Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

On imgur front page, presented without comment.
Countries coloured by their alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Countries that fell through a wormhole?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Love how the quote about Poland being an "outpost" is from an actual Polish writer.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mystery of Atlantis, solved at last.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd actually be really curious how this version of the world developed. New Australia acts as a bridge between Europe and the Americas, so the Americas wouldn't be isolated from the rest of the world.

E: Australia itself would be an interesting mix of European and American influence, and a huge hub for trade. God knows what the new ocean currents in the Atlantic would look like.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 26, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Saladin Rising posted:

I'd actually be really curious how this version of the world developed. New Australia acts as a bridge between Europe and the Americas, so the Americas wouldn't be isolated from the rest of the world.

Australian megafauna dominates the world.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Australian megafauna dominates the world.

that's a very rude way to talk about the citizens of australia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladin Rising posted:

E: Australia itself would be an interesting mix of European and American influence, and a huge hub for trade. God knows what the new ocean currents in the Atlantic would look like.
The closest climate analogue to Western Europe in this scenario would probably be Finland, so Europe would be less of a thing in the first place. Mediterranean civilizations would have an easy time hopping along the Australian coast to the Americas though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The presence of land in the erstwhile North Atlantic Ocean would stop the currents that make Europe temperate.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saladin Rising posted:

There'd probably be a hurricane constantly circling the north atlantic.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
The sun never sets on the Tasmanian Empire

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Australia would, of course, have to be renamed Borealia.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Guavanaut posted:

Heretic map 0/5

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Count Roland posted:

Mystery of Atlantis, solved at last.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bugs slipped.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Gotta be related to Eurovision, I assume.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Saladin Rising posted:

God knows what the new ocean currents in the Atlantic would look like.

I'm certainly no oceanographer or climatologist, but I've picked up from playground rumor that the Gulf Stream current is the reason Europe is temperate despite being hilariously far north. (Rome and Chicago are latitude buddies. One of these has rather harsher winters than the other.) I think dropping a continent right in the way of that current might affect things just a tad.

But I bet South Borealia would be downright pleasant.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

British people have no room to talk because they use stupid poo poo like stone all the time and they had the dumbest non decimal currency till 1971.
Stone are great for measuring people, for the same reason that feet are: you get a nice small number that you can then qualify with another small number (pounds or inches respectively).

Every time I see an American quote their weight purely in pounds I go "well at this point you might as well use metric".

Also having to divide and multiply by 14 is hilarious and I love it.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 27, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: People have an irrational attachment to things they grew up with.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
this derailment has gone on for one hectopost

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

That is are post.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

Please follow the imperial measurements system of 40 shitposts making one page.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A true imperial thread would have a third, intermediate level of measurement based on the attention span of a biblical figure, so this thread is probably metric. :can:

Shall we return to less divisive subjects?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Finally a map where North Korea beats South Korea.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I like how India is in the "basically zero" category despite having some 200 million presumably circumcised Muslims

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Ras Het posted:

I like how India is in the "basically zero" category despite having some 200 million presumably circumcised Muslims
170ish million, out of 1.2 billion plus populations comes out to be about 15%, which is in the 0-20% range :v:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Tipping 10-15% in Germany seems a bit high, I was told 5-10%, is the map overestimating or have I met stingy Germans?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Falukorv posted:

Tipping 10-15% in Germany seems a bit high, I was told 5-10%, is the map overestimating or have I met stingy Germans?

Your data is out‐of‐date.

They murdered people with a reputation for being stingy about eighty years back.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Falukorv posted:

Nah, 5-10% seems to be the generally accepted amount here, with the percentage decreasing as the general amount paid for the service grows; so if I'm getting, say, pizzas for 27€ it wouldn't be amiss to give them 30€, but when eating out for 300€ giving more than 10-20€ seems a bit much

Fun fact: the German word for tip is "Trinkgeld", which literally means "drinking money" :beerpal:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

System Metternich posted:

Fun fact: the German word for tip is "Trinkgeld", which literally means "drinking money" :beerpal:

French, too: pourboire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PC Brigadier posted:

presented without comment

"Scratch a Russian and you will wound a Tartar" is literally the best (for Russians are extremely thin-skinned you see).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Åland big.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mama mia. :discourse:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

System Metternich posted:

Nah, 5-10% seems to be the generally accepted amount here, with the percentage decreasing as the general amount paid for the service grows; so if I'm getting, say, pizzas for 27€ it wouldn't be amiss to give them 30€, but when eating out for 300€ giving more than 10-20€ seems a bit much

Seems really regressive :capitalism:

It's called similarly in many other languages too, spropitné in Czech or чаевые in Russian, literally tea money.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

It's called similarly in many other languages too, spropitné in Czech or чаевые in Russian, literally tea money.
Literally the same in Latvian, though figures of speech vary between "tea money", "coffee money", and "drinking money".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

It tells you that in these countries, the staff is expected to be paid enough so that they can eat, lodge, and clothe themselves, but without enough extra for paying for social occasions.

Whereas the term "tip" means "here's a hint, anybody else than your stingy miser of a boss would pay you more, why are you still there you dummy".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mojo1701a posted:

French, too: pourboire.

im french and i never even realized

i only give one euro at most when i tip, seems okay to me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Kurtofan posted:

im french and i never even realized

i only give one euro at most when i tip, seems okay to me.

French is my third-ish language (I've studied it enough but don't get to practice it), and I can't not dissect words like that when I see them.

Still don't know what the Polish word is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Napiwek, so also drinking money.