Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember that the main characters of Persona 5 are all teens. And even Ryuji, the dumbest member of the Phantom Thieves, is smarter than anyone on the Investigation Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember that the main characters of Persona 5 are all teens. And even Ryuji, the dumbest member of the Phantom Thieves, is smarter than anyone on the Investigation Team
Well yeah, Persona has always been Scooby Doo basically, always outwitting all the adults.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The more I hear about the Persona games, the more terrible they sound.

Then again I hate JRPGs.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Well, actually, they're good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Akuma posted:

Well, actually, they're good.
Except for the things that are bad like a bunch of idiotic exposition and arbitrary restrictions on what you can do.

edit: once I finish P5 I'll go back to SMT4: Final, but what I really want is that upcoming Strange Journey game. The original was maybe my favorite so far. Almost no talk, just dungeons and traps.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fuzz posted:

Then again I hate JRPGs.

It is terrible. Every character is written poorly so not sure why there is discussion about one.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Except for the things that are bad like a bunch of idiotic exposition and arbitrary restrictions on what you can do.

this. as long as you are in control, doing dungeons, farting about town and stuff, the game is great. But then October comes and you want to kill yourself.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Fuzz posted:

Then again I hate JRPGs.

I kind of want to try Persona 5 but I'm getting serious Danganronpa vibes off the praise it gets.

Visual Novel anime poo poo is universally terrible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

spudsbuckley posted:

I kind of want to try Persona 5 but I'm getting serious Danganronpa vibes off the praise it gets.

Visual Novel anime poo poo is universally terrible.
I started playing Danganronpa but quit when the first person got executed because what the gently caress is that poo poo and who enjoys it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like creative fiction in all forms, and enjoy the hit game persona 5 for it's fun dialogue, light hearted subjects, and feel good plot line.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the actual plot of P5 is fine and goes well with the gameplay, the problem is that it's badly written with endless exposition and over writing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It really isn't that poorly written, especially when compared to other video games.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Just started Yakuza 0, my first ever Yakuza game. I can see this being a fun brawler, but the weird mix of animated and non-animated (the character's lips don't move) cut-scenes is a bit jarring.

It kinda feels like a mid-gen PS3 game, but I guess that's part of the charm.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MZ posted:

Just started Yakuza 0, my first ever Yakuza game. I can see this being a fun brawler, but the weird mix of animated and non-animated (the character's lips don't move) cut-scenes is a bit jarring.
Interestingly all the scenes like that are right at the beginning of the game and never appear again. I never knew why. Some kind of stylistic thing, or some weird compromise made during development?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

It really isn't that poorly written, especially when compared to other video games.

i've seen worse yes, and a lot of games have the same problems with the writing, that doesn't excuse it.

MZ posted:

It kinda feels like a mid-gen PS3 game, but I guess that's part of the charm.

yakuza 0 is a ps3 game. the ps4 version just has some upscaling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Interestingly all the scenes like that are right at the beginning of the game and never appear again. I never knew why. Some kind of stylistic thing, or some weird compromise made during development?

Yeah it seems like they just ran out of time for animations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like a lot of the issue comes from the translation over saying things that could have been left in subtext. There's not much you can do about that though, if you can look past a few extraneous lines of dialogue it's perfectly fine. The plot is strong the characters are believable and human, I grew up with a guy that was basically Ryuji, and they threw a lot of nuance in. I feel like the translation holds it back but not to the degree that you should throw away the whole game.

It's very dark, has some adult themes and is super anime, which are all reasons to dislike it. Some people can't get over the art style and you can't play a game you find ugly.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well yeah, Persona has always been Scooby Doo basically, always outwitting all the adults.

the Investigation Team was the P4 crew.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

yakuza 0 is a ps3 game. the ps4 version just has some upscaling.
A very late one, though - it came out in 2015.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Can someone update the Before I Play for Yakuza 0 to include:

-The game doesn't seem to auto-save and won't save for quite a while (~1hr?) after you start it. You'll need to manually save in the phone box immediately after making the phonecall during the first daytime section.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Maybe when the ps5 comes out japan will have invented some sort of system of saving automatically

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ryuji is a gigantic terrible fuckboy and easily the worst of the Junpei/Yosuke archtype.

