Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cant wait for the montage of jimmy waking up, putting on his CASIO calculator watch, attaching the most gaudy bluetooth earpiece, unboxing a brand new pair of Google Glass, putting them on, same deal except a BRAND NEW pair of LA Lights sneakers, one of those electric shock ab excersizer things strapped to his midsection, hot topic LED belt strap(and customized matching LED tie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I know the special prosecutor was described as a hard rear end, but I'm surprised she didn't even suggest doing a plea for the misdemeanors and dropping the felony. Usually prosecutors tend to just want to have some type of win in these low level cases.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know the special prosecutor was described as a hard rear end, but I'm surprised she didn't even suggest doing a plea for the misdemeanors and dropping the felony. Usually prosecutors tend to just want to have some type of win in these low level cases.

im personally curious about whether she's going to end up having a personal reason to go after another lawyer, or if she ends up being mostly an audience surrogate who gets increasingly exasperated at jimmy and chuck's slapfighting

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really want a deleted scene of Mike explaining his plan to an incredibly skeptical Gus.

Mike would just say "I'll take care of it."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She says in the episode that because Jimmy is a lawyer, she doesn't want to go easy on him.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
sure, but that's a declaration that A) is something any lawyer would say in that position, and B) establishes no character traits whatsoever for her. i guess it's possible that the writers decided to make her RoboLawyer v1.0 to avoid gumming up the focus on Odenkirk vs. McKeon, but i doubt gilligan and crew would be that negligent for someone who will figure heavily into the next few episodes, or even seasons.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

She says in the episode that because Jimmy is a lawyer, she doesn't want to go easy on him.

I think she was just using that as a sticking point to a judge, not because she actually believes it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I would be shocked if she has more than one more scene

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TBeats posted:

I think she was just using that as a sticking point to a judge, not because she actually believes it.

"As officers of the court, I feel we should be held to a higher standard. I don't intend to take it easy on your brother just because he's a lawyer."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

I would be shocked if she has more than one more scene

Nah, there'll be a courtroom scene and also a 5 minute silent scene of her with a legal pad.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

"As officers of the court, I feel we should be held to a higher standard. I don't intend to take it easy on your brother just because he's a lawyer."

Which sounds like the most cliche and standard sticking point in the world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ok, but you can't say she doesn't believe something when she flat out says she believes it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, but you can't say she doesn't believe something when she flat out says she believes it.

This is great life advice.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't necessarily think sticking Jimmy with a handful of misdemeanors is going easy on him. Jimmy is exactly the kind of person who would take a lovely plea bargain as long as he barely gets to keep his law license. He could still face disciplinary action by the bar, and Chuck or Chuck's surrogates could drag his name through the mud on their own time.

And proceeding to trial means the possibility of losing. And then she's the prosecutor who loses to a con-job of a lawyer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Worked for Trump....

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

"Tough but fair" doesn't necessarily equal "hard-rear end"

She's going to go after him for the felony, but she's not going to waste her time if Chuck isnt willing or able to testify. I think the prospect of Jimmy fighting the charges didn't factor into Chuck's strategy - and he may well wind up not testifying due to his illness. Which will give Jimmy the leverage to plea out, or even have the charges dropped altogether.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
They will have to find a way out of the disbarment, because if Jimmy is disbarred, he cannot be Saul, his face is on TV commercials. I don't think Jimmy will get away Scott free, I think him being in jail will give him time to make underworld contacts, learn the ins and outs of things like laundering, and all that fun stuff.

Golli posted:

"Tough but fair" doesn't necessarily equal "hard-rear end"

She's going to go after him for the felony, but she's not going to waste her time if Chuck isnt willing or able to testify. I think the prospect of Jimmy fighting the charges didn't factor into Chuck's strategy - and he may well wind up not testifying due to his illness. Which will give Jimmy the leverage to plea out, or even have the charges dropped altogether.

Chuck not willing to come into the courthouse unless it is removed of electronic devices could be a thing. If they do not give in to that, Chuck not being there could be used as a defense, Jimmy does have the right to confront his accusers eye to eye.

