Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Quoting for a new page:

Aleth posted:

Alright you slackers, listen up! Given the recent whining about not being able to knock down a weak-arsed uppity bot, nonentity's prize donation and Medullah's desire to see you all sweat for a change we've decided that for the next contest you need to put in some EFFORT.

PARSING AND YOU

First up: go download Starparse.
Second: run it.
Third: go hit the Operations training dummy on the Ziost Shadow in the Imperial Fleet, the Pub one on Gav Daragon or any you may have bought for your own ship.
Fourth: post your logs for judgement, complete with character name showing so we know who to send any prizes to.

***ADDENDUM: you will be allowed a total of TWO entries, the first for parsing against the training dummy, the second for parsing a live fire exercise (FP, Op or what-have-you).***

BUT I AM A WEAK BABBY!

Fortunately for you the actual results of the parse don't matter and winners will be drawn randomly from all entrants. Still, man up and hit harder!

BUT I WANNA DRESS UP!

Good for you! Post screenshots of you working out in your best gym gear and there may be a bonus in it for you. Or not. But maybe.

PRIZES

Courtesy of nonentity:
Plus whatever else is in the vault.

DEADLINE

Currently looking like the end of the month, may change depending on how well you all seem to be progressing with your training.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 26, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rorrschach posted:

You really are scum aren't you.

Never claim to be otherwise!

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I'll submit a damage run on my healer just to get a feel for if I need to shoot in a pinch, let me just buy groceries for my home

Do I get a second entry if I parse a separate heal through a vet fp because daddy needs goodies

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HebrewMagic posted:

I'll submit a damage run on my healer just to get a feel for if I need to shoot in a pinch, let me just buy groceries for my home

Do I get a second entry if I parse a separate heal through a vet fp because daddy needs goodies

Sure, as long as it looks like you're trying. Goal again is to show participation and effort for a prize!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Multiple entries? You know how this is going to end, Mr I-have-a-billion-alts.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Aleth posted:

Multiple entries? You know how this is going to end, Mr I-have-a-billion-alts.

Joke's on you, I'm submitting from the same character.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Just to clarify the almighty Medullah will award you with 2 credited entries for 1) working out on the training dummy and 2) conducting a live fire exercise (i.e. parse your Vet FP, Op or whatever). Trying to run all your alts against the training dummy will not award multiple entries, folks!

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Here's my entry for the DPS fuckfest contest.

I'm a doctor, not a Boss killer.

I'll wrangle my stones and get some livefire training for my healing Regimen later.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Will submit a couple of Imp DPS and a Pub tank parse, but will be my usual slipping it under the professor's door effort as I am heading out of town tomorrow.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'm always for an op, but you guys play at the weirdest times. But I wont lie that Goon ops and Goons in general is part of why I keep coming back to TOR

I'll run a Training Dummy parse over the weekend, if I crack 4k I'll be very happy since the gear is all 220 (i.e. HM drops from over a year ago).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
at last, it's mine :colbert: :frogagga:

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Im not jealous at all.

Whats the best way to earn cartel certificates these days?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moreau posted:

Im not jealous at all.

Whats the best way to earn cartel certificates these days?

Only two ways -

Buy ancient packs that people put up on the GTN, usually 150 million+

Play the slot machine (there's one on the ship) which has a 0.05% chance of dropping one.

Whatever you're looking to get with certificates is going to be much cheaper just buying off the GTN

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So FYI for anyone that wants to take their parse "seriously" - the "best" way to parse is to buy an Operations dummy for your ship, along with the ship repair droid. You can then set the dummy to different amounts of health, as well as putting an armor debuff on him (which we'd assume is on any ops boss since all tanks can do it). That allows you to see how long it takes you to "kill" the dummy, as well as see what your DPS is when you take < 30% health into account (many classes have bonuses to this).

Also - just to clarify what Aleth says, we're not going hog wild with contest entries, we'll allow 2 max entries -

1 Training Dummy Parse
1 Flashpoint Boss/Operation Boss Parse.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Only two ways -

Buy ancient packs that people put up on the GTN, usually 150 million+

Play the slot machine (there's one on the ship) which has a 0.05% chance of dropping one.

Whatever you're looking to get with certificates is going to be much cheaper just buying off the GTN

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times give Certs a chance to drop in Command Crates in place of the rep item.

Or finally fix the drat Stronghold Defender saber so I can purchase it in Collections. :argh:

Edit: Or even better get rid of Certs all together as an obsolete currency and use Command Tokens instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Or finally fix the drat Stronghold Defender saber so I can purchase it in Collections. :argh:

This isn't broken, actually. The Stronghold Defender weapons got added to Gold Weapon Packs as a rare drop. All of the certificate items are technically different from the cartel versions, and can't be unlocked in collections - so unless you got the saber from a pack, you won't be able to unlock it.

Now, pre 4.0 you'd occasionally get a nice CSR that would do it for you if you asked nice (how I unlocked the music therapy probe), but they made a statement on the forums that they would no longer be doing that after 4.0. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine bugged and unlocked in collections.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah mine did too - I THINK if you had it equipped when the new version was added it gave you the new version that could be unlocked. I wasn't going to complain. :)

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'll complain for you so they fix it if you want.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

This isn't broken, actually. The Stronghold Defender weapons got added to Gold Weapon Packs as a rare drop. All of the certificate items are technically different from the cartel versions, and can't be unlocked in collections - so unless you got the saber from a pack, you won't be able to unlock it.

