Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Trynant posted:

Tree Bark Soup AND Sausage counters. Truly GBII is the supreme experience.

Is it wrong that I want GBII just so I can get the errata counters for DAKII?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

tomdidiot posted:

Is it wrong that I want GBII just so I can get the errata counters for DAKII?

If DAKII's errata was that it lacked Tree Bark Soup and Sausage counters then no, that's totally fine.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I've been playing boardgames for years now and was interested in getting into the deeper mechanics of wargames for a while now. I own 1960 and TS and have played memoir '44 digitally, but was looking for other options. I'll idle in the irc channel and would love it if someone would show me the ropes of a game on VASSAL. I'm into pretty much any theme but would love to try a block wargame.

One other thing, I live in New Orleans and noticed that the WWII Museum has a wargame event; is this the kind of event worth checking out or would it be filled with the type of people I wouldn't want to meet in real life?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Not all wargamers are bad :(

Everyone I've met while playing ASL has been cool and I would hang out with them if I could

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Every wargamer I've met so far has been pretty cool

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
We even wash every now and again!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That wargame event looks great.
I'd go if i weren't in an entirely different hemisphere...can't ever have too many wargame contacts imho.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I only got like 10% of the way finished with my Python implementation of Cuba Libre. Turns out that cash markers have a lot of dumb rules and were annoying to program, and I got bored.

I do think the new ADP bots (from C3i #30) are a big improvement that allow a lot more interesting play. I still haven't won as solitaire Govt.

I showed this off in a job interview today (now with a GUI and some more crap). It went surprisingly well, for a personal project that I don't have the rights to do!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Dunno guys, I'm a wargamer and I'm pretty bad & uncool.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Sleekly posted:

That wargame event looks great.
I'd go if i weren't in an entirely different hemisphere...can't ever have too many wargame contacts imho.

I'm not good at reading because that event was scheduled for 2013!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow weird that a wargame website would be woefully out of date

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I imagine event registration involved printing out a PDF form so you could mail it in?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I imagine event registration involved printing out a PDF form so you could mail it in?

A PDF? That sounds pretty advanced. I expected something involving a fax.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol just lol if you don't use carrier pigeons

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Holy gently caress, the Axis Empires Expansion Kit super special pre-order price is $120.

All I wanted is some rules about how to use the Austria-Hungarian counters in Totaler Krieg but this poo poo is going to end up costing like 200€ with shipping, I bet.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Obfuscation posted:

Holy gently caress, the Axis Empires Expansion Kit super special pre-order price is $120.

All I wanted is some rules about how to use the Austria-Hungarian counters in Totaler Krieg but this poo poo is going to end up costing like 200€ with shipping, I bet.

I can't figure out what they're trying to do here with this series. It seems plain English is beyond them.

I assume (though they never say so) that a stand-alone 2nd edition of each game is coming out at some point.

This 'upgrade' will replace the 1st edition maps and about 1/2 the counters for both sets of games to bring them up to 2nd editions status. But the upgrade is only if you own both, not one or the other?

Nowhere are the complete 2nd edition games mentioned or offered for presale.

Also no mention of inclusion of long-awaited "Dice of Decision" module to go along with the second edition, so that's another 'upgrade' to purchase on top of all this?

What a mess.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 27, 2017

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

I can't figure out what they're trying to do here with this series. It seems plain English is beyond them.

I assume (though they never say so) that a stand-alone 2nd edition of each game is coming out at some point.

This 'upgrade' will replace the 1st edition maps and about 1/2 the counters for both sets of games to bring them up to 2nd editions status. But the upgrade is only if you own both, not one or the other?

Nowhere are the complete 2nd edition games mentioned or offered for presale.

Also no mention of inclusion of long-awaited "Dice of Decision" module to go along with the second edition, so that's another 'upgrade' to purchase on top of all this?

What a mess.

I haven't checked Consimworld in a while, but at some point it the expansion kit was meant to contain 3 different parts:
-the more detailed air/naval system
-Dice of Decision
-upgrade that makes Dai Senso not broken

I'm assuming that the "2nd edition" talk just means that they are going to print the latest updated rulebook and throw it in the box too. I think the new maps are just supposed to have the alt-history borders for Dice of Decision, but who the gently caress knows.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I showed this off in a job interview today (now with a GUI and some more crap). It went surprisingly well, for a personal project that I don't have the rights to do!

Awesome! Boardgame implementations with rules and AI are always good to see. Maybe your interview is with GMT and they'll have you finish? :)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
For some reason my cat just decided to bite a corner off of one of Birds of Prey data cards, specifically for the AA-7A Apex missile.

