Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
To respond to a previous comment, if anyone is interested in what a former mall repurposed into apartments might look like, New Haven has your answer!

https://betweentworocks.com/welcome-new-havens-strangest-apartment-building/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bottomless pit of death seems like a pretty good USP.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

dont even fink about it posted:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been posted in this thread yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h78geZglBiQ&t=101s

For the most part they just sit there.
Well, this kind of covers one common trajectory of failing malls, which is that they go into terminal decline but never actually close, the rents go to the floor, they start picking up no-name tenants selling cheap stuff, open businesses concentrate at a specific part of the store while the rest is vacant. There's really no way out of that state without a massive redevelopment project to repurpose the mall though.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

To respond to a previous comment, if anyone is interested in what a former mall repurposed into apartments might look like, New Haven has your answer!

Haha I went to look at an apartment here, not realising it used to be a mall until I got to the inspection. The agent could read the :stare: all over my face it was pretty good.

Also downtown New Haven is a shithole

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

simmyb posted:

Haha I went to look at an apartment here, not realising it used to be a mall until I got to the inspection. The agent could read the :stare: all over my face it was pretty good.

Also downtown New Haven is a shithole

Downtown owns, enough that these shittacular apartments start at 1250 for a 1br. Which is amazing that anyone is willing to pay that for this place when there is an apartment building bonanza happening here.

E: most malls are not in the most downtown area of a rapidly gentrifying city though, more like suburban strip mall decay. So the future is bright for cheap and ugly housing units :v:

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Well, this kind of covers one common trajectory of failing malls, which is that they go into terminal decline but never actually close, the rents go to the floor, they start picking up no-name tenants selling cheap stuff, open businesses concentrate at a specific part of the store while the rest is vacant. There's really no way out of that state without a massive redevelopment project to repurpose the mall though.

Some are now completely abandoned and have been for many years. We have a society that since World War II was designed to have this kind of infrastructure, and in a seemingly endless era of government avoiding any serious infrastructure programs, it is up to whoever has the bill of sale to re-purpose it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Cicero posted:

As has been beaten to death elsewhere, the water issues California has mainly stem from agriculture, not residential use. Plus it sounds like we're talking about relatively dense developments, the kind that are pretty light on water anyway.

As far as transportation/infrastructure goes, same thing, denser = better. Much better to have apartment complexes in cities than push the growth to sprawling suburban tracts at the edges.

Fair enough, but you're not going to stop agriculture in the state. Given that, adding any housing can be an issue. But that's specific to California, I think.

Denser is better for transportation, but only if the cities involved actively develop the transportation modes. Southern California doesn't have the best track record of doing that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Has shoeless always sold lovely off-brand shoes? I remember them selling brand name before...But last time I stepped in it was all lovely offbrand stuff.

I think Shoeless could have done really well if they targetted an upscale market with trendy shoes. Shoe sales for urban shoes have gone up and become more popular over the past few years.

Shoeless is my favorite shoe store purely on account of the name

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want to know something that is not completely depressing that is going on with a dead mall, look no further than what has happened to Southeastern Pennsylvania's Granite Run Mall, currently being repurposed into the Promenade at Granite Run.

Essentially, the mall was shaped like an upside-down Y, with three anchor stores. The mall has gone out of business even though two of its anchor stores are still around. Also there's a stand-alone clothing store and grocery store in the mall complex that are still doing fine. This company is going to bulldoze the mall concourse and retail space that connected the anchor stores together and replace it with parking and go for sort of a mixed-use complex thing with shops and apartments peppered around the overall site.

quote:

MIDDLETOWN >> As a township resident and the chairperson of council, Mark Kirchgasser views the Promenade at Granite Run from two different angles.

No matter which approach he takes, however, he likes what he sees.

The mixed-use development of shops, restaurants, entertainment, a medical office building and apartments, augmented by the existing department stores and supermarket, is replacing the former Granite Run Mall. The highly-anticipated town center, a project of BET Investments of Horsham, is generating the type of buzz heard 43 years ago when the mall came to the site.

"I get questions all the time about when it will open," said Kirchgasser. "Whenever we (Middletown Township Republican Party) put updates on our Facebook page, we get 20 times the number of hits we usually get."

Approved by council in November 2015, the redevelopment of the 58-acre site is the culmination of a project begun two years earlier when BET Investments acquired the property. The one-time place to be after classes ended at Penncrest High School, the mall had been in decline for a number of years, unable to attract tenants and shoppers.

This will be a huge facelift," said Kirchgasser at the time of the vote. "For us, this is the beginning of something that has been needing rehabilitation since the late '90s."

