Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Fwiw, I think a few of us thought you meant they had to win two sequential games to win. Hadn't heard of the double Bo3 myself.

I've never seen it outside of fighting game tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Xtanstic posted:

Oh good time for bracket reset discussion. In a FG tourney a bracket reset makes sense. In a game like Dota 2 or CS:GO it's a bit trickier. Given how grueling a Dota 2 match can be, your upper bracket advantage should be more rest, prep and scout time of your opponents. Simply playing a Bo3 (LB final) and then a Bo5 grand final is huge in terms of mental stamina for the team coming up from the LB. I used to want a 1 map advantage to UB team but I've since changed my opinion now that the scheduling of double elim valve tourneys have stabilized after that awful Newbee TI win.
If they had time to play the potential 6 games in a Bo3+Bo3, they could just run a Bo7 with a 1 map advantage to the UB team instead, and they wouldn't have to explain how bracket resets work to people who don't watch fighting games or the College World Series.

I realize that selection priority is not a huge advantage in Dota 2, but I wonder why they don't just give selection priority in games 1/3/5 to the UB team. It'd be a minor gameplay advantage but wouldn't break the schedule, and it'd make the UB final slightly more meaningful in the case where both teams in the UB final think they can flatten the 3rd place team (like TI5).

sugar free jazz posted:

I've never seen it outside of fighting game tournaments.
A couple SC2 tournaments tried it, most notably that one BlizzCon final between MVP and Nestea where everyone thinks Nestea threw the last game on purpose. Then everyone realized it was stupid and moved to something like Bo7 with a map advantage, or just a single-elimination final bracket. (There was also the loving terrible MLG "extended series" format, which was and is the worst possible tournament format.)

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 27, 2017

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

That one BO7 where DK went down 3-0 to iG and then won the last 4 games after a 3 hour break or some poo poo was the best

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Predictions for tonight

IG vs Mouz

Liquid vs Newbee

Digital Chaos vs Vici Gaming J

VP VS IG Vitality

I'm hoping for a mouz upset over IG.

I think liquid is completely lost in this tournament right now and have overvalued the Naga way too much.

DC has a solid chance to beat VGj I would say, just don't tilt.

And VP should win since igv (like liquid, but worse) also look completely lost

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

That one BO7 where DK went down 3-0 to iG and then won the last 4 games after a 3 hour break or some poo poo was the best

:yeah:

Incoherence posted:

If they had time to play the potential 6 games in a Bo3+Bo3, they could just run a Bo7 with a 1 map advantage to the UB team instead, and they wouldn't have to explain how bracket resets work to people who don't watch fighting games or the College World Series.

I realize that selection priority is not a huge advantage in Dota 2, but I wonder why they don't just give selection priority in games 1/3/5 to the UB team. It'd be a minor gameplay advantage but wouldn't break the schedule, and it'd make the UB final slightly more meaningful in the case where both teams in the UB final think they can flatten the 3rd place team (like TI5).

A couple SC2 tournaments tried it, most notably that one BlizzCon final between MVP and Nestea where everyone thinks Nestea threw the last game on purpose. Then everyone realized it was stupid and moved to something like Bo7 with a map advantage, or just a single-elimination final bracket. (There was also the loving terrible MLG "extended series" format, which was and is the worst possible tournament format.)

I really like the selection priority idea

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

IG TL DC VP TNC OG EG Secret are my predictions.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
If i were betting it would be

IG over Mous
Liquid over Newbee
DC over VGJ
VP over IGV

But gently caress that, im rooting for mous and vgj all the way.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
IG Newbee VGJ VP Faceless OG Thunderbirds Secret

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ig, newbee, dc, vp tonight

secret, eg, og, tnc tomorrow

Really torn about the newbee/liquid and eg/tbirds matches, but I'm sure that even I have those right, my bracket will fall apart somewhere else

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It would own so hard if the Brazilians upset team secret

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It would be funny, but I also want to see Secret v EG though.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
secret vs EG is some anime poo poo.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I don't think EG is getting by Thunderbirds

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I agree and if I had a compendium bracket thing (do they still do those?) I'd put them down just for funzies, but I expect Secret to get beaten by Thunderbirds so w33 and Envy can stare across the booth to Puppey.

Also, I think the IG/VP semifinal will be thought of as "the real main event" and OG will be happy that they dodged that bullet completely and get to place at least second for it. What a bullshit format.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 27, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
OG has to play Random, TNC, and then EG, Secret, or Thunderbirds. I don't think this bracket favors them nearly as much as you think it does. Random isn't as bad as people think they are and every other team is pretty drat impressive. Both IG and VP have comparatively much easier brackets, with Newbee and DC respectively being the only real threats to them and they're not very threatening compared to OG's path.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Random pulls off an upset, OG has looked shaky in the groups.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

single elim is the best. send them home

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
here comes some stirring slav theatrics

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

is there a discord where people are chatting about the games tonight

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

didnt they walk out on stage like half an hour ago waht the hell is going on

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
madara on a mobile hero like timber gives me hope for mouz. hopefully they can close it out before thirty minutes.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Red Red Blue posted:

They broke for lunch, because that match up literally took all day. It was pretty fun watching at the time, the complete 180 in game outcomes was just ridiculous.

That Treant stun...

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
This tree is going to murder IG all game long, hopefully.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gotta respect the Mag, man.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Not feeling the impact from this carry timber.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Synderen audio feed is dead. Good cue to go to bed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I hope to be surprised by this Mouz lineup. I noticed the Bane right away and remember PPD's rant at DAC about how that hero has no wave clear and so it isn't good, and then I look at this whole draft and there's no wave clear. Yikes.

edit: Well I guess there's TA's refract thing and that's it.

edit2: Okay they're apparently photocopying a Secret draft that beat IG earlier in the tournament. Interesting approach for a must-win game.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 27, 2017

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Some fancy footwork

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Playing against IG looks like a loving nightmare

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Shrines being in base are pretty bullshit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Spartan keeps wasting Fiends Grip on this Lina who respawns at perma-aegis like speed. Please, focus on something that stays dead.

e: burning you dumbass enjoy megacreeps. hilarious throw

e2: okay his team actually cliffed him that's even funnier

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 27, 2017

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
wa-hey

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

SEND

THEM

HOME

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
That was a really well played game on both sides.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh hell yes I woke up to a 1-1 GO MOUZ

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yo mouz just made IG question their Magnus. Oh poo poo

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh look the Western teams are starting to get better in time for TI7.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
well thats certainly some drafts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This IG draft is all over the place.

• Locked thread