Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It looks like running and assault are okay now since 'advance' comes 'at the expense of shooting'.

If we get some ability to assault from reserves/deepstrike/etc then this fall back ability is a nice balancing counter to it.

I am excite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The disengage action totally changes the way Assault works in 40k and I love it. With that one change it's already a whole different game.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's sort of like the charge/bounce mechanic of Kings of War in a way.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I wonder if this means they are removing Overwatch and/or all other charge reactions

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is charge rules. With them stressing all movement happening in pne phase, do you think they will also be moved?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is charge rules. With them stressing all movement happening in pne phase, do you think they will also be moved?

I'm guessing that charge moves will stay in the assault phase, given that they weren't mentioned today but that may just be how they're doling out information at this point

e: Talking with ANAmal.net about this, I also hope that challenges are either gone, or get an overhaul. It just feels like too much of a WHF mechanic to me, and never sat right with me that armies like Tau/Necrons/AdMech could get challenged and then have to skulk if they decline. Like OK, Orks and Chaos and Marines having combat pride or whatever, sure. But why wouldn't a Tau sergeant just go "no, that's dumb" and keep fighting normally?

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 27, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I imagine Orks will have a rule that prevents them from falling back. Hopefully this will be in exchange for something awesome and great.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I imagine Orks will have a rule that prevents them from falling back. Hopefully this will be in exchange for something awesome and great.

'Must Sweeping Advance'

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a way to check out the Shadow War rules? It looks like the rulebook is on preorder?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Probably a bunch of extra wounds, because gently caress orks.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
They'll need to make assault distance more consistent otherwise games are going to be lost on kiting a slow assault unit and them failing a charge.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

They'll need to make assault distance more consistent otherwise games are going to be lost on kiting a slow assault unit and them failing a charge.

yeah, I"m not going to be happy if we have 2d6 charge distances again

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you still have your necromunda rulebook?

They didn't publish the full rules online, but you can see a bunch of faction-specific rules that they posted for free on the GW site:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-pre-order-and-downloadsgw-homepage-post-4/

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm fine with random run distance, but for the love of god please make charges consistent.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I imagine they'll keep it since it's 2D6 in current 40k and AoS. Doesn't bother me too much but wouldn't mind them changing it to be more consistent.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

'Must Sweeping Advance'

30k players know all about what a huge penalty being forced to sweep was. Glad to see it go!

:qq:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

I'm fine with random run distance, but for the love of god please make charges consistent.

Make it move+d6 rather than 2d6, that fixes it pretty much entirely.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Make it move+d6 rather than 2d6, that fixes it pretty much entirely.

The upside is that even if it stays 2D6, kiting is still pretty hard unless you are much faster than your opponent--if Tau have a 6" move and fall back from terminators, the terminators can still move 5" then get a minimum 2" charge the following turn.

But I just want random charges to go away. I'm ok with random run distance, but that's because I consider it "bonus" movement.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

The upside is that even if it stays 2D6, kiting is still pretty hard unless you are much faster than your opponent--if Tau have a 6" move and fall back from terminators, the terminators can still move 5" then get a minimum 2" charge the following turn.

But I just want random charges to go away. I'm ok with random run distance, but that's because I consider it "bonus" movement.

Thing is melee units aren't safe in combat anymore unless you're tying up all of their ranged at once.

You take your assault murderers and charge, take out half the squad, next turn they fall back and they can shoot the melee unit with the rest of the army before they get to charge again next turn.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Thing is melee units aren't safe in combat anymore unless you're tying up all of their ranged at once.

You take your assault murderers and charge, take out half the squad, next turn they fall back and they can shoot the melee unit with the rest of the army before they get to charge again next turn.

true; that part def sucks. I was really hoping 40k would have a better way to make winning combats decisively matter--right now one of the game's biggest failings is that you almost never want to win a combat the turn you charge, but rather win on your opponent's turn.

vvv yeah, missed that he said that. But they can be shot by the rest of the army, so picking your melee targets will be super important.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 27, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

You can't shoot after falling back, so they stay tied up long enough for you to reengage.

