Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That is so good and I am so jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Only made it out a couple of times this winter, but I saw some birds that were new to me:

Rock wren by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Rufous hummingbird by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Island scrub jay by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Went out for a walk today.

This little flew onto a branch a couple of meters away. I started to back off so I could get him in focus (min focus distance is about 5m) but he jumped down onto the path and followed me :saddowns:
I stopped and he came within about 1/2 a meter away and just looked at me waiting for me to move again. He was looking for bugs under the leaves I was disturbing.

Toutouwai, the New Zealand robin by Marc, on Flickr

Korimako, the bellbird by Marc, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Do these work all together (and can you name them all)?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
They do work together, but I might crop in a little tighter to have each owl fill the frame more.

Names
L-R, T-B
Sam, Pat, Lee
Jamie, Sandy, Bobby
Alex, Gerry, Andy

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

They do work together, but I might crop in a little tighter to have each owl fill the frame more.
Some day in the future I'm going to have close-up pictures of all these owls that will allow me to do this (some of these are severe crops already).

quote:

Names
L-R, T-B
Sam, Pat, Lee
Jamie, Sandy, Bobby
Alex, Gerry, Andy
Wasn't expecting that, but now those are their official names. Thanks!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think

Snowy, Northern Hawk,Long Eared
Saw-whet,pigmy,great grey
Accidentally googled whole checking spelling of saw where, looks like a youngster of some sort, short Eared.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Marcia, Carol, Greg
Jan, Alice, Peter
Cindy, Mike, Bobby

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Furiously posted:

Marcia, Carol, Greg
Jan, Alice, Peter
Cindy, Mike, Bobby

Sad I didn't get to that first but glad that someone else did. Rad photos by the way, even if it is impossible to dissociate from the Brady bunch

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

Do these work all together (and can you name them all)?

The fact that one is a juvenile annoys me more than it should,but it's a cool idea .

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The fact that one is a juvenile annoys me more than it should,but it's a cool idea .
Just for you

Also replaced my barred owl with an awake one.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

Just for you

Also replaced my barred owl with an awake one.

Perfect!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Mirror the bottom right one so that it matches the bottom left one!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those owl shots are gorgeous.

Discovery Park this morning. The sunshine warmed everything up nicely.

This golden-crowned sparrow fell asleep in the sunshine. I have a whole sequence of him from awake and looking at me to dozing off in the sunshine.

So much effort put into the territorial call by this male Anna's hummingbird!

golden-crowned sparrow hiding behind branches

I've also started working a bit more on videography. I expect that my planned upgrade to the D500 this spring will greatly improve my results, but they aren't too bad so far either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWktaaiTd9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnzBQVfoJ58

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2017

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Two posts in a row I guess but it's been a week. This morning was sunny again in Seattle. :)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 26, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
No grouse for me this spring :(, but I was excited to get out yesterday and check out some other big birds.

Dam Road Turkey-9788 on Flickr

Dam Road Turkey-9762 on Flickr

Dam Road Turkey-9722 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Made it to the coast this weekend. The wrens were from Aņo Nuevo State Park where the elephant seal colony is. I wish I'd had a little wider dof on the one with the lizard on the same log- that would have been a really cool shot.

Wren square crop-0713 on Flickr

Wren versus Lizard-0683 on Flickr

Stopped at a farm stand the next day and there was a pretty leucistic sparrow hanging out. I think it's a white-crowned.

Leucistic sparrow 7-0816 on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I saw some pigeons at the weekend

Kereru, the New Zealand pigeon by Marc, on Flickr

Kereru, the New Zealand pigeon by Marc, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_9269.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Is this a red tailed hawk?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think so... It's clearly molting. I think with a ferruginous you'd have a lighter panel in from the tips of the primaries even in a juvie bird, and I think rough-legged would look more delicate and maybe have a broader dark band on the tail (plus a white rump). Any other photos?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What about a red shouldered?
That was a beautiful leucistic sparrow btw, almost looks like a snow bunting!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Stopped at a farm stand the next day and there was a pretty leucistic sparrow hanging out. I think it's a white-crowned.

