Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Rexides posted:

Where are you downloading it from? It seems that they have stopped doing "official releases", and the best way to get a version that works with the latest patch is to download the latest master directly: (https://github.com/CQUI-Org/cqui/releases , click link that says "nightly")

I was getting it from the workshop. I think it said weekly on it. Will try the github when I get home. CQUI was working for me after the Australia patch, but this is the first I've tried play since Greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

markus_cz posted:

Is is typical for Mac to receive everything with such a delay? I mean in other games.

I think what's happening is that Firaxis is sending the patch files over to Aspyr when they release the patch/DLC, instead of, y'know, planning these things so they can release content simultaneously across all platforms.

I'd still rather deal with this crap than not have a Mac port at all, though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Aerdan posted:

I think what's happening is that Firaxis is sending the patch files over to Aspyr when they release the patch/DLC, instead of, y'know, planning these things so they can release content simultaneously across all platforms.

I'd still rather deal with this crap than not have a Mac port at all, though.

Yeah, every other game I play gets patched day-of on Mac (Kerbal Space Program, Sunless Sea, EUIV). Granted that's not a huge sample but those games are also released by the dev studio to Mac and not outsourced to a third party like Civ 6 is.

If I remember correctly there would be MONTHS of lag between patches on Windows and Mac on Civ 5 so this is better I guess?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm playing Alpha Centauri for the first time in a long time, and man this game hasn't aged well. I think I still prefer Beyond Earth by and large.

Although the AI seems as bloodthirsty as the Civ6 AI. The Manifold Caretakers annihilated Morgan Industries, then attacked me (Data Angels). So I eradicated the Caretakers. Then the Cult of Planet wiped out the Human Hive. Then the Cult of Planet attacked me. So I wiped out the Cult of Planet.

Planet's reduced to just the Data Angels (me), Peacekeepers, and Spartans, and the Spartans are irritated with me for my SE settings. I'm wondering if I should just go for a conquest victory, or diplomatic since I now have not only all my own original territory, but all the territory that used to belong to Morgan, the Caretakers, the Hive, and the Cult.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 23, 2017

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
So, from my ongoing PYDT games I've noticed that the size of save game files varies a lot. For example, the save file for the current spring goon game is around 700KB but the one for Goon Game 3 is over 7000... and another one from a random game I joined is almost 10MB now. :psyduck:

All 3 of those games are around the same number of turns by the way.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a cure for the hang on barbarian turns?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baron Porkface posted:

Crap cities all over your land so they can't spawn.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Turn off barbarians.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tenzarin posted:

Crap cities all over your land so they can't spawn.

You can also post units out there to keep an eye on things, in case you don't want to put more cities in frozen wastelands.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo the Mausoleum of Halic is insane! I just got double battleship and double promotion from 2 admirals and destroyed Spain around 1300. Hahahaha so much for that armada invencible.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

turboraton posted:

Holy poo poo the Mausoleum of Halic is insane! I just got double battleship and double promotion from 2 admirals and destroyed Spain around 1300. Hahahaha so much for that armada invencible.

Yeah, that's a loving insane wonder. I got Leonardo Da Vinci in my latest game and got TWO tech boosts and all my workshops give +2 culture because I activated him twice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

prefect posted:

You can also post units out there to keep an eye on things, in case you don't want to put more cities in frozen wastelands.

Those are the barbarian watch cities. Plus they can all make a market and a trader. Long live beyond earth 2.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

First time playing with Norway and having a fantastic time with their ability. Playing on a TSL Earth map it's fun to steal workers and settlers from the English mainland. Just like history!

I am now assembling an armada of longships to raid the newly discovered continent of Africa and going to steal myself a ton of Africans to work the barren northerns lands.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Norway is probably among the worse Civs all in all but they are a hell of a lot of fun to play on an Island Plates map. Or any map where one can make good use of the Longships.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So my LAN games are resyncing every 2 or 3 turns, with the only active mods being 'NQUI' and 'Unique District Icons'- has anyone experienced a similar issue? I don't understand why a UI mod would be causing such issues. It starts occurring about 150 turns in on standard speed, and wasn't fixed by reloading or restarting.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 27, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Is this game good yet or am I still supposed to wait for Firaxis' usual 2-3 xpac cycle for civ games?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Is this game good yet or am I still supposed to wait for Firaxis' usual 2-3 xpac cycle for civ games?

Yes, you need to wait for three expansion packs, just like every other civ game.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

It's playable. If that's sufficient for you, go buy and play it.

If you're looking for 'créme de la créme', on the other hand, you might want to wait.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I think it's worth the full price at this time.

Although I have yet to complete a game after 300 hours of playtime! I keep on getting distracted by other things in my life and when I return, I usually start a new game instead of continuing.

I should probably stop playing on Marathon.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

It's a great game. The only serious complaint I see is about the AI not being competent enough... but then, you may say this about basically any strategy game.

I haven't finished a game either, though. :) I keep starting new ones.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

John F Bennett posted:

I think it's worth the full price at this time.

Although I have yet to complete a game after 300 hours of playtime! I keep on getting distracted by other things in my life and when I return, I usually start a new game instead of continuing.

