Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Did you Depart in the middle of a post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like how the first episode set us up to expect Kevin Sr at the end but gave us Nora, then this episode switched them out

I'm easily impressed!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I like how the first episode set us up to expect Kevin Sr at the end but gave us Nora, then this episode switched them out

I'm easily impressed!

Huh?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The end of the premier, one might easily think the grey-haired person is Kevin Sr, before Nora turns around and we realize it is her.

The end of the second episode, one might think that we are seeing the Nora-future again, based on the old women who make up the posse, but the person who comes out of the house turns out it to be Kevin Sr.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klungar posted:

The end of the premier, one might easily think the grey-haired person is Kevin Sr, before Nora turns around and we realize it is her.

The end of the second episode, one might think that we are seeing the Nora-future again, based on the old women who make up the posse, but the person who comes out of the house turns out it to be Kevin Sr.

I get the premiere one maybe mistaking Nora for Kevin Sr, but the second episode's ending clearly isn't set in the future since the newscast mentions the seventh anniversary of the departure, plus there are vehicles, etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm assuming the four women were supposed to represent the 4 horseman of the apocalypse. But I'm also bad at recognizing symbology.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Definitely a fair assumption. I thought it was actually so blatant it was borderline too much

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I'm wondering if the Nora we see at the end of 301 is post-microwaved Nora? Maybe she tries it, ends up with the 2%?

My theory is it's just older Nora. Maybe Kevin is in hiding with her after being turned into a Messiah figure that people are trying to find. I think Matt's new bible is creates a bunch of crazy zealots.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Apparently any character that Carrie Coon plays on TV has terrible luck with technology. This week her character on Fargo had very similar issues with a phone and a door sensor. Weird.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Apparently any character that Carrie Coon plays on TV has terrible luck with technology. This week her character on Fargo had very similar issues with a phone and a door sensor. Weird.

Is this season similar to Season 2 where it has nothing to do with the first season? I tried getting into that show but made it 1.x episodes and couldn't stand it, but apparently Season 2 is great

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Fargo's an anthology show, each season is a different story in a different time period. The seasons have allusions to each other and to the film, but you could watch them in any order, or skip a season if you really don't like it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Is this season similar to Season 2 where it has nothing to do with the first season?

Season 2 was connected to 1 by having two of the same characters ~thirty years prior. It's not clear if S3 is connected in any way to the other seasons yet.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Fargo Season 3 is already connected to Season 2 but in a very small way and we have no idea what it means (if anything): The old man Ennis Stussy is watching the UFO scene from Season 2 on his TV right before he dies.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Oooh new intro song!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Perfect Strangers' theme and now fuckin' Richard Cheese? I forgive you for everything, Lindelof. Everything.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:smith:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I love this show

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I love this show

It is so well written and acted that my heart keeps breaking for these charcters.

Grace from down under posted:

There is no message, and God doesn’t care about me. It’s all just a story I tell myself. It’s just a silly, stupid story. And I believed it because… I’ve gone a bit crazy, haven’t I?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Enjoyed the story but felt like maybe it was just a bit off or too different and then god drat it that last scene.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Every single time that max Richter theme kicks in I know it's going to be an absolute emotional feast. This show is so drat good at completely sucking me in its incredible. That last scene was incredible. God I love this show

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
God drat what a beautiful shot

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
That's the first Leftovers episode in a long time that I just kinda shrugged at. Felt like a bunch of gobbledegook until that last awesome scene. Which, even as awesome as that last part was- I kinda wish the episode started with that and went on to other stuff.

Also, gently caress Richard Cheese. Ugh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Did you Depart in the middle of a post?

"There was an internet forum... and all of its users disappeared on the 14th. Do you know how loving unlikely that is???"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In episode 5, per Entertainment Weekly, Matt meets God.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rocco posted:

That's the first Leftovers episode in a long time that I just kinda shrugged at. Felt like a bunch of gobbledegook until that last awesome scene. Which, even as awesome as that last part was- I kinda wish the episode started with that and went on to other stuff.
I was a bit surprised that it turns out the whole time Kevin Sr. had been in Australia he'd had no clue what the hell he's doing. I kind of expected that guy on the news from Australia who claimed he couldn't die, I kind of expected Kevin Sr. to be meeting up with that dude or something but instead it was just his adventure in running around grasping for purpose up until where it took us to the ending of e2. I didn't really dislike it, but there's not that many episodes left.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fast Luck posted:

I was a bit surprised that it turns out the whole time Kevin Sr. had been in Australia he'd had no clue what the hell he's doing. I kind of expected that guy on the news from Australia who claimed he couldn't die, I kind of expected Kevin Sr. to be meeting up with that dude or something but instead it was just his adventure in running around grasping for purpose up until where it took us to the ending of e2. I didn't really dislike it, but there's not that many episodes left.

