Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The show he did where he dated a bunch of people to get over his fiance leaving him was just a bit sad though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The show he did where he dated a bunch of people to get over his fiance leaving him was just a bit sad though. :smith:

Race Relations was amazing, especially the scene where he gassed David Irving.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cartoon posted:

As far as I can tell there are no McDonalds that don't serve bacon. They sell Halal products but bacon is still on the menu. Three KFCs stopped doing it (in Sydney as of 2014, he claims 2010)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/halal-food-dishing-out-change-in-our-fast-food-society/news-story/75bb715c6ff85a8aa31293061cd20601

So, as ever, the actual facts/truth matter not to these poo poo smears.

Worked a bit in a cafe that didn't serve bacon (owner was muslim). I cannot tell you how many people just could not understand why we didn't have it without being hand-held through the mental process. Had a couple fuckwits go into insane rants about how lovely the place was because of the lovely beef rashers on the breakfast roll and how we just gotta get bacon and just forget all that muslim stuff mate.

I didn't like the beef rashers either, but I just don't go there for breakfast.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

Worked a bit in a cafe that didn't serve bacon (owner was muslim). I cannot tell you how many people just could not understand why we didn't have it without being hand-held through the mental process. Had a couple fuckwits go into insane rants about how lovely the place was because of the lovely beef rashers on the breakfast roll and how we just gotta get bacon and just forget all that muslim stuff mate.

I didn't like the beef rashers either, but I just don't go there for breakfast.

I probably would have just said "ok can I get a cheese, tomato and onion toastie instead?" (delicious) but then I'm not a racist fuckwit. Just a regular fuckwit who normally has breakfast at home anyway.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Just lol if you're not getting smashed av on organic sourdough, maybe some feta to fancy it up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
People are huge entitled babies who throw a fit when they don't get what they want.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Was the thing where Safran stole a bunch of ladies underwear entirely staged. Even if it was that was creepy as poo poo.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bogan King posted:

Just lol if you're not getting smashed av on organic sourdough, maybe some feta to fancy it up.

And with haloumi

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Apparently Young LNP in Queensland just passed a motion to lobby the state party to reintroduce the crime of sedition after the "ANZAC Day controversy". StuPol: Never Not a Trashfire.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Safran's true crime book was really good, thanks for letting me know he's released a new one. He's a top drawer poo poo-stirrer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Kafka Syrup posted:

Apparently Young LNP in Queensland just passed a motion to lobby the state party to reintroduce the crime of sedition after the "ANZAC Day controversy". StuPol: Never Not a Trashfire.

Can I have a more authoritative source or something because this is loving amazing

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Kafka Syrup posted:

Hopefully it goes through and all the people convicted are the ones attacking Anne Aly over lies about her not laying a wreath on ANZAC day.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/boltcomments/status/857538805741625344

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I don't know, you get slandered on the front page of every Murdoch paper and you still can't get Bolt to acknowledge all hell's broken loose. Whaddya gotta do these days...

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

Can I have a more authoritative source or something because this is loving amazing

My source is sending some documents through to Buzzfeed OzPol so something might run with it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

I don't know, you get slandered on the front page of every Murdoch paper and you still can't get Bolt to acknowledge all hell's broken loose. Whaddya gotta do these days...

Bolt just does what the cheque writer tells him to do.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Mark Latham update:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4450418/Mark-Latham-outsiders-Fairfield-Sydney-criticises-English.html

quote:

Political commentator Mark Latham has slammed multiculturalism in Australia as a 'disgrace' claiming it isn't working because so many people can't speak English.
The former Labor leader travelled to the diverse suburb on Fairfield in Sydney's south-west this week, to determine whether Australia's multicultural communities were integrating.
'What I want to find out is, have we got general multiculturalism in Australia, or just ethnic enclaves?' he said in a video posted to Youtube on Tuesday.

The controversial political commentator, who was dumped from Sky News in March, was outspoken about his anger when people on the street told him they could not speak English.
'It's quite disgraceful, how can we have a proper cohesive multicultural community if people don't even speak the basic language of the nation?' he said.

