Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

1stGear posted:

Never played Auriel before, used this build, proceeded to crush. This build is dope as gently caress.

Never played Auriel before, used this build, got a Diablo who 1v5 dove constantly and yelled at me for not healing him fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i liked auriel before, but i like her even more now. and her new skin is great. also loot crates and more incremental progression is tickling my lizard brain better than before.

also i got a spray of lili sipping tea like the kermit meme.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Belzac posted:

Gonna point this out because almost no one seems to know about it.

Doing the Battlegrounds tutorial grants you a "starter" loot chest.

Ran through that "Veteran Introduction" thing real quick and got a free Uther out of the deal, so that's cool.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tsurupettan posted:

i liked auriel before, but i like her even more now. and her new skin is great. also loot crates and more incremental progression is tickling my lizard brain better than before.

Yeah, seriously, Auriel is dope as gently caress now. Played with some friends in a 5-stack as Varian/Johanna/Auriel/Malf/Greymane and just slaughtered.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Onean posted:

Find and use your Stop keybind. Default is S.

Huh, well poo poo, I feel stupid now.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bamhand posted:

You are confusing soaking with pushing. Everyone soaks at the same rate. Your job as a solo laner is not to push. It's to safely soak.

But all of that is besides the point. You say that there is no scenario where solo laning as Lucio is correct. However there is also no scenario where 5 manning mid is correct. So there basically is nothing that he could have done to correct the situation.

5-manning mid before the minions clash in the other lanes in order to force a team fight/get quest stacks is common. More importantly, Lucio is an AoE buff hero whose value is wasted alone. It could even be that the team grouped up specifically because they had a Lucio and expected to be able to rotate to other lanes quickly. Just saying it's not as clear-cut as you're making it sound.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

I love that spray. :3: I was so disappointed that I got nothing Li Li related out of the chest pile on tuesday, but I did end up with almost 1600 shards by the end so I could buy them. Li Li announcer, Li Li spray, Li Li emoji set.

Sassiest panda best panda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Luminous Cow posted:

I've gotten more zarya skins than I care to count, even though I've never played as her. At least I got some bitchin Johanna skins and deputy valla

What are the good Johanna skins? I thought everything looked kind of bad compared to her base model.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Good Lord does Zarya hurt on melee-range champs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have yet to play Hanamura. Is it still the worst map?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toady posted:

5-manning mid before the minions clash in the other lanes in order to force a team fight/get quest stacks is common. More importantly, Lucio is an AoE buff hero whose value is wasted alone. It could even be that the team grouped up specifically because they had a Lucio and expected to be able to rotate to other lanes quickly. Just saying it's not as clear-cut as you're making it sound.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone or anything but like I said, this sort of thing is practically word-for-word how it goes down in Overwatch and I assume most any other team-oriented competitive game you could name. "I was doing [SMART THING ON PAPER] but my team was doing [LESS OPTIMAL THING] so I declined to join them and of course we didn't win, the fault is that my teammates are idiots," and maybe they are but they're the idiots you have to work with. If they want to deathball in mid lane and the other team isn't all spreading out so they can have XP advantage but is meeting your team in their own deathball and you're the one stubbornly staying away from that guaranteeing a 4v5 then you do in fact share some responsibility for what happens.

This is in fact a thing I need to work on myself as prior to level 10 I'll be in games where brawls will suddenly break out over nothing and I need to do a better job of deciding if I should go join in (since we aren't losing soak when everyone is all clustered up) or if I should stay in lane and continue to soak/push. There are times when the answer has gone either way.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I have a bug where Probius has Zarya's "do you even lift" voiceline and it's my favorite thing right now

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Trying this again after a long break, i stopped playing a few months after launch. Are there any new heroes who play very differently and are actually useful? I used to like playing zagara and i liked the idea of abathur but was never good enough. Ragnaros seems good?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

adamarama posted:

Trying this again after a long break, i stopped playing a few months after launch. Are there any new heroes who play very differently and are actually useful? I used to like playing zagara and i liked the idea of abathur but was never good enough. Ragnaros seems good?

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. Ragnaros looks really cool, but Abathur sounded interesting when I watched a bit of this at Blizzcon one year.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Sounds like you two need to get together and play Cho'Gall.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I knew I should have checked the thread before I opened 100000 boxes.

