Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Veyrall posted:

Please leave your fetishes out of this.

I'm thinking, mechanically, exactly what the missing gods may have been. I'm thinking, a 5 color one, one that can change its color identity, and a colorless one, but I don't think they can even do a colorless one since colorless cards have certain predefined spaces and limitations and flavor...

Or hey, maybe I'm overthinking the cycle and it's just not even gonna be a thing outside of the lore.

One of the missing gods was obviously purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death Bot posted:

As someone who watches a fair amount of DnT but doesn't play, I'd argue that wastelands turn some combo matchups from non-games into games, and I feel like this happens more often than the other way around just due to how many decks in the format are built knowing they might eat a few wastes and ports

Sure, sometimes your Wastelands let you play an Actual Game of Magic against something like ANT. But that's not the same as what the complaining is about, which is non-games. Even then, you're usually not Wasting them until turn 3 unless you have a Vial and you don't have a Thalia, which means you're playing against a slower draw anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New Lilli and Glorybringer are my favorite cards in forever.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Watch then shoe-horn some holy trinity bullshit like Elspeth, the Risen, her father who was the dude that did the original WOG, and some spirit god that my limited Catholic knowledge prevents me from detailing.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
The three missing gods are vintage, legacy, and extended. Bolas killed them to take their power so he could destroy standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The three gods will be that demon Liliana is after, Storm Crow, and 1996 World Champion.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Watch then shoe-horn some holy trinity bullshit like Elspeth, the Risen, her father who was the dude that did the original WOG, and some spirit god that my limited Catholic knowledge prevents me from detailing.

Get Konda in there somehow.

Konda loving rules

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The trinity is a very widespread Christian thing, not just Catholic, and a good chunk of nontrinitarian sects border on cultish fyi.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Emrakul is one of the missing gods, but the other two are Smuggler's Copter and Reflector Mage.

Tomorrow they'll make an emergency retcon to the story article to mention a fourth missing god.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

fwiw even people with a large amount of biblical knowledge barely know what the holy spirit is

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

fwiw even people with a large amount of biblical knowledge barely know what the holy spirit is

Hey folks, don't we have this new standard to talk about?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nobody's played it so it's perfect thus far. :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Siivola posted:

Its live on mtgo? Is that nobody?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nobody's complaining so either it's perfect or nobody's playing, and I know which I'd bet on. :v:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It occurs to me that bouncing a Trial, say Of Ambition with a cartouche will trigger Revolt, so I'm taking a look at a BW Revolt deck with Displacer. Also inclined to look at Zombie tribal and BW walkers, since I like the new Liliana and hope Sorin is playable again.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I hope censor in a format w/ taplands makes tempo good again, that is all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Religionchat seems way more interesting

Can someone explain monophosytism to me, I still don't understand the difference between Catholicism and them that started leading to the schism

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Siivola posted:

Lots of people; its on MTGO already.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

One of the missing gods was obviously purple

Anchorite, the Unmoving

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

black potus posted:

I hope censor in a format w/ taplands makes tempo good again, that is all.

It's kinda funny how much better Censor plays than it looked. Cycling 1 on a force spike variant is real good.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Look I'm not saying that I want eldrazi back and I'm not saying that they will be back, but wizards having "3 missing gods" and Nissa saying the one she spoke with felt like Emrakaul, and wizards trying to push a half arsed story line with recurring things almost fits too well.

I don't think that Wizards would bring them back this soon, but it wouldn't be too bad to have a nod to them on every plane here on out if only to drive home the fact that they're almost omnipotent and have a presence on every plane.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Niton posted:

It's kinda funny how much better Censor plays than it looked. Cycling 1 on a force spike variant is real good.

Cycling is really good and I wish it were evergreen. Amonkhet having cycling and two flashback style mechanics has me genuinely excited to draft which hasn't been true since like I dunno RTR or something.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
All I want to do in this dumb game is put things into my graveyard, and then take them back out of my graveyard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

Cycling is really good and I wish it were evergreen.

It makes even the shittiest or most niche card so much better because it gives it a baseline value.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Quick rules question, if I hit a walking ballista and an eternal witness off of collected company, can I return the ballista (which dies immediately) to my hand with the witness trigger?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I was sorting cards with friends at a shop the other day and Mind Twist came up (due to great new art). I've always thought that it should be unbanned in Legacy and the only reason it's on the ban list is due to traumatic memories from childhood, but my friend did bring up that mind twist in storm decks could give them another angle to trap opponents.

Since so much of storm's game is trying to bait out countermagic, mind twist might make it too easy for storm players to give their opponent a lose/lose proposition, like force this and then die, or let it resolve and lose your force. I dunno, was anyone around to play with mind twist in a competitive fashion?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Scry by itself would be fine as the evergreen draw smoothing mechanic if they'd put it on more than handful of (almost nearly all blue) cards each set.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Niton posted:

Shame it's not common, it would be nice to play instead of daze.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

suicidesteve posted:

Sure, sometimes your Wastelands let you play an Actual Game of Magic against something like ANT. But that's not the same as what the complaining is about, which is non-games. Even then, you're usually not Wasting them until turn 3 unless you have a Vial and you don't have a Thalia, which means you're playing against a slower draw anyway.

I'm positing that wasteland creates more games than it ends, just shut up and be agreed with Steve!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

black potus posted:

All I want to do in this dumb game is put things into my graveyard, and then take them back out of my graveyard.

You've been able to do that for like a year

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

uninverted posted:

Quick rules question, if I hit a walking ballista and an eternal witness off of collected company, can I return the ballista (which dies immediately) to my hand with the witness trigger?
Yes. State-based actions happen before triggered abilities go on the stack.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

uninverted posted:

Yes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just want to open the cat lord in my first pack of a draft and force cat tribal. Bonus points if I get an Oketra.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Siivola posted:

Nobody's complaining so either it's perfect or nobody's playing, and I know which I'd bet on. :v:

Is cat already banned on MTGO or does it not take effect there until Friday?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Is cat already banned on MTGO or does it not take effect there until Friday?
That's a very good question! I'd assume it goes into effect along with all the other bans.

But I don't know, I just shitpost here.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I feel like Silkwrap should have been included in the set just for flavor reasons. Or Linenwrap :v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm legit sad we didn't get a Swords // Plowshares.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PJOmega posted:

I'm legit sad we didn't get a Swords // Plowshares.

hopefully they print Mouth // Mouth next set.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

You've been able to do that for like a year

Baby I've been able to do that since Alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

hopefully they print Mouth // Mouth next set.

rear end

Create a White 4/4 Donkey token.

Mouth

Create a Green 3/3 Hippo token.