'It's a disgrace that Chris Bowen and others have allowed this to happen.'
Shadow treasurer of Australia Chris Bowen was elected to the Fairfield City Council in 1995 and served as mayor in 1998 and 1999.

In the video Mr Latham shows various people telling him they can't speak to him because they didn't speak English.
'No no no,' one woman said.
'I don't speak English,' another said.
'No English' was also a common response in the video.

'The government has got to step in here and do everything it can to encourage and teach English,' he said.
Mr Latham slammed the region for its inability to speak the 'basic language of the nation'.
'We can't have multiculturalism without people being able to talk to each other and build trust and cooperation,' he said.
Mr Latham asked residents what they thought of neighbouring town Cabramatta, a region with a largely Asian population.
When his interviewees told him they did not visit the area, Mr Latham said it proved Australia was not a proper cohesive multicultural community.

'Essentially they're going to become an ethnic enclave,' he said about the south-western Sydney electorate.
'People don't get down to Cabramatta which is just a five minute drive away, talk to the Asian community, get to know people, make friends across racial and ethnic and cultural boundaries,' he said.
'It's not happening, this is the problem with Australian multiculturalism.'
Mr Latham suffered a public fall from grace when he was axed from Sky News program Outsiders in March.

The political commentator was sacked following a number of controversies around his comments including labelling a Sydney schoolboy 'gay' for appearing in a pro-feminism video.
Mr Latham also courted controversy when he launched a website called Mark Latham's Outsiders.
He was fiercely criticised for the name because it was in direct competition with his former employer Sky News which relaunched its program Outsiders without him.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"which relaunched its program [...] without him."

2004_election_result.txt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mark Latham had Anthony Mundine on last night, not even I can stomach that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I too would claim I couldn't speak English if Mark Latham wanted to talk to me on the street.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Until everyone can tell Latham to gently caress off, multiculturalism has failed

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Former Queensland premier Campbell Newman says the federal debate over a backpacker tax was redundant because robots will take their jobs soon anyway. 

Mr Newman, who is now involved in an agriculture robotics company, was speaking at an Australia-Israel Chamber of Commerce event on the "rise of the machines" on Thursday night. 

He said he was asked all the time about whether robotics could rip jobs out of regional Australia.

"I suppose, we don't really know, but the first point I make is a lot of the labour has been taken out of farms already," Mr Newman said.

"If you're talking about grain production, no impact at all [on jobs]. There are a handful of people who run vast farms."

But Mr Newman said other parts of the agricultural industry employed huge workforces.

"We've had the controversy of the backpacker tax, well I can tell you now, we will see robots inside five years, I reckon now, that'll just completely remove the need for labour," he said.

"So the poor old politicians arguing about tax, they are so far behind the eight-ball."

The backpacker tax passed the Senate in December after the Greens agreed to support the Coalition's favoured 15 per cent tax rate.

In exchange, the government scrapped its plan to tax 95 per cent of backpackers' superannuation, setting it at 65 per cent instead.

The former LNP leader also surprisingly praised his former Labor rivals in state parliament for their stance on coding in schools, before quickly changing tack and criticising them.

"One of the great things that [Premier] Annastacia Palaszczuk and [Education Minister] Kate Jones did in the education space in their first year in office was to say we're going to make coding study compulsory in the curriculum," Mr Newman said.

But Mr Newman - who listed himself as a "agriculture evangelist and tech head" in his slide presentation - said he did not think children were being equipped with the ability to deal with disruption, citing his difficulties in getting one of his products into Queensland schools.

"I'm involved in another little company which has just started up which is actually trying to, commercially trying to, get coding and robotics courses and kits out into schools," he said.

"I can tell you now we are having zero success, or very limited success.

"It is banging your head against a wall.

"The schools are terrified, the schools are saying, 'we don't have to do that, that's not in the curriculum. Oh, you have to talk to the IT teacher'.

"They won't take the calls - it aint happening."

Mr Newman said he should probably try to talk to Ms Jones about it at some stage but admitted he was "comercially-conflicted".

Mr Newman said schools were "terrified" and did not want to know.

"We are really, really, I think, in a bad space education-wise," he said.

"We are not preparing people for this disruption we're in - we've got to do something about it."

