Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Yesss.....they are becoming sentient.

obligatory fat woofer

Hastings fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/857619846883946496

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

clockworkjoe posted:

My fear is Trump and Price sabotage the ACA so badly that it will be essentially repealed anyway. Then they'll offer a similar lovely plan to the AHCA that is an improvement over the heavily sabotaged ACA and try to use that as a bludgeon against the Democratic party.

This is basically what's gonna happen. All this whinging over the current attempt at passing the AHCA is a smokescreen to hide Price gutting the ACA. We're fighting the wrong battle.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So just straight up admitting that death is preferable than living under republican rule. Well at least they are being honest about it at least.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The GOP healthcare plan:

deathiscertainwizard.png

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

This is basically what's gonna happen. All this whinging over the current attempt at passing the AHCA is a smokescreen to hide Price gutting the ACA. We're fighting the wrong battle.

It's not a smokescreen, it's Trump refusing to accept a loss and screaming at the GOP to keep trying until they get it right. They'll try to gut it anyway, but this is not a calculated maneuver.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Lol at people with substance use problems spending $20,000 per year on healthcare. This plan will preserve Medicare solvency the hard way.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/857782117287301120

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Insurance companies don't have to pay out poo poo if they don't want to and there is virtually nothing that can be done to stop them from breaking their contractual obligations.

quote:

LA Times Article: http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-healthcare-crazy-insurance-system-20170428-story.html

He's covered, he makes his payments and his insurer still drags its feet

Most attention on the healthcare front has been focused on Republicans’ single-minded efforts to eviscerate Obamacare. Largely overlooked has been the frustration Americans with employer-based coverage often face in dealing with tight-fisted insurers.

For the roughly 150 million workers and family members covered by employers, healthcare all too frequently is an obstacle course of denied claims, bureaucratic headaches and go-slow tactics intended only, or so it seems, to boost insurers’ bottom line.

Eagle Rock resident Peter Vandeventer is a good case in point. For months he’d been doing battle with Health Net, which covers about 3 million Californians.

The Woodland Hills company dragged its feet in paying hospital bills that accrued after Vandeventer’s son was attacked in New York and required extensive facial-reconstruction surgery.

Vandeventer contacted me after being informed by a doctors’ group at the hospital, New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, that it was done trying to squeeze money out of Health Net. The hospital told him it would instead hold his son responsible for thousands of dollars in outstanding bills.

“These bills aren’t our responsibility if we’re insured,” Vandeventer, 64, told me. “I’m getting screwed around and I don’t like it.”

He’s president and chief executive of a Los Angeles organization called Community Partners, which helps nonprofit groups get off the ground. He and nearly four-dozen staffers, along with family members, have group coverage through Health Net.

I think Health Net is delaying this because that’s just how they do business.

“I checked on how how much we pay to Health Net annually,” Vandeventer said. “Last year it was $362,000 in total premiums.”

Not the sort of customer you’d think a major insurer would play games with. Yet that’s what he said was happening.

Vandeventer’s 21-year-old son, Ethan, a Fordham University student, was hit from behind and knocked out in September while walking in the Bronx. It was apparently a robbery attempt, although the young man wasn’t carrying a wallet or any valuables at the time.

After regaining consciousness, Vandeventer said, his son made his way to his apartment and tried to sleep off the attack. By the next day, it was clear he was in bad shape.

He went to Fordham’s emergency medical services office, which took one look at his swollen face and transported him immediately to New York-Presbyterian/Columbia.

The young man required more than three hours of surgery to repair his shattered right cheekbone. The medical care was excellent and a full recovery is expected.

Vandeventer said Health Net had no problem paying about $4,500 for most of the emergency-room procedures. However, the insurer was balking at the $5,000 anesthesiology tab.

Vandeventer called the hospital’s billing department and learned that Health Net first had insisted that the bill contained an incorrect code. A new bill was submitted. Then, he was told, Health Net contended it never received the second bill, even though it was sent by registered mail.

Vandeventer reached out to Health Net for some answers. He said no one could tell him why the anesthesiology bill remained unpaid.

