Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i purposely wear shirts that are too small and only wear them straight out of the dryer so that wrinkles never become an issue.

although i realize now that all i have done was trade one problem for an entirely different, and possibly worse problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
HOT GUN

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I love how, of the three incorrect guesses for "largest flat fish," two of them weren't even flat fish.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a fish nerd so I don't know what a flat fish is

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Goddamnit, the last few days have just been perfect for me in terms of questions and categories that are right up my ally. That could have been me up there, unconsciously swaying side to side and running the fish category.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ein cooler Typ posted:

To be fair, it's exactly what it sounds like: a fish, that is flat.

I can understand not getting the right answer, but tuna and grouper were really far off -- to the point I'm not sure why they would buzz in on the question.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Maybe they heard "fat" fish.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why was a Jedi playing last night?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

surely you know what a flounder is.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

surely you know what a flounder is.

The only reason I know flounders are flat is because I've had pan fried whole ones at numerous Chinese banquets with family, and you can plainly see that the eyes are both on the same side (and delicious).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i blame little mermaid for naming their obviously not a flounder "flounder".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i blame little mermaid for naming their obviously not a flounder "flounder".
clearly named for flounder the action, not flounder the fish

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Troy was a tool, but he got completely boned on his Daily Double in Double Jeopardy today. The category was state capitals (not initials), the answer was something like "these two capitals have months in their names." Juno was one of the correct responses, but Juno's only a month if you're going by the Roman calendar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It does have a month in it if you spell it Juneau :ssh:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
owned

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's okay, Timby. We all make mistakes. :unsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

haveblue posted:

It does have a month in it if you spell it Juneau :ssh:

gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

clearly named for flounder the action, not flounder the fish

i know but he's a fish so it's gonna confuse the little ones.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Come on, Trebek, I ain't got time today for any clickbait bullshi-- hold up, what?!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Uhh, I'm by no means a Spanish speaker, but just having the first line of Tale of Two Cities in Spanish isn't really a great FJ...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't know how hard that FJ would be if you don't speak Spanish, but you really ought to know that Don Quixote was not TRANSLATED into Spanish.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Sweet Lord those FJ answers

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
You'd think they could pick a date in which a President was actually inaugurated. Probably not gonna be an even number.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
The gap between election and inauguration makes it easy to forget that. Like if the election happened in January and inauguration was in April or something, I don't think people would gently caress it up nearly as much.
Still, if you're on Jeopardy, it's a thing you should keep in mind.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Seeing as none of those geniuses really knew who Tolkien was (the one guy only got it because the first guy just went R. R. Tolkien, AND I'm pretty sure he said Tolking and got away with it) I'm not really that surprised.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
I did a double-take when I heard Alex read the clue about Alma Moreno, the "sex goddess of cinema". I thought Jeopardy kind of avoided that kind of stuff, it was pretty funny to hear my dad start to say the answer and then stop himself.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"I got 99 problems and a bitch ain't one" - Kanye West, apparently.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

funktopus posted:

I did a double-take when I heard Alex read the clue about Alma Moreno, the "sex goddess of cinema". I thought Jeopardy kind of avoided that kind of stuff, it was pretty funny to hear my dad start to say the answer and then stop himself.

What was the clue wording?

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

What was the clue wording?

"Once the 'sex goddess' of this country's movies, Alma Moreno was elected to its Parañaque City council in 2007"

Not super racy, but it's weird to hear Alex say the phrase "sex goddess".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

holy gently caress what a game that one was

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hell of a second round comeback, I am rooting for him now

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If he wins he's going to have a heart attack on air though haha

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that was one of the coolest comebacks I've ever seen

dude looked like he was really struggling not to cry too

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So my 9th grade English teacher is in the semifinals of this tournament and it's extremely dope

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm glad this player won. Been rooting for him since that comeback in his first(?) appearance.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was gunning for Nan but that was a well-earned victory

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
"U.S. Cities
In 2015 it returned to the list of the 50 most populous U.S. cities, 10 years after dropping off"

I love Final Jeopardy questions like that. If you were alive and able to understand important events in 2005, you could reason that one out. Jeopardy needs more clues like that, and fewer like "did you pay attention in Art History?" or Shakespeare categories every other day.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 20, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm glad someone got it wrong because I was worried it was too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

funktopus posted:

"U.S. Cities
In 2015 it returned to the list of the 50 most populous U.S. cities, 10 years after dropping off"

I love Final Jeopardy questions like that. If you were alive and able to understand important events in 2005, you could reason that one out. Jeopardy needs more clues like that, and fewer like "did you pay attention in Art History?" or Shakespeare categories every other day.

They tend to do those in Final, when you have more time to think it through. I agree that it was a great clue - I said Detroit before catching myself.

Great final. So happy for David who paid off that amazing comeback in the semis. I was also Team Nan but I can't even be mad.