Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yahoo is second only to Every Local Newspaper when it comes to having consistently awful and racist comment sections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
e: accidental double post

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Maverick Rowan is leaving State to try and catch on in a pro league that is not State. Considering that Terry Henderson might not get his 6th-year waiver, and Omer Yurtseven might yet go pro, and Lennard Freeman is probably more of a mascot after his injuries, that doesn't leave much coming back next year from an already bad team.

Keatts did sign point guard Lavar Batts away from VCU, plus that grad transfer from Rutgers, and there's a revolving door of other coaching-carousel casualties and grad transfers in Raleigh right now, so the roster will likely get filled up. But they might need nametags in practice for a while.

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 14, 2017

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
"Black people have no morals."

Jesus Christ what the gently caress is wrong with people

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Do these people know Tubby Smith is black?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Do these people know Tubby Smith is black?

Whoa now, Tubby is One Of The Good Ones.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

elentar posted:

Maverick Rowan is leaving State to try and catch on in a pro league that is not State. Considering that Terry Henderson might not get his 6th-year waiver, and Omer Yurtseven might yet go pro, and Lennard Freeman is probably more of a mascot after his injuries, that doesn't leave much coming back next year from an already bad team.

Keatts did sign point guard Lavar Batts away from VCU, plus that grad transfer from Rutgers, and there's a revolving door of other coaching-carousel casualties and grad transfers in Raleigh right now, so the roster will likely get filled up. But they might need nametags in practice for a while.

:confused: we sent one to UVA, that's it. It's pretty early in the Rutgers coaching cycle for another wave of mass transfers.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Kim Jong Il posted:

:confused: we sent one to UVA, that's it. It's pretty early in the Rutgers coaching cycle for another wave of mass transfers.

Yeah, I'm real dumb, I added the UVA one on there. Being horrifically distracted by a mountain of poo poo in actual life doesn't make for good posting, gonna go take care of that other stuff.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Dango Bango posted:

It's a really bad look. Morrow and Jacobsen both started and/or played significant minutes and we've lost two others (Jeriah Horne and Nick Fuller - Horne had a lot of potential).

Yeah, Miles is out, the only question is weather to fire him now or wait a year. Either way the 2017-18 season will be ugly, but firing him now would allow the new coach to start on recruiting for 2018-19. On the other hand, they may get a better candidate by waiting and letting Miles be associated with next year's terrible season, nobody wants to start off with a terrible record their first year, even if they know they won't be blamed for it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/854501096445943809

Eligible to play next year as a grad transfer

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, Grayson Allen is coming back instead of going to the draft.

:geno:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

Oh, Grayson Allen is coming back instead of going to the draft.

:geno:

I hope he blows his knees out and ruins any chance of him playing beyond college.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I hope he blows his knees out and ruins any chance of him playing beyond college.

You're the best mod.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

iospace posted:

In addition, I hope this happens while he tries tripping somebody.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some kind of state series coming, I imagine.

https://twitter.com/jamesbhawkins/status/856677637154123777

Greg Kampe is Oakland's coach and Bacari Alexander is Detroit's.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some kind of state series coming, I imagine.

https://twitter.com/jamesbhawkins/status/856677637154123777

Greg Kampe is Oakland's coach and Bacari Alexander is Detroit's.

Good on Izzo & Beilein if so. Fear of helping in state teams recruit keeps a lot of logical series from happening.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Grittybeard posted:

Good on Izzo & Beilein if so. Fear of helping in state teams recruit keeps a lot of logical series from happening.

College coaches seem more paranoid about everything compared to the pros. Moreso in football, obviously.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've spent plenty of time making fun of KU for ducking Wichita State but honestly Missouri should at least be rotating through 1 or 2 of Missouri State/UMKC/SLU every year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

We do play Oakland almost every year fwiw. I have no idea when the last time we did anything with U of D was though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

I've spent plenty of time making fun of KU for ducking Wichita State but honestly Missouri should at least be rotating through 1 or 2 of Missouri State/UMKC/SLU every year.