I fared no better. Brad Kieffer, a Health Net spokesman, declined to discuss Vandeventer’s situation with me, even though both Vandeventer and his son had submitted privacy waivers granting him permission to do so.

“I think Health Net is delaying this because that’s just how they do business,” Vandeventer said. “I think their routine is to wear down the medical service provider to the point where they’ll say, ‘OK, we’ll take whatever.’”

John Romley, a healthcare economist at USC, said that even though New York-Presbyterian/Columbia is an out-of-network hospital for Health Net, “emergency care is usually the least contested.”

Like Vandeventer, he speculated that Health Net may have been deliberately tapping the brakes to try to get a lower price from a facility it has few dealings with.

“If they don’t have a lot of business there, they don’t have a lot to lose,” Romley said.

I don’t think any of us would mind if such money-grubbing was confined to the corporate players in the drama. But it’s not. Vandeventer’s son was caught in the crossfire.

If the hospital turned over its bills to a debt collector, the young man could see his credit score get trashed.

This is an example of healthcare consumers doing everything right — they’re insured, they’ve never missed a payment, they’ve helped expedite the billing process — and still being punished because the hospital and insurer can’t agree on who gets the bigger pile of cash.

It’s also an example of a business apparently only doing what’s right after the prospect of a public shaming arose.

The day after I contacted Health Net, Vandeventer received a call from a senior dispute-resolution official at the insurance company informing him that the anesthesiology bill would be paid immediately.

A spokeswoman for the Columbia doctors’ group subsequently confirmed to me that a payment was in the works.

Again, this isn’t a story about problems with Obamacare. This is America’s primary form of health insurance — employer-based group coverage — coming up short for customers in good standing.

And this isn’t just about the Vandeventers. I’ll bet many people reading these words have had some beef with a health insurer at some point, despite dutifully paying all premiums and deductibles.

As Vandeventer told me, patients should never have to fight fair treatment “when that should be the presumption.” And he asked: “What about the family less knowledgeable and for whom navigating a corporate bureaucracy is unfamiliar or intimidating?”

Sadly, that’s what our profit-hungry healthcare system is counting on.

This is a HUGE problem for smaller local hospitals and private practices that don't have an army of lawyers on staff. Lets say you are a private practice physician that does everything by the book, follow your patient's and all patient insurance company guidelines for documentation of an appointment/procedure, follow the coding guidelines of an appointment/procedure, maybe even follow Medicare guidelines which are the strictest guidelines for reimbursement and what every private insurance company partially models their payment structure after. You see your patient, evaluate/treat your patient, submit all the correct ICD codes and documentation, and submit a claim to the patient's insurance company for payment. You then receive a fax a day later saying "PAYMENT DENIED".

What can you do?

1) Bill your patient directly which typically means the patient will just go to collections, never pay you anything, and you end up providing hundreds to thousands of dollars of testing and care essentially for free.

2) Nothing.

There is no enforcement, oversight, or regulation process ensuring that insurance companies hold up their end of the contract with the patient and with the provider. They don't have to pay anything if they don't want to and the only way to make sure they do is to sue their asses. The problem is, no individual patient can typically front the money for a prolonged legal battle with a massive corporate insurance company and no private practice doctor/small hospital can do so either. Lately, many private insurance companies have been taking advantage of Trump's rhetoric and have been denying claims outright just because they know there will be no recourse.

Example with terrifyingly enough, minimal hyperbole:

"Hi, I'm some dumbshit rep with FYGM insurance. I see you submitted a claim to get paid for an office visit and the claim was denied. Even though your patient has had COPD for the past 15 years, has had prior testing confirming the diagnosis, has been actively treated for years, and COPD by definition is a chronic, permanent affliction, we are not going to cover your office visit, the patient's medications, etc. because maybe the COPD fairy came along and the patient is now cured. Also, we need updated imaging and lung function tests done to cover COPD-based care but we're not going to cover those tests either because that kind of stuff is only approved for people who have active COPD which your patient may or may not have. Also, we're just going to ignore NIH, WHO, and AMA guidelines+recommendations completely which specify in great detail what testing must be done to properly diagnose a condition and what treatments must be provided to optimally treat a condition because we have someone on staff with a masters degree in psychology that says COPD can be effectively treated with Tylenol. And gently caress you, give us more money."

