Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

pidan posted:

Something that's not machines falling over: The Cleveland balloon cloud of 1986!

The dollop podcast about this: Baloonfest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pidan posted:

Something that's not machines falling over: The Cleveland balloon cloud of 1986!

Someone thought it would be a good idea to release a cloud of millions of balloons over the city of Cleveland. The weather at the time blew them all over the city and then pressed them down to a low height. The balloons interfered with traffic, stopped air traffic completely, lead to the deaths of two people and covered the city in trash

All worth is for that photo.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

It's a good enough picture that it almost justifies the existence of Cleveland itself.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Clevelanders often remember fondly of a better time, a simpler time. A time when the sky was filled with cheerful balloons.

As those of a certain age wax nostalgic for those heady days, if you can listen closely, you can often catch murmurs of "It was worth the deaths" on the wind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Balloons killed more people than Three Mile Island.

:sad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How did the two people die? It isn't in the linked article.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

haveblue posted:

Clearly they died of fun.

(A fishing boat capsized and the coast guard couldn't get to them due to the balloons.)

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

pidan posted:

Someone thought it would be a good idea to release a cloud of millions of balloons over the city of Cleveland. The weather at the time blew them all over the city and then pressed them down to a low height. The balloons interfered with traffic, stopped air traffic completely, lead to the deaths of two people and covered the city in trash.

The news report is worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8oJaPeEP-8

No latex allergies back then, eh?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

haveblue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jksRQcI9NA

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is a color blindness test, right?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

hanales posted:

Clearly they died of fun.

(A fishing boat capsized and the coast guard couldn't get to them due to the balloons.)

Holy poo poo, the coast guard suuuuucks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JoelJoel posted:

It's hard to ascribe to balloons or not but the general idea is how do you tell the difference between a head in the water and a balloon on the water when the lake is covered with balloons?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
IM TREB HEINING, BALLOON MASTER

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah the video of the release is really cool.

I'm thinking of that movie trailer I saw about the most dangerous boat rescue the Coast Guard ever conducted, and all the characters are like "We go where no one else will!!! Nothing stops the Coast Guard!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQmllwTKtqU&t=83s

Ahhhh, too many balloons!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

They had a helicopter rescue unit that had trouble flying and seeing through 1.4 million balloons.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm guessing balloons don't do much good for a helicopter's engines

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm guessing balloons don't do much good for a helicopter's engines

I'm guessing that when the rotors hit all those balloons it would have sounded like a thousand people popping bubble wrap

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Did the person whom released the balloons get charged with involuntary manslaughter?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

zedprime posted:

It's hard to ascribe to balloons or not but the general idea is how do you tell the difference between a head in the water and a balloon on the water when the lake is covered with balloons?
The one that's screaming is the head.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MF_James posted:

Did the person whom released the balloons get charged with involuntary manslaughter?

No, but the charity that organized the release did get sued multiple times.
http://www.cleveland.com/remembers/index.ssf/2011/08/balloonfest_1986_the_spectacle.html

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

ulmont posted:

No, but the charity that organized the release did get sued multiple times.
http://www.cleveland.com/remembers/index.ssf/2011/08/balloonfest_1986_the_spectacle.html

quote:

A Montville Township woman sued United Way Services of Cleveland for $100,000 yesterday ... claiming her prize Arabian horses suffered permanent injuries when they were spooked by balloons released during Balloon Fest 1986.

poor ol' freckles, thought of balloons and died

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Horses being spooked should not be covered under any sort of insurance as it's a core feature of the species.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Horses being spooked should not be covered under any sort of insurance as it's a core feature of the species.

On the flip side, horse owners being predominantly self-centred assholes is pretty well documented. Strangely, of the ones I've met, they're all either completely insufferable or the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet with no middle ground.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No latex allergies back then, eh?

Nope. No nut allergies either. Those are millennial maladies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just like gluten

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

On the flip side, horse owners being predominantly self-centred assholes is pretty well documented. Strangely, of the ones I've met, they're all either completely insufferable or the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet with no middle ground.

I'm not a horse owner, but I do ride one. As far as I can see horse riders fall in the following categories:

- Girls who care more about horses than about humans. They'll be very nice to horses but rude to people.
- Generally nice people who don't care about stereotypes and are just here for an enjoyable ride. These people are often somewhat older. They don't take things too seriously when it comes to horse sports. It's just a way to relax, like a run or a ball game.
- And then there's that ONE guy who can only be described as a :spergin: brony and keeps driving his horse into walls because asking him to pay attention for more than 5 seconds is impossible.

But that's in the amateur riding scene. I don't think I've ever met professional horse sportspeople.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm not a horse owner, but I do ride one. As far as I can see horse riders fall in the following categories:

- Girls who care more about horses than about humans. They'll be very nice to horses but rude to people.
- Generally nice people who don't care about stereotypes and are just here for an enjoyable ride. These people are often somewhat older. They don't take things too seriously when it comes to horse sports. It's just a way to relax, like a run or a ball game.
- And then there's that ONE guy who can only be described as a :spergin: brony and keeps driving his horse into walls because asking him to pay attention for more than 5 seconds is impossible.

But that's in the amateur riding scene. I don't think I've ever met professional horse sportspeople.

I thought the advantage to horses and donkeys over cars is that they won't run into walls/trees/cliffs if the driver is a dumbass. What kind of retard horse just walks into a wall?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I thought the advantage to horses and donkeys over cars is that they won't run into walls/trees/cliffs if the driver is a dumbass. What kind of retard horse just walks into a wall?

Horses are incredibly stupid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you were carrying a goon who wants to sodomize you, you might start walking into walls :shrug:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Death by ballon, sure a fate reserved for clowns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oohhboy posted:

Death by ballon, sure a fate reserved for clowns.

Brazilian ministers

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How much Helium is a million balloons?

Was the local supply of Helium for non serious stuff affected? Also they should have just down what Mythbusted did that one time and see if they could lift a kid.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

in a telephone call he made during the flight, he stated that if someone could just explain how to use his GPS he could relay his position to rescuers

That's a pretty sizable omission in the old preparation plan there, padre.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Memento posted:

That's a pretty sizable omission in the old preparation plan there, padre.

How can you not know how to use a GPS?

You literally just press the button marked 'on' and is displays your position in big letters.

My grandmother and my 8 year old could both work out how to use it. Heck, my CEO could probably work it out, once he stopped chewing it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

How much Helium is a million balloons?

Was the local supply of Helium for non serious stuff affected? Also they should have just down what Mythbusted did that one time and see if they could lift a kid.

Making a very rough estimate of 1 litre of helium per balloon, we get around 1 gram of lifting force per balloon at sea level, so 1.5 million balloons can lift 1500kg or around 3300 pounds. Around the weight of a modern midsize sedan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Making a very rough estimate of 1 litre of helium per balloon, we get around 1 gram of lifting force per balloon at sea level, so 1.5 million balloons can lift 1500kg or around 3300 pounds. Around the weight of a modern midsize sedan.

I think you’re really underestimating the volume of those balloons. From the boat photo, they seem to be normal party balloons.

Twelve‐inch balloons seem to be typical, and according to this chart, those have a volume of fifteen litres.

Because of the weight of the latex and the compression it puts on the helium, they can only lift about twelve grams each.

So that’s about twenty tonnes of useful lift for the lot of them.

e: Then again, they demonstrably sunk and sat on the surface of the lake, so that does suggest they had negative lift.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 28, 2017

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

She should be wearing gloves and eye protection.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/ynDZvPV.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
fake