Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Palpek posted:

Also this is as good of a place as any to ask this - what SA threads do you guys follow nowadays? It can be any subforum, I'm just in need of some cool threads.

There's Critterquest in which goons take pics of animals to share their photographs or just get an ID on what they're seeing. Not as active as it was a few years ago but still good and the OP takes mindblowing pictures of birds and poo poo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like these cover arts for persona 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MinibarMatchman posted:

How is the Prey demo? I heard the music cues can be loud and the input delay is wonky but that it's better in the full release.

The only feedback I've read is a NeoGAF thread of endless hyperbole and people who loving suck at shooting things so I'd like a non-moronic take

Seems to be pretty much just the Deus Ex reboot only horror-y to me, I was pretty eh on it to be honest.
It uses its 'enemies can look like anything' gimmick in the most obvious way possible, it could have been a cool and creepy game of cat & mouse but instead they​ just all jump at you if you get too close and the shooting is pretty floaty. Oh and the first 'play the game how you want bit' (which it popped up a tutorial to tell you about) was pretty lol, since you were 100 times more likely to just find the keycard that opened the door before the alternate route.
It's not awful but it's definitely an on sale game for me, unless I hear it improves quickly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

I like these cover arts for persona 2

you vs the guy she tells you not to worry about

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Is there any armor loadout in Horizon that does not look really silly?

No, which is why I've used the upgraded original outfit for the entire game. I love all the goofy poo poo on everyone else, but for Aloy the default is best aesthetics.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Well a bunch of Capcom stuff under-performed over the last year including Dead Rising 4 turning out to be a game pretty much nobody wanted.

What should they bring back now, a Dino Crisis reboot in time for the next Jurassic World movie?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did dead rising 3 sell that well? i'm not surprised about dr4 considering the buzz for that game was, uh, nonexistent

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Time for Capcom to bring back Dark Void but make it good

Alternately, just bring back Maximo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My friend and I are insane people and actually played through the entirety of Dead Rising 2 coop. There's at least some people out there who wanted a new Dead Rising game, but DR4 is not that. Every time Capcom moves farther to "westernize" their series it ends up turning to complete poo poo so I don't know why they keep doing it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

My friend and I are insane people and actually played through the entirety of Dead Rising 2 coop. There's at least some people out there who wanted a new Dead Rising game, but DR4 is not that. Every time Capcom moves farther to "westernize" their series it ends up turning to complete poo poo so I don't know why they keep doing it.

Yeah DR4 totally bummed me out and I didn't buy it. Same with the latest Devil May Cry

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

Time for Capcom to bring back Dark Void but make it good

Alternately, just bring back Maximo

A new Maximo game but you need to pay real-life money in order to save your game. It wouldn't even be a free-to-play game that's just how the saving mechanic would work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Palpek posted:

Also this is as good of a place as any to ask this - what SA threads do you guys follow nowadays? It can be any subforum, I'm just in need of some cool threads.
self-pimpin': the manga sampler thread of good series to try for folks new to manga, complete with summaries and links for where to read/buy :smaug:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568801

the D&D trump thread is fun so long as you skim it for links and avoid the absurdly verbose discussions that sometimes crop up about the election or whatever, but it's definitely got its moments, also occasional meltdowns which are fun
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797481

the lego thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496

the gbs youtube thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770254

the bootleg/knockoff thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780997

hamster thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229729

the critterquest thread, where people take photos of wild animals/critters they see and post the photos in the thread, dominated by a few professional photographers
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356

megaman music vs sonic music
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815864

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well a bunch of Capcom stuff under-performed over the last year including Dead Rising 4 turning out to be a game pretty much nobody wanted.

What should they bring back now,

Good game design.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i'll be perfectly ok with it if this just results in capcom putting dead rising to rest for a long while cause the first two games are enough for me and the franchise has gotten pretty messy ever since 2

so now they can let hideaki itsuno out of the video game dungeons and let him release devil may cry 5

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mostly just follow the the gen chat threads im CineD, TVIV, and Games.

It's a pretty good echo chamber.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What should they bring back now, a Dino Crisis reboot in time for the next Jurassic World movie?

I'm sure the continuing beta of Street Fighter Vee will keep them in the black.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

Space nerd thread

YOSPOS stupid silicon valley poo poo thread

In addition to others already listed

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

To be fair audio balancing is one of the harder parts of game design because you have to consider all like 8 different methods people have available of listening to your game's sound. And then stuff like how many speakers they have, which speakers would be playing what sounds in that case, etc.

Dead Space 3 is probably the contender for worst audio balancing in a game I've played, it is just so comically bad. The music volume levels are all over the place, the voices are way too quiet, the guns sound muffled even at the highest sound effects volume, and enemy sounds that come from behind you actually sound like they are in front of you because the positional audio is just kinda busted.

That's fair, but all I want is to be able to hear characters talk. The trend towards basing the audio of a character to be coming from that character but having the volume drop dramatically just based on you turning slighlty away from them is garbage. Iirc Witcher 3 is really good about this, they allow characters to be unrealistic in the sense that you can actually hear them from 20 feet away because they realize hearing characters is important.

The worst recent example is Mass Effect Andromeda. They give you a jetpack for movement but apparently expect you to stand near allies to hear them even though you're wearing helmets with comms devices.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nasgate posted:

That's fair, but all I want is to be able to hear characters talk. The trend towards basing the audio of a character to be coming from that character but having the volume drop dramatically just based on you turning slighlty away from them is garbage. Iirc Witcher 3 is really good about this, they allow characters to be unrealistic in the sense that you can actually hear them from 20 feet away because they realize hearing characters is important.