Medicare, an evil bloated inefficient GUBMUNT program, is actually more efficient and is paying providers better than many private insurance companies. They even have a nice appeals process with denied claims and pretty much cover everything as long as their guidelines are met.

Now if you're part of a massive hospital group with a colossal law team on staff, these assholes will be less likely to pull this kind of poo poo, but not always as in the above article.

How can these companies be held accountable? Free market bullshit doesn't work here:
"Well, I'm gonna quit my job and get a new job because my employer sponsored plan is with Anthem and Anthem loving sucks. That'll show em! O wait, every employer in the state has a plan under Anthem. Well, I'm going to move to a different state and get a new job because Anthem sucks! The free market works!"

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 28, 2017

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The best thing to do would be to get rid of margin billing so insurance companies can't gently caress over the people they're supposed to be insuring

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Avalanche posted:

The problem is, no individual patient can typically front the money for a prolonged legal battle with a massive corporate insurance company

Why on earth would they be fronting costs? Bad faith claim denial is like the poster child for getting a plaintiff side firm salivating over a contingent fee contract. Insurers are one of few entities that regularly get dinged with hefty punitive damages even in states with really conservative or hostile juries. Is there something different about the medical context?

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 28, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

eviltastic posted:

Why on earth would they be fronting costs? Bad faith claim denial is like the poster child for getting a plaintiff side firm salivating over a contingent fee contract. Insurers are one of few entities that regularly get dinged with hefty punitive damages even in states with really conservative or hostile juries. Is there something different about the medical context?

There's an awful lot of ways to drag your feet, no standardized recordkeeping protocols so proving bad faith is incredibly hard, and it turns out betting on sick/dying people not having enough energy to exhaust their legal options is a lot safer than you'd expect.

At the end of the day, if I told you 15% of the time you spun the wheel you made 100K, 83% of the time you lost a couple thousand bucks worth of employee time, and 2% of the time you lost 400K, you start spinning that wheel and you don't stop spinning it any time soon. There's a reason for the direct relationship between number of claims denied and executive compensation in the health insurance industry.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Medicare FFS denies just as many claims as other insurers, and I've never seen any evidence that shows insurers deny more claims when they have a profit motive (insured plans) versus when they don't have a profit motive (employer self-funded plans).

For some reason my google skills are failing to find an AMA Health Insurer Report Card that's more recent than 2012, but those tend to have good stats on claim denials

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

esquilax posted:

Medicare FFS denies just as many claims as other insurers, and I've never seen any evidence that shows insurers deny more claims when they have a profit motive (insured plans) versus when they don't have a profit motive (employer self-funded plans).

For some reason my google skills are failing to find an AMA Health Insurer Report Card that's more recent than 2012, but those tend to have good stats on claim denials

Medicare and.medicaid have better and easier processes to contest care denials, though. Or at least they did in the past, they're kinda getting cut apart.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Yeah, I know all that. You see things like that in lots of individual insurance markets. It doesn't explain why a firm would refuse to handle it on a contingent fee contract.

e: some quick googling is finding me plenty of firms scattered around that claim expertise in the area of health insurance coverage litigation and are advertising on a contingent fee basis.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

esquilax posted:

Only one state mandates that insurers back up their numbers with anything more than "we say so," and it's Vermont. Law went into effect back in 2013.

Miraculously, overnight Cigna's claim denial rates went from a claimed 2% to 21%. Funny how that happens.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Medicare and.medicaid have better and easier processes to contest care denials, though. Or at least they did in the past, they're kinda getting cut apart.

I thought I read somewhere that the ACA's external review process was working pretty well. If the new process has been shown to be insufficient or biased I'd definitely be interested in reading more.

Maybe that only applies to patients though, not sure about the initial process on the provider side.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, I know all that. You see things like that in lots of individual insurance markets. It doesn't explain why a firm would refuse to handle it on a contingent fee contract.

e: some quick googling is finding me plenty of firms scattered around that claim expertise in the area of health insurance coverage litigation and are advertising on a contingent fee basis.