Now, pre 4.0 you'd occasionally get a nice CSR that would do it for you if you asked nice (how I unlocked the music therapy probe), but they made a statement on the forums that they would no longer be doing that after 4.0. :(

I do have the non-cert version...paid 100 million credits for it since they're so freaking rare, you're lucky if one is even listed much less at a reasonable price. Easily the best looking lightsaber in the game for Sith, both my Jugg and Mara have cert-versions with lightning tunings.

The credit/up arrow button is there so the game at least acknowledges that I own it but clicking on it does nothing. It's doubly annoying because it's the only weapon I don't have unlocked. I send a bug report in once a day so they're certainly aware of it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'd open an actual ticket then, they should take care of you. I've had that happen a few times.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

I do have the non-cert version...paid 100 million credits for it since they're so freaking rare, you're lucky if one is even listed much less at a reasonable price. Easily the best looking lightsaber in the game for Sith, both my Jugg and Mara have cert-versions with lightning tunings.

The credit/up arrow button is there so the game at least acknowledges that I own it but clicking on it does nothing. It's doubly annoying because it's the only weapon I don't have unlocked. I send a bug report in once a day so they're certainly aware of it.

Huh.

A bug.

Weird.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Easily the best looking lightsaber in the game for Sith, both my Jugg and Mara have cert-versions with lightning tunings.

That's a funny way to say Valor, the Esstran Exports rep saber that looks like Vader's saber made out of auto parts.

Also:

Someone spoiled killing Quinn on Iokath for me on YouTube. Is it true?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

That's a funny way to say Valor, the Esstran Exports rep saber that looks like Vader's saber made out of auto parts.

Also:

Someone spoiled killing Quinn on Iokath for me on YouTube. Is it true?

If you must know yep, you can kill him, but sadly only as a Sith Warrior

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Medullah posted:

If you must know yep, you can kill him, but sadly only as a Sith Warrior

Holy crap, thank you for this. The inspiration I needed to push through the storyline one more time.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
^ I was almost not going to do it since you can get both him and Dorne as companions that way, but he had such a smug look on his face after picking the other choice that I had to hit esc and make the right decision.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I want to be able to yell "YOUR CARBONITE TOMB AWAITS!" at people in PVP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man even though they raised bolster, once you're geared in 246/248 PVP is a beast. I was defending a node in civil war, and a Marauder started running towards me. Shouted that I might need help but not yet... Backstab from stealth, Volatile Substance, Veiled Strike, crippling strike, few lacerates and backstab coming off cooldown and "Never mind". I was using the Jarring Strike utility so the first few GCDs be was on the ground.

Definitely not used to easily killing people 1 on 1. I feel bad for PvP only players. :(

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I feel bad for PvP only players. :(

Don't feel sorry for me I'm working on my fourth CXP 300 char. :) I've got no sympathy for my PVP bretheren...if you can't stand the MMO aspects of a MMO go play a moba or FPS. "He had better gear" is what chumps tell themselves.

If you're beating someone that badly there's more than a gear difference. First a non-Merc, non-stealth shouldn't be going after an occupied node solo. Second either he was bad about his DCD usage or was dumb enough to 1-on-1 with them on CD.

I quite enjoy GC now that it's recieved adjustments. Solo or grouped, PvE or PvP do whatever and it made stuff like daily areas and FP's relevant again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, and now that my Operative is Tier 4 she's getting mods and enhancements for my alts. It's nice that the blue pieces have optimal enhancements, crappy that they're A mods

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Running log for THIS EASY CONTEST YOU SHOULD ALL BE ENTERING FOR SWEET LOOT.

Coldforge AKA Dashkin

Sun Wu Kampf AKA SaberoFred (also formerly Troika)

HebrewMagic AKA Sakarian

Medullah's right, you guys need to put some :effort: in but he also wants me to give you guys until at least 8th May for this now.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 28, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Troika, where did you get the name Saber of Fred from? Is it some inside joke I'm missing? Just curious.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I went google hunting for Fred Flintstone with a lightsaber but found this instead

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still don't understand why PVP has gear advantages at all. I feel like someone who invested the 200 hours or whatever of PVP grinding necessary to get the BiS gear doesn't really need any additional advantages over less experienced players...if anything, it makes a way less fun experience for both players. If you paid me to make PVP in an MMO, which I recognize nobody in their right mind would, my philosophy would be that everyone should be on an equal footing, stat-wise, forever, and only player skill and teamwork should matter. Better players shouldn't be rewarded with gear that gives them an even bigger advantage over people who have less experience.

If you want to make a loot treadmill, make it either cosmetic, or create a system where different gear sets give you different, but not necessarily better, skills to use. I mean, lol at balancing that second idea, but on paper it makes sense at least

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Troika, where did you get the name Saber of Fred from? Is it some inside joke I'm missing? Just curious.

It's saber of red and it's a silly anime thing that someone suggested. I wasn't originally planning to use this char as a main, or I'd have named it something better :downs:

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I switched to concealment for this but I'm in all healer gear since that's all I have. Also I used the bolsterizer I dunno if that's cheating.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am down for raiding this Sunday. Can't do KP since I'm on lockout for the final boss. Would prefer not to do EV.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Humiliations galore!

So this is with a lvl 65 Lightning Sorceror, kitted out in 220 HM gear from-4.0. Not very good post-5.0 - but I'd feel comfortable taking him into most SM Ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Turbl posted:

I switched to concealment for this but I'm in all healer gear since that's all I have. Also I used the bolsterizer I dunno if that's cheating.

That's a pretty drat good parse (though realistically healer and DPS gear isn't that different). Nice!

• Locked thread