Anyway, if I haven't decided what Hero Bundle I want, can I just leave it till I decide I want to play again or does it expire?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

chumbler posted:

I have yet to play Hanamura. Is it still the worst map?

It could be that it's early days and the correct strategy hasn't been hashed out yet but it could use more incentive for people to actually fight over payloads rather than deathballing on top of their payloads and never fighting each other.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

rapeface posted:

I knew I should have checked the thread before I opened 100000 boxes.

Anyway, if I haven't decided what Hero Bundle I want, can I just leave it till I decide I want to play again or does it expire?

There's an expiration date on it but it's not until the 22nd of next month so you've got some time to mess around and see what you'd like.

BGrifter posted:

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. Ragnaros looks really cool, but Abathur sounded interesting when I watched a bit of this at Blizzcon one year.

Ragnaros seems cool but I don't know if he really plays drastically differently from most heroes. Molten Core is a rad ability but you aren't occupying structures all the time, it's basically like a second heroic ability that he always has on hand with an appropriately long cooldown, otherwise for the most part you're still scrumming it up with the rest of the heroes. I think the best way to describe him would be as a sort of melee caster, you get up close and use your abilities to help you smash people and drop meteors on them. Abathur is also cool and definitely plays differently from most characters but requires a ton of awareness at all times, he's a sort of "high APM" character like the Lost Vikings.

Murky is obviously fun as hell if you haven't played him and he recently got an overhaul that seems to have done him good, Tracer, Lucio, Zarya, and Genji all play very similarly to their Overwatch counterparts, and Varian is a "multiclass" character who chooses between three heroics each of which gives him both an active ability as well as passive adjustments which change what sort of role he fills (more tanky, more like a melee assassin, etc) mid-match.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kai Tave posted:

Ragnaros seems cool but I don't know if he really plays drastically differently from most heroes. Molten Core is a rad ability but you aren't occupying structures all the time, it's basically like a second heroic ability that he always has on hand with an appropriately long cooldown, otherwise for the most part you're still scrumming it up with the rest of the heroes. I think the best way to describe him would be as a sort of melee caster, you get up close and use your abilities to help you smash people and drop meteors on them.

This sounds super fun, I'm sold. I'll grab the Tanks bundle.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Ragnaros is the hot poo poo though, even after nerfs he still dictates the game. I mean unless you're super high level in which case iunno how good he is up there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tsurupettan posted:

Stylized sprays justify this entire patch

TheNabster posted:

It could be that it's early days and the correct strategy hasn't been hashed out yet but it could use more incentive for people to actually fight over payloads rather than deathballing on top of their payloads and never fighting each other.

I think the winning move is to pick a strategy, any strategy, and do it as a team. So at the beginning of the match, act confident and say "the key to this map is camps + soaking" or "they key to this map is getting 1 fort so they can never catch up". If everyone is trying their own strat then nothing will work.

One thing that 100% works mentioned itt is to stall enemy payload in lane so you can soak, get globes, etc.

One of my favorite new features:

It showed me I was one 7-minute AI game away from level 10 with ETC. Since I don't like him in HL anymore, I would never have known.
That lead to this "ETC box"

:getin:

Gonna go do the same with the murkster in a minute.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

What are the good Johanna skins? I thought everything looked kind of bad compared to her base model.

I think her Spellbreaker skin is super good and I don't even play Johanna!

Anyway, this happened during Grubby's stream:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrispyAttractiveSwordPartyTime

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm fairly new to this game (I played it a day or two like a year ago) and am both very new to and very bad at MOBAs. Is the versatile mega chest the best one for me to get? Keep in mind the following.

1. I am very new
2. I am very bad
3. I 'm a giant nerd who prefers to play characters from games I know, so like the WoW and Starcraft casts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hi who wants Genji talk from someone who has exclusively played Genji for a few days.

Level 1: I find myself almost always taking Swift as the Wind. Part of staying alive as Genji is being mobile and weaving in and out of combat scenarios, and this talent I think does it best. It helps you when you go in, and when you escape, with no real setup required. You could make an argument for Agile Dismount on big maps with a lot of roaming, which I've taken a few times. Pathfinder is too situational to be useful.

