Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Haha, that count as an emergency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Standard might be playable, thank loving god.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
When you gently caress up so badly your 8 annual scheduled ban list updates aren't enough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I needed a budget-ish modern deck because of the death of standard so I put this together roughly. I had a large swath of the cards for a version of this still laying around from their times in standard, minus the enemy fetches and the b/r fastlands. It's actually not bad for the type of pile it is. I run four Swiftspear because any less is just stupid.

This is about to get lost in "lol Felidar Guardian" chat but I've always been tinkering with a couple of different Mardu builds for Modern in my head and this is one I saw the other day. I think this type of deck may want Bob oer Bedlam Reveler but I'm not 100% sure.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alris posted:

In fairness, it is an incredibly Mardu list.

It is Mardu Tokens.

edit: loving lolol

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holy Moley it's deaaaaaad

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

b-b-but it's totally beatable you guys! stop whining everyone from casual to pro level that wondered why the card wasn't banned!

Thank loving god, looks like I'm playing some standard again.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean their logic doesn't make sense (of course new decks are going to be experimental and unoptimized and will lose) but w/e I'm proud they actually did it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea why they didn't do it two days ago but good job wizards

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean their logic doesn't make sense (of course new decks are going to be experimental and unoptimized and will lose) but w/e I'm proud they actually did it.

it's their excuse because they're not going to admit that it was everyone immediately going "wtf, you did a controversial ban of top in legacy but you can't even ban the thing everyone knows is breaking standard?" that made this happen

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
loving finally

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

it's their excuse because they're not going to admit that it was everyone immediately going "wtf, you did a controversial ban of top in legacy but you can't even ban the thing everyone knows is breaking standard?" that made this happen

They didn't want to admit the collective vomiting from the community and bad PR was the reason.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The best part is the saheli had dropped so much that mtg finance folks were picking her back up again to make a buck. All that lost money in specing for so many.

Good.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

The best part is the saheli had dropped so much that mtg finance folks were picking her back up again to make a buck. All that lost money in specing for so many.

Good.

I revel in their tears

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
The two cards to have ever been emergency banned: Memory Jar, and a 1/4 for 4.

Why in the actual gently caress didn't they do it Monday? Christ.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Uhhhh I think you'll find that this was an ADDENDUM and not an emergency ban ok guys

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
They even mentioned the pizza.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

sit on my Facebook posted:

Uhhhh I think you'll find that this was an ADDENDUM and not an emergency ban ok guys

that's another funny part

It's your game WotC stop pretending there are rules that surround what you're allowed to ban, print, etc. You can do literally whatever you want with your own property and the only thing stopping you is yourself.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
Remember that Wizards has much better MTGO data than they show us, including win percentages not just per deck but per matchup. It's totally possible to see enough data in two days to realize Copycat is even better than before, especially in the Mardu matchup.

That being said it's inexcusable they didn't ban Guardian Monday. They should have just banned it with Emrakul and Copter avoiding this whole mess, but better late than never.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ThePeavstenator posted:

that's another funny part

It's your game WotC stop pretending there are rules that surround what you're allowed to ban, print, etc. You can do literally whatever you want with your own property and the only thing stopping you is yourself.

Ahem, I think you'll find the Reserved List and the Banned List are iron clad contracts dictated by the finest of legalese and enforced by the most ruthless of rules lawyers.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

whateverfor posted:

Remember that Wizards has much better MTGO data than they show us, including win percentages not just per deck but per matchup. It's totally possible to see enough data in two days to realize Copycat is even better than before, especially in the Mardu matchup.

That being said it's inexcusable they didn't ban Guardian Monday. They should have just banned it with Emrakul and Copter avoiding this whole mess, but better late than never.

I mean goons even predicted that Copycat was going to get even better now that it had access to so much more efficient artifact removal to deal with it's one challenger, Vehicles.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well you can't say they aren't responsive...

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

kirtar posted:

They even mentioned the pizza.