I love when he hollers a lot in a really throaty voice after a fight, he has the best animation for coming over to see what's in the chest you're opening, he has a cool role in the gang. Ryuji ftw. I liked junpei too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the penance you pay for Y0 being your first Yakuza game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Then again I hate JRPGs.

It's actually one of the best games ever. Sorry you hate good games

EDIT: Like, what's even the point of a post like this besides trying to look cool with a smug "heh, look at what the plebs think is good"

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 27, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta make sure everyone knows which side you're on for the Great Anime Purge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Turtlicious posted:

I dunno man, I'm spoiled having just finished Titanfall 2, Witcher 3 + DLCs, and currently going through Arkham Knight and HZD...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Gotta make sure everyone knows which side you're on for the Great Anime Purge.

subs or dubs, citizen

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
What's with the proliference of betas now? Seems like every AAA game has "PREORDER NOW FOR EXXXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO THE SUPER TOP SECRET BETA!!1!" now. It's not only annoying, it's stupid, and sets a terrible precedent for future games.

Are console games going to end up having people buy unfinished alphas next? Oh, wait... Ark

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zipperelli. posted:

What's with the proliference of betas now? Seems like every AAA game has "PREORDER NOW FOR EXXXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO THE SUPER TOP SECRET BETA!!1!" now. It's not only annoying, it's stupid, and sets a terrible precedent for future games.

Are console games going to end up having people buy unfinished alphas next? Oh, wait... Ark

It's a way to do a demo but with a) a built-in excuse for anything about it that's unpolished or broken and b) an audience that's already predisposed to like and pay for the game so you don't risk losing any sales. They also get useful data out of it about server usage, I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah Betas are SUPER important for MP games nowadays in terms of network stress tests.

Releasing games as "early access" should be totally banned, it ruined Steam.

Like you mentioned Zipperelli, no way should Ark have been allowed a PSN sales page.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I would not have bought Overwatch or Titanfall 2 if the betas hadn't left me needing bigger hits.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Conversely, I hated the Titanfall 2 beta and thought the game sucked rear end. The good reviews and Word of mouth here convinced me otherwise.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I don't think a beta has ever soured me on a game as hard as For Honor. Not that I expected anything but 20 minutes of that beta weekend showed me everything I needed.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Like you mentioned Zipperelli, no way should Ark have been allowed a PSN sales page.

Like, the devs are totally upfront about it being in Alpha. Knowing that, I have 2 questions:

1. How the gently caress do you justify having it on the PSN store when it's not a full loving game?

And

2. How the gently caress do you justify loving DLC for it already, when the god drat vanilla game isn't even done yet?

Jesus Christ. Like, how? why?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was hating on Nioh's style before but I'm starting to get some big boy armor and it's pretty cool looking. Also the animated cutscenes are pretty slick! Also I'm wearing what looks like a sock on my head right now, which is great.

I'll probably get salty forever every time I get to the end of a mission then get dunked on in one half-hearted combo by a demon though

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also your weapons are only things you would find in Akihabara, like PC monitors and anime posters and stuff.

Everything but the actual play mechanics is really funny.

Dead Rising 5 went in a real weird direction.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 27, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I am spoiled for choice at what to play next right now. Is Nier a relatively short game? I'm not sure I want to take on another 80 hour campaign after I just got my FFXV plat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morby posted:

I am spoiled for choice at what to play next right now. Is Nier a relatively short game? I'm not sure I want to take on another 80 hour campaign after I just got my FFXV plat.
I finished all the endings in about 35 hours I think?

edit: Just the main endings, not the gag endings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most full runthroughs of Nier clock in between 40-50 hours. So not exactly a short game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

Like, the devs are totally upfront about it being in Alpha. Knowing that, I have 2 questions:

1. How the gently caress do you justify having it on the PSN store when it's not a full loving game?

And

2. How the gently caress do you justify loving DLC for it already, when the god drat vanilla game isn't even done yet?

Jesus Christ. Like, how? why?

There's two fairly complex answers to those questions :

1. $$$

and

2. $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Most full runthroughs of Nier clock in between 40-50 hours. So not exactly a short game.

is that a 100% run? i don't think i spent more than 30 on getting the main endings, and i only did some side quests here and there.