If the court give into the no electronic stuff, that could then give Kim and Jimmy a chance to have an out. My guess is that Kim will call the doctor who treated Chuck in as a medical witness and she will testify that his illness is psychosomatic, detailing that she turned on the light in season 1. This with other testimony will cause Chuck to have a panic attack/and or have the court lights back on and so forth. That chink in the armor would hurt Chuck immensely.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It's a fourth-degree felony, not the trial of Hannibal Lecter. No court is going to entertain that sort of disruption in the service of 'reasonable accommodation' for a medically-questionable disability of a witness.

I think Chuck will chicken out on testifying, because he was counting on Jimmy always taking the easy way out. And he was wrong, just like he was sure Jimmy would sneak in at night to steal the tape because it was easier.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Chuck also grossly underestimates Jimmy's abilities as a lawyer. He acknowledges Jimmy's knack for dirty tricks, but you know he's not even entertaining the possibility that Jimmy could put together a competent defense for himself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the bottom line is that if we don't get a trial next week, I'm gonna flip poo poo.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

PassTheRemote posted:

If the court give into the no electronic stuff, that could then give Kim and Jimmy a chance to have an out. My guess is that Kim will call the doctor who treated Chuck in as a medical witness and she will testify that his illness is psychosomatic, detailing that she turned on the light in season 1. This with other testimony will cause Chuck to have a panic attack/and or have the court lights back on and so forth. That chink in the armor would hurt Chuck immensely.

It's possble the judge would make some accomodations (such as holding the proceedings in chambers rather than open court, and having people not bring in electronics). But Chuck would still have to go through a metal detector to enter the judge's chambers.

I think the lawyer asking Chuck if he's willing to see this through could be forshadowing... if Chuck flips out and is unable to be cross examined, that would tank the case. While Hamlin and Low Rent Ron Swanson the PI saw the crime, you have a right to face your accuser. Jimmy would be within his rights to want to question Chuck, even if others witnessed the crime.

This kills the felony charge.

GOOOOOOOO LANDCRABS

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

After trawling IMDB, I finally figured out where I know the judge from; Herman's Head. She was 'sensitivity'.

Welp, thanks for reading!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It's not just the right to face your accuser. Jimmy is also his own attorney. The indignity of being cross-examined in open court by Jimmy is insult to injury.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's probably why Jimmy decided to represent himself. He know he will get to question everything about Chuck and that will make Chuck feel "ill."

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Cojawfee posted:

I think the bottom line is that if we don't get a trial next week, I'm gonna flip poo poo.

Next week it will be a bunch of poetically shot scenes of Jimmy writing and then deleting a semicolon in his opening statement, that will have to be explained in 14 images for those who get distracted along the way.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Fun fact: there's a town inside the National Radio Quiet Zone that people who suffer from Chuck's delusion move to in order to avoid radio waves.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Jimmy calls Raiden, God of Lighting, to the stand as an expert.

"Your honor, I'd like to call a surprise witness."

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So Kim leaving his life is clearly going to be a breaking point for Jimmy turning full on Saul. Anyone want to start a pool on whether she:

- dies
- leaves him because he goes to far this time!
- ends up in prison because of working with him somehow

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

drunken officeparty posted:

Jimmy switches the regular pen for a prank one that shocks you when you click it when Chuck is signing his tesimony, Chuck dies.

Wouldn't actually work because Chuck's "illness" it totally in his head.

I'm betting Jimmy pulls a gambit where he reveals to Chuck and proves to the court that Chuck is mentally ill and unfit to testify, by doing something like making him think he's plugging in something electronic and then showing he didn't when Chuck reacts to it. Or something that's battery-operated but there are no batteries in it, etc.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

EatinCake posted:

So Kim leaving his life is clearly going to be a breaking point for Jimmy turning full on Saul. Anyone want to start a pool on whether she:

- dies

To me, the fact that he surrounded himself with things that remind him of Kim (His tax haven named after her favorite movie and the like) after his ascension to Saul-hood makes me think whatever happened isn't too tragic. So right now I'm betting on the two of them realizing that even though they really love each other, they would be much happier if they stay as far away from each other as possible.

It's still gonna hurt like a motherfucker when the series comes to that point, but not as overblown as it could be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jimmy leaves a pool of water and a cell phone with exposed wires on the witness stand like an electromagnetic IED and when chuck sits in the hot seat he gives the phone a call sending him to abu ghoraib

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe Clea Duvall's character comes back to testify, as she's medically seen Chuck. Plus, she pulled that 'dirty trick' of having his hospital bed actually turned on when it Chuck thought it was off.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Not exactly, it's trying to show that his illness is directly related to his mental state, e.g. being super focused on something else as you mention in this post. He is still not in control of this illness at all as something could easily trigger it, which I'm sure Jimmy plans on doing in full view of a jury.

