Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but how can it be considered close air support if we're flying at 30,000 feet above sea level? That don't seem close to me.

:ninja:edit I'm loving retarded. CAP is Combat Air Patrol.

Well, that, but also, a plane 6 miles up is closer and faster to respond than artillery 10 miles behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
With precision guided weapons you can be very close from 6 miles up.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Popete posted:

At the risk of this becoming the Bacarruda plays CMANO thread I'll vote for Double The Numbers. It's nothing against you Bacarruda, you make good plans but I feel like we gotta mix things up introduce some chaos.

Popete has a pretty good point. To spread the love around we're going to have a new rule, no consecutive missions from the same Goon. This'll come into play after the next mission. Said goon can still advise, just no "proper" plan. I'm not sure this'll impact the end result too much, most of the plans are pretty similar.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

quote:

I never really knew what this would be like when I signed up. Sure, on some level I understood that war wasn't anywhere near as flashy as Hollywood had made it seem, but nothing prepares you for how... well, immediately, things happen in this modern era. A missile is fired, there's a long wait for it to travel to its target in this BVR-allowed theater, and then a few very tense seconds while you wait to hear whether it hit. And then it's all over. There's no long, drawn out dogfights. No one-upmanship of piloting. Hell, even this outfit's two recorded air-to-air guns kills had one of them be the jet equivalent of shooting a man in the back. Though they don't advertise that fact in the job posting.

"Space Case, Fox Three!"

But here I am sitting in a UCAV trailer, calling out "I-Spy, Meat, contact, bulls 35 for 62, four T-55s" all day like it was going out of style so the guys running the Argus AEW control system could map out targets for the ground strike birds. Owing to the immediate needs of this hiring they hadn't had time to do much real training for those of us without a real military background and instead one of the Argus guys threw a book at me - literally, threw it - containing a bunch of the brevity code in use here. I'm still trying to remember even half of this poo poo and instead I'm listening to the guys actually up there doing their best not to get completely rolled over by this S-300 SAM site the Bulgarians set up on the front line. These two in that Phantom had the balls to launch a missile while dodging a SAM! Am I a coward for staying back here while they risk their lives? Or am I just the only sane one?

"Eidolon, Rifle!"

I barely had time to think about it when the Reaper spotted something.

"I-Spy, Meat, contact, bulls 27 for 93, missile". The call wasn't so different from the past 20 or so I'd given, but the response sure was. "Meat, I-Spy, clarify contrail size". The gently caress? That one wasn't in the book! At least not the parts I'd read so far. "I-Spy, Meat, uh, medium?" The Argus guys didn't question it. Presumably trying to vector whatever unfortunate pilot that thing was headed for away from it. While the Reaper was great for spotting things, the Argus' radar was far better for determining heading. I flipped through the book they'd left me. No, there was not in fact a table anywhere of "expected missile contrail sizes". How do you even learn this? How did they learn this?

"Nails, Rifle!"

By this point I'd long ago received the order to fall back, the area was too hot. Of course, this is an aircraft based around flying itself, so that really just meant punching in a waypoint and making sure it didn't fly itself into a mountain or do something else dumb. So now comes the boring part, watching the relay from the Argus giving me context for what's going on. Well, boring for me. Goddamned terrifying for the guys up there, I assume, given that SAM was still online since the failed Taurus strike on that S-300... Growl? Grumble? Who names these things?

"Space Case, splash one Frogfoot" "I-Spy, confirmed, contact lost"

How'd I get used to this already? Flying this drone remotely desensitizes you to combat even faster than actually being the one to sit in the cockpit and pull the trigger. Nothing has consequences down here. Hell, I can go step out and get a coffee if I wanted. Hopefully the Argus boys wouldn't ask for me in the interim if I did. With the SAM still operational, it had been a total cluster up there, and I'd had to clarify some contacts the radar couldn't quite identify at long range. The optics on this Gorgon Stare system are seriously unbelievable. I'm not sure I'll ever get over that. I could probably see my house from here if the Earth was flat. I thought about that coffee again, but before I could get up the radio was immediately filled with Meteor launch calls from two Gripens that had just returned from refueling and suddenly found five hostiles in front of them.

The moment of silence following their calls was longer than anyone knew.

"Nails, I-Spy, contact lost, please respond".

Did we lose another one?

Eidolon, Nails' wingman, responded there was no visible contact. That's a fifth member of this outfit we've lost in two sorties. Someone had decided to have a Hawk prosecute an attack in an area guarded by an S-300, and this was the result. Over just like that. No dramatic last stand, no heroic effort, just one more plane and its pilot gone.