Maybe she just really loving hates Russians or something?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You're doing God's work here. Programming up a COIN bot would be amazing.

edit: (now make one for Pericles pleeeeeeease)

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 27, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Ithle01 posted:

You're doing God's work here. Programming up a COIN bot would be amazing.

edit: (now make one for Pericles pleeeeeeease)

I imagine there would a (small) market for a COIN-bot phone app. That would be cool.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

I imagine there would a (small) market for a COIN-bot phone app. That would be cool.

That would be very cool, but yeah the market would be tiny.

And later COIN games get more complicated, I pity whoever would have to program the one for Pendragon. Although Colonial Twilight looks like it'll be a return to simpler design, sans pivotal cards.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I started mapping out a FITL bot app once and the number of variables that would need to be manually updated by the player each turn was discouraging.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

That would be very cool, but yeah the market would be tiny.

And later COIN games get more complicated, I pity whoever would have to program the one for Pendragon. Although Colonial Twilight looks like it'll be a return to simpler design, sans pivotal cards.

If the app were good and easy to use, I would probably pay up to the same amount I paid for the game, because it would more than double the number of plays I'd get from it. I would rather spend the money than spend the time to internalize those flowcharts.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

homullus posted:

If the app were good and easy to use, I would probably pay up to the same amount I paid for the game, because it would more than double the number of plays I'd get from it. I would rather spend the money than spend the time to internalize those flowcharts.

yeah that's roughly my thoughts as well. Then again, I have yet to try the online version of Twilight Struggle - that being said I'm way more into COIN than TS.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What's the best Barbarossa game that I can play on one table?

Is the Russian Campaign?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

No Retreat and just do the entire Eastern Front :v:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

No Retreat and just do the entire Eastern Front :v:

This but unironically

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

What's the best Barbarossa game that I can play on one table?

Is the Russian Campaign?

You know you have to play GBII at some point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't have to do anything! You can't make me! I need an adult!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So, in lieu of Lobstercon, I've continued my solo OCS playthrough of Tunisia. It's the 1st of January.The Allies have actually had some serious success in the North, with the Brits haing taken Bizerte and Mateur. However, the German defences in front of Tunis itself are... formidable. I've left the British 78th Division, 6th Armoured, and US 1st Armoured holding the line there. So I've decided to start a flanking maneuver with the US 1st Infantry Division to try to cut off the retreating DAK and stop them reaching the Mareth line. At the same time, I'm now satisfied with the German "hedgehog" in the North after the arrival of the 334th Division and Suprega Divisions, and have started pulling 10th Panzer units out of the line in order to start throwing them at the allies around Kasserine to disrupt their planned march to the sea. I might even consider throwing them up the (terribly defended) road to Le Kef and Souk el Arba to wreak havoc in the Allied Rear Lines - but the lovely throw ranges of Italian HQs make that very hard to achieve. I'm not exactly sure what on earth I'd be able to achieve other than getting myself surrounded on three sides.

This system has a spooky tendency to make you want to make the decisions the commanders historically made. It's scary.

Situation map end of January 1st.

Tunis area

Kasserine Pass area

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

tomdidiot posted:

You know you have to play GBII at some point.

Im not sure this follows the spirit of the "one table" suggestion

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

MikeCrotch posted:

Im not sure this follows the spirit of the "one table" suggestion

It fits on one table! One gigantic table!

Anyway, I somehow managed to roll 7 mud turns in a row (probability about 1%) and the Germans have just won the initiative and are electing to let the allies go first on the January 29th Turn. Should be interesting! Both sides have a truly ridonculous (35 SP each!) amount of supply currently saved up.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Just went in for the attack on the 29th of January Turn.

It was carnage.

21st Panzer attacked the Division Marche Constantine as it was strung out in column formation between Gafsa and the sea, destroying a foreign legion regiment, the divisional artillery, and an attached unit of tanks for no loss in the combat phase.

A Before and After picture in the south.

Before

After

the recon unit used its exploit move to hit the Foreign Legion unit, then headed back east in order to avoid getting wrecked by the other DMC units as they get into combat mode.

Seeing the massing 10th Panzer Division units, I had rushed the US 1st Armored Division down to Kasserine Pass to block the way west. I did not have time to deploy them from Move mode to combat mode before 10th Panzer hit. In retrospect, moving them down so quickly was probably a mistake. I should have kept them up in the hills up north, and then moved them down in combat mode next turn. 10th Panzer gave the Americans an excellent drubbing.

