Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My favorite dudes on a map game is Pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

al-azad posted:

I wish board games came in little boxes! have you seen Citadels 2e? Same game, double size box.

Here you go.

https://oinkgms.com/en/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

My favorite dudes on a map game is Marco Polo

Those are doods, not dudes.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

As much as I think Michael Barnes is a tool, this article is a pretty good discussion of DOAM. I think the big distinction within the genre/family/whatever you want to call it is that until recently it was pretty much just terrible dice chuckers played by anti-intellectual self described Ameritrash gamers like the dumbasses at the dice tower. Then modern game design invaded the genre and made some good games.

I agree with al-azad that simulation, or at least the pretense of it, is generally what separates DOAM games from Wargames. That said I view the COIN series as wargames with heavy DOAM characteristics, especially Falling Sky which can have Risk-like murderballs rolling around the map.

It's better to think of these sorts of things as descriptive characteristics rather than prescriptive classifications. DOAM has characteristics but it's also become a characteristic that can be in other games. I'd be hard pressed to say that Pericles is a DOAM game due to its debate focus but the map play definitely has DOAM characteristics.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I mean, even the term Dudes on a Map suggests a certain disdain for any kind of complex thought in both design or gameplay.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cenotaph posted:

It's better to think of these sorts of things as descriptive characteristics rather than prescriptive classifications.
Congratulations, you're officially smarter than half of this thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PMush Perfect posted:

Congratulations, you're officially smarter than half of this thread.

We prefer our prescriptive classifications to be about goons we disagree with, thank you very much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
OK a little contest for you guys. Go to BGG and browse Games. See how many pages you can get through before not recognizing any games on that page. I got to page 30.

Start here https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini posted:

OK a little contest for you guys. Go to BGG and browse Games. See how many pages you can get through before not recognizing any games on that page. I got to page 30.

I am just getting back into boardgames after being out of the loop for like, 4 years, and it is remarkable how few of these I would have recognized two months ago.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I made it to page 44, propelled mostly by wargames. On my last page was "The Game of Y," and it seemed very apt.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lorini posted:

Go Cuckcoo! looks like a neat little dexterity game and has been on my wishlist for a while so I made it past 30. 31 has Forged in Steel which looks like an interesting, chaotic, WP game. 32 has Rolling Stock which is really highly related by my Geekbuddies and is on my wishlist (its an 18xx like card game). 33 has Last Chance for Victory which is supposed to be one of the better games in the Line of Battle series -- that was the only one on 33 I knew though. 34 has The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches, which most wargamers will know. 35 has Storm Over Dien Bien Phu which I'm really thinking about buying, it's a neat little wargame about the First Indochina War's most important battle. It seems like wargames are going to be the only I know going forward here. Although 36 has King Chocolate which was mentioned in that BGG thread as a newer Euro with older Knizia like interactions. 37 has Victory Roads, again a game that many wargamers will know. 38 has a really cool looking Nate Hayden game called The Mushroom Eaters (check out that loving board). It's too bad that his games are so hard to get a hold of. I own Res Publica (Knizia shop) which is on 39. Rising Sun is on page 40 or else I would have been screwed. Ultimate Werewolf on 41...but I'm done on 42.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lorini posted:

I misread this as "Cannot recognize ALL the games on a page" and I was like, Holy poo poo how do you guys know of all of these loving games.

Suffice it to say, that makes the game way harder because there is tons of dull random rear end crap.

(Okay, Taluva looks kinda neat.)

As far as doing it the real way, I got to 79. Yeah, so I might slightly watch/listen to a shitload lot of boardgame content, so I survived a lot of pages with random poo poo games no one cares about like Theomachy: The Ancients.

First off, holy poo poo, page 29 is a sneaky murderer's row. If it wasn't for Gloria Mundi I am pretty sure I haven't heard of anything else on here. Secondly, thank god I played lots of poo poo games in the early 2000s so poo poo like Grave Robbers From Outer Space can save me from losing on 55 and Scurvy Musketeers on 74 and Cannibal Pygmies on 77. The B-Movie games were funny, but they are also quite crap. Third, Rummy feels kinda like cheating, but I have heard of it on 56. Then again, I have heard of and played Lamarckian Poker from page 64. There were some others like that but I usually kept looking for a better match, and almost always found one. For this reason, I tried not to count expansions if I only knew about the main game. In other news, Kamasutra is on page 65, which is not... ahem, nice. What is nice, is that I survived Page 69 because of loving Heartthrob which I admit hadn't remembered the name of, but I knew it was that game from way back in the day. I looked at the page and I still remember that loving commercial. Good god, it must have literally been playing during Darkwing Duck or something. And then, near the end, Peak Oil is a kickstarter that might even still be running, so that saved me on 75 even though it hasn't come out yet.

That was fun.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

cenotaph posted:

It's better to think of these sorts of things as descriptive characteristics rather than prescriptive classifications. DOAM has characteristics but it's also become a characteristic that can be in other games. I'd be hard pressed to say that Pericles is a DOAM game due to its debate focus but the map play definitely has DOAM characteristics.

Same goes for trying to define games in general. It's best to talk about "elements that are considered game-y" rather than "the elements that are required to define a game". Any attempt to do the latter just turns into a shitshow.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lorini posted:

I drew a blank on page 54. Being old and having liked games since I was little was handy for the first time ever. It was fun when a blast from the past like Stop Thief! or Broadsides & Boarding Parties was the one on the page that let me keep going.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Magnetic North posted:

Taluva is actually awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Magnetic North posted:

Taluva's light but pretty good, yeah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taluva is wonderful and I wish I bought it a decade earlier.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Magnetic North posted:

What is nice, is that I survived Page 69 because of loving Heartthrob which I admit hadn't remembered the name of, but I knew it was that game from way back in the day.

