Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
May defends the 'principle of fairness' that requires mothers to prove they've been raped in order to claim tax credits for a third child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't the Surrey Labour party standing down to try and unseat Hunt?

Hope so, seeing the smirk whiped off that twats face might be the only good thing to come out of this election.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

To be fair if Labour manage to hold the Tories to another relatively small majority its going to be a humiliation for May. Hard for her to spin the idea that putting the country through a general election was worth it for an extra ten or so seats.

Plus I'm still hoping the new polling methodology will come back and bite the Tories if the youth vote can be arsed to turn out this time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MikeCrotch posted:

There's a lot of bad blood on both sides in that regard though - look at how often Tim Farron is bashing Labour compared to how often he actually criticises the government. I don't think there's a lot of room for either side to negotiate on electoral pacts given how quickly both Labour and the Lib Dems shot down the idea of a coalition.

OTOH I suspect individual CLPs might do the same as Brighton Pavilion Lib Dems - rumour was in the Richmond Park by-election that Labour canvassers were advising voters to go Lib Dem.

I'd settle for not letting the Tories get a massive majority before I start to worry about Labour forming a government. I just don't see the latter as very likely unless something unforeseen occurs relating to the Tory campaign.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

jabby posted:

To be fair if Labour manage to hold the Tories to another relatively small majority its going to be a humiliation for May. Hard for her to spin the idea that putting the country through a general election was worth it for an extra ten or so seats.

Plus I'm still hoping the new polling methodology will come back and bite the Tories if the youth vote can be arsed to turn out this time.
Quite agree. If the majority is about the same or only slightly increased then there would be no reason at all for JC to resign.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Lovechop posted:

it's so loving insane how he claims to be a liberal. just the weirdest thing.

He's been shifting more and more libertarian right as time progresses

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Firos posted:

What's it got in its pocketses, precious?

Edit: Why do all the signs say winning? That's very...Charlie Sheen I guess :psyduck:

All the lib dem signs I've seen have "winning here" on them. I guess it's a slogan or something.

Had a very strange experience on the way to the garage the other day. Driving past one of the big roundabouts​ on the ring road, right in the middle there were a couple of lib dems waving signs and one guy (who I assume is the local candidate) in a hideous orange tie waving and gurning at passing​ cars. Going back the other way ten minutes later they'd vanished. I wonder how many times they got told to gently caress off that morning.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wolfsbane posted:

All the lib dem signs I've seen have "winning here" on them. I guess it's a slogan or something.

Had a very strange experience on the way to the garage the other day. Driving past one of the big roundabouts​ on the ring road, right in the middle there were a couple of lib dems waving signs and one guy (who I assume is the local candidate) in a hideous orange tie waving and gurning at passing​ cars. Going back the other way ten minutes later they'd vanished. I wonder how many times they got told to gently caress off that morning.

Might have just been a bit of a photo op?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Reminder: The current parliament was elected when the Tories had a 6 point national lead. And, as Jabby said, even a small loss is a big win for labour. So, the aim at the end of this election is that the Tory vote-share lead would be 8-10 points: Enough that they'll gain 15-25 seats off labour, but not enough to offset losses to the Lib Dems, and make Theresa May look like a fool for calling this election. As cynical as it sounds, thats what victory looks like at the moment.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

This is like the best thing that could happen to Sarah Olney. I just don't see him winning this no matter how well the Tories do.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

This poo poo is loving medieval in it's hatefulness and misogyny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nothing to seehere posted:

Reminder: The current parliament was elected when the Tories had a 6 point national lead. And, as Jabby said, even a small loss is a big win for labour. So, the aim at the end of this election is that the Tory vote-share lead would be 8-10 points: Enough that they'll gain 15-25 seats off labour, but not enough to offset losses to the Lib Dems, and make Theresa May look like a fool for calling this election. As cynical as it sounds, thats what victory looks like at the moment.

It would be funny if that caused the tories to implode.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Has this generated the same wave of anger down south as it has in Scotland? Because it's been a big thing here, with everyone slamming the Tories cruelty, and it even leading to a rare moment of Kez Dugdale getting good press.