The result:
Top rows are casualties from the Northern pincer. Bottom row are casualties from the southern pincer. 1 Panzer Battalion for a hell of a lot of Allied dead + an American armored infantry regiment surrounded and DGed.

And guess who just won the initiative and are about to take a double turn?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
While 10th Panzer had some amazing success in the north, 3 turns later, the Kasserine offensive has petered out. With the easy pickings in poor defensive terrain already destroyed or driven back, 10th Panzer started to butt heads against the Big Red One holding the Oud el Fekal, and lost a Panzer Regiment in the process (3 shifts left on a AR+3 modifier - ouch!).10th Panzer was counterattacked from the north by remnants of the US 1st Armoured Division, and combined offensive punch of one and a half allied divisions against a depleted Panzer Division (plus a lucky surprise roll which ended up allowing elements of the US 13th Armored Regiment to overrun and destroy both of 10th Panzer's Panzergrenadier regiments) means that the 10th Panzer is now retreating eastwards with their tails between their legs towards the Atlas mountains.

Turned very quickly into:

With the Northern force withdrawing, I felt there was little choice but to also withdraw 21st Panzer and its attached support. Even though the division was still intact (minus the motor recon battalion). It had destroyed the Divsion March Constantine, as well as elements of the US 1st and 34th Infantry Division, but without support and at the very end of a tenuous supply line, there was little that could be achieved against stiffening Allied defences. Overall, the Operation was probably a success - I destroyed about 3 divisions worth of Allied Troops (pretty much all of US 1st armored was in the dead pile at some point, all of the DMC, + 2 regiments each from the US 1st and US 34th Divisions), but the allies were pretty much immediately able to replace a lot (about a third) of these troops with the various PAX and EQ replacements avaliable in Algiers!

Taking advantage of the carnage in the South, the Allies launched their own attack to both threaten Medjez el bab and Tunis. The British 6th Armoured Division and the French Morrocaine division push through El Aroussa and manage to overrun a few German/Italian rear-area units guarding the highway. While the force is not strong enough to take Tunis, it is strong enough to threaten Medjez el bab, but the Germans and Italians have dug in and aren't giving it up without a proper fight! Allied forntal attacks across the river have been unsuccessful, but they are at least getting 1 for 1 exchange rates, which they can afford but the Germans most definitely cannot
They have also begun to threaten Enfidaville along the coastal road, but that is strongly held by a regiment of the Herman Goering Fallschrim-Panzer Division. 6th Armoured is a good unit, but it can't be everwhere at once, and it's still missing an armoured regiment (The 16th/5th Lancers)

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
Hey wargame thread, did anyone here ever play an old 80s game called Supremacy? I realize it's not really a "wargame" (dice rolling Ameritrash :D) but at least it has armies, navies, and nukes dropping.

Wondering what anyone's thoughts or opinions are on it (and it's 16 or so expansions). Mostly what was wrong with it/why was it a terrible trashy game.

It seems like a perfect fit for my game night group that seems to love wargames but can't be bothered to learn the rules or spend the time on a real wargame.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Conquest7706 posted:

Hey wargame thread, did anyone here ever play an old 80s game called Supremacy? I realize it's not really a "wargame" (dice rolling Ameritrash :D) but at least it has armies, navies, and nukes dropping.

Wondering what anyone's thoughts or opinions are on it (and it's 16 or so expansions). Mostly what was wrong with it/why was it a terrible trashy game.

It seems like a perfect fit for my game night group that seems to love wargames but can't be bothered to learn the rules or spend the time on a real wargame.

Friend of mine played it to death in college or something.

It's apparently pretty bad, takes way too long, and can result in no one winning due to nuclear armageddon iirc.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Conquest7706 posted:

Why not go for stuff like Kemet or Terra Mystica?

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Why not go for stuff like Kemet or Terra Mystica?

The group has played Terra Mystica, and we play a lot of different board games and card games. Every once in a while part of the group gets on a "wargame" kick and we end up playing Axis & Allies, Risk, Diplomacy, and Game of Thrones for a couple months. I've tried in vain to get them hooked on COIN games, Triumph & Tragedy, Churchill, and others but it usually results in unfinished games because no one is interested in learning how to play and the games get bogged down. I have a terrible gaming group full of AP weirdos who can take an hour to play a single round of Coup or Sushi Go.

I've decided to quit trying with real, good games and embrace their shittiness with something like Supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
:laffo: he wants to play wargames