That was fun.

69 is what finally got me. I was bummed to not reach Sirocco, since I had fond memories of it as a kid. Apparently it was poo poo according to BGG.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I've been playing a 2p game of FCM almost every single day, some days I've played two or three. I think I'm really starting to grasp it and know what you are "supposed to do" in a number of situations. I still have chronic misplays almost every single game though, so until I clean those up I'll keep losing!!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Showed up to a new game night, went five minutes before I spilled my beer all over the table and Codenames. Glad I got the chance to be "that guy"

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Got to page 46 before I didn't recognize any of the games. That's a lotta board games.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Played Yokohama tonight for the first time. As a huge fan of Istanbul, I can absolutely see this giving it a run for its money. drat it was a neat game. We only played with two, and I could see it being a bit different with more people given the additional characters on the (albeit larger) map blocking spaces, but overall it felt really tightly designed with some strong opportunity to strategize. Hopefully will play with 4 tomorrow!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just bought a metric poo poo ton of Descent 2.0 to give it another try as an app driven game. Should hopefully hold my dungeoncrawling over till Gloomhaven gets here. It's really daunting how much stuff there is though, no clue how I'll sort it.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

djfooboo posted:

I just bought a metric poo poo ton of Descent 2.0 to give it another try as an app driven game. Should hopefully hold my dungeoncrawling over till Gloomhaven gets here. It's really daunting how much stuff there is though, no clue how I'll sort it.

I sorted the tiles in batches in a file holder and the minis by size and theme in the various expansion boxes (small undeadish box 1, etc).

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Any reports on The Imperial Post solo scenario for The Colonists ?

Thinking about trying it this weekend.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
good talk about dudes on board but where are my dudettes on board games

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kashuno posted:

Kemet has dudettes on a map.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Dudes can be (and are) regularly women. The first time the word appeared in print, it was used of a woman.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lordsummerisle posted:

Any reports on The Imperial Post solo scenario for The Colonists ?

Thinking about trying it this weekend.

I played two Eras of it and called it since I knew I would fail the 3rd Era goals. It's tough. By the end of Era III you're supposed to have both Boardinghouses at least built, which requires 2 platinum! I was not prepared for that, which is why I called it. The centralized market is pretty cool, I fudged my tile placement and should've placed the Diplomat Place farther out, since that's the only other location you're able to warp to from Era II+. Definitely want to try it again, possibly next week.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

I played two Eras of it and called it since I knew I would fail the 3rd Era goals. It's tough. By the end of Era III you're supposed to have both Boardinghouses at least built, which requires 2 platinum! I was not prepared for that, which is why I called it. The centralized market is pretty cool, I fudged my tile placement and should've placed the Diplomat Place farther out, since that's the only other location you're able to warp to from Era II+. Definitely want to try it again, possibly next week.

Sounds great. But maybe I should play a 4 era solo vanilla before trying it? I have never done a full playthrough.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lordsummerisle posted:

Sounds great. But maybe I should play a 4 era solo vanilla before trying it? I have never done a full playthrough.

Ooh yeah that might be a good idea. I've played 2 full playthroughs so far and I'm still a little rocky on the farmer->citizen->merchant upgrades.

Alternatively you could just scope out the Places and building resources needed for the different goals so you have a clear picture of what needs to be done, when. I kind of whiffed it with that and forgot that a Boardinghouse takes one platinum to construct, and that's what reeeeeaaaaaally boned me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

Start by constructing your final era 4 colony free hand, then total up all the resources needed to construct all the buildings and take it apart. Take these resources and put them in a pile next to the board. Your goal is to get every resource in that pile.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

djfooboo posted:

I don't think you're going to regret it. I know Gloomhaven is the shiniest new toy and I'm quite fond of it myself, but I think the descent app goes unrecognized in turning a frankly lovely game into something astounding. The way it handles exploration and AI is unsurpassed, and the only reason it doesn't get more attention is that it's a patch to a game a lot of folks gave up on long ago instead of something new.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I don't think you're going to regret it. I know Gloomhaven is the shiniest new toy and I'm quite fond of it myself, but I think the descent app goes unrecognized in turning a frankly lovely game into something astounding. The way it handles exploration and AI is unsurpassed, and the only reason it doesn't get more attention is that it's a patch to a game a lot of folks gave up on long ago instead of something new.

Yeah the app is pretty good. I do want more long campaigns setup for it though, as it stands there's still a lacking of a lot of content

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, how's the Descent app with handling expansions and which give you the best amount of content with the app?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Caedar posted:

Same goes for trying to define games in general. It's best to talk about "elements that are considered game-y" rather than "the elements that are required to define a game". Any attempt to do the latter just turns into a shitshow.

There's definitely got to be a limit to this, when people start describing Carcassonne as "worker placement", Smash Up as "deckbuilding" or Descent 2.0 as "a role playing game".

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Carcassonne is land placement obviously, like Catan

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Carcassonne has dudes on a map.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Recently got the chance to play the classic 'dildo on a map' game El Grande, and I thought it was fantastic as well, needs some more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Recently got the chance to play the classic 'dildo on a map' game El Grande, and I thought it was fantastic as well, needs some more love.

To each their own but my favorite dildo on a map game is five tribes.