Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

One Nation is mostly contained within the Ipswich area. ALP is only hosed if the plague goes south or inner north while the LNP claws back it's natural Gold Coast stronghold and stabs Brisbane in its cold black heart.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/07/one-nation-support-at-the-2016-federal-election.html

Come on mate, it took me 5 seconds to find this. For the only person in this thread who has any hope left for the hellscape that is Queensland you really don't know much about the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
The greens ground game in south brisbane is already ramping up, they've been running door-knocking and fundraising for a couple of months now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Sparticle posted:

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/07/one-nation-support-at-the-2016-federal-election.html

Come on mate, it took me 5 seconds to find this. For the only person in this thread who has any hope left for the hellscape that is Queensland you really don't know much about the state.

The northern seats are more likely to preference flow to Labor.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

The northern seats are more likely to preference flow to Labor.

I'm talking about the idea that One Nation support is being contained within Ipswich.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sparticle posted:

I'm talking about the idea that One Nation support is being contained within Ipswich.

I mean sure there could be a few north and south but I would expect a cluster to appear West more than anywhere else.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I've read a few comments pages about this and there's plenty of people saying it's offensive but not one explanation on why it's offensive.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

starkebn posted:

I've read a few comments pages about this and there's plenty of people saying it's offensive but not one explanation on why it's offensive.

Source your quotes.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

I mean sure there could be a few north and south but I would expect a cluster to appear West more than anywhere else.

Ipswich is as west as Labor is left. Queensland is not just the South East.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
phon gunna win balance of power

E:
"Philip Dorling writes that many commentators failed to note that One Nation had run candidates in just 35 of the state's 59 lower house seats. In the seats it contested, the party won 8.47 per cent of first preference votes and in 10 electorates it won more than 10 per cent. This is the figure analysts should have emphasised, says Dorling."

asio fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
"but in the paper entitled Western Australia: Epic fail or huge win?"

Thanks Australia Institute

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rational actors in a free market, etc. Those projections sure are truthy, and have the optimism of similar claims for the Greens.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

ewe2 posted:

Rational actors in a free market, etc. Those projections sure are truthy, and have the optimism of similar claims for the Greens.

I won't insult your connection to Qld outside the SE corner and agree with you that yes, PHON has the same chance as the greens.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

And now for the new bike helmet kerfuffle: Kids and mobile phones. What age is too young? How much more can our authoritarian regime push its hentai like tentacles into our private lives? When personal computers were in their infancy (Exidy sorcerer, TRS80 etc) everyone was falling over themselves to get kids involved with technology now it's taboo till 14? On the one hand I get that mobile addiction and phone related sleep deprivation are real issues and there is scant evidence that using a phone makes people better at using technology. In particular developing the skills needed to service that technology but regulating for what should be a parental responsibility?

This is definitely a family thing that doesn't require regulating. We're trying to keep SMG away from phones and stuff (she's only 17 months old, after all) mostly for it's impact on social skills - we've seen nieces, nephews and cousins who would rather play on their iPad then play with their friends at birthday parties, for example.

For a kid a mobile phone is just another toy but it's one that can take up all your time and offer multiple entertainment options. But if your kid was playing with a single toy all the time and ignoring friends and family to do so wouldn't you want to wean them off a bit?

Of course on the flipside it's a lot easier to keep a kid happy with something like that as they can entertain themselves quietly when you need to do various household chores, etc. It's all about balance I guess - I played a lot of video games as a kid but I wouldn't ditch friends to do so, and that was partly due to my parents encouragement to do stuff other than play games all the time.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
“We are heavily involved already in the fight against this evil caliphate and if the Americans want additional Australian assistance I think we should certainly be prepared to consider it, we should be disposed to do it,” the former prime minister told 2GB.

Literally the day after Anzac day...

LEST WE FORGET

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sparticle posted:

Not many seats out further west than Ipswich. Queensland has those mega seats that cover huge chunks of land if you go out much further.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sparticle posted:

Considering there's three seats between Ipswich and the border, yeah it kind of is the west in an electoral sense.

EDIT: Beaten by the dav.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Considering there's three seats between Ipswich and the border, yeah it kind of is the west in an electoral sense.

EDIT: Beaten by the dav.

pipped at the post

starkebn
May 18, 2004

hooman posted:

“We are heavily involved already in the fight against this evil caliphate and if the Americans want additional Australian assistance I think we should certainly be prepared to consider it, we should be disposed to do it,” the former prime minister told 2GB.

