Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

inkjet_lakes posted:

***JAY KAY KLAXON***JAY KAY KLAXON***
*Throws TV out the window*

Christ, those sunglasses (in the studio) make me want to punch him even harder than Chris Evans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Eddie and Bernie is a match made in loving hell.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Eddie and Bernie is a match made in loving hell.

Seriously, wtf was that about and who thought it was a good idea to put it on TV.

That boat though....drat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that Ssangyacht

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That Eddie and Bernie thing was the worst thing ever put on television.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Using Eddie as a foil against the 3 hosts is one of the better ideas of new new new new topgear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chiwie posted:

Using Eddie as a foil against the 3 hosts is one of the better ideas of new new new new topgear.

I agree. Having him work with the other hosts is terrible because he's terrible. Having him be the villain the other hosts work against is great.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chiwie posted:

Yeah it works pretty well since it plays to the general public's perception of Eddie.

That Bernie interview was just :psyduck: as poo poo though. There's definitely a story to why that even aired.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah it works pretty well since it plays to the general public's perception of Eddie.

That Bernie interview was just :psyduck: as poo poo though. There's definitely a story to why that even aired.

Because if they didn't air it, Bernie would have given Eddie Jordan back.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I was sincerely disappointed that it wasn't Rory that was trapped in the well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That was really a wet fart of a season finale.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don't know? I liked the Cayman piece, the Shaman was cool as hell and appropriately insanely :ussr:, and the vanboat was funny especially with Eddie as the reviewer. Bernie Ecclestone can rot in hell, and Jay Jay is a pompous rear end in a top hat, but the rest of the episode was great. I really enjoyed this series and am honestly looking forward to the next one.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I wonder how Bernie convinced them to air that propaganda.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Outside of Bernie and Jay Kay, I thought it was a good episode. I actually found myself bummed that it was the season finale. Couldn't say that last season.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This was a fantastic season, and possibly better than "old" Top Gear's season two. Can't wait to see how they do over the next few years.

Am I the only one that hasn't completely warmed up to Rory yet?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rory is very much still in the making, all of them are really. Although of the three Rory seems like the weaker/safer personality, where as Joey is the obnoxious hollywood guy and Chris is the angry nerdy guy. If we were to pigeonhole them into the old trio, Joey would be the Jeremy, Chris would be the James, and Reid would be Richard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

and the vanboat was funny especially with Eddie as the reviewer.

See, the van boat did nothing for me. It was all too 'neat.'

I mean, they hired a pro to mate a pre-existing hull to the upper unibody of a van. It was neat from a visual perspective for a few minutes, but I just got bored with the segment after that.

It's not a train wreck like last season. I just don't know if it's for me though. I'll give it one more season to see if they find a groove, but I was more bored than anything else with these 7 episodes. Honestly, it's all faded already, nothing sticks out as memorable.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jehde posted:

If we were to pigeonhole them into the old trio, Joey would be the Jeremy, Chris would be the James, and Reid would be Richard.

Yeah definitely agree with this. Rory feels a little forced though, between his "every man" persona and enthusiasm for electric. Nothing wrong with electric cars necessarily but the Model X is so uninteresting, and casually mentioning the Rimac seemed pretty pointless. They could have easily done a film about it. It seems like it's more there to reenforce his persona and also for BBC to tick their electric/enviro boxes.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I kind of wish that LeBlanc used his persona as seen in "Episodes".

Also, did anyone else get a little amused at how Salty JayKay seemed when he realised that Chris Hoy beat him?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Jay Kay without a doubt trashed the interior of his helicopter in a strop on the way home after losing badly to Hoy.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Jay Kay was an arrogant twat the few times I met him in the 1990s, and he appears unchanged. I got the impression he really didn't like Matt Le Blanc.

And of course Hoy would be faster than him, the dude had an International B license and showed he was competent behind the wheel of an LMP2 car at speed.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jehde posted:

Rory is very much still in the making, all of them are really. Although of the three Rory seems like the weaker/safer personality, where as Joey is the obnoxious hollywood guy and Chris is the angry nerdy guy. If we were to pigeonhole them into the old trio, Joey would be the Jeremy, Chris would be the James, and Reid would be Richard.

I agree that Joey is totally the Clarkson but i think the other two are reversed - Chris is totally Hammond (argumentative and a little sarcastic) whilst Rory is May (relatively chill, interested in new tech and bemused by the other two).

Eddie is the used car salesman from season one and should go away.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'll offer some defense of Jay Kay. He didn't come across as being a twat, so much as being... preoccupied. Bear in mind that Toby Smith died the day after filming, and I strongly suspect he knew TS wasn't doing so brilliantly, so I'm willing to give him a pass on this one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What has been the British viewing public's opinion of LeBlanc taking over the show?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

What has been the British viewing public's opinion of LeBlanc taking over the show?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39691580

Generally positive, though it seems to be more of a 'thank god he's not that ginger twat' than an endorsement of his skills.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there a weird cultural thing in Britain that made Evans seem not terrible at everything forever when they gave him the job?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This is a good way to remember Chris Evans.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Is there a weird cultural thing in Britain that made Evans seem not terrible at everything forever when they gave him the job?

He's had a good career on BBC radio. Being in front of a camera is not a strength for him, although he did OK on The One Show.

His main problem with Top Gear was trying to outdo Clarkson by being angry and shouty all the the time. If he'd just relaxed and been himself he would have been a lot better (how much better is debatable, though). It was a bad fit.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

sean10mm posted:

He did have a certain breath of fresh air charisma 20-25 years ago when he first appeared on TV, bear in mind most prime time British shows were still pretty stiff & middle aged back then.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rory seems okay out of the studio, really stiff and pointless in. I quite like leBlanc.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Rory seems okay out of the studio, really stiff and pointless in. I quite like leBlanc.

He looks to me like a fan who won a the chance to appear in the studio in a raffle.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My take on the presenters goes something like this:

LeBlanc has "goofy likability" that mostly works, and without Evans around to piss him off he can inhabit that persona more comfortably because he doesn't want to stab the guy next to him with a rusty nail.

Reid seems like he's overplaying his over-enthusiastic everyman persona. It feels he's forcing things a bit with his presentation, I can't quite put my finger on it. He''s far from hate-worthy but he's not quite dialed in yet.

Harris might have developed the most from pre-Evans to post-Evans. He seems to wear his car nerdiness, irritability and over-competitiveness on his sleeve now, and is a better "character" for it overall if that makes sense.

https://twitter.com/BBC_TopGear/status/856222572823932930

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 26, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the problem is that overplaying their personalities is what worked for the last trio. They're trying it here, but Rory's personality is annoying and Leblanc doesn't have one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Reid is the "unknown" one, but I do find his youthful "just happy to be here" nature quite endearing.

LeBlanc seems to be pretty well liked generally, he's been doing UK TV stuff a while now, and I don't think people regard him as an interloper, which is probably important.

Harris is the hardcore car guy, and I think that comes across even to people who don't already know him from The Internet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
LeBlanc genuinely likes absurd high-powered industrial machinery and it shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Him playing with those tools/toys is the legit best part of the series right now. Everything else is borderline joyless.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Harris comes across as the Stig given a voice which mostly works.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

howe_sam posted:

Harris comes across as the Stig given a voice which mostly works.

Was there a given reason behind no longer telling us weird facts about the Stig?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some say, it was Jeremy Clarkson's gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

spog posted:

He looks to me like a fan who won a the chance to appear in the studio in a raffle.

He kind of is. He sent in a demo tape and they brought him in. Before the show he was a YouTube car person.