This is assuming people realize they can go to a lawyer, do in fact manage to contact said lawyer, and explain themselves well enough to said lawyer that he or she takes their case. None of those are given, and statistically the insurance industry profits at each hurdle, because each hurdle causes a certain percentage to stumble.

Our legal system shuffles a lot of costs onto those least able to bear them, by design.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think I'm missing where your article says the 2 to 21% thing. Not that the the high administrative denial rate isnt terrible in itself.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

This is assuming people realize they can go to a lawyer, do in fact manage to contact said lawyer, and explain themselves well enough to said lawyer that he or she takes their case.
I'm not assuming any such thing because I am not suggesting that civil litigation is an adequate fix.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think insurance companies often get to be the Boogeyman in these kinds of discussions. We in the US are taught from a young age that doctors and healthcare providers are altruistic and always have the patients' best interests in mind, and so they tend to get passed over when discussing why healthcare costs so much in the US.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

eviltastic posted:

Maybe Texas is different but several years ago I tried to find a lawyer for this. It is incredibly hard to find one who does the work and none of them would work on contingency. I seem to remember being told by a couple that here they can't get enough from the insurance companies, beyond what they are supposed to pay, to pay for their time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dalstrs posted:

Maybe Texas is different but several years ago I tried to find a lawyer for this. It is incredibly hard to find one who does the work and none of them would work on contingency. I seem to remember being told by a couple that here they can't get enough from the insurance companies, beyond what they are supposed to pay, to pay for their time.

Insurance is mainly regulated by the states so of course you're getting hosed in Texas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

silence_kit posted:

I think insurance companies often get to be the Boogeyman in these kinds of discussions. We in the US are taught from a young age that doctors and healthcare providers are altruistic and always have the patients' best interests in mind, and so they tend to get passed over when discussing why healthcare costs so much in the US.

Docs and healthcare providers are scum (like all humans), but there are more functional medical institution regulatory structures, and it's often easier to spot physician harms when they operate within an institution. State level physician regulation is definitely a gaping hole, though. The direction of interests is such that individual hospitals are rarely true moral monsters as overarching institutions. That tends to be 1. individual people at the middle level operating hospitals, and 2. the ancillary systems that crop up in badly regulated states, like emergencyurgent care clinics, and some ambulance systems. And of course state legislators.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I would not be surprised at all if the primary direct cause of most improper denials was simple confusion and staff improperly trained and applying incorrect standards.

But there is no incentive to fix such issues if their existence is profitable.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I would not be surprised at all if the primary direct cause of most improper denials was simple confusion and staff improperly trained and applying incorrect standards.

That is a common problem in the industry right now. Providers have zero incentive to fix lovely and inaccurate billing systems when they can externalize the cost by having patients go through the process of resolving the problem.

Medical billing is a huge cluster gently caress because until the ICD10 rollover a huge number of providers had created their own coding systems. The lookups and crosswalks between their internal systems and the ICD9 payers were using was garbage. Hopefully forcing native compliance should resolve those issues.

In time forcing everyone to use the same code set should and finally digitizing should resolve most of those problems.

Shocking as it may be but even in 2008 most of the billing side in hospitals was still done on dead trees.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's worth noting that a lot insurers will deny by default any claim with even a slight error on it and since they don't have to send a remittance until the claim is clean and truly paid or denied the doctor is basically the one stuck talking to random insurance staff until they figure out what was wrong with the claim.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

This is me right now. I'm being denied an emergency visit for antibiotics and pain medicine for a mouth infection that flared up. I have a separate dental plan and had scheduled a dental visit the next day but the pain became unbearable late in the night. For a doctor to look into my mouth for 3 minutes and write the prescription I now look at paying the full $450 for the visit. Had the pain came from another region it would be fine but the mouth counts as dental which isn't part of my employer's plan, yet the drugs were covered...