It was kind of a nice subverting of expectations - "Oh, Kevin Sr. didn't go there to meet up with the Cave Man, his 'voices' weren't actually giving him any guidance, he's...just a crazy person" - but yeah, I don't know that it needed 1/6th of the show's remaining running time to make that clear.

clown shoes posted:

God drat what a beautiful shot

Gas can man was definitely rejected by the LADR Microwave team, right? Complaining about being left, and that he couldn't pass somebody's "test."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The guy who claims he came back from the dead and the afterlife is a hotel is almost certainly Box from The Night Of, the guy on the bridge/ at the bar

I think he and Kevin are similar to one another, dipping in and out of life

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It was a gorgeous episode. I was waiting for some grand payoff, or for there to be some implications for this later, but I'm becoming alright with it just being a reveal of Kevin Sr's journey.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This show has become so good that a perfectly adequate Episode to move pieces into place for the home stretch feels like a letdown.

It was still a beautifully shot and acted hour of television that also advanced the story in meaningful ways.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

JethroMcB posted:

Gas can man was definitely rejected by the LADR Microwave team, right? Complaining about being left, and that he couldn't pass somebody's "test."

That was my thought too. No one is so upset about being left that they'd gas can themselves 7 years later. Plus his accent wasn't Australian, so he'd obviously traveled there, gotten rejected, bought that lovely old VW and lit himself up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What hat was Kev Sr wearing in the desert?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Professor Shark posted:

What hat was Kev Sr wearing in the desert?

Looked like a Mapleton PD hat to me

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Professor Shark posted:

The guy who claims he came back from the dead and the afterlife is a hotel is almost certainly Box from The Night Of, the guy on the bridge/ at the bar

I think he and Kevin are similar to one another, dipping in and out of life
Yeah, well so in that case Kevin is special but he'd not be the only "shaman" type guy out there. So the Book of Kevin is obviously missing the bigger picture if that's the case. But maybe that other guy is never going to really come into this season.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 1, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Good episode. The best looking episode of the series, wonderfully shot.

I like the fact that the "You're the guy who killed him?" bloke is best known in Australia for this ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX__i-zeaWs

Also, drat, David Gulpilil (Christopher Sunday) is looking old these day, unexpected surprise but good to see him in the show too, given the themes of this episode.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

So is the implication at the end that Kevin Sr. will become an acolyte for Kevin Jr. for Grace and her crew, or that he would reveal himself as Police Chief Kevin and use her group to aid his flood prevention efforts?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of the only episodes of this show that I just didn't like. Spending an hour on a minor character who hasn't had importance since Season one seemed to be a waste. I know it eventually tied in to the main plot but up till the end the episode dragged too much.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Klungar posted:

So is the implication at the end that Kevin Sr. will become an acolyte for Kevin Jr. for Grace and her crew, or that he would reveal himself as Police Chief Kevin and use her group to aid his flood prevention efforts?

I think they're going to drown Kevin Jr. so he can go to the other side and get the rest of the song Sr. was trying to get from Christopher Sunday.

Fast Luck posted:

I was a bit surprised that it turns out the whole time Kevin Sr. had been in Australia he'd had no clue what the hell he's doing.

Except that he did remember being in the hotel and taking the drug that let him talk to Kevin in the other world, he just didn't remember their conversation. Almost like he accomplished the real reason for being there but he doesn't know it yet.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I get why people didn't like it (up until the end, come on), but I've been looking at the show with a bit more of an allowance for the weird. I actually think Kevin Sr's entire story, chicken and all, was legit. I think Gail's (is that her name?) story was also a very real indication that Kevin Sr did indeed get where he was going.

I also am very sure Nora is just covering up her trip to AU and is completely focused on the hope that it's real. Her difficult role as the one who is totally fine is on its last legs. She was ready to tell Kevin that she is not okay and her kids are always on her mind. She got a mild but hollow release with Erika and topped it off by taking every second of temporary high, knowing she was going to go and talk to Kevin. Nora stopped to delay that conversation.

Then, ready to flip the scales over with the expectation of support she gets Kevin in a bag and a reminder that he is "happy" and her nature makes that balloon too important to pop right now.

Also regarding Low Amplitude Denzinger Radiation" - Denzinger doesn't appear to have any connection to physical sciences. Denzinger in this case is almost certainly 19th philosopher cum theologian Heinrich Denzinger, who was known for interest in real historical connections to religious lore.

My guess is that it wasn't an arbitrary choice to use "Denzinger" and something will connect the LADR to more than the opening scene of episode 301.

poo poo gonna be sick next week.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

SLOSifl posted:

Also regarding Low Amplitude Denzinger Radiation" - Denzinger doesn't appear to have any connection to physical sciences. Denzinger in this case is almost certainly 19th philosopher cum theologian Heinrich Denzinger, who was known for interest in real historical connections to religious lore.

My guess is that it wasn't an arbitrary choice to use "Denzinger" and something will connect the LADR to more than the opening scene of episode 301.

I read somewhere that Denzinger was mentioned in background of the first season as part of the government commission tasked with explaining the departures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

I get why people didn't like it (up until the end, come on), but I've been looking at the show with a bit more of an allowance for the weird. I actually think Kevin Sr's entire story, chicken and all, was legit. I think Gail's (is that her name?) story was also a very real indication that Kevin Sr did indeed get where he was going.

I think wherever Kevin Sr ended up would be the place he felt he was intended to go. I think the whole point is that Kevin Sr and now Grace are desperate to find meaning in things that are mundane.

• Locked thread