Literally the day after Anzac day...

LEST WE FORGET

no, but you see he said it after ANZAC day, you're just not allowed to forget ANZAC day on ANZAC day

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Real housewives of Sydney lmfao

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That kid who wanted to drive to Perth isn't getting charged with anything.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

good, hope he understands what he did was pretty dangerous though

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

no, but you see he said it after ANZAC day, you're just not allowed to forget ANZAC day on ANZAC day

Well you know.. poo poo happens..

*long minutes of nodding*

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So given Turkey's attacking the US backed SDF in full force now can we expect to head to the beaches of Gallipoli and finally win our great hurrah?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

hooman posted:

Well you know.. poo poo happens..

*long minutes of nodding*

:discourse:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

One Nation Calls For Tighter Restriction On Who Can Emigrate To Their Party [Backburner]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*pulls out Time Machine*

:allears:

Okay, now lets add in my 2018 projection:

:scrunt:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

Not many seats out further west than Ipswich. Queensland has those mega seats that cover huge chunks of land if you go out much further.

What I'm getting at here is that you are ignoring PHON influence in areas outside of the southeast. PHON is huge in the regional southwest (also the central coast). Half of my extended family live there and they all voted One Nation in the last federal election. It may take just one of these electorates to give them the balance of power (I sure am glad we have no upper house). It might not happen this election or even with PHON but eventually they are going to vote in someone just a horrible. I wouldn't even blame them, sure their anger at the system is directed in the wrong place but that doesn't make it any less real. They know urban areas don't give a gently caress about them and they are right. You said it yourself by pretending that One Nation support stops at Ipswich.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

starkebn posted:

She admitted it was inappropriate and deleted it so they can just say OFFENSIVE and let people assume the worst, even though it was barely an eyebrow raiser statement on remembering the impact of war - something like "lest we forget Manus naruu Syria Palestine"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But the map in their peak is a cluster around Ipswich West?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

But the map in their peak is a cluster around Ipswich West?

You're right, nothing has changed in the last 20 years. The Nationals still have lots of power within the LNP and country folk still trust them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sparticle posted:

Your right, nothing has changed in the last 20 years. The Nationals still have lots of power within the LNP and country folk still trust them.

I agree with all of the above.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

asio posted:

I won't insult your connection to Qld outside the SE corner and agree with you that yes, PHON has the same chance as the greens.

It's not PHON's chances so much as the media whiplash and wild assumptions. They're reaping a protest vote but projecting anything beyond that is bunkum. They'll get further in Queensland than anywhere else, though. To me it's a threat to other right parties more than a significant powerbase.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anidav posted:

*pulls out Time Machine*

:allears:

Okay, now lets add in my 2018 projection:

:scrunt:

scrunt would be a step up

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I mean I'm sure it's possible for PHON to make gains elsewhere but any gains they make has to start in Ipswich. It is the Mothership.

Queensland is literally Metal Slug 3.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Also, it hasn't been a good 12 months for PHON. They've had constant gently caress up after gently caress up; they're bleeding candidates left and right, constant in-party conflicts, Rod Culleton shat the bed for them and the WA election, while actually a decent outcome for PHON, wasn't the glorious victory they had been hyping it up to be.

During the federal election, they were enjoying that boost of swing voter love but now that's gone. The longer the QLD ALP put off the state election, the worse PHON's situation will be because they cannot hold a party together long enough.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

If the ALP hold out long enough maybe Hanson will be back in prison. All the campaign finance poo poo it looks like she's pulled can't be helping her cause.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also, it hasn't been a good 12 months for PHON. They've had constant gently caress up after gently caress up; they're bleeding candidates left and right, constant in-party conflicts, Rod Culleton shat the bed for them and the WA election, while actually a decent outcome for PHON, wasn't the glorious victory they had been hyping it up to be.

During the federal election, they were enjoying that boost of swing voter love but now that's gone. The longer the QLD ALP put off the state election, the worse PHON's situation will be because they cannot hold a party together long enough.

Do we have evidence that PHON voters pay attention to the news other than the sports pages?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They make poorly informed comment on everything so they obviously read the paper and internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Starshark posted:

Do we have evidence that PHON voters pay attention to the news other than the sports pages?

PHON encourages a conspiracy theorist's attitude toward media and dissent. Anything that agrees with them is them winning, anything that disagrees is a plot to hide the Truth and Righteousness of their Cause.

• Locked thread