Leucistic sparrow 7-0816 on Flickr
Oh wow, I love this

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

What about a red shouldered?
That was a beautiful leucistic sparrow btw, almost looks like a snow bunting!

Thanks! Yeah- I was hoping for snow bunting, although this is pretty cool too. Someone just sent me a photo of a leucistic male sage-grouse, now that is :swoon:

I don't think it could be red-shouldered- for one, I don't think the wings are the right shape, and for another, I don't think melanistic morphs of Red-shouldered are very common compared with dark morphs of red-tail, swainson's, rough-legged, or ferrug.

I'm now about 50:50 on that being ferruginous.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Birdseed Bandit by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
from Powell Butte in Portland, OR this morning

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_9441.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9457.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9494.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9499.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9517.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Cold birds

DSC_9678.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9682.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9861.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9804.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_9893.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Does anyone use a circular polarizer for bird photography? Thinking about getting one of those Canon drop-in polarizers, but they're rather pricey.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What glare are you hoping to neutralize?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

Does anyone use a circular polarizer for bird photography? Thinking about getting one of those Canon drop-in polarizers, but they're rather pricey.

I picked a comically sized 95mm one up for waterfowl but haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm going to have to try to shoot the grackles at my feeder with a circular polarizer - the lovely blue / purple on their heads is a structural colour (as opposed to a pigment) and I wonder if it's polarized.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

I'm going to have to try to shoot the grackles at my feeder with a circular polarizer - the lovely blue / purple on their heads is a structural colour (as opposed to a pigment) and I wonder if it's polarized.

Iridescence should be polarized since it depends on the alignment of 2 boundary layers, but if I remember correctly not all structural colors are coherent scatter so not all would be polarized more than any directional light bouncing off a surface. What I'm not sure is whether a polarizer would help (reduce highlights but keep color) or hurt (just make everything black). Please report back!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Yes but it's only good in two scenarios that I have found so far: (1) waterfowl and ocean birds on/in/near the water (2) birds near water in the tropics with bright light causing glare on the water

I presume (2) may also apply to shooting in the ice/snow on bright sunny days too.

If there are other uses please let me know. (I really like it on my shorter lenses for landscapes in bright sunlight, especially near water or ice, but just haven't found it as useful on the bigger lenses)

vvvv ahh, that makes sense. I might try that some time. vvvv

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 22, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it could be nice if you were set up to get a raptor in flight against a blue sky, or wanted to emphasize contrast between sky and clouds in the background. You might have to have a nest or perch staked out so you could predict where the bird would be and know how to set the polarizer. But I've never tried that.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Seems like it could be nice if you were set up to get a raptor in flight against a blue sky, or wanted to emphasize contrast between sky and clouds in the background. You might have to have a nest or perch staked out so you could predict where the bird would be and know how to set the polarizer. But I've never tried that.

Yeah, I'm specifically thinking about getting a little more sky contrast. But given all the other poo poo you have to worry about, I can easily see myself forgetting or not having time to rotate the filter, and just sacrificing a stop of light for no reason.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Please report back!
The small group of Common Grackles that often visit my feeder were out today and I took a bunch of pictures from my couch, just randomly spinning the circular polarizer by around 30-45 degrees between shots. The birds were moving around a lot, and they react to my movements inside, usually by flying away. They also moved into and out of the sun quite a bit, but a few of them were reasonably cooperative for a few seconds at a time.

These are all through my balcony french door, a big double-paned glass plate that is only a little dirty right now - it was cleaned about 3 weeks ago. I'm just putting up a few here, the full set of 13 I uploaded is on my Flickr.
Polarized Grackles 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Polarized Grackles 4 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Polarized Grackles 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Polarized Grackles 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Polarized Grackles 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

As far as I can tell, the polarizer does nothing to the colours of the grackles' feathers. I didn't notice an effect looking through the viewfinder, either, though the changes to the sky in the background was obvious (these are fairly heavily cropped, full images included sky at around 90 degrees to the sun).

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Whitehead doing pullups I think

whitehead hanging around by Marc, on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A few birds I saw this weekend

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Did that last guy have stick? Smash?