Though the SNP seems to be getting away with doing nothing to counter this monstrous policy.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

He's been shifting more and more libertarian right as time progresses

don't know if even that's the word for it to be honest. he's been chatting about how everyone should vote for marine lepen and all that poo poo.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Plugchat: when I first came to the UK I was so loving surprised at the power plugs here. They're HUGE, you can swing them around and use them as medieval flails. I love them for some reason, plugging stuff in is strangely satisfying.
Also I find the fact that every single wall socket has a small switch right beside it to turn it on and off so convenient in some cases.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pochoclo posted:

Plugchat: when I first came to the UK I was so loving surprised at the power plugs here. They're HUGE, you can swing them around and use them as medieval flails. I love them for some reason, plugging stuff in is strangely satisfying.
Also I find the fact that every single wall socket has a small switch right beside it to turn it on and off so convenient in some cases.

Electricity is serious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

As I recall, that wasn't intended to be the case, they were suposed to use two pin plugs for most things and the big three pins for only high power items. But everyone just put three pins everywhere.

We also use an odd wiring architecture compared to the Americas, and just to be fun, someone deliberately invented the walsall gage 13A to be very slightly different from BS1363 so that you can't use the two together.

Also you get to enjoy dropping BS1363 plugs on your foot and knacking it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I must admit though, when I learned that shavers and electric toothbrushes have a different power plug (similar in appearance to the old style bipolar plug we had in the 80s/90s in Argentina but not the same spacing/thickness) I was baffled. Here's a country that was doing everything right so far (this was before the Brexit vote) and suddenly I have to buy an adapter because uh, I don't know, why the gently caress actually? It seems like they just keep using those plugs for old times nostalgia or something.

EDIT: ^^^ ah, that explains it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shavers are the one place where we use the "proper" low power plugs.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

forkboy84 posted:

Has this generated the same wave of anger down south as it has in Scotland? Because it's been a big thing here, with everyone slamming the Tories cruelty, and it even leading to a rare moment of Kez Dugdale getting good press.

Though the SNP seems to be getting away with doing nothing to counter this monstrous policy.

From my brief straw poll, it seems to just evoke shrugs. The underlying premise - that people on benefits shouldn't be better off financially than people in work - is quite appealing, and for the many people who've had to make difficult financial decisions before deciding to have children, the cap seems to be relatively popular. It's an easy conclusion to jump to if no time is spent thinking of all the edge cases, the injustice of punishing the child, or the fact that children might be a net benefit to society of themselves. The exception for rape is seen as a reasonable exception to the rule, and if that involves having to fill in a form then it's just seen as a necessary price to pay by a public that is inured to form-filling.

I've seen lots of noise from opposition politicians about it, but from what I can gather the child benefit cap is a votewinner - I think May knows this which is why she's sticking to her guns.

Edit: Boris has been let out of the playpen, but sadly chooses to write a deeply personal attack article on Corbyn in the Sun.

Among other things, he calls him a "mutton-headed old mugwump", says he's an enourmous threat to the country's safety and parrots the oft-repeated lies that Corbyn opposes using force during a terrorist attack and that he wants to abolish the British army.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 27, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

From my brief straw poll, it seems to just evoke shrugs. The underlying premise - that people on benefits shouldn't be better off financially than people in work - is quite appealing, and for the many people who've had to make difficult financial decisions before deciding to have children, the cap seems to be relatively popular. It's an easy conclusion to jump to if no time is spent thinking of all the edge cases, the injustice of punishing the child, or the fact that children might be a net benefit to society of themselves. The exception for rape is seen as a reasonable exception to the rule, and if that involves having to fill in a form then it's just seen as a necessary price to pay by a public that is inured to form-filling.

I've seen lots of noise from opposition politicians about it, but from what I can gather the child benefit cap is a votewinner - I think May knows this which is why she's sticking to her guns.

Edit: Boris has been let out of the playpen, but sadly chooses to write a deeply personal attack article on Corbyn in the Sun.

Among other things, he calls him a "mutton-headed old mugwump", says he's an enourmous threat to the country's safety and parrots the oft-repeated lies that Corbyn opposes using force during a terrorist attack and that he wants to abolish the British army.

This country is garbage. Thatcher won, hope and decency lost.

In One Ear
Apr 25, 2017
Can we expect anything more (or less) from Boris? He's an 1800's public school boy throwback. I imagine his aides have to make him a zeitgeist tape every week to remind him that we've stopped using the gold standard, the Empire fell, and the only waves that Royal Britannia sales are financial ones [t-minus two years of negotiations for that to reverse as well]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

We also use an odd wiring architecture compared to the Americas, and just to be fun, someone deliberately invented the walsall gage 13A to be very slightly different from BS1363 so that you can't use the two together.