The overall size of the development will be reduced from approximately one million to about 820,000 square feet. About 350,000 square feet will be devoted to retail, with an open courtyard surrounded by higher-end stores and restaurants connecting existing tenants Boscov's and Sears. A Frank Theatre Cinebowl & Grille, combining multiple screens, 10-pin alleys and a restaurant, will occupy the second floor location of the former JC Penney.

The storefronts are nearly 85 percent leased and tenants will be announced in the spring. Some retailers are expected to open late this year, while others will debut in the first quarter of 2018, according to published reports.

The stand-alone Kohl's, Sears Auto Center, Acme and PennDOT driver testing/licensing facility on the outskirts of the parcel will be joined by a 7,000-square-foot Children's Hospital of Philadelphia pediatric office.

With the demolition of the mall complete and the final land development plans filed with Delaware County, BET Investments may begin the permitting process with the township. A substantial amount of site work is underway throughout the parcel, such as retaining walls, footings for the promenade and grading for phase one of the apartments. Construction of the latter will begin with a 176-unit, four-story luxury building on the former ChiChi's restaurant pad fronting Route 352. The one and two-bedroom units, with an average monthly rental of $1,750, are slated to be available in the fall of 2018, according to published reports.

The plans show a total of 400 apartments, with the remainder being built on the Oriole Avenue side of the tract. The existing AMC movie theater will be razed.

The overall project will be completed within the recommendations of the design guidelines manual prepared by BET Investments and its engineering firm, with input from the township. The design review committee, whose members include Township Manager Bruce Clark, couinselor Susan Powell and town planner/landscape architect Tom Comitta, will serve in an advisory capacity regarding the aesthetics of the project, such as types of exterior materials, windows and roof treatments.

While the apartment dwellers will no doubt renew their driver's licenses every four years, they won't need their sedans and SUVs to navigate their environs. Promenade at Granite Run has been designed as a walkable community, surrounded by a trail connected to the township building and library. The developer is also planning to install an overpass between Acme and the apartment buildings so shoppers can easily stock up on groceries in inclement weather, according to published reports.

"The town center will provide passive transportation," said Kirchgasser. "People will be able to ride their bikes to the Elwyn train station, the future Wawa train station or Ridley Creek State Park."

For those who endured the deterioration of Granite Run Mall, watching stores close as their leases expired, the wrecking ball was welcome. As residents try to envision the actual development based on engineering plans and artist's renderings, it is an image they enjoy creating.

"The visual effect is real," said Kirchgasser. "When people look at the rubble, they can visualize what is coming."

The financial impact of the Promenade at Granite Run will begin in 2018. Council approved a 6.25-percent reduction in property taxes for the current year, decreasing the millage from 1.6 mills to 1.5 mills and the typical tax bill by approximately $20.

Past revenue from the mall allowed the township to accrue a surplus, driven by increases in real estate tax revenue and the business privilege tax, which will be applied this year. The benefit will begin again in 2018 with the property's increased assessed value and mercantile tax collected on a per transaction basis, which will also offer relief for residents on the tax burden from the Rose Tree Media School District, said Kirchgasser.

"The increased assessment and mercantile tax amounts will only get better," he added. "Late 2018, 2019 and beyond will really benefit us."

http://www.delcotimes.com/business/20170107/town-center-to-bring-new-life-at-granite-run-mall

Now I think this sounds awful but I'm not exactly sure why.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It sounds awful because they're shoving parking in the middle rather than something pleasant like a little park or recreation area of some sort.

One of the nice things of even a dying mall is that you at least have a sizable indoor semi public space and shelter between the remaining stores. Tearing out the middle for more parking completely negates anything like that.

The other stuff doing, adding medical offices and housing, those are fine. But making the center yet another parking lot? Gross.

Edit: also lol that it seems to rely on the Sears and Sears Auto to stay in business considering the sears trajectory.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 27, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want to know something that is not completely depressing that is going on with a dead mall, look no further than what has happened to Southeastern Pennsylvania's Granite Run Mall, currently being repurposed into the Promenade at Granite Run.

Essentially, the mall was shaped like an upside-down Y, with three anchor stores. The mall has gone out of business even though two of its anchor stores are still around. Also there's a stand-alone clothing store and grocery store in the mall complex that are still doing fine. This company is going to bulldoze the mall concourse and retail space that connected the anchor stores together and replace it with parking and go for sort of a mixed-use complex thing with shops and apartments peppered around the overall site.

http://www.delcotimes.com/business/20170107/town-center-to-bring-new-life-at-granite-run-mall

Now I think this sounds awful but I'm not exactly sure why.

There's so much loving parking here.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The last days of the Granite Run were extremely depressing. My LGS moved out of there.

