Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DigitalMocking posted:

well raise my rent.

I need to clarify that rule to my son, he's got a bunch of cards that give mana when you attack with them out of Kaladesh and I told him about mana burn.

Energy isn't mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

I mean Jace uptick was definitely unpleasant but I think not that different than any slow control deck win con. Being drownyarded out or towered out is all pretty much the same, the format had fetchlands fateseal wasn't even a real lock.

People just hated the card because when your deck cost 80 bucks and a JTMS was 100 it felt unfair. It's one of the most popular cards in other format with a ton of people begging for it to be unbanned, right or wrong.

Emrakul also wasn't slow torture, it was actually very quick, it's just being mindslavered is the actual ultimate feel bad in magic that most competitive players will scoop rather than go through it unless their deck is designed to be immune lack Lantern control or something similar. It's an insanely dumb ability to put on a to cast trigger on a card that's pushed to see a lot of play.

Let's not forget Rishadan Port for a long run of inducing frustarted semi-helplessness in opponents before you get around to killing them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

So are we supposed to recognize the weird knobbly staff that Elder Dragon God Pharaoh Legend Bolas is stealing in the art of Dispossess?

This horrible card might actually be standard playable now...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Mana burn was a gotcha mechanic that really didn't add anything to the game. The only design space was used with that one card that gave you mana during each upkeep.

Braid of Fire is still a cool design. The design actually ruined by the death of mana burn is Spectral Searchlight, but the card is still fine.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

Let's not forget Rishadan Port for a long run of inducing frustarted semi-helplessness in opponents before you get around to killing them.

I always think of opposition as the ultimate no fun torture card but magic has had plenty of them. Some of them like Blood Moon are actually fine and help balance a format. I think Modern will always be a better format than Legacy as long as Wasteland is still a card, and a huge number of games just don't happen due to it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Marketing New Brain posted:

I always think of opposition as the ultimate no fun torture card but magic has had plenty of them. Some of them like Blood Moon are actually fine and help balance a format. I think Modern will always be a better format than Legacy as long as Wasteland is still a card, and a huge number of games just don't happen due to it.

I don't find that to be the case and that is coming from someone who loves playing Wasteland/Stifle decks in legacy. You don't waste people out of games very often.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
There's a new magic story out from a day or so ago.

Basic rundown:

Nissa is wandering though Amonkhet checking how nice everything is as long as you don't check out how awfully hosed up the leylines and energy of the plane is. She wanders into Kefnet's temple and stumbles into the Trial! Of! Knowledge! trying to find answers about how Bolas hosed things up. Spoiler alert: It nearly loving kills her. It's filled with endless nightmare illusions, which she defeats by closing her eyes and telling them to gently caress off under her breath.

She finds herself in another room of illusions that tell the truth now, and she sees an allegory for how Bolas jacked up the plane and killed three gods leaving "just three dark rents in the fabric of the sky. Three dark holes, possessed of an energy and fury all their own, pulsing to a rhythm malevolent." So, maybe expect to see some evil corpse gods in Hour of Devastation. She also sees that Nicol Bolas' travels have left a literal trail of darkness behind him through the planes. Maybe. It's all in allegory, so who loving knows.

Anyway, she gets trapped in a revelation loop and an angel that "reminds her of Emrakul" (wink wink) tells her to stop being a pawn or a queen, and instead be a player. Then Kefnet jumps in out of nowhere, pissed that someone is interfering with his Trail. He gets good and ready to kill Nissa, until she uses leyline magic to open up Amonkhet's debug menu and sets Kefnet's murdervalue to false. Then he fucks off, saying she passed the trial, and she fucks off feeling pretty jazzed that she's not a complete punk anymore.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
At this point more non-games probably happen to turn 1 blood moons, chalices, or combos than wasteland

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Those 3 "holes" and the angel that kinda looks like Emmy are going to be the 3 titans as depicted by those statues on that one card aren't they

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

At this point more non-games probably happen to turn 1 blood moons, chalices, or combos than wasteland

Yeah. Blood Moon is completely obnoxious and much more of a feel bad in legacy than Wasteland.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AceClown posted:

Those 3 "holes" and the angel that kinda looks like Emmy are going to be the 3 titans as depicted by those statues on that one card aren't they

Last week they basically said that there are 3 missing Gods on amonkhet so it's probably those

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. Blood Moon is completely obnoxious and much more of a feel bad in legacy than Wasteland.

