Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ante posted:

Do this, it's the best method I've found, and you don't have to use the garbage Arduino IDE or too may hacks
https://www.losant.com/blog/getting-started-with-platformio-esp8266-nodemcu

One more thing is that some versions of the NodeMCU use a CH340G chip to bridge USB - It's the largish black rectangular chip near the USB port. If it says that part number, you may need to Google for drivers.

Thanks! Got everything set up and flashed the Hello World program. Thought I'd screwed up everything because the light wasn't blinking and Atom's serial monitor spit out errors, but connecting via the OSX terminal did the trick and everything was working as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

xtal posted:

I want to stop using Raspbian for my little projects and switch to using plain Linux with init=myprogram and no process management. Is there anything that exists that takes in a binary program and gives me a bootable Linux image with it as pid 1? (Would it be helpful if I made it or are there better ideas?)

What exactly do you want to do? I guess you want the core services of the Linux kernel and nothing else or something? Or are you looking at using it as an overblown uC or a quasi RTOS?
It's probably no use to you but there's Ultibo. It's kind of a framework for writing your own embedded stuff on a Pi. But it's Pascal.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

General_Failure posted:

What exactly do you want to do? I guess you want the core services of the Linux kernel and nothing else or something? Or are you looking at using it as an overblown uC or a quasi RTOS?
It's probably no use to you but there's Ultibo. It's kind of a framework for writing your own embedded stuff on a Pi. But it's Pascal.

Easier to translate into Ada that way!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

eschaton posted:

Easier to translate into Ada that way!
What's a language generation between friends?

So this is only sort of related, but I was messing around with my Orange Pi PC that is running Armbian Jessie with a legacy kernel (so hardware support but age and OEM shittiness). Past a certain window size X gets slow when it comes to window dragging. I was looking in the XFCE settings to try to change it to window outline style dragging and found the compositing desktop option. Expecting it to poo poo itself in an interesting way if enabled, I enabled it.

You know what? It loving worked. I turned it back off again because there's bound to be some horrible side effect but it made everything more responsive and dragging windows worked perfectly even with larger sizes.

Probably a silly thing to be amazed by but I never thought of a compositing window manager working on an ARM SBC.

So RPi related content. My Zero is out of commission because the mini HDMI adapter fell apart. The Pi B is acting a little "off". I caught it with a couple of corrupted characters on a window title. Uh oh. The Pi 3 with the DAC and the tube preamp: Haven't been using it for reasons that aren't even clear to me.

Something I do want to know with the RPi(x), is whether SDL can go xorg-less and just run in the framebuffer like OpenGLES can? It'd be awesome to have some ported things which don't have to deal with the overhead of xorg. And for some bizarre reason I'd love to run NetSurf framebuffer version fullscreen. I guess I miss the awkwardness of using Arachne in DOS in the '90s on super lovely hardware.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

General_Failure posted:

lol, it's hard to believe someone came up with the idea of using Pascal of all things on a project started so recently that it targets the Pi.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

Basically an overblown Arduino, I want the kernel and standard library but to control pid 1 and process management. I don't have any specific projects in mind for this, I just want to experiment with running my services that way and deploying them by reflashing the SD card.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

xtal posted:

Basically an overblown Arduino, I want the kernel and standard library but to control pid 1 and process management. I don't have any specific projects in mind for this, I just want to experiment with running my services that way and deploying them by reflashing the SD card.

Buildroot might do what you want (though I've never used it to make a pi image, but there seems to be people who have from a quick google). It lets you configure every part of the root filesystem.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Can you easily install Android on a Raspberry Pi 3 to use mostly the Google Play Music app with a 3.5 inches touchscreen display? Kinda like having an extra phone around?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

internet inc posted:

Can you easily install Android on a Raspberry Pi 3 to use mostly the Google Play Music app with a 3.5 inches touchscreen display? Kinda like having an extra phone around?

This thing on GitHub seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
It's in my options but then I thought I could also use Plex which also works on Pis but Android does it much better than either of these, I think. And more.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

internet inc posted:

Android on Pi3 is a thing but it kind of sucks. It's in a pretty similar state to Android on x86 where there are a few random somewhat insular projects, often out of Asia, that coordinate on Yahoo or Google groups and don't really have a critical mass of developers.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

wolrah posted:

Android on Pi3 is a thing but it kind of sucks. It's in a pretty similar state to Android on x86 where there are a few random somewhat insular projects, often out of Asia, that coordinate on Yahoo or Google groups and don't really have a critical mass of developers.

Bah! :(

Guess I'll use an old cellphone or that Play Pi thing. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Android on x86 is well-supported these days at least as a development environment. Intel clings to it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The problem with Android on any Raspberry Pi is that the GPUs are way too old and slow for current versions of Android to be happy with, and when you force it to work anyway you get a pretty choppy experience.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Android on x86 is well-supported these days at least as a development environment. Intel clings to it.

Android on x86 phone SoCs and the related Android Emulator are not what I'm referring to, I mean Android on generic PC hardware, which for some reason is apparently a lot harder than it seems like it should be.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drivers, I assume.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out RemixOS for Android on generic PC hardware: http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone able to comment on the quality of the Raspberry Pi camera module? I'm considering setting one up as a security camera. I intend to use https://kerberos.io/ as the software. I want it to be able to actually see defined features on someone's face. It's really common here for people to have a video camera running and it looks like someone smeared vasoline over the lens so it's impossible to see features and identify a criminal.