And I'm sitting here in this air-conditioned trailer thinking about coffee.

What kind of rear end in a top hat am I?

Apologies if I'm taking too many liberties with the other pilots! But I'm pretty sure this is pretty much a literal version of what happened, so I think I'm okay. If I got any part of the calls wrong, well, we're a bunch of badly-trained mercs.

Also I made some final tweaks to Double The Numbers' orders and drew up a basic map.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i at least hope that bac continues to make briefings and the thread continues to doubler them with ace combat music even if it isn't his op

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

UberJew posted:

i at least hope that bac continues to make briefings and the thread continues to doubler them with ace combat music even if it isn't his op

Agreed! It's those little things that help set the tone.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

power crystals posted:

Apologies if I'm taking too many liberties with the other pilots! But I'm pretty sure this is pretty much a literal version of what happened, so I think I'm okay. If I got any part of the calls wrong, well, we're a bunch of badly-trained mercs.

Also I made some final tweaks to Double The Numbers' orders and drew up a basic map.

This is a Good Post

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Peanut's Mercenary Report posted:

//: BEGIN REPORT

So we had to spend a butt load of time just hovering around doing dog tracks over Angola since we couldn't blow up one measly SAM site! Let me tell you, those SK60's don't have a ton of leg room! If I wanted to be stuck in a trainer all day, I would have just taken that instructor billet for my shore rotation! Can we look into getting an L-159 or something with more space?

Anyways....

I had some spare time as we did areal doughnuts, so I did some more digging online and found a few more mercenary companies out there. These make up the last of the so called "bigger" companies unless my Google-Fu failed me and I missed one or two. Bear in mind that in the current global climate there are hundreds of mercenary companies out there, its just that most of them are small time operations, maybe a dozen dudes with a technical or a yahoo or two who decided to strap a rocket rack to a Piper Cub. Even with cheap gear, having a halfway decent company costs a lot of cheddar.

These are the three I found out more about...

While many nations in the world followed the United States in the gradual legalization of private military companies and other mercenary organizations, one notable holdout was the United Kingdom. Citing mercenary work as “immoral”, “unethical” and “unbecoming of citizens of the United Kingdom”, Parliament passed a law outlawing the creation of PMCs in the nation. The one exception was the preexisting [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atholl_HighlandersAtholl Highlanders[/url], who were granted a special written dispensation to continue operations as their existence would have technically violated the new anti-PMC law.

Taking advantage of this legal exception, AugustaWesterland, BAE, Rolls-Royce and a number of other industries around the UK began to invest in the Atholl region of Scotland to build up the Highlanders from a ceremonial guard unit into a fully-fledged private military organization. Parliament could do little as the investments helped to revitalize many smaller parts of Scotland, and the SNP threatened another reddendum if London tried to put a stop to the spending.

In just a few short years, the Highlanders have gone from a small company of a couple dozen private guards into a virtual army unto themselves. With several regiments of foot and squadrons of aircraft at their disposal, the Highlanders have served in a number of engagements around the world, most recently serving with distinction in Queen Maude’s Land. The Highlander’s airforce is versatile, capable of operating interception and ground attack missions with equal impunity. In terms of work, they tend to be like the Americans,' working more with close allies and "respectable" organizations and governments, but considering their size, rumors abound about less....tasteful work, but nothing concrete exists.

The Swampy River Boys

With the legalization of private military contractors, the various state governments of America were left with a unique opportunity. Thanks to a loophole in the law, state governors were allowed to mobilize their forces for private contracting work so long as it was outside the contiguous United States. This would be first demonstrated when the State of Michigan took a long term contract with the Kingdom of Jordan to provide CAS support in the nation’s war against ISIS. The money was used to plug a number of financial needs in Detroit and Flint.

Seeing an opportunity, Governor Homer “Big Pappy” O’Brian, acting on the advice of his adviser (and former singer) Odysseus McGabbard decided to try and get in on the PMC game to bring his state some much needed money (and to beat that snake in the grass Plato Smokes in the 2020 state election “lack of job creation my behind!”). Unfortunately, the Mississippi National Guard lacked an actual combat air wing, so O’Brian phoned his old fishing buddy and neighbor Governor of Louisiana Lonnie Lee Long to form a joint venture. Long, who needed funds to build a new bridge over Lake Pontchartrain happily agreed. Officially dubbed the 1st Joint State Wing, the company soon took on the informal name “Swampy River Boys” due to the company’s deployment in the Mekong Delta to a contract helping the Vietnam People's Air Force. Having just rotated out of guard duty in the Gulf of Aden, the Boys are ready and eager to take on a new job, and Big Pappy needs a fat new contract to buy the misses a new wardrobe.