But Ms Jones said one of the Palaszczuk government's key priorities when it won power was to fast-track the rollout of digital technology curriculum into schools.

"I can assure all parents that coding and robotics is a critical part of the digital technology curriculum," she said.

"But obviously we can't show a preference for any particular product over another.

"As a mother of young children, like all parents, I want to be sure that our kids have the skills they need for the digital future."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's amazing the huge changes to his personality since the 90s.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Andrew Welder posted:

Shootout at Manus
About once a month in her column at The Conversation, Michelle Grattan comes to the conclusion that Peter Dutton is not a team player and not fully honest when it comes to the complicated facts and issues of asylum-seekers. This doesn't deter her from quoting his (what by now must surely be) worthless assertions: thanks to the wonders of goldfish journalism, every Dutton stuff-up is a fresh surprise to someone who sets the standard for the press gallery.

When it came to ministerial responsibility, public accountability, and other key principles underpinning democracy, Peter Dutton never had a chance. He entered parliament in 2001, at the election following hysteria about September 11 and the refugees aboard the MV Tampa. He defeated Labor's Cheryl Kernot, learning the lesson that even high-profile opponents can be brought down with enough dirt. Being a politician in a marginal seat requires a warm personality and a genuine concern for the local community; Dutton learned that fundraising can get around such shortcomings, particularly where Labor largely seemed to direct its energies elsewhere.

By the time Dutton became Assistant Treasurer under Peter Costello, the Howard government had lost its policy reform momentum; Costello had become bitter and twisted at not becoming Prime Minister. Soon afterward the Howard government lost office: any opportunity to teach young Dutton the finer points of vision, negotiation, or any other aspect of policy development and implementation simply went by the board.

He could have learned these lessons from the two Health Ministers he shadowed, Nicola Roxon and Tanya Plibersek. Both ran rings around him, policy-wise and in terms of having things to announce, but Dutton just sat quietly for six years; eventually their job simply fell into his lap. Healthcare professionals rated Dutton the worst Health Minister in a generation, but onward he went.

Like a child raised in poverty and dysfunction who ends up addicted and/or imprisoned, there was never any possibility Peter Dutton would or could have become an effective minister. Grattan and others in the gallery who chide him for falling short of standards impossible for him look like they don't understand the people and environment they've been covering for years.

From Trump and Abbott, Dutton learned that doubling down when wrong appeals to those who confuse obstinacy with fixity of purpose. The events of this week, where Dutton implied that asylum-seekers were pedophiles and shirked responsibility for yet another riot on Manus Island, should not have been as shocking as they apparently were.

Four things arising from this were surprising, however, and none received much coverage from the supposedly alert and diverse press gallery.

The first is that the Papua New Guinea police flatly contradicted an Australian government minister. Papua New Guinea had been an Australian colony from the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 to independence in 1975, and since then the country depended heavily on Australia for aid. Previous PNG governments danced around open confrontation with Australia; any exceptions tended to be reported in the Australian media as personality defects of the PNG politician concerned, rather than the issue itself. Recently, however, PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill has boosted relations with China, which has reciprocated in spades. PNG's trade and economic position relies less on Australia than it has for a century. Note the contrast with always-compliant Nauru, or too-quiet Christmas Island. We can expect more of this.

While Dutton has brushed off the accounts of local police about the Manus incident, it is clear the PNG government will not spare Australia from embarrassment, and that more information is yet to come out from Manus about conditions in the detention centre. Anzac Day pictures of smiling "fuzzy wuzzy angels" were designed to convey the idea that PNG will continue being compliant to Australian interests, but to rely too heavily on that would be a mistake.

Second, Turnbull didn't have to lend his name to Dutton's frolic. It has done him no good politically to embrace Dutton and feed his tough-guy fantasia. John Howard happily set off his pet ministers like Peter Reith or Tony Abbott on frolics of their own, not denouncing them but not standing in shot by them, prepared to step in to either claim credit or smooth over the damage, as appropriate. Turnbull should discipline Dutton for lying, and he needs to start casting around for an Immigration Minister with some credibility; he can't do either of those things. The Prime Minister has limited the scope he needs to manoeuver, which can't end well for him or the government more broadly.

