Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love watching the Bat family interact with each other. It'd be cool if Damian started showing up in Detective Comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

good day for a bris posted:

I know you probably won't have an answer cuz you just started but does anyone have an answer as to why he's wearing Ted's old costume. I like that Ted is back but they seemed to have mostly just done nothing with him yet.

Ted had a heart attack and quit superheroics. Jaime had the scarab stripped from him last issue, and is now donning Ted's old costume to continue fighting for what's right.

Also I've read the entire series so far. I was going to have it removed, but the comic shop accidentally left it in, and I'm ok with keeping up with it now.

Also: Just so you all know, OMAC came back in this issue

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Most Damian I've read is Steph's Batgirl series, but based on what little I've read (I need to read Morrison's Batman and Robin) I like him, and especially his interactions with the rest of the Batfamily. Also I'm pretty sure he's crushing on all the ladies and responds by being even more of a little poo poo.

I also like Morrison's Arkham Asylum, and the only Green Arrow I've read is Year One, but it's pretty good.

Aphrodite posted:

He means Green Arrow here, not Lantern. You don't need to read Green Lantern for Green Arrow, there's no cross-over or anything.

Well, I mean, there was that hugely important Green Lantern and Green Arrow run.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a different Green Arrow though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So part 4 of "THE BUTTON" is going to be a week late and the insane Marvel fandom is hailing this as a sign that Rebirth is a failure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What the gently caress happened to Marvel, like how has this situation shifted so dramatically towards DC. I feel like DC has been a joke since 2011 and now all of a sudden Marvel is the one shrinking and turning into a corn cob.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

purple death ray posted:

What the gently caress happened to Marvel, like how has this situation shifted so dramatically towards DC. I feel like DC has been a joke since 2011 and now all of a sudden Marvel is the one shrinking and turning into a corn cob.

Marvel's big events and a few of the bigger titles are lackluster for sure, but I still feel they have way more good titles than DC does at the moment. That's why I was hoping for some more announcements and possibly cancellations so we can get some other books going.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Eh, I think Marvel's just publishing way more books than DC does.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

All this talk of Morrison and no one mentions All-Star Superman?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was never a big fan of Morrison's Batman stuff. I do like Damien now though. Morrison for me is much more miss than hit, but most of his hits have come in DC for me. Those being his JLA and the One Million event. All Star Superman and all the Seven Soldiers stuff. I didn't much care for what I read of Multiversity though and his Action Comics N52 run was a dud for me. The only thing I really liked I can remember he wrote for Marvel was the Marvel Boy mini.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

So part 4 of "THE BUTTON" is going to be a week late and the insane Marvel fandom is hailing this as a sign that Rebirth is a failure.
Who wants to take bets on how delayed the last issue of Secret Empire will be?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lotus circle posted:

Who wants to take bets on how delayed the last issue of Secret Empire will be?

I would have said at least a month minimum but they have a different artist on every issue so probably not much if at all. The only way I see it being delayed now is if some essential tie-in gets held up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dexie posted:

All this talk of Morrison and no one mentions All-Star Superman?

That's right next to Kingdom Come in books that I forget to recommend because I just assume that comic fans are aware of it's reputation through cultural osmosis. Mark Waid claims to have read every Superman story, but never one better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NikkolasKing posted:

What's the deal with Grant Morrison? He seems like he's supposed to be one of the big names of the industry and I hear a lot about his Batman and X-Men (two franchises I care about) but at the same time, it seems he did really weird things to both franchises. I don't think I've met a Damien Wayne fan in my life and was Morrison a proponent of the "Batgod aka Batman can prepare for anything" idea?
Damian Wayne is someone that works much better in practice than on paper, because you can pair him up with almost anybody and get some good stuff out.

Morrison's not the only writer to give Batman hypercompetent preparation skills; Waid's Tower of Babel is (I think?) the origin of the "has plans to defeat every JL member" idea, and one of the running jokes in the Adam West series is the absurdly specific devices he has at his disposal.

One of my favourite bits in Morrison's Batman run is in Time and the Batman where Bats talks about how hard it is keeping up with aliens and gods, and how he only survives by being small enough to fit through the holes in their plans.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not a huge Superman fan. Of course I've heard of AS Superman but it's not anything I particularly care about at the moment.

There's like, ten billion Batbooks going on right now that interest me more.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Morrison's JLA and Loeb's Superman/Batman helped make me a fan of Superman. Just could never get into him when I was a kid, but I really learned to like him because of how he contrasted and complimented Batman.

Superman can win anyone over if you give him a chance. He's Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not a huge Superman fan. Of course I've heard of AS Superman but it's not anything I particularly care about at the moment.

There's like, ten billion Batbooks going on right now that interest me more.

All Star is basically just a love letter to the history of the character. I hate when people recommend it as a first read kind of thing because it's not a typical Superman story at all and I've found it's a bit overwhelming for people just looking for a good Superman story. It's great and I love it, but I don't think it's one of those universally great stories where everyone who reads it will love it. It's a bit too out there for that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? as a first time Superman more myself

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Eh, I think Marvel's just publishing way more books than DC does.

I bet they're within 5 books a month difference at most.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

All Star is basically just a love letter to the history of the character. I hate when people recommend it as a first read kind of thing because it's not a typical Superman story at all and I've found it's a bit overwhelming for people just looking for a good Superman story. It's great and I love it, but I don't think it's one of those universally great stories where everyone who reads it will love it. It's a bit too out there for that.