Edit: it's across the street from a hospital so medical offices is a good idea

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
About the parking, they are talking about two department stores, a massive bowling alley, a huge movie theater, apartment buildings, restaurants, and God knows what else. But yeah, I think the whole thing sounds completely unwalkable and unsuited to any sort of experience other than park car, go to thing, leave thing, return to car.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This is just more evidence that the internet was a mistake.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Amused to Death posted:

Looks pretty inoffensive except for that inner courtyard, ugh what happened. Looks totally phoned-in.

Glass of Milk posted:

Denser is better for transportation, but only if the cities involved actively develop the transportation modes. Southern California doesn't have the best track record of doing that.
Yeah I dunno about San Diego but LA has actually been quite good about building out their rail system lately, it's just that they have a lot of catching up to do.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cicero posted:

Yeah I dunno about San Diego but LA has actually been quite good about building out their rail system lately, it's just that they have a lot of catching up to do.

Don't say this, that's how you get New Yorkers

You know what I haven't seen recently? lovely-rear end roach coaches. Now it's all these fancy, yuppified food trucks where you pay $6 for three tacos or something, instead of the 75 cents each I remember from my youth. What happened to them?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Don't say this, that's how you get New Yorkers

You know what I haven't seen recently? lovely-rear end roach coaches. Now it's all these fancy, yuppified food trucks where you pay $6 for three tacos or something, instead of the 75 cents each I remember from my youth. What happened to them?

Cities change.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cicero posted:

Looks pretty inoffensive except for that inner courtyard, ugh what happened. Looks totally phoned-in.

San Diego ain't doing poo poo - LA puts them to shame at this point.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

San Diego ain't doing poo poo - LA puts them to shame at this point.

San Diego has two massive projects right now that are a mix of highway, light rail, medium rail, and trolly lines from University up to Carlsbad.

Mid-coast and north-coast corridor

Los Angeles has been able to afford the massive jobs in progress because of Measure R.

(I worked on 3 of the large LA Metro jobs being constructed right now, and one of the large San Diego jobs)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

eyebeem posted:

San Diego has two massive projects right now that are a mix of highway, light rail, medium rail, and trolly lines from University up to Carlsbad.

Mid-coast and north-coast corridor

Los Angeles has been able to afford the massive jobs in progress because of Measure R.

(I worked on 3 of the large LA Metro jobs being constructed right now, and one of the large San Diego jobs)
Okay I'm wrong then! Guess they picked up the slack in the last couple years - last I saw the plan was like, "do something by 2035".

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I'm wrong then! Guess they picked up the slack in the last couple years - last I saw the plan was like, "do something by 2035".

The big problem is that SANDAG and Caltrans basically blew their San Diego budget for two years to fund these jobs, and it's completely stalled infrastructure spending elsewhere in the county. I work in civil construction (obviously) and we have seen a massive reduction in projects because of it.

Mid Coast :

http://www.sandag.org/uploads/projectid/projectid_250_16887.jpg

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

eyebeem posted:

The big problem is that SANDAG and Caltrans basically blew their San Diego budget for two years to fund these jobs, and it's completely stalled infrastructure spending elsewhere in the county. I work in civil construction (obviously) and we have seen a massive reduction in projects because of it.

Mid Coast :

http://www.sandag.org/uploads/projectid/projectid_250_16887.jpg
Still not quite walkable from where I used to live, but a nice looking improvement for sure.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

Converting a mall into residential isn't really practical, converting it into office space probably is though.

Warehouses and self-storage. Where I'm originally from a place that was a small strip mall-ish thing (it was like 6 stores so I don't know if it really counts) is just storage now. Companies rent it intermittently if they need to temporarily store a K-Mart worth of poo poo for whatever reason.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Warehouses and self-storage. Where I'm originally from a place that was a small strip mall-ish thing (it was like 6 stores so I don't know if it really counts) is just storage now. Companies rent it intermittently if they need to temporarily store a K-Mart worth of poo poo for whatever reason.

I see those seasonal Halloween and Christmas stores pop up in dead strip malls around Baltimore every year. And fireworks stands in the parking lots around the 4th.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I know of at least one big box store that went out of business, then the local county government bought it on the cheap, redid the interior a bit, and moved every last one of their offices in there (except the courthouse obviously). So they had a cost effective one stop shop for government offices rather than having them spread out over a dozen buildings all over the place. It was pretty nice inside too.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It bums me out that we seemed to stop building nice looking public buildings in like 1950.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

There are still inexpensive food carts and taco trucks all over America and all over places like New York. I'm afraid inflation has made the .75 cent taco a thing of the past.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 28, 2017

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

paragon1 posted:

I know of at least one big box store that went out of business, then the local county government bought it on the cheap, redid the interior a bit, and moved every last one of their offices in there (except the courthouse obviously). So they had a cost effective one stop shop for government offices rather than having them spread out over a dozen buildings all over the place. It was pretty nice inside too.