If anything, ranged units aren't safe in combat unless protected by a vanguard who can swoop in and prevent incoming charges.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

They can't shoot your unit again until after they would be able to charge again. Also if you took out half the squad leadership stuff would they start applying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Stupid newbie question, with the 8th edition coming out I have been thinking of getting a starter pack and playing a bit again (haven't played since 3rd edition). Is it worth me holding off until the 8th edition drops or will most of the books carry over? I don't want to buy all the rulebooks just to have then obsolete in two months, but I can't seem to find a release date for 8th

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Stupid newbie question, with the 8th edition coming out I have been thinking of getting a starter pack and playing a bit again (haven't played since 3rd edition). Is it worth me holding off until the 8th edition drops or will most of the books carry over? I don't want to buy all the rulebooks just to have then obsolete in two months, but I can't seem to find a release date for 8th

Zero books carry over. Wait.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Buy models skip books play 30k

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

New editions typically drop around June, so expect it then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Yeah, the models will all be usable, but the rulebooks are all going away. Better to wait in that regard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TKIY posted:

What I figured, previously it was a bit grey with the codexes. Oh well, more time to paint my little men.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like that units won't be safe in close combat. If anything, it forces you to attack as an army and not piecemeal. Sure, you can run up ahead with those assault units and wipe out a squad or two, but they're going to get immediately killed by the rest of the army. A better tactic would be to engage firing lines, then move those assault units up or attack from the flanks.

I also love that you cannot tarpit. That's boring as poo poo.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like that units won't be safe in close combat. If anything, it forces you to attack as an army and not piecemeal. Sure, you can run up ahead with those assault units and wipe out a squad or two, but they're going to get immediately killed by the rest of the army. A better tactic would be to engage firing lines, then move those assault units up or attack from the flanks.

I love that my troops don't need to stand there getting punched by a dreadnought they can't realistically hurt while it murders them

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

As a necron who keeps playing against death guard, pretty excited about not getting stuck in double-tarpits the whole game.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
They mentioned that some units like flyers have a minimum movement. Does this mean that they must Fall Back?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I would assume most infantry would have difficulty punching a jet.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

panascope posted:

Buy models skip books play 30k

But 30k requires the most expensive books.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
A lot of cavalry units in AOS have this rule:

I can see something similar being given to fast units like bikes and jump packs if 2d6" charge stays.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, where on earth are these so called 30k rules?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Floppychop posted:

I would assume most infantry would have difficulty punching a jet.

Have you ever played Civilizations?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TKIY posted:

Movement info is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/27/new-warhammer-40000-movement/

If you’re in combat at the start of your turn, you can Fall Back by moving away from the enemy. You’ll lose the ability to advance, shoot or charge that turn, and crucially, enemies will be able to shoot at you! This does, however, open up a vast range of tactical options for armies like the Astra Militarum, who will now be able to effectively deploy in firing lines, with each row falling back from any assaults in good order (if they survived) while the unit behind them fires at the attackers. It goes both ways though – if you have a dedicated assault unit that specializes in killing infantry (like Warp Talons) your opponent will find it much harder to pin them down in combat with heavily armoured units for the entire game.

I like the sound of this on paper

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a way to check out the Shadow War rules? It looks like the rulebook is on preorder?

The game sold out super fast because GW doesn't understand their own market base, so the rulebook is currently on pre-order and they're getting it out as quick as they can (luckily its like, next week)

There's scans online but it really is Necromunda in most regards.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 27, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megaspam posted:

A lot of cavalry units in AOS have this rule:

I can see something similar being given to fast units like bikes and jump packs if 2d6" charge stays.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

But 30k requires the most expensive books.
No it doesn't. You only need the red books which are actually cheaper than the current batch of codexes.

The big, fancy black books are mainly just for fluff and specific missions. There are also some neat campaign systems floating around too. The actual rules content is separated out into the red books and typically updated. That said, the current red books are missing the content out of books VI and VII. I'm not expecting to see new red books until FW's 8th edition update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just put out a new Camhammer video today, this time about Shadow War: Armageddon and why I think it's taking the ham world by storm:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csveVc3gPI[/youtube]

S.J. posted:

I just honestly hate this so much :smith: I mean it's neat for options but it just rubs the fluff bunny snowflake in me the wrong way

Yeah, I get you. The fluff's changed a little and you can always swing "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" but even just saying Eldar and Dark Eldar can be buddies is kinda dissonant.

This dude owns owns owns

Please, it's spelled A E S T H E T I C and followed up by pictures of 90s screensavers and palm trees.

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: Talking with ANAmal.net about this, I also hope that challenges are either gone, or get an overhaul. It just feels like too much of a WHF mechanic to me, and never sat right with me that armies like Tau/Necrons/AdMech could get challenged and then have to skulk if they decline. Like OK, Orks and Chaos and Marines having combat pride or whatever, sure. But why wouldn't a Tau sergeant just go "no, that's dumb" and keep fighting normally?

In AoS, wounds are distributed by the unit's owner, there are no challenges, and reliably my last dude in every unit has been the leader character. I imagine it'll be the same way.

• Locked thread