SLU refuses to play iirc, they got SMS in football this year, and they got their asses kicked by UMKC under Kim Anderson.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

SLU refuses to play iirc

What exactly is the history that caused the entire city of St Louis to hate Mizzou? It must have been something that started while Norm was around.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

What exactly is the history that caused the entire city of St Louis to hate Mizzou? It must have been something that started while Norm was around.

They just don't want to play because they don't want Mizzou to get a foothold, which doesn't really make sense considering Columbia is less than 2 hours away. I don't know why Mizzou has issues recruiting STL though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought that ISU, Iowa, Drake, and UNI used to play a real tournament, but I think all they do now is the two smaller teams rotate which of the big teams they play every year. ISU and Iowa obviously play every year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mike_V posted:

They just don't want to play because they don't want Mizzou to get a foothold, which doesn't really make sense considering Columbia is less than 2 hours away. I don't know why Mizzou has issues recruiting STL though.

The Billikens have a stranglehold on the area, duh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought that ISU, Iowa, Drake, and UNI used to play a real tournament, but I think all they do now is the two smaller teams rotate which of the big teams they play every year. ISU and Iowa obviously play every year.

This is a pretty recent change. Prior to like 5 years ago Iowa and ISU played both UNI and Drake every year, and rotated home and away with them. I think they both got sick of playing at UNI every other year so they created the dumb Hy Vee classic in Des Moines that no one seems to actually care about. UNI fans especially hate it because it took away their biggest home game every year.

E: maybe Drake fans hate it too, I dunno. You would actually have to find one to know for sure. They still lose one big OOC game, but at least the one they get is in their home city

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 25, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Counterpoint: gently caress everything Wichita-related

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
In Valley news:

quote:

Murray State and Valparaiso have received visits from Missouri Valley Conference officials this week as the league seeks to replace departing Wichita State,

The MVC also has campus visits planned for Omaha and Wisconsin-Milwaukee, according to the Peoria Journal Star. MVC officials, per policy, aren't commenting on the search process.
Christ.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Last I heard, UW-Milwaukee's athletic department was a giant disaster so I don't know how they're looking to move anywhere. To wit:
http://deadspin.com/uw-milwaukee-radio-play-by-play-guy-quits-burns-every-1771178090
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/uwm-will-pass-on-postseason-basketball-tournaments-b99685711z1-371817131.html

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Oh wow, maybe Menzies isn't as bad as I thought

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mark Smith, Mr. Basketball from Illinois, committed to Illinois.

Nice to get a guy to pick Illinois over MSU.

Edit - and Kentucky too, but I don't know if he was seriously considering them.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 27, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Early returns on the question of whether Brad Underwood can recruit Illinois are coming back positive.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Just pump a little more money into the Illinois AAU scene and watch the returns flow in

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

I didn't realize any of this. Is that why the Badgers didn't play the Panthers this year?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/857011561818357763

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fudge

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/858061056001880065

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Until they hire an agent it doesn't mean anything, people seriously need to stop freaking out about this every year

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apropos of nothing I just learned that John Chaney once won a D2 championship at a school called Cheney State.

Looked him up after I got reminded of when he stormed a press conference and threatened to kill John Calipari back when he was at UMass.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Apropos of nothing I just learned that John Chaney once won a D2 championship at a school called Cheney State.

Looked him up after I got reminded of when he stormed a press conference and threatened to kill John Calipari back when he was at UMass.

I mean honestly whoever stopped him should be ashamed of themselves

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Milovan Drecun posted:

I didn't realize any of this. Is that why the Badgers didn't play the Panthers this year?

Possibly, probably a combination of that and the series contract being up. Green Bay re-upped, but Milwaukee wanted more home games. When the Badgers play at Marquette every other year, another Milwaukee game against a pretty weak squad s a tough sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Tubby Smith cannot stop loving up lol

• Locked thread