Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
People with bad experiences tend to post about them everywhere... you probably saw the same person post about their issue on five different sites.

The T300/TX (depending on if you want Xbox or PS4 compatibility, or don't care) is probably the best bang for the buck in the new market. And I'm a Fanatec fanboy, so that's a decent compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

You never know how awful these people treat their items or level of computer knowledge. And seeing a single person posting that a replacement broke in a similar way, is generally a good clue as to the issue being caused by them, unless there is a huge group having the same issue. Motor stops working, could very well be due to being immature babies that kick the poo poo out of the wheel after hitting a wall. Oops, now the wheel doesn't work and clearly that is the wheels fault, not their short temper.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The first thrustmaster tx I bought crapped out within 5 minutes of hooking it up to the xbone. It was right when it came out. I took it back to the store and exchanged it for another one which worked well for a long time. Eventually I lost my job so I sold it on eBay. When I got another job I bought another one and this one had the same failure within 5 minutes of using it the first time. Instead of exchanging this one, I opened a ticket with thrustmaster support. They did some troubleshooting and sent me a replacement. They asked me to cut the USB cable from the back of the unit and send a picture as proof. I did that.

The replacement they sent worked for about a month and then one day while racing smoke started coming out of the vents and it just stopped working. This was a different failure. I contacted thrustmaster again, again they sent a replacement, again they asked me to cut off the USB cable and send a picture as proof. They sent me another replacement wheel base that worked.

I'm good with a soldering iron so I moved the power supply from the one that went up on smoke to the one that failed within 5 minutes. It worked! I sold that one to a goon (fully disclosing that it was a hacked together wheel base that was originally 2 broken ones) and used the 2nd replacement for over a year. My wife had a baby and my video game time dwindled to nearly nothing so I sold that one on eBay. The baby is now a toddler and I have some time for games again so I got a Logitech g920 but I didn't like how loud and clunky it was so I sold it and got another thrustmaster, this time a T300 since I had a PS3 and a PC and the racing game series I played the most on Xbox was coming to PC later this year anyway. About a month in I've had no problems with the t300.

I was never violent with the wheels, I didn't abuse them, I just think they are have some build quality issues, but overall they are also my favorite wheels to use so like a victim in an abusive relationship I keep coming back. Thrustmaster customer support is good when you've got failures. They send replacements super quickly. I've had thrustmaster, Logitech, and fanatec wheels before. I never had a Logitech one fail, had the few thrustmaster ones that failed that I mentioned above, and I did also have a fanatec that arrived broken brand new. Fanatic customer support involved waiting for packages to be shipped from Germany and the customer support process just wasn't pleasant.

As far as quality of equipment if you get the high end thrustmaster pedals and the thrustmaster shifter they are just as good as anything from fanatec and much better than anything from Logitech. For wheels/wheel bases when the thrustmaster is in working order it's better than either of the others in terms of how the force feedback feels and just the feel of the wheel in your hands. It's the quietest one, and it works in every pc game I've tried unlike the Logitech g920 (which is ridiculous since it's just a dressed up g25/g27 which has been around for like 15 years)

Be prepared for a hassle with a thrustmaster but if you get one that works it is the best wheel you can get for the money.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

T300 for me that I used heavily for a month or two then haven't really touched it since. Another anecdote. :v: I went with a used G27 before this that died on me and bought another used one that I later sold when I upgraded to the T300.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I have a T300 in my closet that I haven't used in months. One day I will have a house big enough to set up a permanent sim pit like an idiot with too much money and space but that just isn't in the cards atm.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Having a permanent cockpit definitely increases your driving time

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I sold my G27 because I didn't have a permanent spot for it and setting it up sucked. But I still do things like spend time trying to get a Steam Controller to work with iRacing (it won't) because I miss it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I sold my G27 because I didn't have a permanent spot for it and setting it up sucked. But I still do things like spend time trying to get a Steam Controller to work with iRacing (it won't) because I miss it.

What's amazing is how much the G27 and g29 wheels cost on eBay really. Used wheels go for more than the price of a new t300 last I checked, and who knows if you're going to get one where some raging rear end in a top hat destroyed the gears in the wheel.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 27, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I sold my used G27 on eBay for like $450 and I still don't know why

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ars put up a fluff piece about PCars 2:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/project-cars-2-is-on-the-way-with-much-improved-tire-physics/

Lots of words dedicated to saying the tire simulation is really fix this time, for real now guys! Hopefully they deliver on it because I was pretty happy with the first game, even though it was riddled with weird lovely issues.