The Swampy River Boys, like most American PMCs provide cutting edge equipment that is well rounded and versatile. They are willing to take most contracts, but like the other American PMCs, eschew more morally dubious one due to image concerns, Big Pappy can’t take a bad publicity hit in the polls!

La Légion Sans Frontières, or simply La Légion is a French mercenary unit composed of veterans and survivors of mercenary companies who for one reason or another, have either disbanded or been destroyed in the course of their history.

In the whirlwind of the 2019 laws legalizing mercenary work, many early companies were composed of only a handful of men and women with whatever weapons or equipment they could scrounge. Corporate backing of companies and the support or larger financial institutes was not forthcoming as many were uncertain about how effective mercenary companies could be and how much they could get away with. New startups emerged by the dozens and even hundreds in some regions. It was in the crucible of Libya that many companies were broken. Due to the chaotic civil war, rebels, proxy governments and various multinationals farmed out contracts to the new companies looking to make a name for themselves as a premier PMC. As a result, many new companies fought one another, destroying much of their precious equipment and killing the scant handful of people employed. In those days it was not uncommon for a new company to be formed at the start of the week and be destroyed at the end of it.

The scattered survivors of more than two dozen mercenary companies in one way or another found themselves in Sidra when word of a massed ISIS attack was announced. Several ships transporting a large amount of Dassault equipment to Egypt were at risk of capture. Desperate to avoid such a PR disaster, Dassault put out a call to any mercenary willing to help defend the city. The scattered mercs all answered the call, in a bar they modified a French Foreign Legion flag for their own use, slapped it onto the equipment they had and sallied out to the city’s defense. It took three weeks of vicious fighting but the attack was repelled. The surviving mercenaries became overnight celebrities and Dassault sensing an opportunity teamed up with Nexter Systems to formally sponsor the group (and advertise their own military wares to the world). Today the Legion continues its tradition of recruiting from other mercenary companies and from the world’s militaries operating as a flexible response force willing to work in the roughest of environments.

They still also proudly display the flag they drunkenly made on that fateful day in Sidra.

That's all I have for now, 'll keep digging though, but the internet if full of a lot of weird pictures and stories. I blame those drat weirdos in the Free State, you start talking mercenary stuff and next thing you know they're all trying out out meme each other with Metal Gear references. drat fedora wearing vapers! We'd better kick their behinds out of this country.

Peanut out!

://END REPORT

emormu
Jan 16, 2012
Voting for Operation Grognard

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Let's give this thing a name. Since we're taking out an SA-10 Grumble...Operation Grognard

Looks good! I'll chime in and vote for Operation Grognard.

My only criticism is that after the troubles Yooper had with no-navigation zones, I think we should try using mostly prosecution areas in order to leash aircraft. Stick the no-navigation zone over just the Free State, instead... and maybe tiny little 10 mile bubbles around SA-2 and SA-3 sites that we don't want to go after just yet.

Planes assigned to a air warfare patrol (CAP) or anti-surface patrol (CAS) will rarely go outside their patrol and prosecution areas, so that would be a pretty good substitute for what you've been calling no-fly zones in your missions and briefings.

Edit: Partially overlapping prosecution areas also provide a good way for both a west and east cap.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 28, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I put it in spoiler tags before but just to reiterate, if I can get added to the back of the pilot list I think Hammer would like to get revenge for his brother Nails (in an F-35 of course).

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Psawhn posted:

My only criticism is that after the troubles Yooper had with no-navigation zones, I think we should try using mostly prosecution areas in order to leash aircraft. Stick the no-navigation zone over just the Free State, instead... and maybe tiny little 10 mile bubbles around SA-2 and SA-3 sites that we don't want to go after just yet.

Planes assigned to a air warfare patrol (CAP) or anti-surface patrol (CAS) will rarely go outside their patrol and prosecution areas, so that would be a pretty good substitute for what you've been calling no-fly zones in your missions and briefings.

Fair enough. I'll leave it up to Yooper for how he wants to stop our aircraft from going on cross-border adventures.

A no-go zone in spirit, if not in code.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Now that I'm finally getting a chance to see the video of the mission... we got a precise fix on that SA-10 a lot more easily than I was expecting.