Thirdly, the idea of cracking down on asylum-seekers as a vote-winner no longer applies. Nobody in the press gallery has twigged to this.

Fourth, Dutton as secret-intelligence bullshit artist hasn't learned the lessons from his fellow Queenslander, George Brandis. As soon as he became Attorney-General, Brandis began enthusiastically reducing our civil liberties on the basis of threats to which only he was privy. Over time Brandis' credibility has been diminished with all this wolf-crying, to the point where his every announcement is assumed to be a gaffe or a stuff-up. Demonstrations of competence, such as High Court appointments, are treated with relief. Brandis has spent decades trying to cultivate gravitas on the barren fields of his own abilities, and it hasn't worked; that's why it is time for him to go. Dutton is approaching the same point.

Peter Dutton's first job was as a police officer, a job requiring instant cultivation of gravitas and respect for kept secrets. Like Brandis, Dutton overestimates the extent to which "because I said so" is actually going to convince anyone. Never mind sincerity - conservatives have to be able to fake gravitas, or they're finished. This government is full of senior ministers who simply couldn't do gravitas if their lives depended on it - Dutton and Brandis, Pyne, Hunt, Cash, Joyce - they have to know on some level that their game is up.

As I've said before, Dutton has no powerbase. Queensland's LNP is disintegrating before our eyes, and he is neither a big enough player to ride out the storm nor small enough to survive and start again. No marginal-seat Liberal wants Dutton gladhanding in their electorate. The idea that he might become Prime Minister is a joke. He is a stalking horse for Abbott, just as the equally hapless former Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews was; just as the Abbott forces hoped Morrison might have been.

Dutton's attack on Mike Cannon-Brookes was reported by Mashable as just wacky political randomness, and the press gallery missed it entirely. Dutton was making a proxy attack on Turnbull. The Liberal Party isn't big on tech, and Turnbull's limited, long-ago experience of the sector (which informs his out-of-date preferences for the NBN) are virtually their only connection to a non-farm industry sector growing in size and importance. To attack somebody - anyone - in the tech sector is to attack Turnbull. Cannon-Brookes appeared not to realise this; government departments, the banks and other big companies import more IT workers (and employ more Australian IT workers) than Atlassian, yet you'll notice that Dutton didn't go after them. After all this is over, watch Abbott or Dutton sidle up to Cannon-Brookes and semi-apologise for using him as a political football.

For Turnbull, this is the thanks he gets for sticking his neck out for Dutton. It was genuinely amazing that the press gallery weren't all over this.

Queensland Labor needs to target Dickson with a seriousness that has largely been absent throughout Dutton's career. No more nice-but-dim local heroes. You don't want to give the LNP a run for their money, you want them to write Dickson off and scramble to foist Dutton elsewhere.

To be fair to the press gallery, while they remain deeply flawed we have seen this year some actual outbreaks of something approaching real journalism. Press gallery claim to be hunting for truth 24/7, but this is bullshit. In the first year of both the Turnbull and Rudd governments, the press gallery behaved as if the government could do no wrong. Throughout the entirety of the Gillard government, the government apparently could not do anything right. We are not in a position where the government is dead, where the opposition are wildly popular or where they have the gallery bluffed like Abbott did. Yet, the embarrassing gushing about Real Malcolm is behind us, and lately gallery reporting sometimes starts from a position of scepticism about what is being announced. It was genuinely shocking to see a carpet-stroller like Barrie Cassidy brave the choppy waters of ministerial authority - like Justin Bieber playing Macbeth, it's so incredible that it is even being contemplated that actual critique can't and doesn't take place. It can't last, and it's a product of an uncertain environment where gallery narratives simply aren't strong enough to sustain regular stories. Normal (dis)service will resume soon enough.

If Dutton has learned from Trump that you double down when the facts go against you, the US media is starting to learn the limits to which you can/should hang upon every word of a bullshit artist. The Australian media has never learned this: Abbott is not the media pariah his predecessor Billy McMahon was after 1972, and the media have embarrassed themselves by showering his handler Peta Credlin with the trinkets and baubles of their profession.