Level 4: I feel like here is where the build paths can start to differ. I've found myself taking Shuriken Mastery more often than not, as the quest is pretty easy to fill for the first tier and the second tier, while nice, isn't required to get value out of the quest. I also find myself really valuing shuriken poke over Swift Strike as a combat tool. However, if you would like to go the Swift Strike build, Strike At the Heart is a great pickup at 4. It bleeds a good amount of extra damage, and you're probably getting move speed out of it too from level 1 so not as risky. Dragon claw is trash.

Level 7: Perfect Defense is the most correct choice here. Deflect is your only form of self sustain, so being able to pop it more is a good thing. Cyber Agility can be okay if you took Agile Dismount at 1, giving you the ability to hop into the fray and survive a bit more. Dodge is extremely situational. I guess maybe you could pick it if the team is full of AA based assassins but eh. Augmented Guard is bad.

Level 10: Dragonblade, in my experience, should never be taken in a shuriken build. You can try DB for a Swift Strike build, because it DOES refresh the swift strike CD when you kill someone, but for me it has never really worked out. Upon activation, you're almost guaranteed to be immediately targeted. X-Strike takes a bit more effort to land, especially for the large damage, but it's more consistent. It gives you a bit of breathing room by being untargetable, has good range, and really hurts if you land it. With a Shuriken based build, I would only ever take X-Strike.

Level 13: A good tier. Shingan can be hard to land but the extra damage is massive if you do. It also makes clearing camps, even alone, especially simple. I recommend it for a Shuriken build. Flow Like Water is obvious for a Swift Strike focused build, because you will be constantly swift striking for a lot of damage. Even Double Jump is a strong ability, as it lets you get out of rough situations pretty quickly and the increased CD isn't especially noticeable. You'll have both charges back by the next fight, most likely.

Level 16: If you aren't maxing Swift Strike, take Reflect. If you are maxing Swift Strke, take Steady Blade. You will be using is so much you will be blasting out huge damage. Never take Final Cut because 1 second extra is terrible.