Ironically I'm doing this because someone broke into my house and stole a few Raspberry Pi I had laying around in addition to some other assorted poo poo.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

YouTuber posted:

Anyone able to comment on the quality of the Raspberry Pi camera module? I'm considering setting one up as a security camera. I intend to use https://kerberos.io/ as the software. I want it to be able to actually see defined features on someone's face. It's really common here for people to have a video camera running and it looks like someone smeared vasoline over the lens so it's impossible to see features and identify a criminal.

Ironically I'm doing this because someone broke into my house and stole a few Raspberry Pi I had laying around in addition to some other assorted poo poo.

If you want to set it up in a room it's perfect for that. I've done the exact same thing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's not going to be good enough quality to make out features on someone's face though, it only captures video at 1080p and has a somewhat narrow field of view. Mounted up in the corner of a room you could probably see what's happening inside it, but not much more than that.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

YouTuber posted:

Anyone able to comment on the quality of the Raspberry Pi camera module?

Literally just set up motionpi with the original mk1 pi cam I had hanging around.

It's bad for low light handling and FOV but is very decent for well lit narrow areas or indoors.

I'd recommend buying the newer non-IR filtered wide angle sensor cams which are now available plus one of the cases which have camera mounts on them.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It'll be outside so I guess I'm going to need a real USB camera instead of the Pi stuff.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Just use an IP camera and be done with it. Raspberry Pi's aren't reliable enough (IME) for that kind of usage.

You can get decent IP cameras on Amazon for ~$50. Better ones are around $100. By the time you buy a Pi, a camera, power supply, an SD card, and a case, the IP camera is a better deal.

Just set up your router to reject all internet traffic to/from the camera.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PBCrunch posted:

Just set up your router to reject all internet traffic to/from the camera.

Well that isn't fun. Who is going to scream at your kids then?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Moey posted:

IP cameras have microphones too!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Moey posted:

DaddyOfFive has some spare time now

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Something's bothering me. I'm using a Seagate Backup Plus drive, or something like that. This issue isn't specific to the particular type of USB drive anyway. It's done it with a different model Seagate and a 60GB USB ATA notebook external HDD thing.
Any USB HDD I have plugged into the Pi 3 seems to make a "tink!" every so often even when completely inactive. I haven't seen that behaviour with anything else. What the hell is the Pi 3 / Raspbian doing? There's nothing relevant in dmesg.

It's an externally powered desktop drive so it's not a power issue. It also works fine with the Orange Pi Zero,Orange Pi PC and Orange Pi PC2. I swap SBCs a lot depending on what I'm doing.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is it the hdd heads parking? I had an Ubuntu system like 8 years ago that was super aggressive with its head parking settings, and I had to futz around with hdparm to get it to quit doing that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

The problem with Android on any Raspberry Pi is that the GPUs are way too old and slow for current versions of Android to be happy with, and when you force it to work anyway you get a pretty choppy experience.

This got me wondering, and yes, at least one person has gotten Android running on the Jetson TK1

y'know, just in case anyone wanted to pay $200 for an Android SBC. I bet that might actually perform OK though. If not, well, the Jetson TX2 is only $540! 256 cores of Pascal goodness...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I think a Zero-w would make a great cheap AirTunes server, but I'm going to need to find a different way to get analog audio out than this pi-hat.

Holy hell 2vdc of offset on both channels.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend some good Pi and Scratch tutorials suited for kids. My 9 year old wants to get into programming and I want to teach him teh basics adn Scratch is pretty sweet. But I'd like some lessons so we can work on things together at his level. The "android flashing antenna" from the Pi resources page was right down his alley (I wired it up and explained the code to him as we did it together.) I'm wondering what stuff in scratch there's out there for him so we can walk thoruhg some lessons.

I dug into node-red a bit but I think that's going to be a bit above him for now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How's the performance on the Adafruit 5V cooling fan? I'm thinking about picking one up for my RetroPie setup... since it's getting to be summertime in my unairconditioned apartment, the thing is running hotter than usual.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A heatsink will be a vast improvement. Get the fan if the sink isn't enough.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Arrow hosed up processing my free Raspberry Pi 3 promo order so they're giving me a free Zero W. Anyone know where to get the absolute cheapest 2x20 header for it? I don't feel like paying Adafruit $5 for that.
Or at least some kind of very minimalist kit that includes the header.

edit: after using different search terms I found this

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 14, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Adafruit wants $5 for 100 mil pin headers :psyduck:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Arrow hosed up processing my free Raspberry Pi 3 promo order so they're giving me a free Zero W. Anyone know where to get the absolute cheapest 2x20 header for it? I don't feel like paying Adafruit $5 for that.
Or at least some kind of very minimalist kit that includes the header.

edit: after using different search terms I found this

That's probably the cheapest you'll find in a 2x20, but you could just get one long strip and trim it down to size. I have a bunch of strips that are like 40-50 long and I just break off strips of 20 when I want to work on a new pi zero.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, it doesn't matter if you have to double them up if you're just going to solder them down anyway, too.

Here is enough for 20 Raspberry Pis for $0.74
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-40Pin-2-54-Single-Row-Pin-Male-Header-Connector-Strip-for-Arduino-Prototype-Shield-DIY/1927041331.html

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

BattleMaster posted:

Adafruit wants $5 for 100 mil pin headers :psyduck:
They actually only want $0.95 but cheapest shipping is $4.50 for me. Kind of kills the price.

I didn't think to buy single row header because I'm dumb, but thankfully I'm lazy too so I'm not too put out over it

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
For whatever it's worth, Adafruit sells a lot of stuff through digikey, so when I want an oddball Adafruit product I often toss it in with my next digikey order to save on shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm basically a know-nothing, but it seems like the Zero W would have been better served by an edge connector like what you see on PCI cards or whatever. Then you could just slide headers or whatever module right on the thing.

Am I wrong?