While it lasts, start thinking about government from first principles, and compare the tentative reporting of today with the gushing rubbish and ridiculous pile-ons from not very long ago. Then start thinking about how government can and should engage with the public. Playing the double game of hoping for more and better public information, while also lamenting the loss of redundant journo jobs, will only drive you crazy. Those wider questions of coverage and who does the covering has taken focus away from the daily whack-a-mole on which this blog has been built (and haven't I told you that lapsing into the passive voice means the writer/speaker is up to no good?). The work continues, with apologies to those hoping for more content more often.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:cawg:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

good article

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm amazed it's taken Scott Morrison this long to decide the slash the deficit by just not reporting 90%+ of it. The only funnier thing is that even by doing this he can't reach a surplus.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

good article

It was until he talked poo poo about my man Barrie :argh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm concerned about Campbell Newman building a robot army in the middle of nowhere. Occasionally muttering to the media about how he wants to educate kids.

Dr. Robotnik in the making.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How many cooks does it take to spoil the broth?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-26/stuart-robert-ccc-testimony-unbelievable-peter-young-says/8470930

quote:

Liberal MP Stuart Robert's CCC testimony 'unbelievable', Gold Coast councillor Peter Young says 7.30 By Peter McCutcheon Updated Wed at 9:32am

Turnbull Government backbencher Stuart Robert's testimony to Queensland's crime watchdog has been described by a Gold Coast councillor as "unbelievable". Mr Robert told the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) last week the reason he helped divert $60,000 of Liberal National Party funds into the campaigns of two independent candidates before last year's Gold Coast council elections was to stop the Labor Party getting a foothold. But independent councillor Peter Young said he believed he was the real target in the Gold Coast Council Division 5 election, not the Labor Party. "I'm confident Mr Robert does not consider me an ally," Mr Young said. "I've often been pigeonholed as an anti-development environmentalist."

Mr Young believes Mr Robert secretly diverted money into the campaign of his ex-staffer Felicity Stevenson in order to protect the interests of his pro-development donors. "Felicity Stevenson even put me last on her how-to-vote card, behind the allegedly pro-ALP candidate," he said. A spokesman for Mr Robert described Cr Young's claims as "false and disappointing". "The management of Ms Stevenson's campaign was entirely up to the candidate, including preference arrangements," he said. "The funding was provided to Felicity Stevenson by the LNP before Cr Young announced on February 10 that he would be contesting the election." 'My personal belief is that Peter Young was the target'

In his testimony to the CCC, Mr Robert singled out AWU industrial advocate Stacey Schinnerl as the Division 5 candidate he was trying to stop. But Ms Schinnerl has told the ABC she was rung by Ms Stevenson on February 13 last year and offered a preference deal. "The offer was that we both put Peter Young after each other on our how-to-vote cards," she said. Ms Schinnerl said the offer was not accepted. "My personal belief is that Peter Young was the target, and it goes back to protecting donors to the Liberal Party," she said. "Peter Young tends to vote against development applications that threaten the environment."

Mr Young won the contested division with just under 40 per cent of the primary vote. Ms Stevenson polled 20 per cent and Ms Schinnerl finished third on 16.6 per cent. The LNP's financial support of Ms Stevenson was not made public until after the election. Ms Stevenson was one of six candidates in the 2016 Gold Coast elections who hired former Tony Abbott staffer and developer lobbyist Simone Holzapfel on their campaigns. Last May, 7.30 asked Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate whether he was aware Ms Holzapfel was working on so many campaigns at once. His response was that he did not ask Ms Holzapfel for her client list.
Ah the Brandis defence. Lets see how that runs.