Yeah good point, I think that's a better way of looking at it.

EatinCake posted:

- dies

Kim up until the last episode didn't want to partner with him, and she seemed to be noticeably irked when Saul asked her why he can't do some of the wills, so getting a vibe of Saul will cross a line more than anything else. Could be interesting if she ends up in prison and the reason why Saul needs the money in bb is to get her out or something, might be too much of a stretch though. But I like the idea of giving Saul a moral motive/reason to stick with Walter + Jesse.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Chuck gave Jimmy a key to the place, never asked for it back and just changed the locks. Chuck is also mentally ill, Jimmy had no idea that he wasn't alone... the only felony is the breaking and entering.

The rest of the list would probably add up to probation at best/worst.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jimmy's in a good spot as far as extenuating circumstances, really:

Chuck is mentally ill and resents the fact his little brother with an admittedly checkered past turned his act around and became a lawyer just like him. Jimmy had been taking care of Chuck as his illness got worse and worse, checking in on him every day and bringing him everything he needed, while also trying to get by as a public defender. Chuck has the locks changed right around the time he has a huge mental break, Jimmy then had to break in to make sure his brother was safe and not endangering himself with his paranoid delusions (after all, the doctor warned that with all the gas lanterns and the camp stove and no way to call for help, Chuck wasn't safe by himself). He tells his very upset brother what he clearly wants to hear, hoping to bring him back from la la land (just never admit it's actually true), and is relieved to see his brother doing better. Then he finds out his brother went to great lengths to tape record that to try and get him disbarred due to his longstanding and freely-admitted resentment of Jimmy, and Jimmy overreacted a little.

Do a convincing job of explaining the whole sad story and the felony gets downgraded to a misdemeanor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Breaking Bad (and now) Better Call Saul always shoot scenes in Mexico with a yellow filter. The doctor was in Mexico, Mike never took the drugs across the border. Mexico scenes are always shot with that yellow tinge, sometimes to indicate a flashback as well. The only exception I can think of are the modern-day scenes at Don Eladio's house.

This was from pages back but I don't care.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Jimmy will call in a neuroscientist who will explain that our brains function by electrical signals, and then point out that Chuck The gently caress cannot be afraid of electricity when he is electricity. Everyone will applaud and Chuck will immediately be disbarred and have his teeth removed and be sent to the home for criminally insane bad brothers.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

Jimmy will call in a neuroscientist who will explain that our brains function by electrical signals, and then point out that Chuck The gently caress cannot be afraid of electricity when he is electricity. Everyone will applaud and Chuck will immediately be disbarred and have his teeth removed and be sent to the home for criminally insane bad brothers.

That's a p cool genesis story for the joker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

They will have to find a way out of the disbarment, because if Jimmy is disbarred, he cannot be Saul, his face is on TV commercials. I don't think Jimmy will get away Scott free, I think him being in jail will give him time to make underworld contacts, learn the ins and outs of things like laundering, and all that fun stuff.

Jimmy doesn't need to go to prison to learn the ins and outs of money laundering. Until he decided to get a law degree, he was making a living as a literal con man. I'm sure he understands perfectly well how to sneak around just below the law.

EatinCake posted:

- dies

I think it'll be either
(good ending) Jimmy decides that being a criminal lawyer suits him better than being Matlock, starts operating as Saul, and Kim decides that she can't associate herself with him any more because her career as a Real Lawyer is taking off. She says she's going to leave but Jimmy kindly lets her take over W/M, removes his name, and leaves her alone, immersing himself fully in the criminal lawyer world that he fits so well; or,

(bad ending) all the poo poo that Jimmy keeps pulling ruins his reputation and Kim's by association -- Mesa Verde pulls out, she's blacklisted in Albuquerque -- so she leaves him in disgust and is never heard from again. In his sorrow over losing Kim (and his brother too), Jimmy burns all his bridges and decides to start living as Saul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Digiwizzard posted:

Checkmate atheists

• Locked thread