Huh, that actually makes sense for government offices, and there is plenty of room for parking already.
Where is this converted government building?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

the black husserl posted:

There are still inexpensive food carts and taco trucks all over America and all over places like New York. I'm afraid inflation has made the .75 cent taco a thing of the past.

The simpsons were buying 100 tacos for 100 dollars in 1996 for their doctor who marathon and that was treated as a good deal even then 20 years ago.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Rackspace's purchase of an abandon mall to be their domestic hq and support center. But with them being local, I'm not sure how well known they actually are.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Here's the parking structure for that amazon fresh pickup store

Do you live in Australia?

I'd like to take an abandoned mall, fill it with obsolete goods and create a zombie experience. No fighting, just sitting in gated stores trying to enjoy your consumer products while hell is located just a few feet away. Apocalyptic news periodically through an old CRT or radio. 24 hour minimum commitment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duz posted:

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Rackspace's purchase of an abandon mall to be their domestic hq and support center. But with them being local, I'm not sure how well known they actually are.

Don't they do a similar thing for their offices all over? The Rackspace office down in Blacksburg is located in an office building that clearly used to be strip mall type retail on the bottom floor, directly adjacent to a small remaining "mall" that has a large chunk taken over by the university.

I'm not sure if they still use the location, when we moved out in 2015 there were rumors they were going to move elsewhere in town.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Vince joins Sears in flagging 'substantial doubt' it can stay in business

quote:

Shares of luxury fashion brand Vince tumbled nearly 40 percent Friday, after the company said it has "substantial doubt" about its ability to continue as a going concern for the next 12 months.

Its warning comes roughly one month after struggling department store Sears made the same statement in its annual filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

It also comes as the number of retail bankruptcies continues to climb toward a post-recession high, and as announced store closures head toward 3,300 in just four months.

Add another to the pyre.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like Edward S. Lampert would have been out as head of Sears years ago if anyone else cared to have the job. This newsfeed elicits a mirthless chuckle:

https://www.nytimes.com/topic/person/edward-s-lampert?inline=nyt-per

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Granite Run was my wife's teenage hangout mall and she was very sad to see it in such a dilapidated nigh-abandoned state. I bought a shirt from that Boscov's on the way to a wedding.

Beachcomber posted:

I'd like to take an abandoned mall, fill it with obsolete goods and create a zombie experience. No fighting, just sitting in gated stores trying to enjoy your consumer products while hell is located just a few feet away. Apocalyptic news periodically through an old CRT or radio. 24 hour minimum commitment.
Shopping in a mall is the zombie experience. That's just being on-the-nose about the metaphor.

Like, alternate idea: get people to pay for a spin class. The bicycles power a radio that just repeats "The Matrix has you" over and over.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 28, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
It seems like even the restaurant industry isn't safe from the changes to retail:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.93f7758a1bc0

Although the article doesn't mention it as a cause, a lot of this could be caused by malls/stores closing, because when people aren't stopping at Sears for a new lawnmower, they also aren't going to the Olive Garden afterwards.

It would be interesting to see how restaurants are doing, compared to whether they are chain restaurants, big restaurants, or smaller, independent restaurants. I suspect that the second are still doing well, but they make up a minor part of the sector.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

glowing-fish posted:

It seems like even the restaurant industry isn't safe from the changes to retail:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.93f7758a1bc0

Although the article doesn't mention it as a cause, a lot of this could be caused by malls/stores closing, because when people aren't stopping at Sears for a new lawnmower, they also aren't going to the Olive Garden afterwards.

It would be interesting to see how restaurants are doing, compared to whether they are chain restaurants, big restaurants, or smaller, independent restaurants. I suspect that the second are still doing well, but they make up a minor part of the sector.

"Fast casual" is cleaning house. lovely sit-downs are dying on the vine.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
We'll do what we have to to ensure nobody goes to a Chili's ever again.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Glass of Milk posted:

We'll do what we have to to ensure nobody goes to a Chili's ever again.

I'd eat at Chili's every day of the week if it kept me out of an Applebees.

Their latest menu revision a few years back sucks and they took all the good stuff off the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

anonumos posted:

"Fast casual" is cleaning house. lovely sit-downs are dying on the vine.

What is the difference? Which one is Denny's?

Like the only thing that could really drive business out of Denny's is if the Ventrue and Toreador engage in a civil war.