If you want to run 3-4 colour fetch bullshit be prepared to pay the price of progress

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Elyv posted:

Last week they basically said that there are 3 missing Gods on amonkhet so it's probably those

Yeah these ones

No idea how they will bring them back or tie all that up but I would not for one second be surprised if WotC did a stupid thing and brought eldrazi in to Hour

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

People just sort of have accepted getting wasted out of games it doesn't make for a good format and Blood Moon isn't anywhere near as prevalent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

This horrible card might actually be standard playable now...

That effect is not playable.

AceClown posted:

Yeah these ones
No idea how they will bring them back or tie all that up but I would not for one second be surprised if WotC did a stupid thing and brought eldrazi in to Hour

Emrakul is still alive, but I'm guessing when they bring her back they'll make her sentient (they had some storyline hints that they could either talk or communicate).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 27, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

By leaving when people got mad at her, Emrakul showed more self-awareness than the average goon. :v:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Jace gonna bang that otherworldly horror :heysexy:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AceClown posted:

Yeah these ones

I don't think it fits with the way they've done things or with the story thus far so I think it's unlikely. Could be wrong, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not that poo poo again. The eldrazi don't need to pervade every aspect of the lore. I never loved them but I appreciated they were very different from what they did before. Now I'm sick and tired of them. Emra'--gently caress OFF.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

myDad posted:

Jace gonna bang that otherworldly horror :heysexy:

I think that was the first thing Ajani said when he joined the Gatewatch right? "This guy fucks."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

Not that poo poo again. The eldrazi don't need to pervade every aspect of the lore. I never loved them but I appreciated they were very different from what they did before. Now I'm sick and tired of them. Emra'--gently caress OFF.

gently caress em'rakul?

I mean, who wouldn't, amirite? :haw:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I really hope that's just a plot thread that ends up with bolas having created the eldrazi for his master plan and we never actually see them again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DigitalMocking posted:

well raise my rent.

I need to clarify that rule to my son, he's got a bunch of cards that give mana when you attack with them out of Kaladesh and I told him about mana burn.

Energy counters aren't mana. They don't empty from your pool at the end of steps and phases. You just have them until you spend them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I don't find that to be the case and that is coming from someone who loves playing Wasteland/Stifle decks in legacy. You don't waste people out of games very often.

I've literally only played Wasteland decks and I think there's maybe one game every 2 weeks where Wasteland actually wins the game. And they're always against Delver. Your 6 mana-producing, 9 fetch, 0 basic deck folding to a Wasteland is an issue with your deck, not with the card. It's another one of those things that people like to complain about because it's "not fun." Which means Wasteland will probably be banned within a year.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Absolutely. Even with decks that are good against those cards, sometimes you draw the wrong part of your deck. I've lost to turn 1 Chalice as Death and Taxes because I kept Swords + Vial and drew Vial, Mom, Mom, Swords. I've almost lost to turn 1 Blood Moon in my 10 basic Plains deck because I had a good hand that didn't have a basic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

If 20% of the meta is control decks who's only wincon is Torrential Gearhulk...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Emrakul is still alive, but I'm guessing when they bring her back they'll make her sentient (they had some storyline hints that they could either talk or communicate).

emrakul already is sentient, i think you mean to say "able to communicate"

altho she technically can already do that with people she's uh "infected" going by Nissa and Jace's brain journeys

ugg 2 whole sentences about the magic story, kill me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If 20% of the meta is control decks who's only wincon is Torrential Gearhulk...

They would still have manlands

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I told you guys - the pyramids are the new hedrons.

Bolas is going to get the Eldrazi and Phyrexians and form a Legion of Doom to oppose The Jacetice League.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Veyrall posted:

There's a new magic story out from a day or so ago.