Now I just need to dig into my wallet and spring for a VR setup, that's what really keeps me from driving these days. My wheel is fine I'm just tired of staring at a monitor while using it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I sold my used G27 on eBay for like $450 and I still don't know why

Hipsters. That's why.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general

The Science Goy posted:

Hockenheim just hit the Automobilista beta - I'll have to give that a whirl this week

Does it have the old layout? :)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

Ars put up a fluff piece about PCars 2:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/project-cars-2-is-on-the-way-with-much-improved-tire-physics/

Lots of words dedicated to saying the tire simulation is really fix this time, for real now guys! Hopefully they deliver on it because I was pretty happy with the first game, even though it was riddled with weird lovely issues.

Now I just need to dig into my wallet and spring for a VR setup, that's what really keeps me from driving these days. My wheel is fine I'm just tired of staring at a monitor while using it.

Yeah ill believe it when I see it.

Shift 2 and PCars both had pretty major issues I couldn't see passed.

Is the lead dev still a loving basket case?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Iirc hes sponsoring a pretendracecars.net short track car.

So yeah still insane.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I need more time I kind of miss iracing but I am low on time so I can't justify the money if it was $50 a year again my thrustmaster would probably be getting more use

Nr3003 just doesn't cut it for me.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 27, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I went get project cars 2 until I know the VR performance is acceptable. It went from running really great to running like absolute garbage and I have barely played it since. I enjoyed the weather and night stuff, though I can easily do without it for clearer visuals/smoother frame rate.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Some day we will get a sim that does a 24 hour race with dynamic weather and day/ night cycles

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Norns posted:

Some day we will get a sim that does a 24 hour race with dynamic weather and day/ night cycles

rF2 does, but it's not very impressive. The RealRoad dynamic wet/dry line is cool, but the day night transition isn't great. Maybe with DX11...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The Science Goy posted:

rF2 does, but it's not very impressive. The RealRoad dynamic wet/dry line is cool, but the day night transition isn't great. Maybe with DX11...

rF2 has to much jank for me to try a 24 hour league out

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

Iirc hes sponsoring a pretendracecars.net short track car.

So yeah still insane.

This prompted me to check PRC for the first time in months and apparently he's full on working for SMS now :eyepop:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GhostDog posted:

This prompted me to check PRC for the first time in months and apparently he's full on working for SMS now :eyepop:

Which is funny considering he was one of the loudest people about the hilariously buggy state PCars 1 launched in.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I still have my Fanatec GT2 and CSP1 pedals from god, 7 years ago? I haven't used it in about a year but I beat the crap out of it for Dirt Rally. Only issue I had was the wheel sensor breaking, but Fanatec sent me a new one no problem.

Wear and tear happens so I'm used to it.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

I downloaded raceroom just to mess with the steam controller setup for it because I've been having so much fun with Dirt:Rally and AC. I couldn't get it to work as good there either. It was OK I guess. I think it was more raceroom's fault than my controller. I just like the way AC and Dirt feel, they both have a way of making the car's suspension feel tangible to me, even without force feedback. I instinctively know where the weight is, if that makes sense.

They key to the steam controller gyro for me is messing with the advanced options. Linear curve with a tiny bit of dead zone in the middle works the best for my lazy lap wheel.

I'm still dreaming of a wheel/chair/VR setup. This just works a lot better than I was expecting for living room TV playing and I'm excited about it. Going to clean up my control config and publish Dirt/AC steam controller setups as "Poor Man's Wheel" this weekend if anyone wants to mess with it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

njsykora posted:

Which is funny considering he was one of the loudest people about the hilariously buggy state PCars 1 launched in.

i really should start a poo poo talking blog and just see if i cant get kart sponsors.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

GutBomb posted:

The first thrustmaster tx I bought crapped out within 5 minutes of hooking it up to the xbone

Yeah, stories like these kinda have me worried but hopefully it will be ok. It's not like there is much choice anyway, just Logitech and Thrustmaster. Everything else seems to be much more expensive. I'm not hugely into sim stuff but I've always played racing games and playing Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally and pCars really made me feel that it's time to upgrade from controller.

So yeah, I've been looking at both T150 and T300, probably end up with T300 when I can find good deal on it locally.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Yeah, stories like these kinda have me worried but hopefully it will be ok. It's not like there is much choice anyway, just Logitech and Thrustmaster. Everything else seems to be much more expensive. I'm not hugely into sim stuff but I've always played racing games and playing Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally and pCars really made me feel that it's time to upgrade from controller.