So yeah, and this is with the essential health benefits we already have. Just imagine the shitshow if AHCA gets passed.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I wonder what happened to this: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/319314-right-set-to-fight-back-on-town-hall-protests

quote:

FreedomWorks, the Tea Party-aligned outside group, beginning next month will be organizing rallies and urging its nearly 6 million activists to turn out at town hall events to ensure members of Congress are also getting an earful from ObamaCare detractors.

“There will be more grassroots hand-to-hand combat than we’ve seen in Washington for a long time,” FreedomWorks President and CEO Adam Brandon said Monday during an interview in his office near the Capitol.

“The conservative [lawmakers], they need to see us out there pushing. And if they see that, they’ll be bold,” he continued. “If they don’t see grassroots there on the ground, they’ll start slipping.”

Could the tea party be slipping in power and influence?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

clockworkjoe posted:

I wonder what happened to this: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/319314-right-set-to-fight-back-on-town-hall-protests

I'm sure conservatives will have a lot to say about these literally paid protestors

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

cis autodrag posted:

It's worth noting that a lot insurers will deny by default any claim with even a slight error on it and since they don't have to send a remittance until the claim is clean and truly paid or denied the doctor is basically the one stuck talking to random insurance staff until they figure out what was wrong with the claim.

But that's fair because the doctor's office usually submitted the claim, so the mistake is quite probably their fault.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

There were a couple of decent articles on this, but the short form is that the Tea Party as a coherent political entity died and died ugly around the 2012 elections, replaced by the Tea Party as lucrative grifting opportunity. There's nobody giving the Freedom Caucus marching orders beyond a vague sense of fundamental malevolence.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ogmius815 posted:

But that's fair because the doctor's office usually submitted the claim, so the mistake is quite probably their fault.

It's really dumb game playing poo poo a lot of the time though like "ssn address and birthday match but you spelled it Shawn instead of Sean in the name field so gently caress you waste lots of time fixing this."

If they only denied for significant errors I'd agree with you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cis autodrag posted:

It's really dumb game playing poo poo a lot of the time though like "ssn address and birthday match but you spelled it Shawn instead of Sean in the name field so gently caress you waste lots of time fixing this."

If they only denied for significant errors I'd agree with you.

They claimed my doctor only said I had arthritis so they just assumed it was rheumatoid and refused to give me the medication I'd been prescribed for my psioriatic arthritis. This went on for like 4 months until my doctor managed to hammer into the insurer what I had.

HAP was not eager to have to pay out for humira pens, no sir.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Night10194 posted:

They claimed my doctor only said I had arthritis so they just assumed it was rheumatoid and refused to give me the medication I'd been prescribed for my psioriatic arthritis. This went on for like 4 months until my doctor managed to hammer into the insurer what I had.

HAP was not eager to have to pay out for humira pens, no sir.

Sounds like your insurer was pretending the last icd 10 deadline extension didn't happen. I work in the industry (on claims software. Yeah I feel bad every day). There's a laundry list of bs errors they can play games with if they feel like it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cis autodrag posted:

Sounds like your insurer was pretending the last icd 10 deadline extension didn't happen. I work in the industry (on claims software. Yeah I feel bad every day). There's a laundry list of bs errors they can play games with if they feel like it.

That was like 2 years ago, and the nice part is as soon as I got the stuff it basically turned me from crippled to 'I can't do a pushup but I can do everything else' so that's been nice. Also, you gotta make a living.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Night10194 posted:

That was like 2 years ago, and the nice part is as soon as I got the stuff it basically turned me from crippled to 'I can't do a pushup but I can do everything else' so that's been nice. Also, you gotta make a living.

Yep, they were definitely ignoring the icd 10 extension.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

Yep, they were definitely ignoring the icd 10 extension.

You're saying that the insurer caused this mess because they truncated the input to just "arthritis"?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hobbesmaster posted:

You're saying that the insurer caused this mess because they truncated the input to just "arthritis"?

For reference, each month's supply of this drug costs 6000 dollars from my pharmacy, so by managing to deny me for 4 months my insurer saved 24,000 dollars.

I mean, I assume that's why they do that because every single financial incentive in insurance is to cover as little as possible as infrequently as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't they required to pay out 80 percent of premiums as healthcare anyway? How do they meet that standard while doing this?