Level 20: If you take DB at 10, The Dragon Becomes Me is great. You get duration just from hitting enemies, so a couple good swings can more that double the duration on it. With Swift Strike builds, you can get a lot of value from this. Living Weapon is not strong enough to be worthwhile. If you didn't take DB, your decision is really Sharpened Stars or Zanshin. I almost always take Zanshin, as while 6500 damage seems like a lot by the time you hit 20 with even somewhat decent Reflect use you've got it or close to it. Sharpened stars is still a fine choice though, increasing your late game wave clear and team fight impact.

~~~

The more I play Genji, the more I adjust to his playstyle. It feels very different than other assassins, even other highly mobile assassins such as tracer. Genji is most likely not going to be maxing out that hero damage, but as long as he is maintaining decent health throughout a team fight and still contributing somewhat, if things start to favor your team you can almost guarantee no one is leaving this team fight alive. He's strange in that his objective taking isn't anything to write home about, his waveclear isn't great, he dosen't take camps well, and there's very few times he is going to pop out in a lane and instagib someone, but if you want to make crazy flashy plays and feel like screaming OUTPLAYED at every scrub who targets you with a powerful ability, he's really fun. Highlights include: deflecting a li-ming beam with Zanshin for a quick quad kill.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm fairly new to this game (I played it a day or two like a year ago) and am both very new to and very bad at MOBAs. Is the versatile mega chest the best one for me to get? Keep in mind the following.

1. I am very new
2. I am very bad
3. I 'm a giant nerd who prefers to play characters from games I know, so like the WoW and Starcraft casts.

If there are a bunch of characters you know you want to get, get that bundle.

Otherwise, go here and put in the heroes you own (remember that some heroes are on free week rotation and you don't actually own them): http://gibraltargamers.com/hots-calculator/

And pick the one that is the most gold value.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Aaaand Herostorm 2.0

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there some kind of new-player grotto I'm in where I only get to play Cursed Hollow in QM?

I hit level 5 last night playing 3-4 games each with LiLi and ETC, and I've played only one game on a map other than Cursed Hollow.

Also, having never played any kind of moba before, this is actually pretty fun. Powersliding through an entire lane of the little guys and stunning them was fun, and I finally played a game where the opposing team injured our base and we came back to win. Every game up to that point was mostly a stomp, so it was fun to see that not always be the case.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So if you do the tutorial again, you get a loot box, is that what I'm reading? I'm not seeing anything on the screen saying you get one. Or is it only the veteran one?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes. Not sure the exact number of quarantine games before you get real battlegrounds. Some on reddit say 8-10.

They want you to get the hang of mechanics before they throw different map objectives at you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Macaluso posted:

So if you do the tutorial again, you get a loot box, is that what I'm reading? I'm not seeing anything on the screen saying you get one. Or is it only the veteran one?

I did the tutorial again last night and didn't get a box, so I don't know if it's true or not.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
gently caress the Valeera nerf.

Now I only have one hero that I enjoy playing. Butcher, never change.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zaodai posted:

I did the tutorial again last night and didn't get a box, so I don't know if it's true or not.

Just did the veteren introduction, got nothing. Why must people lie about sacred things like this

edit: NEVERMIND. I got it, they just don't tell you you got it for whatever stupid reason.

edit2: Since Genji is 750 gems, is it safe to assume D.Va will be as well? I have the 1000 right now and plan on getting her the day she comes out

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Huxley posted:

Is there some kind of new-player grotto I'm in where I only get to play Cursed Hollow in QM?

I hit level 5 last night playing 3-4 games each with LiLi and ETC, and I've played only one game on a map other than Cursed Hollow.

Also, having never played any kind of moba before, this is actually pretty fun. Powersliding through an entire lane of the little guys and stunning them was fun, and I finally played a game where the opposing team injured our base and we came back to win. Every game up to that point was mostly a stomp, so it was fun to see that not always be the case.

Yeah, I think once you pass level 5 it opens up more maps. Your daily quests should also stop being "play some coop games" about that time too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

edit2: Since Genji is 750 gems, is it safe to assume D.Va will be as well? I have the 1000 right now and plan on getting her the day she comes out

Yeah, IIRC new heroes were always $10 when they came out, and that's 750 gems in the 2.0 paradigm. I'm saving my 1000 gems for her as well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Macaluso posted:

Friendly reminder that loot boxes roll RNG when they're opened, not when they're obtained. If you earn a few the day before a hero release, hold on the them until the day-of to see if you get lucky!

Nice of Blizz to give an advantage to hoarding boxes since they don't in OW.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Re: genjitalk

I played a bunch with him last night solo queued and in a group. I found my ult choice to be less of a build decision and more of a situational/comp one - if we had a team with any long roots/stuns or really strong slows I was taking X strike, otherwise Dragonblade. I just found myself doing more overall damage activating DB just offscreen before diving in, unless I was able to consistently land both parts of the x strike hit on 2+ people.

I need to get better with Deflect though. Them telling you your total deflected so far is actually pretty great, it's nice to have an actual metric to judge yourself by.

He seems pretty on-par with Illidan at my MMR level, are people still feeling like his kit is underwhelming overall?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

When playing medivh, is there a way to automatically travel through your portal as soon as you cast it? I'm pretty bad at clicking on it in the heat of battle. Watching grubby play, he gets through instantly every time. I don't know if he's just that good, or if there's a trick to it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Yorkshire Tea posted:

gently caress the Valeera nerf.

Now I only have one hero that I enjoy playing. Butcher, never change.

Having never played her before and now owning her, what happened?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

2 SPOOKY posted:

Re: genjitalk

I played a bunch with him last night solo queued and in a group. I found my ult choice to be less of a build decision and more of a situational/comp one - if we had a team with any long roots/stuns or really strong slows I was taking X strike, otherwise Dragonblade. I just found myself doing more overall damage activating DB just offscreen before diving in, unless I was able to consistently land both parts of the x strike hit on 2+ people.

I need to get better with Deflect though. Them telling you your total deflected so far is actually pretty great, it's nice to have an actual metric to judge yourself by.

He seems pretty on-par with Illidan at my MMR level, are people still feeling like his kit is underwhelming overall?

I feel like you get significantly more out of db if you are going the swift strike build due to the refresh on kill. Chopping people to bits as you swing through everything with your talented E makes DB a much more effective option, but I feel like like being able to use X-Strike to go in and using your E to reposition for massive shuriken damage makes it more useful in that build. That said, I can see switching it based on team comp as well. As I've played him more, he isn't anything I'd really write home about but he's fun and flashy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Is there a key modifier to self cast? As in I'm playing Kerrigan, and want to cast her spike trap at my feet, or I'm playing Arthas, and want to cast Death Coil on myself.