Trying to get that exact fix was what I was worrying about, and why I was planning to expend the Sperwers on that. If it turns out that existing assets are able to fix the SA-10's exact GPS coordinates without sending the Sperwers to their deaths, I hope Yooper doesn't suicide them off anyway :v:.

Bacarruda posted:

A no-go zone in spirit, if not in code.
Yeah, exactly.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

power crystals posted:

Updated just because. Main differences vs. Grognard:

This all seems reasonable Double the Numbers

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Psawhn posted:

Now that I'm finally getting a chance to see the video of the mission... we got a precise fix on that SA-10 a lot more easily than I was expecting.

Trying to get that exact fix was what I was worrying about, and why I was planning to expend the Sperwers on that. If it turns out that existing assets are able to fix the SA-10's exact GPS coordinates without sending the Sperwers to their deaths, I hope Yooper doesn't suicide them off anyway :v:.

It's your plan, so I'll leave the final Sperwer call up to you?. Do you want to delete the Sperwer or leave it in?

The Gorgon Stare on the Reaper did great work last time and spotted the S-300 without difficulty. I figure we should leave the spotting duty up to it.

e: there's also the option to re-task it somewhere else on the map.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 28, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bacarruda posted:

It's your plan, so I'll leave the final Sperwer call up to you?. Do you want to delete the Sperwer or leave it in?

The Gorgon Stare on the Reaper did great work last time and spotted the S-300 without difficulty. I figure we should leave the spotting duty up to it.

Leave it in and send it scouting the western side of the map, north from our airfield. Positive recon on that area can't hurt.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mllaneza posted:

Leave it in and send it scouting the western side of the map, north from our airfield. Positive recon on that area can't hurt.

Yeah, I feel like we'd get some good mileage from additional recon assets, but let's fly the ones we have somewhere.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Double the Numbers
Means Double the Fun
And Double the Pleasure
Of Shooting Them Guns

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

I figure leave it in. I'm just hoping that "Sperwers aren't allowed to RTB until the SA-10 site is fixed" translates to an interpretation that allows for "Sperwers RTB as soon as the SA-10 site is fixed, even if they weren't the ones who saw it."

Outside of situations where we're okay with risking losing them, I find they're just too slow to be useful for scouting. If they survive this mission I'd really want to look into loaning them out to von Hoff's troops since they can do more good work for them than they can for us, and I don't think we'd miss them at all. Not only do we have the MQ-9, the S 100B gives some really good ELINT, and the Litening targeting pods on their own are pretty much equivalent to a Sperwer's optics.

Edit: All this time I've been referring to the Sperwer in the plural. We don't have more than one anymore, do we? :v:

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 28, 2017

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Can I just say wonderful LP Yooper and if you ever need an eastern european accent for some briefings than I'm more than happy to record some stuff

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, I feel like we'd get some good mileage from additional recon assets, but let's fly the ones we have somewhere.

The important eyeballs will be on the Bulgarians. We'll need good spotting to get the armored and mechanized units.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Psawhn posted:

Edit: All this time I've been referring to the Sperwer in the plural. We don't have more than one anymore, do we? :v:

I'm pretty sure we lost one on the last operation, but Yooper hasn't posted the losses and weapons expenditure from that mission, yet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OK, I'm guessing from the latest update from Von Hoff that this means we can't really push up on the flanks, since they've been weakened to shore up the centre. Kind of a bummer.

Fingers crossed that the Dictator doesn't capitalise on this and hit one of our flanks while they're vulnerable.

I've put some thought into an overall strategy.

As you can see here, I've added two lines. They should seem fairly self-explanatory. Ideally we want our ground forces to reach the green line, before pushing on to the purple. If we push up further to the purple in the east for instance that's OK, but they should hold position from that point, since we don't want to overextend. The Green Line is obviously our best short-term goals, since that gives 3 more mines and takes away pretty much all of their ground radar cover in the west, as well as shortening the length of the front (not be much, but every little bit helps). The purple line, is what I call the 'tipping point'. Why? Because we will at that point control the majority of Lithium mines in Angola, rob the dictator of all but two of his southerly airfields, and (unless the Dictator makes big advances in the north) most of the territory, too. We'll be in a good place to muster our strength for further northerly pushes. The dictator will probably still have a larger pocketbook than us (he still has all the wealth Angola had beforehand, natch), but I dare say there that advantage will be far reduced.

Let me know what you think.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

OK, I'm guessing from the latest update from Von Hoff that this means we can't really push up on the flanks, since they've been weakened to shore up the centre. Kind of a bummer.