Destiny handles this smartly- if you're standing near your sidekick, you hear his voice coming from his position in the world, but if you're far away, you hear it as though it's coming over a transmission, complete with different directionality and audio processing. And if you walk around while he's talking, it smoothly transitions from one to the other.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

haveblue posted:

Destiny handles this smartly- if you're standing near your sidekick, you hear his voice coming from his position in the world, but if you're far away, you hear it as though it's coming over a transmission, complete with different directionality and audio processing. And if you walk around while he's talking, it smoothly transitions from one to the other.

Overwatch does the exact same thing. Overwatch just has immensely good sound design across the board.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Overwatch does the exact same thing. Overwatch just has immensely good sound design across the board.

The sound in OW is second to none. Every weapon and ability sounds great. Also the audio cues are on point. They're wildly helpful. I don't think I've played any game in which you can learn so much of what's going on around you through audio as you can in OW.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

The sound in OW is second to none. Every weapon and ability sounds great. Also the audio cues are on point. They're wildly helpful. I don't think I've played any game in which you can learn so much of what's going on around you through audio as you can in OW.

Yeah, even down to every character having unique footstep sound/volumes is all thought out. They went deep.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They should bring back Hideki Kamiya for work, preferably for DMC5

They should also give Suda51 a ring and let him port a deluxe version of Killer7 to the Switch

and finally, petition undead genius Masahiro Sakurai to make an all-Street Fighter version of Smash Bros using the same template they had with Ryu

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they don't need to bring back hideki kamiya. he doesn't want to work on devil may cry, or any sequels to games he's already directed, and he's even stated in the past that he thinks itsuno is the perfect guy to keep directing the games. let him keep throwing poo poo together at platinum, preferably without what he throws together being an awkward mess that gets canned again

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 27, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

How is the Prey demo? I heard the music cues can be loud and the input delay is wonky but that it's better in the full release.

The only feedback I've read is a NeoGAF thread of endless hyperbole and people who loving suck at shooting things so I'd like a non-moronic take

Man, don't tell me it has the same issue as the console versions of Dishonored 2 which have some atrocious aiming/look delay they never patched.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Colonel posted:

they don't need to bring back hideki kamiya. he doesn't want to work on devil may cry, or any sequels to games he's already directed, and he's even stated in the past that he thinks itsuno is the perfect guy to keep directing the games. let him keep throwing poo poo together at platinum, preferably without what he throws together being an awkward mess that gets canned again
A while back Kamiya said he's open to working with Capcom again... as long as it's not on the Resident Evil 2 remake. He never got the chance to play that game "for the first time" since he headed it up, and he's not missing out on this chance!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, even down to every character having unique footstep sound/volumes is all thought out. They went deep.

Overwatch does a neat trick with audio volume where enemy sounds are always louder than those made by people on your team, so it's easier to tell when there's an enemy nearby over the sounds of shooting/voice lines/whatever.

edit: I also think it's cool that each character has two voice lines for their ultimate ability, one that they say when they're on your team and then the one they say on the other team. The latter coincides with the one you hear when you use it, so you instinctively know when you're in trouble. (i.e. "Step right up" from teammate McCrees and Le High Noon Meme from yourself/enemies)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Overwatch does a neat trick with audio volume where enemy sounds are always louder than those made by people on your team, so it's easier to tell when there's an enemy nearby over the sounds of shooting/voice lines/whatever.

And enemy volume is proportional to their "fire" bar, I think. So enemies on a killstreak are easier to be aware of. At least, that's what I heard a long time ago. I haven't played OW since Halloween. I'm sad I'm gonna miss the current Uprise event or whatever it's called.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wildtortilla posted:

That Dolby Atmos option for headphones actually works and is good!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Palpek posted:

I mostly do GBS/animal stuff/games/Cspam and some D&D and books.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

yeah. DR4 was sorta fun in a loving about sorta way(i never cared for the timer or the save system in the old ones.) but it had no depth to it and was kinda just eh.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

What is your favorite side character in the Crash Bandicoot franchise, this also includes the best kart racer of the 90s Crash Team Racing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

haveblue posted:

So does goon favorite Borderlands

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ostentatious posted:

What is your favorite side character in the Crash Bandicoot franchise, this also includes the best kart racer of the 90s Crash Team Racing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snak posted:

And enemy volume is proportional to their "fire" bar, I think. So enemies on a killstreak are easier to be aware of. At least, that's what I heard a long time ago. I haven't played OW since Halloween. I'm sad I'm gonna miss the current Uprise event or whatever it's called.

i think that's a myth someone extrapolated out of the loading screen tooltip "your most dangerous enemies will have the loudest footsteps". it really just meant that reaper has stompier footsteps than, say, mercy

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't think about this till you said it and that unfortunately the thing about great sound design, it's most noticeable when it's bad,

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Whenever people talk about shows and movies having dialogue that is whisper-quiet and music that is blaring loud I just assume their sound settings are all goofed up because I use headphones for everythibg and I have never had that problem.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Whenever people talk about shows and movies having dialogue that is whisper-quiet and music that is blaring loud I just assume their sound settings are all goofed up because I use headphones for everythibg and I have never had that problem.

Could just be my garbage speakers (they are the TV speakers)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

no joke i seen this today

you, too, can win your own kirby glass. but it's a lottery prize so good loving luck

name your loving price

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

i think that's a myth someone extrapolated out of the loading screen tooltip "your most dangerous enemies will have the loudest footsteps". it really just meant that reaper has stompier footsteps than, say, mercy

Yeah, people you don't want to round a corner and find (McCree, Hog, etc.) are crazy loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think Tracer has one of the loudest footsteps in the game, all the flankers do

• Locked thread