So yeah, I've been looking at both T150 and T300, probably end up with T300 when I can find good deal on it locally.

There are various flavours of 300's and my favourite would be the one with the Alcantara rim and the T3PA 3-pedals:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t300-ferrari-integral-racing-wheel-alcantara-edition

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

peter gabriel posted:

There are various flavours of 300's and my favourite would be the one with the Alcantara rim and the T3PA 3-pedals:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t300-ferrari-integral-racing-wheel-alcantara-edition

This is what I have, paired with the th8a shifter and it's fantastic.

Edit: I actually have the t3pa-pro pedals but the ones in this package are pretty good too. The only difference is that they aren't invertible.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 29, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feminasty Slut posted:

I downloaded raceroom just to mess with the steam controller setup for it because I've been having so much fun with Dirt:Rally and AC. I couldn't get it to work as good there either. It was OK I guess. I think it was more raceroom's fault than my controller. I just like the way AC and Dirt feel, they both have a way of making the car's suspension feel tangible to me, even without force feedback. I instinctively know where the weight is, if that makes sense.

They key to the steam controller gyro for me is messing with the advanced options. Linear curve with a tiny bit of dead zone in the middle works the best for my lazy lap wheel.

I'm still dreaming of a wheel/chair/VR setup. This just works a lot better than I was expecting for living room TV playing and I'm excited about it. Going to clean up my control config and publish Dirt/AC steam controller setups as "Poor Man's Wheel" this weekend if anyone wants to mess with it.

Let me know when you post these and I will check them out

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

If you're going to get a new wheel having never had one before you might as well go with this package, it has decent pedals and the larger steel rim with the alcantara leather provides a really good solid feeling. Only problem might be that the control box was obviously made for a smaller diameter wheel and may punish you for having tiny hands.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Anyone have any success with NR 2003 CamHack? (It's a utility that lets you adjust the cockpit FOV and seat position etc)

The program itself runs fine and I can set up the keys, but it has absolutely no effect in-game.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

orange juche posted:

If you're going to get a new wheel having never had one before you might as well go with this package, it has decent pedals and the larger steel rim with the alcantara leather provides a really good solid feeling. Only problem might be that the control box was obviously made for a smaller diameter wheel and may punish you for having tiny hands.

Yup, this briefly went on sale at Amazon and I got it almost immediately. Hopefully my Thrustmaster TMX would have enough resale value to offset the cost a bit. The pedals are OK, but still a step up over my TMX set. One day I'll get the TPA3-Pro's and the gearshift.

Hopefully I don't get a bad wheel though. Thrusmaster QC looks to be pretty up or down.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Hopefully I don't get a bad wheel though. Thrusmaster QC looks to be pretty up or down.

Their QC is a bit inconsistent, but Amazon is typically pretty good when it comes to exchanges. Check to see what exchange period you have through Amazon. If it fails during that window then you (hopefully) shouldn't have to deal with Thrustmaster customer service.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It's been a long time since I've played any sims. Never even heard of automovilista. How does it compare to rfactor 2? Are there lots of community tracks? Oval and stock cars?

Also lol pCars already making version 2. Version 1 never even felt complete.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They have to make PCars 2 so they can stop paying out dividends for PCars 1.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Don't know if I'm one of the last people to get it, but if Windows 10 does the Creator's Update you probably need to reinstall the Fanatec drivers to get Windows to recognize the wheel again.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

They have to make PCars 2 so they can stop paying out dividends for PCars 1.

I am in fact one of the receivers of those dividends. So weird seeing like 7 euros being dropped in my paypal every once in a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of PCars 2 the preorder edition is hilarious. The Esports Live pass especially as it implies they're going to be doing live events. However that loving snapback....

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

njsykora posted:

Speaking of PCars 2 the preorder edition is hilarious. The Esports Live pass especially as it implies they're going to be doing live events. However that loving snapback....

Why would you care about a sketch book of real cars? Just put pictures of the real cars in there. Do they even use artists for the models or just spend the day at a dealership (or factory) doing a 3d scan.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wonder if they actually finish the cars this time or if the just release them again with all the FFB values at default and expect you to fiddle with dozens of sliders yourself. But hey, it's highly customizable, that's great isn't it? *spends 2 hours per car doing the developers work*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Holy poo poo, talk about catering to the non-simracer crowd. If there's not fantastic triple screen support I won't touch that with a ten foot pole.

If there is fantastic triple screen support I not buy it on sale for 15 bucks, but no more.