My first comic read of Superman was a trade paperback of Return of Superman. I'd seen the Christopher Reeve movie, seen a bit of Lois and Clark, and knew of him in general, but that was first Superman comic I remember.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For the man who has everything is my go to Superman story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

I bet they're within 5 books a month difference at most.

I actually just looked at it, and I guess DC actually publishes more comics than Marvel? That's weird because I honestly thought Marvel was putting out more, but I guess there's a bunch of DC stuff every month that basically nobody here pays attention to like Scooby Doo team-up and Teen Titans Go

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I like What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? as a first time Superman more myself

I enjoy that, not sure I'd recommend it as a Superman primer but it's not a bad recommendation. For someone just wanting to get into Superman I would probably recommend something along the lines of Man of Steel, For All Seasons, or For The Man Who Has Everything.

Skwirl posted:

My first comic read of Superman was a trade paperback of Return of Superman. I'd seen the Christopher Reeve movie, seen a bit of Lois and Clark, and knew of him in general, but that was first Superman comic I remember.

That is a hell of a thing to first be exposed to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My first superman comic (and only superman comic for like 20 years) was death of superman and I still love that book.

AS Superman was confusing as all hell when I read that a couple years back. I bet if I retried it I would enjoy it more, but I found it real offputting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the first comic I ever started getting and wasn't something that my parents had as kids was the Ending Battle arc of Superman.

I never did get all the issues, and to this day, I still have no idea how it ends

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jordan7hm posted:

AS Superman was confusing as all hell when I read that a couple years back. I bet if I retried it I would enjoy it more, but I found it real offputting.

Confusing? In what way?

I've heard AS Supes called a lot of things, but confusing is a new one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dexie posted:

Confusing? In what way?

From what I recall - it was jumping around a bunch making references that I didn't get, and it seemed like the point was the references rather than the story.

It's basically the first superman thing I read after coming back to comics and it massively turned me off of the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I enjoy that, not sure I'd recommend it as a Superman primer but it's not a bad recommendation. For someone just wanting to get into Superman I would probably recommend something along the lines of Man of Steel, For All Seasons, or For The Man Who Has Everything.

That is a hell of a thing to first be exposed to.

I started collecting Spider-Man at the beginning of The Clone Saga.

Edit: and I still think Dan Slott is the worst thing to happen to Spider-Man

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

My first superman comic (and only superman comic for like 20 years) was death of superman and I still love that book.

That is a prime example of why I shake my head whenever that's an immediate recommendation to people. It's not a book that most can just jump right into.

Skwirl posted:

I started collecting Spider-Man at the beginning of The Clone Saga.

Why

quote:

Edit: and I still think Dan Slott is the worst thing to happen to Spider-Man

I still contend it was the whole Spider Totem debacle.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Dexie posted:

Confusing? In what way?

I tried to read AS Superman as one of my first comics and was a bit confused to begin with. It opens up with STAR Labs and this dude in a rainbow coat and I was wondering if I was jumping into the middle of a story or something. I considered myself at least somewhat knowledgeable about Supes from cultural osmosis, but that was totally lost on me.

e: oh dear this av is much bigger than i thought

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I bet a big thing with rear end is that most people read it as a graphic novel, and it's all about jumping around as slightly connected one or two shot stories.

Roth posted:

Did you read the follow-ups? JLA #100 and JL Elite are a bunch more from Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke.
And of course there's their JLA run after Morrison, which should be recommended just as much, imo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 28, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is anything interesting happening in DC comics right now? I recall seeing somewhere that now would be a good time to jump back in. Normally, I'd care about Marvel, but after Secret Wars ended I just haven't been interested in any of the remixed teams or new series that have came out. The whole Nazi Captain America thing didn't exactly interest me either. It's not even the argument oh Marvel is PC or something similar it just Marvel hasn't really interested me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

With like two recently canceled exceptions I've found most of Marvel's ongoings right now to be middling-to-lovely, but I'm reading like 15 different DC books. There's a good chance you'll find something you'll like.

EDIT: For recommendations: Superman, Batman, Detective Comics, Deathstroke and Super Sons are the five books I look forward to most each month.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 29, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So is anything interesting happening in DC comics right now? I recall seeing somewhere that now would be a good time to jump back in. Normally, I'd care about Marvel, but after Secret Wars ended I just haven't been interested in any of the remixed teams or new series that have came out. The whole Nazi Captain America thing didn't exactly interest me either. It's not even the argument oh Marvel is PC or something similar it just Marvel hasn't really interested me.

Get this https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Vol-Son-Rebirth/dp/1401267769
and this https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Detective-Comics-Batmen-Rebirth/dp/1401267998
and this https://www.amazon.com/Flintstones-Vol-1-Mark-Russell/dp/1401268374

edit: and if nothing interested you after Secret Wars, I hope you just accidentally overlooked this https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Vol-Little-Worse-Than/dp/0785196579

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 29, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cool, funny enough those are all available for borrowing on Hoopla.

Don't know if anyone here uses it with their library card but it's got tons of comics from indie labels and a metric poo poo ton of DC stuff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'd also recommend New-Superman which is a really good book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've been a bit down on JLA so far, but...
https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/status/857271015537356800

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

JLA is a good book and is the Justice League book we need.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Mr Hootington posted:

JLA is a good book and is the Justice League Batman and the Outsiders book we need.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I like the character writing for JLA but the first plot was kinda boring. Though I'm admittedly not a fan of large scale stories that Justice League books tend to go into.