I should probably stop playing on Marathon.

The endgame is (for me, at least) usually the least fun part, so I don't finish games that often.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Agreed. I like the exploration at the beginning and shooting arrows into barbarians. And more recently, capturing civilians as Norway.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 27, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

prefect posted:

The endgame is (for me, at least) usually the least fun part, so I don't finish games that often.

The only "Civilization" feature it's currently missing is the World Congress (or something equivalent). Everything else that was added as an x-pack feature in V has been here since launch.

For me, my only gripe right now is how long turns take. Sometimes I forget what I was even doing with my units between turns.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Civ VI has all the ingredients really, it's just that it doesn't quite work as it should yet, most notably the AI which is in many ways, pretty broken. And I don't mean that as "it's kinda crappy at times", I mean that in some cases it really is broken.
I'm sure they will improve it but I don't think they'll reach a level with it that I will find satisfactory (Civ V didn't).

I also think that the game will benefit from some more oomph in the late game, such as a World Congress.

But yeah, other than that, in terms of mechanics and features, there's a lot to like in it IMO. Civ IV is still easily my favorite but I like VI more than V by quite a lot (though I like the look of V much more).

Especially now with mods coming out, Civ VI can be a pretty great time.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
After putting a lot of time into V, I really like districts/wonders and making my cities look cool in VI that I probably won't go back, but am very much looking forward to some expansions to smooth out bits of the game. Also adding a goddamn production queue gently caress

I'm playing my second game as Japan with the intention of a domination victory but it seems that growing a massive army and rapidly settling cities has stolen the hearts of Kongo, Arabia, Scythia, and India. Even Rome who hates me keeps complimenting me and I'm not sure who to run over first.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Also adding a goddamn production queue gently caress

CQUI is love. CQUI is life. Install the CQUI.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Whatever it is you are looking for, you shall find it in CQUI.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Didn't realize that could be added with a mod, definitely will pick it up

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

No, it's bad.

Too much is broken and every game feels the same.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I mean it's already better than Civ V + all expansions was. I definitely don't regret the purchase.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I think one of the elements that's missing is the bonuses that specific buildings give. This was a problem with Civ V in the beginning, before the expansions. Buildings within districts (which take way too long to build btw) don't boost local resources, but instead give a flat increase. Things like a granary don't give +1 food to wheat, or stables giving +1 production to horses.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trivia posted:

I think one of the elements that's missing is the bonuses that specific buildings give. This was a problem with Civ V in the beginning, before the expansions. Buildings within districts (which take way too long to build btw) don't boost local resources, but instead give a flat increase. Things like a granary don't give +1 food to wheat, or stables giving +1 production to horses.

Personally I'm glad that part of the game is gone. I'm already building an improvement, why do I also need to build a building to bring a resource up to its "true" yield? If anything I'd prefer if they used buildings to allow a city to get some sort of benefit from a resource you have access to, but is not necessarily in the same city.

I mean I could see making buildings do more and be more interesting than just "+X Flat Yield", but I don't really like that part of V's design.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Agreed. I like the exploration at the beginning and shooting arrows into barbarians. And more recently, capturing civilians as Norway.

The biggest problem with every Civ game for me has been the slog of the end game -- it's always the same. That's the part I'd want them to address in an expansion or the next iteration: give me interesting civ-specific activities for the late game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

homullus posted:

The biggest problem with every Civ game for me has been the slog of the end game -- it's always the same. That's the part I'd want them to address in an expansion or the next iteration: give me interesting civ-specific activities for the late game.

I think this is going to be an issue with any strategy game like Civ; if you add too much shake-up to the late game it has the potential to undermine strategy by invalidating hundreds of turns of planning and effort. You have to be careful with that stuff so it doesn't feel cheap or random.

Civ has been trying to find that mark I think with the addition of activities/features that unlock later in the game like archeology, Tourism, ideologies, etc. but all of those have been pretty hit or miss with the playerbase it seems.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

homullus posted:

That's pretty much never going to happen in any reasonable way because it's a hell of a lot easier to playtest and fine-tune the early game than it is to do the same for the mid- and late game. Unfortunately.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Trivia posted:

True. That was some kickass patch and some fella here has tried to recreate it with its "wondrous wonders" mod.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So, Civ V veteran here, just started playing Civ VI these last few days.

When will Firaxis learn that leaders randomly interrupting you with irrelevant declarations is a bad thing? I want the next turn ready when I come back from taking a dump, not a full screen leader screen with some dumb poo poo like "la la la my civ is better than yours/waaaah you make too much war".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Civ6 is like a 'on earth' version of Beyond Earth. I don't know why they pushed these Beyond Earth traders so hard back into this game. Traders are so hard for the computer, they cant even use them right!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
If a modder could dump all obnoxious leader calls to a small popup on the side of the screen, I'd be forever grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aerdan posted:

That's pretty much never going to happen in any reasonable way because it's a hell of a lot easier to playtest and fine-tune the early game than it is to do the same for the mid- and late game. Unfortunately.

Can you maybe say more about that? I don't see why that would be true. Units and techs already have costs, and late-game unique play would affect things that have known costs.