Fingers crossed that the Dictator doesn't capitalise on this and hit one of our flanks while they're vulnerable.

I've put some thought into an overall strategy.

As you can see here, I've added two lines. They should seem fairly self-explanatory. Ideally we want our ground forces to reach the green line, before pushing on to the purple. If we push up further to the purple in the east for instance that's OK, but they should hold position from that point, since we don't want to overextend. The Green Line is obviously our best short-term goals, since that gives 3 more mines and takes away pretty much all of their ground radar cover in the west, as well as shortening the length of the front (not be much, but every little bit helps). The purple line, is what I call the 'tipping point'. Why? Because we will at that point control the majority of Lithium mines in Angola, rob the dictator of all but two of his southerly airfields, and (unless the Dictator makes big advances in the north) most of the territory, too. We'll be in a good place to muster our strength for further northerly pushes. The dictator will probably still have a larger pocketbook than us (he still has all the wealth Angola had beforehand, natch), but I dare say there that advantage will be far reduced.

Let me know what you think.

I'm in favor of an Eastern push. Most of the population lives in the West. It's the best place to recruit troops, building weapons, and levy taxes. If Von Hoff rules most of the people, it also gives his government more political legitimacy.

We're within reach of the crossroads city of Benguela and the second-largest deepwater port: Lobita. Taking both of them will gently caress with the Dictator's logistics. If we push in the East, we also take down the two radar stations on the coast, blinding the Dictator's Western defenses. He'll have to weaken his mobile radar coverage elsewhere to compensate. We can also grab the coastal Lithium mines and make :10bux:

And we can take away Kuito and Benuela Airport, forcing the Angolan Air Force to rely on smaller or more remote strips for air operations.

There's virtually no roads in the Eastern part of the country and the terrain NW on Menongue is riddled with rivers and swamps. You can move light infantry through pretty easily, but supplying them or giving them armor and artillery support would be a non-starter. The center of the country is flat farmland and the coat is desert -- much better terrain for offensive operations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bacarruda posted:

I'm in favor of an Eastern push. Most of the population lives in the West. It's the best place to recruit troops, building weapons, and levy taxes. If Von Hoff rules most of the people, it also gives his government more political legitimacy.

We're within reach of the crossroads city of Benguela and the second-largest deepwater port: Lobita. Taking both of them will gently caress with the Dictator's logistics. If we push in the East, we also take down the two radar stations on the coast, blinding the Dictator's Western defenses. He'll have to weaken his mobile radar coverage elsewhere to compensate. We can also grab the coastal Lithium mines and make :10bux:

And we can take away Kuito and Benuela Airport, forcing the Angolan Air Force to rely on smaller or more remote strips for air operations.

There's virtually no roads in the Eastern part of the country and the terrain NW on Menongue is riddled with rivers and swamps. You can move light infantry through pretty easily, but supplying them or giving them armor and artillery support would be a non-starter. The center of the country is flat farmland and the coat is desert -- much better terrain for offensive operations.

Sounds good to me for the initial objective. I'd still like to see us push up on the other flanks to at least the Phase 1 line, though. I figure there's no real need to push up further in the East on we reach Phase 2, but I can agree that a westward/central push should otherwise be our focus. Taking Huambo, which is not only a fairly central point on the road network but the country's 2nd city, should be another objective to take.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
You know, if we're still in the market for a cheap maritime patrol bird, how about this?

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=1781

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

If I recall correctly the S100B picked up the SA-10 battery. The Reaper identified all of the ground forces.

Psawhn posted:

Edit: Partially overlapping prosecution areas also provide a good way for both a west and east cap.

I'll do some more testing and see how closely they adhere to Prosecution Zones. If that works well I'll just the NoNav zone further off and keep it beyond weapons range from the Prosecution Zone.

FailAtMagic posted:

Can I just say wonderful LP Yooper and if you ever need an eastern european accent for some briefings than I'm more than happy to record some stuff

Oh yes. You might become one of the Ivanov Brothers... lemme know a good way to reach you.

Bacarruda posted:

I'm pretty sure we lost one on the last operation, but Yooper hasn't posted the losses and weapons expenditure from that mission, yet.

Thanks for reminding me!

Bacarruda posted:

I assume you mean Western Advance? You've got arrows in the western area heading towards Lobito.

Unfortunately there's no CMANO for Ground Units so we're forced to do what seems sensible in regard to gains made (or losses).

