Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mace Bacon posted:

It's hiding edits

"hiding"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the set really a flat backdrop? I figured they just had one camera. Moon 13 can handle multiple angles. Actually, when has a host segment ever done more than one angle?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I loved the new episodes, and hope they get more seasons.

The only hiccup was while watching The Land Time Forgot because I thought that it was set during WW2, which left me feeling uncomfortable when it was going morally ambiguous with the two sides on the Submarine (but now that I know that it's WW1, I'm alright with it)

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Jack Gladney posted:

Is the set really a flat backdrop? I figured they just had one camera. Moon 13 can handle multiple angles. Actually, when has a host segment ever done more than one angle?

I suspected there was a fair bit of green screen done, but there are definitely angles where you can see they built Moon 13. I'd expect the spent a lot less time/money on the SOL set and just dealt with it. With another season maybe they'll build that area up and do bigger sketches there.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Speaking of the land that time forgot, hey people who rip clips of this thing to YouTube. Get the Meizoiac BBQ skit up there. That's hands down the best one of the season.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jack Gladney posted:

It looks like it due to lighting, but it isn't. It just doesn't extend beyond the field of view of the camera, no hexfield, no window.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Part of ditching the Hexfield was no doubt that most of the cameos were actual celebrities whose parts were probably filmed separately from the main cast to accommodate their schedules. They cut away to models and then to a separate screen now instead, which is probably fine. I agree the SOL set could use a little more breathing room, but maybe it'll get that if they get renewed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Part of ditching the Hexfield was no doubt that most of the cameos were actual celebrities whose parts were probably filmed separately from the main cast to accommodate their schedules. They cut away to models and then to a separate screen now instead, which is probably fine. I agree the SOL set could use a little more breathing room, but maybe it'll get that if they get renewed.
I think the lack of breathing room (and the whole edits thing) is just because the actors aren't 100% time-dedicated to the show, like they were with the old seasons.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, mind. But it's not like a "normal" TV show where everyone was always on hand and you had more time to do things like reshoots. As much as they love it, this is probably still technically a "side project" for most of the cast and had to work it around tours or events or weekly podcasts or whatever. Given that, I think they did a pretty drat good job.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, for having filmed this thing in two weeks, it's truly incredible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, this was all done in two weeks? Holy poo poo.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, this was all done in two weeks? Holy poo poo.

Filming was. I'm sure sets were built and scripts were written before then. But they didn't have a ton of time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mangler103 posted:

Filming was. I'm sure sets were built and scripts were written before then. But they didn't have a ton of time.

To put this in perspective, all of the host segments were filmed in two days. I don't know about you, but I couldn't even binge watch the season that fast!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh man. I just finished Beast in the Hollow Mountain. I think this is my favourite one yet. Such a slow plodding movie, and BAM! Crude stop motion dinosaur out of nowhere!
I just watched this one last night for the first time and I think it is in my top 10 best MST3K / Rifftrax ever created. The riffing is really excellent, I couldn't stop laughing. There is a bit of a lull in the comedy from the first scene until maybe 10-15 minutes in and then it just picks up and goes through the roof by the end. Also, now I know it is perfectly respectful to mozy around on a horse around in a cemetery.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jack Gladney posted:

They DO have only one camera.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I only have one episode left, but so far I've been disappointed by Cambot. Joel wrote an interesting KS update a while back musing what sort of character Cambot could actually be and where his allegiances lie (it's the Mads). I was hoping the show would explore this a bit but nope, he's just a camera that occasionally pulls up Rocket Number 9.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Just finished The Land That Time Forgot, and lost it at J&TB yelling WORLDSTAR! at the fighting dinosaurs.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

Just finished The Land That Time Forgot, and lost it at J&TB yelling WORLDSTAR! at the fighting dinosaurs.

That was my first open guffaw that never would've happened in '99.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
And then Crow's heavily accented "I have a-breakededed the door" in Hercules just destroyed me. Christ, they've hit this show out of the park.

I'd love an extended version of the Skeleton Crew's ska version of To Earth.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

TL posted:

And then Crow's heavily accented "I have a-breakededed the door" in Hercules just destroyed me. Christ, they've hit this show out of the park.

I'd love an extended version of the Skeleton Crew's ska version of To Earth.

