Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

It is a long shot but I thought I'd try one more time.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Has anyone read a great nonfiction account of MK Ultra? I want it to be fun in the same vein as Command and Control was about the history of nuclear weapons/power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I am looking for books that are:
•Fiction
•Written in the last 30 years or so
•Not by American or British authors (but available in English)
•Preferably weird or unsettling

Woman of the Aeroplanes, by Kojo Laing
Christopher Unborn, by Carlos Fuentes
Kaddish for an Unborn Child, by Imre Kertész

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

•Fiction
The Vegetarian by Han Kang.
the Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

•Fiction

The Melancholy of Resistance by Laszlo Krasznahorkai.

The Lime Works by Thomas Bernhard (it's 47 years old, though).

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

•Fiction

Valeria Luiselli's The Story of My Teeth is good and on the weird end of things, thought I won't call it unsettling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

•Fiction

Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic. (Written in the last 33 years, close enough right?)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

•Fiction

Yoko Ogawa's Revenge and Can Xue's The Last Lover are both weird and unsettling, and good. Ditto, Hassan Blassim's The Iraqi Christ. Mayra Montero's Dancing to "Almendra" gets freaky and brutal, Álvaro Mutis's Maqroll novellas are great, but more dreamlike than unsettling. Also, seconding Han Kang's The Vegetarian.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

•Fiction

Jose Saramago. Blindness is great, The Double and All The Names are really good too.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Jose Saramago. Blindness is great, The Double and All The Names are really good too.

I read and liked Blindness, but my biggest complaint was Saramago's baffling portrayal of women as a weird race of saintly sex dispensers. I recognize that everyone was portrayed in a pretty stylized fashion, but I was left wondering if he had ever met a woman, or if he'd just researched the noble creatures.

Is his other stuff any better, in that respect?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
no not really.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

saintly sex dispenser

mods please change my name

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

I read and liked Blindness, but my biggest complaint was Saramago's baffling portrayal of women as a weird race of saintly sex dispensers. I recognize that everyone was portrayed in a pretty stylized fashion, but I was left wondering if he had ever met a woman, or if he'd just researched the noble creatures.

Is his other stuff any better, in that respect?

All of his women are saints but some are also horny

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

•Fiction

Battle Royale?

Your post made me realize how few books I've read that meet these conditions and I'm stoked to check out some of the other recs

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Lawen posted:

Battle Royale?

huh. I didn't know Battle Royale was adapted from a novel, I thought the manga was the original. How closely does the movie follow the novel?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't read it for years but from what I remember it fleshes out a few peoples back stories but is otherwise pretty identical to the movie.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2017

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

•Fiction

anything by Haruki Murakami.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

Which of his works are closer to Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Which of his works are closer to Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World than The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle?

1Q84

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

murakami is an honorary anglo american, and hence doesn't meet the conditions

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Koburn posted:

huh. I didn't know Battle Royale was adapted from a novel, I thought the manga was the original. How closely does the movie follow the novel?

I haven't read the manga so Sakurazuka's answer is probably the right one but I watched the movie then read the novel and, while I liked them both, I liked the novel a lot more because the characters were much more fleshed out and I was much more invested in them (before their inevitable demise).

Then I rewatched the movie and liked it even more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A human heart posted:

murakami is an honorary anglo american, and hence doesn't meet the conditions

What?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It means he doesn't like him.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Does anyone have any recommendations - fiction or nonfiction - for novels on the rise of the right wing in Japan, post World War 2?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Pre-modern" (1700s?) Vietnam or Cambodia or Malaysia? Preferably approachable non-fiction, but I'd take a sufficiently historically detailed piece of fiction.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Any suggestions for Gothic fiction along the lines of The Monk by Matthew Lewis?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oliver Reed posted:

Any suggestions for Gothic fiction along the lines of The Monk by Matthew Lewis?

Vathek, Beckford
The Castle of Otranto, Walpole
The Mysteries of Udolpho, Radcliffe
Carmilla, le Fanu
Melmoth the Wanderer, Maturin
Wuthering Heights, Bronte (legit read WH if you haven't already)
Manuscript Found in Sargossa, Potocki
Les Chants de Maldoror, Lautréamont. this owns incredibly hard and i highly suggest checking it out, if only for its opening line:

quote:

May it please heaven that the reader, emboldened and having for the time being become as fierce as what he is reading, should, without being led astray, find his rugged and treacherous way across the desolate swamps of these sombre and poison-filled pages; for, unless he brings to his reading a rigorous logic and a tautness of mind equal at least to his wariness, the deadly emanations of this book will dissolve his soul as water does sugar.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 23, 2017

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Vathek, Beckford
The Castle of Otranto, Walpole
The Mysteries of Udolpho, Radcliffe
Carmilla, le Fanu
Melmoth the Wanderer, Maturin
Wuthering Heights, Brone (legit read WH if you haven't already)
Manuscript Found in Sargossa, Potocki
Les Chants de Maldoror, Lautréamont. this owns incredibly hard and i highly suggest checking it out, if only for its opening line:

Wonderful; thanks a lot!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am looking for books about subcultures and like, decay/problems in Japan. People falling through the cracks of the system, stuff not working, social ills. Some books of the sort I'm thinking of I've read recently are Speed Tribes, Japanization, and Dogs and Demons. The Spike Japan blog is also the same category I have in mind.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 24, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
what are some of y'all's favourite essayists

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not sure how else to describe it -- can anyone recommend something along the lines of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations or the Tao Te Ching, but for a young teen/low literacy reader?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SJ Perlman, HL Mencken, Mark Twain

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Chuck Klosterman.

the trump tutelage posted:

Not sure how else to describe it -- can anyone recommend something along the lines of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations or the Tao Te Ching, but for a young teen/low literacy reader?

The Tao of Pooh / Te of Piglet, maybe?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Diane Ackerman.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawen posted:

These are suprisingly good given the title and concept

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm looking for a book on cultural appropriation. I am not American so it'd be great if the book wasn't ONLY about cultural appropriation in the US but I'll take anything. I feel like I don't know enough about the topic and I'd like to read a more academic take on the topic.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Lawen posted:

Too advanced :(

Hoping for something more like a collection of aphorisms and/or short paragraph-length observations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Maybe try Plato and A Platypus Walk Into A Bar by Daniel B Klein?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Too advanced :(

Hoping for something more like a collection of aphorisms and/or short paragraph-length observations.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0425133656/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gCtazb4E577W7

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Canticle for Leibowitz but it ain't exactly "fun"

I'm not the guy who requested it, but I picked it up because it sounded great and it is. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Anyone have a recommendation for a fictional story about an astronaut, or astronaut training, or both? I've read the martian and seven eves.