The ring main system is terrible and introduces deliberate safety issues for the sake of saving some copper and is not used anywhere else in the world, but the Walsall plug system does have an actual use, they're used for 110/120V AC outlets in the UK.

Which is to say it isn't used anywhere in the UK outside of trains and some machine/computer halls, but it does have a legitimate purpose in preventing people plugging into the wrong voltage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yes and it's a fairly sensible reason but I feel like it's a bit weird given that they went to that after having previously dumped differentiated plugs. Also presumably because they couldn't be arsed with the complicated alternative.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
individually fused appliances do have some advantages, but granted, that wasn't the intention behind the adoption of the ring design

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yes and it's a fairly sensible reason but I feel like it's a bit weird given that they went to that after having previously dumped differentiated plugs.
The previous differentiated plugs were all current based, so it does make some degree of sense just to go for the highest sane current option as a standard. You can't do the same with voltage without things either not working or exploding.

The South African option of running legacy BS 546 for big things up to 15A and SANS 164-2 (IEC standard and Europlug compatible) for small things like phones and monitors seems like the most sensible option if the UK wanted to carry on with current differentiated plugs and was happy to take outside input without screaming Express articles about how the new plugs cause dementia.

e: Imagine this but with "1950s - British Empire still great" and "2010s - Euro sockets mock our brave boys. Like and Share if you agree" written over it forever.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 27, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Looks like tomorrow will be Labour's day to talk about housing.

You have to hand it to them, pretty much every day since the election was called they have picked a topic, either launched new policies or re-iterated their current ones, and managed to dominate the news agenda. Meanwhile the Tories have released a bunch of dead air, slogans and one article by Johnson talking a bunch of nonsense.

EDIT: The more I read about Johnson's intervention the less effective it seems. A lot of the articles quoting him stress what a personal attack it was on Corbyn, and roughly all of them lead with the fact he used the word 'mugwhump'.

BBC News posted:

He accused Mr Corbyn of being reluctant to use lethal force

jabby fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 27, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Corbyn wants to ban Shoot to Kill" always seems to be initially presented as how he doesn't want police to be able to kill anyone, regardless of what they're doing, even though that's a right presented to any member of the public (which includes police) under common law if they are presenting a clear and present threat.

I guess "Corbyn doesn't want to shoot Latin electricians for acting shifty because a list exists" isn't as punchy a headline.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ronya posted:

individually fused appliances do have some advantages, but granted, that wasn't the intention behind the adoption of the ring design

Yeah the fuses only protect the wiring between the appliance and the outlet because if your appliance trips the fuse it is most likely dead short .

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Weird topic crossover starting up here

Also for those people who were saying PMQs is good and not worthless playground garbage where the evening news just reports each side's sickest burn, now the Guardian's imagining it as a competitive Counter Strike match

quote:

At PMQs you can deploy the sniper’s rifle or the shotgun, and today we saw Angus Robertson try one and Jeremy Corbyn the other. They were both effective in their way, although Theresa May’s shield of slogans and talking points managed to protect her quite adequately. It did not feel as if anyone secured a great triumph.

In One Ear
Apr 25, 2017

baka kaba posted:

Weird topic crossover starting up here

Also for those people who were saying PMQs is good and not worthless playground garbage where the evening news just reports each side's sickest burn, now the Guardian's imagining it as a competitive Counter Strike match

The Guardian, catering to your short attention span with buzzwords and flashy imagery. I rarely flick onto the BBC News website, watch a PMQ, and walk away feeling any better or encouraged for it. Both sides of the house boo, hiss, jeer and smirk at eachother like a sixth form debating society.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Pochoclo posted:

I must admit though, when I learned that shavers and electric toothbrushes have a different power plug (similar in appearance to the old style bipolar plug we had in the 80s/90s in Argentina but not the same spacing/thickness) I was baffled. Here's a country that was doing everything right so far (this was before the Brexit vote) and suddenly I have to buy an adapter because uh, I don't know, why the gently caress actually? It seems like they just keep using those plugs for old times nostalgia or something.

EDIT: ^^^ ah, that explains it
It's for safety. Under UK law you're not allowed to install a normal 3 pin plug in a bathroom (you may also notice you're not allowed to have a normal on/off light switch - it's either a pull switch inside, or a normal switch on the wall outside). Shavers and electric toothbrushes are typically used in bathrooms, so a "low power" plug that carries a much lower electric shock risk so can be used in bathrooms is used.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

In One Ear posted:

Both sides of the house boo, hiss, jeer and smirk at eachother like a sixth form debating society.

