Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
This explains the bubble.

http://www.patrickhruby.net/2013/07/the-sports-cable-bubble.html?m=1

What happens when rights start to get cheaper but Player salaries are guaranteed. New contracts are tied to revenue but not old contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/katieperalta/status/857319407021957123

Why did they even bother to set up shop in Charlotte to begin with

NASCAR

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Seems like LA ESPN was mostly untouched. gently caress that has become a cockroch.

Everytime I'm in a hotel that has DirecTV instead of cable, everything is broadcast at East Coast time with no pacific feed. Is this standard or can I get a pacific feed still?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/katieperalta/status/857319407021957123

My guess is good central location between the ACC, Big East, and SEC schools (assuming this happened before the Big East went to Fox). BTN is I believe technically Fox, but don't hold me to that.

Rick posted:

Seems like LA ESPN was mostly untouched. gently caress that has become a cockroch.

Why exactly did they open up an LA office again?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think they opened LA in big part to have live late night SportsCenter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

iospace posted:

Why exactly did they open up an LA office again?

There were a lot of reasons (although I would not argue that most of these were good reasons): the LA is a market they've never fully conquered so having a base focused on that seeemed useful, while at the same time a couple LA sports teams generate huge percentages of the interest in their respective sports, also, in theory made it easier for them to cover west coast stuff live, and it was sort of a status display. Also, depending on who you believe, there was a Vince McMahonesque attempt to make ESPN an entertainment brand/entity on its own, with the de-emphasizication of sports, and having an office in LA could spearhead that attempt.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

There were a lot of reasons (although I would not argue that most of these were good reasons): the LA is a market they've never fully conquered so having a base focused on that seeemed useful, while at the same time a couple LA sports teams generate huge percentages of the interest in their respective sports, also, in theory made it easier for them to cover west coast stuff live, and it was sort of a status display. Also, depending on who you believe, there was a Vince McMahonesque attempt to make ESPN an entertainment brand/entity on its own, with the de-emphasizication of sports, and having an office in LA could spearhead that attempt.

It's also easier to get big name guests out in LA instead of having them come out to Bristol. It's status symbol as much as anything.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

In addition with what everyone else has said, it's never a bad idea for a media company to have a presence in LA. Also being close to your parent's HQ never hurts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who remembers the ESPN restaurants :newlol:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/RogerCossack/st...%26autosize%3D1

How much were they paying the legal analyst guy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/RogerCossack/status/857297328360837122

How much were they paying the legal analyst guy

Given he was there for 13 years, probably doing a very niche and specalized role (but probably busy given how boneheaded athletes can be sometimes), probably a lot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

I ate at one in New York when I was 11 years old and it was awesome, because I was 11 years old

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rovell's really going to survive this huh?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm hearing Jerry Punch is gone. I'm... not surprised. ESPN only has three races this year in any top series they're covering, and that's the Indy season opener and the two races in Indy itself, though pole day gets ABC coverage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grittybeard posted:

Rovell's really going to survive this huh?
Probably has dirt on someone, because otherwise why would they need him if they are cutting people like Stark

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

I'm hearing Jerry Punch is gone. I'm... not surprised. ESPN only has three races this year in any top series they're covering, and that's the Indy season opener and the two races in Indy itself, though pole day gets ABC coverage.

Punch is gone.

NBC and Fox basically have conquered the racing market these days anyway short of the Indy 500.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Oh huh, I didn't realize the Anaheim one was the only one of those left.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

iospace posted:

I got accused of stealing in the Denver gift shop when I asked them to wrap up the mug I purchased in the restaurant. It was on the menu and everything.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

iospace posted:

I remember they used to tape Up Close with Gary Miller at the one in Disneyland. I got to see late Joe Frazier in summer 2001 and I can only imagine the surprise on the bunch crowd's face when Lennox Lewis and Hasim Rahman got into a shoving match on that show a few months later. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5ABkVe3W0

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 27, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I visited the NYC one where they used to film
The Sports Reporters and also the Chicago one

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

MourningView posted:

Oh huh, I didn't realize the Anaheim one was the only one of those left.

There is one at disney world.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Vegas one closed in about 2013. Someone rented the space, kept all the sports poo poo but just removed any mention of the ESPN brand and tried operating it as "The Sporting House." Today, it's a Shake Shack.

We still have many more ridiculous theme restaurants besides that one, though. Ultimately, the problem with ESPNZone in Vegas is that every hotel on the boulevard has a sports-focused bar & grill, and the ESPN name doesn't really do anything on it's own to rise above the others. OTOH, the fact that so many people are looking for One Of Those means they stuck it out until corporate shut the entire chain down.

In short, there was demand for it and it seemed to hit its numbers, but corporate dysfunction in ESPN/Disney shut it down anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 27, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Punch is gone.

NBC and Fox basically have conquered the racing market these days anyway short of the Indy 500.

Cheever might be gone too.

I think we'll see NBC swoop in to get the rest of the IndyCar contract at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

Because as miserable as the Charlotte area is, no one wants to actually live in loving Bristol, which is basically the right armpit of America to the left armpit that is Rockford, Illinois.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Because as miserable as the Charlotte area is, no one wants to actually live in loving Bristol, which is basically the right armpit of America to the left armpit that is Rockford, Illinois.

What's The taint then?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

What's The taint then?

Tucson.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hello Sports Fans, I have a question.