Elaborate please?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
They've really only stumbled lately with BFZ and the printing of Guardian and Emrakul imo

The sets as a whole are quite good

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

goth smoking cloves posted:

Elaborate please?

https://twitter.com/samstod/status/856967927957831680

Also,
Amonkhet is fantastic in draft at minimum.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Even a stopped clock that controls what time it is and people are yelling at it what time it is is right twice a day.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Speaking of getting lost in the Fieldar Guardian Ban chat: I made a new Brewhaus thread that I'm about to go completely redo the drat OP to reflect the lack of Cat Combo!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818520

WE CAN ALL CAST MOUTH AT THE CAT SNAKE.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So all the major sites are offering refunds for banned cards. Are they going to refund saheeli even though she wasn't banned? Please be no.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

cheetah7071 posted:

Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

Challax Brah. The only reason people are so worked up now is because WOTC, for the most part, makes an awesome game that we all really enjoy playing, spend a shitload of money on, and care wayyyyy too much about for it to be healthy.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 27, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sickening posted:

So all the major sites are offering refunds for banned cards. Are they going to refund saheeli even though she wasn't banned? Please be no.

I'm assuming probably not. I don't think her playability is linked as closely to felidar guardian as counterbalance is to top. Yes, it's much worse without felidar guardian, but counterbalance is hot garbage without top.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

kirtar posted:

I'm assuming probably not. I don't think her playability is linked as closely to felidar guardian as counterbalance is to top. Yes, it's much worse without felidar guardian, but counterbalance is hot garbage without top.

I don't think Saheeli will see any play without the cat. It was not played at all pre Aether Revolt.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cheetah7071 posted:

I started playing in Khans block and it owned so yes.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

cheetah7071 posted:

Set quality has always been pretty hit-or-miss, we're just looking at it from the perspective of a pair of high profile failures (Gideon & Cat Combo) rather than the period's successes (a bunch of fun limited formats, actual breath breathed into older formats).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ThePeavstenator posted:

I started playing in Khans block and it owned so yes.

Jeskai Tokens, we've not seen your kind since :love:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Niton posted:

Set quality has always been pretty hit-or-miss, we're just looking at it from the perspective of a pair of high profile failures (Gideon & Cat Combo) rather than the period's successes (a bunch of fun limited formats, actual breath breathed into older formats).

Gideon isn't even really that terrible. They just refuse to reprint Hero's Downfall which would have made even Copycat less of a problem.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing is, the format might be good now? Lol

Hopefully the fact that they change their mind about everything means the reserved list is on the chopping block :can:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cheetah7071 posted:

They really felt they could do no wrong (in terms of growing the base) from 09-14. Every change they have made has been made under the caveat of "game is still growing, attendance is up, this is working!" But what comes up must come down. Through a combination of changes, like removing alot of instant speed answers, overpowering marquee planeswalkers/story cards, and changing things that used to be staples of the game and saying they were "too powerful," have all come to bite them on the rear end.

Take for example the axing of Birds of Paradise as a one-drop. When you used to have 2-3 mana accelerator one-drops in standard, now we have none. Why? The reason stated is they were too powerful. They were not too powerful, the 2-3-4-5 drops are. Hitting your land drops and stop-this-or-die fatties on curve (or in case of Marvel, a broken curve) has never been more important for standard since I began playing. They have continued to remove the only ways a slower deck can come back from doing nothing on their turn. Turn 1-2 has never been more important to the game. You screw up one turn, you're losing. All in the cause of removing complexity, or feelbads, or whatever, from the game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am sure the major retailers were in their ear because I can only assume sales for standard were way down as well. I can imagine tcgplayer, star city, and the rest are going to have a huge selling night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cheetah7071 posted:

Up until BFZ, standard was typically quite diverse. The whole "Standard consists of exactly 2.5 decks and nothing beats them" thing has only really happened for the last year and a half or so, and it's not like we didn't have the internet and a massive playerbase when Tarkir was coming out.

It's too generous to say that this is just because of a couple isolated slips, though. A lot of conscious design decisions brought us here. Felidar Guardian may be a random accident, but Emrakul is a direct result of wizards deliberately pushing the power level of its ~storyline~ cards and refusing to print any sort of decent removal, answers, or hate.