Yeah it's bad. The sad thing is people do often make important points there, but not everyone has time/cares enough to watch it in full. And the reporting treats it like the world's worst sport instead of focusing on the issues and how they were responded to, which just encourages the lovely grandstanding and prepared bantz

Also this just popped up, I hadn't realised it was this crazy

quote:

Theresa May’s leadership score has soared higher than either Margaret Thatcher or Tony Blair enjoyed in their best years, an exclusive poll reveals today.

But the most striking evidence that voters could deliver Mrs May an overwhelming victory is the revelation that she has the best score yet recorded by Ipsos MORI since the 1970s when the veteran pollsters began asking who would make “the most capable Prime Minister” among party leaders of the day.

Some 61 per cent chose Mrs May, with 23 per cent picking Mr Corbyn.

Three-times election winner Baroness Thatcher never came close - her best score was 48 per cent which she first hit in May 1983 on the eve of a landslide triumph against Michael Foot.

Labour’s most successful election winner Tony Blair touched 52 per cent in May 2001, just before he crushed William Hague in the general election.

I know people want to blame Corbyn because the public apparently rely entirely on the Opposition to tell them the government is bad and doing bad things, but isn't this still incredibly hosed up? She's the PM equivalent of an empty suit who's done nothing notable except head Brexit, and she's the most popular Prime Minister since polls began

quote:

However, the research also found that the personality of the leader is seen as more important by the public at this election compared with in 2015. 

The whole thing sounds pretty volatile, and it makes me wonder if Corbyn can improve his image while May's suffers - maybe you'd get a much bigger swing than you'd expect?

Also

Look at that possible vote change, especially for the Lib Dems :eyepop: there's a lot of votes up for grabs, an alliance/understanding might make a big difference too

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Lovechop posted:

don't know if even that's the word for it to be honest. he's been chatting about how everyone should vote for marine lepen and all that poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMdfgZYVHMc

I always find it amusing hes becoming what he hates slowly but surely

I find it even more amusing he keeps pandering to the ever perfidious 4chan when it never works out well just ask Sam Hyde

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/23/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-authorise-strike-against-isil-leader/

The absoulte demic

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Guavanaut posted:

The previous differentiated plugs were all current based, so it does make some degree of sense just to go for the highest sane current option as a standard. You can't do the same with voltage without things either not working or exploding.

The South African option of running legacy BS 546 for big things up to 15A and SANS 164-2 (IEC standard and Europlug compatible) for small things like phones and monitors seems like the most sensible option if the UK wanted to carry on with current differentiated plugs and was happy to take outside input without screaming Express articles about how the new plugs cause dementia.

e: Imagine this but with "1950s - British Empire still great" and "2010s - Euro sockets mock our brave boys. Like and Share if you agree" written over it forever.

A slug splooged its way into a plug socket through a loose hole once and electrocuted itself while I watched as a child not really getting slugs+plugs dont mix

A blue flash of light came from the plug and a most queer odour and wispy smoke emerged from the plug

I opened the plug socket to find the slug fried like a green prune

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMdfgZYVHMc

I always find it amusing hes becoming what he hates slowly but surely

I find it even more amusing he keeps pandering to the ever perfidious 4chan when it never works out well just ask Sam Hyde

Nobody here cares about Carl of Sad. Or you, cause you're a terrible poster.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jabby posted:

Looks like tomorrow will be Labour's day to talk about housing.

You have to hand it to them, pretty much every day since the election was called they have picked a topic, either launched new policies or re-iterated their current ones, and managed to dominate the news agenda. Meanwhile the Tories have released a bunch of dead air, slogans and one article by Johnson talking a bunch of nonsense.

EDIT: The more I read about Johnson's intervention the less effective it seems. A lot of the articles quoting him stress what a personal attack it was on Corbyn, and roughly all of them lead with the fact he used the word 'mugwhump'.

Bug powder dust a mugwump jism
And the wild boys runnin' into some trippin'
Led into control about the Big Brothah
Try like hard to not blow my cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_rRSCHO_Q

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zephro posted:

I wonder how many people voted Brexit because of those drat Eurocrats trying to water down our mighty, world-leading 240-volt ring mains

Britain is so behind most of western europe and scandinavia, only country were 3-phase isn't commonly available in residential areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

EmptyVessel posted:

That's distinctly unfair to the middle ages. In that period, charity was dispensed on the basis of personal need, not restricted by arbitrary cut offs.

• Locked thread