I am not a sports fan and have not lived in the United States for 13 years. The last time I was present in a room which was tuned to ESPN was probably 15 years ago. I know cord cutting is an issue for telecoms - just as cancellation of landlines was a decade ago, but I'm really surprised to read that ESPN has become like TMZ. I heard they also got political. What has happened?

I remember people living off Sports Center. To me, it was a foreign language, but I was impressed because the sports obsessed guys in my high school could come up with these independent arguments about x, y, z and debate their position almost every waking movement, but sucked at any other academic pursuit. On top of that, most of the viewer base was politically conservative; at least that's the other thing I saw about them and their parents.

So what the hell? How did ESPN gently caress up this up for the majority of their subscriber base? Older conservatives have money and pay tv bills.

Followup:
Will there be a return to this 'golden age' of 15 years ago where they focus on statistics/highlights/recaps and dump all commentary/talking head opinions?

*Edit* Also I want to mention that country music and sports were very big push factors for me leaving the USA. I am also very liberal and would never try force any political or TMZ-like crap down the throats of middle aged white people via their sports programming. It makes it really hard to understand these decisions by ESPN - it seemed the old formula was working and there was a near monopoly of viewers.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

politicorific posted:

I am not a sports fan and have not lived in the United States for 13 years. The last time I was present in a room which was tuned to ESPN was probably 15 years ago. I know cord cutting is an issue for telecoms - just as cancellation of landlines was a decade ago, but I'm really surprised to read that ESPN has become like TMZ. I heard they also got political. What has happened?

I remember people living off Sports Center. To me, it was a foreign language, but I was impressed because the sports obsessed guys in my high school could come up with these independent arguments about x, y, z and debate their position almost every waking movement, but sucked at any other academic pursuit. On top of that, most of the viewer base was politically conservative; at least that's the other thing I saw about them and their parents.

So what the hell? How did ESPN gently caress up this up for the majority of their subscriber base? Older conservatives have money and pay tv bills.

Will there be a return to this 'golden age' of 15 years ago where they focus on statistics/highlights/recaps and dump all commentary/talking head opinions?

"Getting political" is 99% conservative media making poo poo up.

They will never return to a ton of stats/highlights/recaps because that has moved to the internet. It's all live sports and people screaming at each other*

*until they get too expensive, too, then maybe we get a return to watching people analyze the game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

politicorific posted:

The highlights got killed by mobile and their subscriber base got killed by cord cutting.

The only things left were live sports and idiots yelling at each other. They overpaid for the love sports and oversaturated the market with yelling idiots.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also conservatives are the world's biggest safe space snowflakes and did get mad about some things walk espn, but fs1 isn't doing great either. That's pretty dang irrelevant to their overall decline.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

politicorific posted:

Followup:

*Edit* Also I want to mention that country music and sports were very big push factors for me leaving the USA. I am also very liberal and would never try force any political or TMZ-like crap down the throats of middle aged white people via their sports programming. It makes it really hard to understand these decisions by ESPN - it seemed the old formula was working and there was a near monopoly of viewers.

I don't know where you got this idea because it has nothing to do with ESPN's problems. ESPN is losing money because no one has cable anymore, no one watches sports center because every highlight is instantly available at all times and because of that sportscenter has devolved into people reading tweets, and there is essentially no political content on ESPN whatsoever except Stephen A. Smith defending wife beaters or something.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 27, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know where you got this idea because it has nothing to do with ESPN's problems. ESPN is losing money because no one has cable anymore, no one watches sports center because every highlight is instantly available at all times and because of that sportscenter has devolved into people reading tweets, and there is essentially no political content on ESPN whatsoever except Stephen A. Smith defending wife beaters or something.

You're forgetting the most political SAS ever got

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The idea that ESPN is turning away subscribers in droves by being extremely liberal is nonsense pushed by either people who work for FS1 or giant racist babies who think "making an effort to employ women" and "acknowledging that racial and gender inequality exist" are extreme left wing positions

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Anytime anything fails people will rush to say that it's the fault of thing they personally disagree with.

Example, the election.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Although they don't really talk politics much, if ever, the politics of guys like Bomani, LeBatard, and Kanell are pretty easy to guess if you listened to their shows for more than 15 minutes. I think it's pretty clearly a case of correlation not causation, but two of those guys are sticking around and one is not, so the politics argument is not completely unsubstantiated.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Spoeank posted:

You're forgetting the most political SAS ever got

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

This and the tweet about Stephen A at PF Changs are the best things twitter has given us.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Simplex posted:

Although they don't really talk politics much, if ever, the politics of guys like Bomani, LeBatard, and Kanell are pretty easy to guess if you listened to their shows for more than 15 minutes. I think it's pretty clearly a case of correlation not causation, but two of those guys are sticking around and one is not, so the politics argument is not completely unsubstantiated.

It's pretty unsubstantiated if you can only pick 1 guy who was fired out of like 80. I'm sure you can pick more than that out if you study, but ESPN was really just firing a bunch of people and politics has nothing to do with it.

If conservatives want to get mad I guess they can do so about Schilling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Simplex posted:

It's unsubstantiated if your proof is two random guys Vs cherry picking one dude out of 80

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Were there people wishing Dallas Braden got the axe? Because he did:

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/857430036781125632

Here's Scott Van Pelt's comments:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/857448373019959296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

politicorific posted:

On top of that, most of the viewer base was politically conservative; at least that's the other thing I saw about them and their parents.

That is also related to which sports they were fans of: http://www.businessinsider.com/politics-sports-you-like-2013-3