:siren: OOOOOOOooooooooo Terror Terror Boogie Boogie Boogie :siren: Those loving Jews again!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-28/18yo-israeli-national-charged-bomb-shooting-threat-calls/8479104

quote:

Israeli national charged over hoax bomb, shooting threats to Australian schools Updated 38 minutes ago An 18-year-old Israeli national has been charged with making thousands of hoax bomb and shooting threats, many of which targeted Australian schools. It is alleged over 2,000 robotic voice bomb and shooting hoax calls began in January 2016. Victoria Police, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and other state police forces investigated 591 threats in Australia. Victoria Police confirmed 128 of the threats were directed to Victorian schools. It is not known which other states were targeted. Internationally, the threats were investigated by a joint team including the FBI and law enforcement agencies in Israel, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

"The Victoria Police E-Crime Squad provided vital cyber evidence which resulted in the arrest of the Israeli suspect," Victoria Police said in a statement. "Israeli police acknowledged they could not have done it without us [the E-Crime Squad]." The suspect's identity can not be reported for legal reasons. He was 17 at the time of the offences. The case will be dealt with by the Israeli courts. In a separate case, a 17-year-old boy was in a children's court in Victoria on Thursday, charged with making dozens of bomb hoaxes to schools across Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia between May 2016 and April 2017.
The boy is due to appear in court again on June 26. Victoria Police confirmed the two cases were not connected.

Australia just chocked full of bullshit and crazy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Haha you think that's the worst thing the Gold Coast did today?

Gold Coast police urging victims to drop complaints to improve crime statistics

Gold Coast police officers are trying to paint a better picture of the official crime rate by “soliciting” victims to withdraw complaints, a damning report has found.

The Queensland auditor general’s report also warns crime statistics collated and released by the state’s police service should be “treated with caution”.

“The Queensland Police Service has an unacceptable amount of crime data across the state that is incomplete, inaccurate, and wrongly classified,” it reads.

Tabled in parliament on Wednesday, the report found an unhealthy focus on achieving performance targets on the tourist strip over quality data.

Officers in the Gold Coast district had multiple methods designed to make victims withdraw their complaints, thereby increasing the clearance rate, it was found.

The report said tactics also included sending letters to victims requiring them to respond within seven days or else it would be “presumed” no further action was wanted and the complaint withdrawn.

The district also supposedly adopted a “three strikes policy” where, if the victim couldn’t be contacted after three attempts, the complaint would be marked as withdrawn.

The scathing report also found a practice of altering crime data statistics by Gold Coast officers had “gone unnoticed or unchallenged at senior levels”.

“Gold Coast staff reported that an unhealthy focus on achieving performance targets, rather than data quality, has contributed to these results,” it states.

Flawed data reporting also appears to exist beyond the police service, with the auditor general also finding fault with information released to the public by the Queensland Corrective Services.

The report was drawn from information gathered during an audit carried out between March 2016 and March 2017.

Police minister Mark Ryan welcomed the release of the report and said it was already being acted on by the police and corrective services commissioners.
“I have also asked the police commissioner for regular updates on improvements to the QPS’ governance and quality assurance systems that are aimed at improving crime reporting quality and accuracy,” Ryan said in a statement.

Opposition police spokesperson Tim Mander said the leadership of the QPS has serious questions to answer, but also criticised the Labor government for not establishing a promised independent crime statistics office.

“Police Minister Mark Ryan needs to come clean and indicate just how bad the crime situation really is,” Mander said in a statement.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Cartoon posted:

:siren: OOOOOOOooooooooo Terror Terror Boogie Boogie Boogie :siren: Those loving Jews again!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-28/18yo-israeli-national-charged-bomb-shooting-threat-calls/8479104

it's not like teenage boys to pull stupid pranks :pranke:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Wow weird it's almost as if running essential services like an idiotic call centre manager leads to lovely results

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We gotta meet our low crime target, quickly!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the point was to make it look like there was massive crime and get more funding for armoured 4x4s and machine guns.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JBP posted:

I thought the point was to make it look like there was massive crime and get more funding for armoured 4x4s and machine guns.

two sets of figures, amount of crime reports means crime is high, then, amount of crime reports minus the ones thrown away = we're doing great!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I posted that yesterday 'davey.

Typical QLD, a day late, a dollar shorten.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hooman posted:

I posted that yesterday 'davey.

Typical QLD, a day late, a dollar shorten.

It's not like anyone pays attention.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

It's not like anyone pays attention.

RIP me, owned by anidav.

:squawk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Australia just chocked full of bullshit and crazy.

Is this the same dude that got pinched for threatening the Jewish community centres in the us? Are they gonna pin every call on the same guy?

• Locked thread