If they released a CD I'd definitely....pick it up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm rewatching this and "Greaaaat more boooones. :rolleyes:" was somehow even more funny the second time.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The petting zoo is open.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Up through The Land That Time Forgot now. This seemed like it was going to be a weak episode—for about the first third, the movie wasn't bad enough or interesting enough to strike me as MST3K-worthy, and the first intermission sketch was lousy and went nowhere (but it's pretty obvious that this is where that Jack Black as Captain Beefheart cameo was supposed to have happened). It got stronger as it went on, and I have to echo the praise for Moon 14 Dinosaur Barbecue—that was my favorite skit of the season so far, and had the inspired lunacy of vintage MST3K at its best. Also loved the "down periscope" running gag, and that we finally got a sketch that explored the new Crow's character a bit. This was the first time I noticed his eyes' motionlessness to the point that it was distracting, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 28, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Ballz posted:

I only have one episode left, but so far I've been disappointed by Cambot. Joel wrote an interesting KS update a while back musing what sort of character Cambot could actually be and where his allegiances lie (it's the Mads). I was hoping the show would explore this a bit but nope, he's just a camera that occasionally pulls up Rocket Number 9.

Cambot also sheds tears at camera abuse.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

About a year ago, RiffTrax released Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and within a day or two pulled it. Now it's on the new MST3K. It's probably a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder if there's a connection there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rollersnake posted:

and I have to echo the praise for Moon 14 Dinosaur Barbecue—that was my favorite skit of the season so far, and had the inspired lunacy of vintage MST3K at its best.

That skit had a very Patton feel to it since it was basically his Black Angus routine.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

howe_sam posted:

That skit had a very Patton feel to it since it was basically his Black Angus routine.

It reminded me a lot of the old extra-extra-extra bold barbecue sauce sketch from the Mike Comedy Central era too. Where it just kept going and kept slathering on how extreme it was.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Gavok posted:

About a year ago, RiffTrax released Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and within a day or two pulled it. Now it's on the new MST3K. It's probably a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder if there's a connection there.

I feel like this kind of stuff happens. There was a first season episode that was recorded at the end, but was numbered 104 because of rights issues. And Merlins Shop of Wonders was played at the end of season 10. Rights like these are weird, and it's hard to find out who even owns some of this stuff.

Sorry I missed the Rifftrax version though. Is it floating around somewhere?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I genuinely can't tell if The Christmas That Almost Wasn't is overdubbed in English or if the actors are just very very Italian.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pollyanna posted:

I genuinely can't tell if The Christmas That Almost Wasn't is overdubbed in English or if the actors are just very very Italian.

The writer of the film was the "lawyer" and somehow he still gave himself absolutely nothing to do. The whole film is so greasy and creepy and weird and yet I think it's my favorite Christmas MST3k.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The writer of the film was the "lawyer" and somehow he still gave himself absolutely nothing to do.

That's unfair. He was a widdle baby, who woved his mommy and daddy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The writer of the film was the "lawyer" and somehow he still gave himself absolutely nothing to do. The whole film is so greasy and creepy and weird and yet I think it's my favorite Christmas MST3k.

If you don't think too hard about it it just comes across as kinda knuckleheaded. Now that I know that the lawyer guy wrote the film, this thing is looking more insidious by the minute.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

If you don't think too hard about it it just comes across as kinda knuckleheaded. Now that I know that the lawyer guy wrote the film, this thing is looking more insidious by the minute.

Imagining that many of the batshit crazy MST3K movies were only made to satisfy some writer or directors bizarre fetish somehow makes more sense than these movies being made for a general audiences entertainment.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mangler103 posted:

Imagining that many of the batshit crazy MST3K movies were only made to satisfy some writer or directors bizarre fetish somehow makes more sense than these movies being made for a general audiences entertainment.

manos: the hands of fate resulted from a literal bet that the guy who made the film couldn't make a film. to his credit, he won the bet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This just makes everything more confusing.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Barudak posted:

This just makes everything more confusing.

I strongly suspect mescaline was involved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Birdemic riff remains the best of all the MST3ks and Rifftrax I've seen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

The Birdemic riff remains the best of all the MST3ks and Rifftrax I've seen.

This actually surprises me, because I actually feel like even Mike, Kevin and Bill couldn't salvage that piece of poo poo. NOTHING loving HAPPENS FOR AN HOUR! NOTHING! There's not even a basic comprehension of scale or limitations of the budget, so Victoria's Secret apparently are officed in a loving strip mall.

James Nguyen movies actually make me angry!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

This actually surprises me, because I actually feel like even Mike, Kevin and Bill couldn't salvage that piece of poo poo. NOTHING loving HAPPENS FOR AN HOUR! NOTHING! There's not even a basic comprehension of scale or limitations of the budget, so Victoria's Secret apparently are officed in a loving strip mall.

James Nguyen movies actually make me angry!

Julie and Jack is worse though. It's Birdemic without the birds. I like both Riffs. But I can't say either would be a favorite.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At least Replica looks like it has one hammy bad performance in it from the evil scientist guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

That's unfair. He was a widdle baby, who woved his mommy and daddy.

It's such a great recurring joke because each time that they do it, the lawyer is doing something new to fill us with revulsion at his weirdness.