Basic rundown:

Nissa is wandering though Amonkhet checking how nice everything is as long as you don't check out how awfully hosed up the leylines and energy of the plane is. She wanders into Kefnet's temple and stumbles into the Trial! Of! Knowledge! trying to find answers about how Bolas hosed things up. Spoiler alert: It nearly loving kills her. It's filled with endless nightmare illusions, which she defeats by closing her eyes and telling them to gently caress off under her breath.

She finds herself in another room of illusions that tell the truth now, and she sees an allegory for how Bolas jacked up the plane and killed three gods leaving "just three dark rents in the fabric of the sky. Three dark holes, possessed of an energy and fury all their own, pulsing to a rhythm malevolent." So, maybe expect to see some evil corpse gods in Hour of Devastation. She also sees that Nicol Bolas' travels have left a literal trail of darkness behind him through the planes. Maybe. It's all in allegory, so who loving knows.

Anyway, she gets trapped in a revelation loop and an angel that "reminds her of Emrakul" (wink wink) tells her to stop being a pawn or a queen, and instead be a player. Then Kefnet jumps in out of nowhere, pissed that someone is interfering with his Trail. He gets good and ready to kill Nissa, until she uses leyline magic to open up Amonkhet's debug menu and sets Kefnet's murdervalue to false. Then he fucks off, saying she passed the trial, and she fucks off feeling pretty jazzed that she's not a complete punk anymore.

I really appreciate you posting recaps :):

I'm curious if the "three dark rents in the fabric of the sky" and the two suns are related. Maybe there are 5 more gods?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Three missing gods = the three eldrazi is the second dumbest story theory I've heard yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Siivola posted:

Three missing gods = the three eldrazi is the second dumbest story theory I've heard yet.

Dumb theory or dumb story? Because if you don't believe its plausible you have way too much faith in WOTC story telling.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

If one of the missing gods isn't this big tittied hippo I'm done with Magic.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I like the eldrazi. Please give me more.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
All the planes in the multiverse are Bolas' dragon eggs. He allows them to grow up and hatch, then eats them.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

suicidesteve posted:

I've literally only played Wasteland decks and I think there's maybe one game every 2 weeks where Wasteland actually wins the game. And they're always against Delver. Your 6 mana-producing, 9 fetch, 0 basic deck folding to a Wasteland is an issue with your deck, not with the card. It's another one of those things that people like to complain about because it's "not fun." Which means Wasteland will probably be banned within a year.

As someone who watches a fair amount of DnT but doesn't play, I'd argue that wastelands turn some combo matchups from non-games into games, and I feel like this happens more often than the other way around just due to how many decks in the format are built knowing they might eat a few wastes and ports

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

All the planes in the multiverse are Bolas' dragon eggs. He allows them to grow up and hatch, then eats them.

Isn't that basically the Marvel universe?

Having this be the source of the Eldrazi is fine by me so long as they don't bring the cards back, which I can't imagine they'd do. Then again, the space is still there for some gold gods, and this gives them an excuse to add some more in the mix.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

So are we supposed to recognize the weird knobbly staff that Elder Dragon God Pharaoh Legend Bolas is stealing in the art of Dispossess?

Obviously that's Feldon's Cane. Reprint confirmed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

EatinCake posted:

Having this be the source of the Eldrazi is fine by me so long as they don't bring the cards back, which I can't imagine they'd do. Then again, the space is still there for some gold gods, and this gives them an excuse to add some more in the mix.
Yes this plane that Bolas conquered like thirty years ago is obviously the source of the eldritch ageless world-eaters Ugin and co. sealed away way back when.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Eldrazi seem to be from the Blind Eternites, not any specific plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

HMS Beagle posted:

If one of the missing gods isn't this big tittied hippo I'm done with Magic.

Please leave your fetishes out of this.

I'm thinking, mechanically, exactly what the missing gods may have been. I'm thinking, a 5 color one, one that can change its color identity, and a colorless one, but I don't think they can even do a colorless one since colorless cards have certain predefined spaces and limitations and flavor...

Or hey, maybe I'm overthinking the cycle and it's just not even gonna be a thing outside of the lore.

mandatory lesbian posted:

ugg 2 whole sentences about the magic story, kill me
Give in to your inner sperg. Let the nerdiness flow through you!