I'll total up votes a bit later, build the mission, and maybe run it tonight? No guarantees!

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Unfortunately there's no CMANO for Ground Units

(WinSPMBT is terrible but only thing that comes close to CMANO for ground forces)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ooooooh. I hadn't noticed that our S100B has a good ELINT capability. We should keep in mind that we can leave its radar off and pick up emitters with pretty good precision from extreme range when advantageous to not broadcast the AEW location.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Yooper posted:

I assume you mean Western Advance? You've got arrows in the western area heading towards Lobito.

You are correct. I meant west.

I'm directionally challenged. Good thing I'm not the navigator on one of our Phantoms or anything...

Yooper posted:

Popete has a pretty good point. To spread the love around we're going to have a new rule, no consecutive missions from the same Goon. This'll come into play after the next mission. Said goon can still advise, just no "proper" plan. I'm not sure this'll impact the end result too much, most of the plans are pretty similar.

Works for me! I don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes.

If you'd like, I can withdraw my plan for the running this go-around, too.

UberJew posted:

Briefings will be a thing as long as goons want them to be a thing! :hist101:

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 28, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gervasius posted:

(WinSPMBT is terrible but only thing that comes close to CMANO for ground forces)

I guess TacOps might also work (assuming that you could mix-and-match units between the OOB for a mixed unit). Assuming you could find a dedicated enough grog to run it.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 28, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Crazycryodude posted:

This is a Good Post

You're just saying that because you're in it :v: but thanks. I figure I'll keep up the adventures of MEAT as I get inspired or until people tell me to knock it off. It's probably a good thing for his sake that we're unlikely to ever want to mount Hellfires on that Reaper.

People who actually know how CMANO works, I have a dumb question: how do I get to a file browser when loading a scenario? All I can find is the list of stuff it starts you with so I have no idea how to open the thing I saved.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gervasius posted:

7.62mm Missed! X 10,000. I'm a pretty groggy dude, but even I won't give money to Shrapnel. The Tiller engine would work, but seeing as it's not universal that's out.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess TacOps might also work (assuming that you could mix-and-match units between the OOB for a mixed unit). And you could find a dedicated enough grog.

Interesting. I've never looked at the Battlefront back catalog.

...and after 5 minutes with the demo. No. It makes Gary Grigsby look like a talented UI designer.

I think we'll stick to abstracting it all.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Question: could we do a strike to try and kill the dictator, then take advantage of the ensuing chaos to move up? I'm thinking we might (*shudder*) cooperate with the Free State on this one, maybe organize a coordinated attack or getting some intel from them.

The downside* would be that we'd risk someone more competent replacing him.

* besides risking our planes being shot down, of course

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

People who actually know how CMANO works, I have a dumb question: how do I get to a file browser when loading a scenario? All I can find is the list of stuff it starts you with so I have no idea how to open the thing I saved.

I've run into this... so when you save it opens up the Save Game window and lets you choose a file location. But here's the catch, it has to be within the Cmano/Scenarios folder in order for the Load Game to find it. So when you save (or are moving a saved game) put it in the c:/steam/Cmano/Scenario folder. Once inside the Scenario folder you can add subfolders and the Load Game function will find it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

This is a Good Post

Agreed, excellent stuff.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Question: could we do a strike to try and kill the dictator, then take advantage of the ensuing chaos to move up? I'm thinking we might (*shudder*) cooperate with the Free State on this one, maybe organize a coordinated attack or getting some intel from them.

The downside* would be that we'd risk someone more competent replacing him.

* besides risking our planes being shot down, of course

We could, but it'd be difficult to pull off.

It depends on where he is and how well-defended he is.

We could be looking at an operation as simple as having the Tornadoes sneak in and fire cruise missiles through his bedroom window.

Or we could be talking about something with lots of moving parts, like this:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

We could, but it'd be difficult to pull off.

It depends on where he is and how well-defended he is.

We could be looking at an operation as simple as having the Tornadoes sneak in and fire cruise missiles through his bedroom window.

Or we could be talking about something with lots of moving parts, like this:

:pusheen:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Voting Double the Numbers.

Also now that everyone is onboard with how powerful electronic attack aircraft are, I'm lookin forward to having some Prowler bros after the next acquisition or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting is Closed

Operation Grognard is a go. Which is good as those dudes on the ground need some help. Our intel is showing a minimal air presence in the South. The Free State is pretty quiet right now. Jack also hasn't been in touch. So either he blacked out drunk, or he's working on something...