Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That reattaching head scene has to be a reference to Star Trek? Shine LED on wires, magically reconnect them, thanks Chief O'Brien!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
That clip of the Engineers streaming toward the ship is very

They seem to treat the ship with a kind of spiritual expectation. Like they don't have any goo no more. Presumably why they don't instantly blow it out of the sky.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Can someone post the video y'all are talking about? I saw the prologue one where Shaw reattaches David's head, but I didn't see one with the Engineers in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's the same one. Those people you saw on then ground were engineers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah like the entire population of the town is flipping out in celebration and flooding into that multi-kilometer wide open area in the middle of town.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I had to go brush up a bit on the poem, and now I think it's pretty clear what drives David: the engineers are Ozymandias, he is the sculptor, and Shaw is an integral part of his sculpture that will live on well after he and the engineers are gone.

He's not just delivering a sick one liner in that scene, he's mocking them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wuffles posted:

I had to go brush up a bit on the poem, and now I think it's pretty clear what drives David: the engineers are Ozymandias, he is the sculptor, and Shaw is an integral part of his sculpture that will live on well after he and the engineers are gone.

He's not just delivering a sick one liner in that scene, he's mocking them.

Nah you're reading it too deep pro. He's really just snubbing James Cameron and Hicks/Ripleys line "...nuke the site from orbit..."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

Holy poo poo you guys usually can't shut up about comics and here James Stokoe comes and drops one of the most beautifully drawn Alien comics out there and not a word or hint of warning from this thread? Crazy.

If you haven't heard of Stokoe go read Orc Stain and Godzilla: Half Century War.

I wish we could get more Orc Stain but holy balls a Stokoe alien comic heck yes.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I'm so excited for this movie that I might actually read a comic book.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IMB posted:

I'm so excited for this movie that I might actually read a comic book.
Did you know that there are a lot of Aliens comic books??? Allow me to tell you about my personal favorites. Furthermore

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that comic with the good cover any good? I read like 10 alien comics and maybe 1.5 were good.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xenomrph posted:

Did you know that there are a lot of Aliens comic books??? Allow me to tell you about my personal favorites. Furthermore

Holy poo poo, you annoy the piss out of me 92% of the time, but this was some bravo self-parody.

Also, if the robot that proxy-impregnated you with an alien tentacle baby asks you to put his head back on, you say NO. The most you maybe do is put it on a nice cart so you can push it around.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I tried shopping for alien comics on amazon and the googles and I can't figure out if there's any chronology to them or not. At least not ~ALL~ of them. It's like, oh these 3 go together but I haven no clue about these other 3. There should be a flow chart.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I have some graphic novelization of the original movie from the 70s, a ~4 issue Alien 3 retelling, and one called Aliens Genocide that I've never read. I like the retro alien drawings for sure.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

So if she doesn't re-attach David's head so he can fly the ship, what exactly is her alternative? Die alone on a desolate alien world? She's hosed either way, might as well take a chance.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wuffles posted:

So if she doesn't re-attach David's head so he can fly the ship, what exactly is her alternative? Die alone on a desolate alien world? She's hosed either way, might as well take a chance.
She knows it's a one-way trip too. I don't think she expects the Engineers to say "well, you found us, here's the secrets of your existence" and wish her a safe trip back to earth again.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Shaw is so dum. She should have just left David on LV-233 and just end the franchise right there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
When David saves Shaw from the storm, what was their conversation afterwards? Is there a sense that David saved her because he wanted to or was it just due to his programming? I don't remember what their interaction was.

What I'm wondering is if there was any sense in Prometheus that David "liked" Shaw or at least was empathetic toward her in any way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
http://www.maxim.com/style/alien-reebok-sneakers-2017-4

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
you cant preorder them, booooo

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

These will go great with my Drive scorpion jacket.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why couldn't they just do the replica ones?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

Why couldn't they just do the replica ones?

Maybe they didn't want to piss off the guys who paid nine million dollars a pair for them on ebay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao, they really hosed up.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't get 'XX121'

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't get 'XX121'

XX121 is Weyland-Yutani's code designation for the xenomorph.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xx-121 is the planet the shoes were found on.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

121 is the number of rubes who will buy these.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

121 is the number of rubes who will buy these.

121 is the number of pairs Xenomrph will buy.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Electromax posted:

I have some graphic novelization of the original movie from the 70s, a ~4 issue Alien 3 retelling, and one called Aliens Genocide that I've never read. I like the retro alien drawings for sure.

You need to fix this. Genocide is loving awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shaocaholica posted:

I tried shopping for alien comics on amazon and the googles and I can't figure out if there's any chronology to them or not. At least not ~ALL~ of them. It's like, oh these 3 go together but I haven no clue about these other 3. There should be a flow chart.

Short answer: there is an overarching chronology and it only covers new stuff printed after the 'Alien: Out of the Shadows' novel (2014).

A lot of the older stuff is pretty standalone. There's a couple stories that lead from one to the next, or you can infer a sort of reading order by what they reference in each other, but the majority of them require no prior knowledge other than the first two movies.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Those shoe pictures remind me of those fancy toy pictures that some goon posts. Only with shoes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Milk that cash cow Ridley! MILK IT!

I would totally eat Alien cereal, Ridley!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tenzarin posted:

Milk that cash cow Ridley! MILK IT!

I would totally eat Alien cereal, Ridley!

Alien Cereal: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

If you don't like the cornbread ... try Alien Cereal

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Do the comic books have novelisations??

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i remember reading a novelisation omnibus of Genocide and another one that i can't remember, so certainly some of them do

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Oh boy do they ever!! All of the old Aliens/Predator/AvP novels published by Bantam in the 90s are novelizations of Dark Horse comics except for one, which was a (semi) original story.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

This is the best part of the prologue:

I hope David gets a lot of screen time in Covenant, he's the main reason I'll be watching the film.