Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kept on expecting the guy to be a reveal but maybe they just decided to save some money by having a crew member wear a bag on their head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Maybe he's Vigilante? Someone else who they are saving a reveal for until Season 6.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Digg also had his brother in a black site.

Hey man, they keep it in the family.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Don't think I didn't notice that they never unmasked the guy they were rescuing, so I assume he's coming back into play later when they cast him or reveal him to be someone they already know.
Felicity's father? I don't remember what happened to him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cayden James is Savitar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

Cayden James is Savitar.

So he's Barry?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I liked this episode if only because I enjoyed the Wild Dog sub plot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now that we've had some time to think about it, and the excitement has died down, can we all admit that the crossover sucked? It started out great, with the team training and Diggle seeing Supergirl and Supergirl and Oliver's personality clash. But then they decided to put most of the cast in a dream world for the entire middle third of the thing, and that just brought the whole thing to a loving halt. It would've been one thing if that was a standalone Arrow episode, it would've just been kind of dull, but as the middle part of a story about aliens invading, it was so bad.

On top of that, all the bad guys were totally interchangeable aliens, so that sucked, and they were all CGI so they couldn't even have any cool fights.

Oliver telling Supergirl to sit the mission out because he needed things to be normal was so dumb

And then at the end none of it changed anything. Aliens invaded the goddamn earth, and didn't they kill the president? But next episode for all the shows, nothing's changed.

It was just bad

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Crossover was kind of fun just by its nature, but yeah, it was a poorly constructed thing. Supergirl didn't play and Arrow did its own thing. It wasn't a well written or told story.

I don't know if that's growing pains or if its just a reality of trying to crossover four shows with four different creative and writing staffs. Ideally you'd probably need to have one crew/writer doing all four episodes and do a proper stand alone event to pull it off well. If the next big crossover is just each show doing an episode then we'll probably get the same fun but disjointed kind of thing.

Tiggum posted:

Felicity's father? I don't remember what happened to him.

My guess is they literally have no one in mind and are just keeping it open for them to make that decision between seasons. They can cast someone new, bring back some former person, or just decide to do nothing with him. They left all the options open by never showing his face.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I said it in the Flash thread and I'll say it here: the musical should have been the crossover event.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The next crossover should take place on Supergirl's Earth, and be a musical.

Staring Slade.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

My friend, let me tell you about a cinematic masterpiece titled...Hackers...

Truly, the most accurate depiction of hacking in media ever.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bbf2 posted:

That hacker ex-boyfriend guy died towards the end of season 4. Damien Dahrk recruited him to be his hacker so he could set off all the world's nukes or whatever. (Dahrk used magic to put something in his spine that was slowly and painfully killing him so that he would be motivated to have all the nukes go off and grant him a quick explosiony death instead) And then at some point he failed or was convinced to stop by Felicity or something and Dahrk busted in and killed him

Ah, you're right. And I had forgotten. Thanks. Wish I could forget more parts of that season.

Klungar posted:

Maybe he's Vigilante? Someone else who they are saving a reveal for until Season 6.

This...this is interesting. Vigilante has been seemingly conspicuously absent for a while.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Now that we've had some time to think about it, and the excitement has died down, can we all admit that the crossover sucked? It started out great, with the team training and Diggle seeing Supergirl and Supergirl and Oliver's personality clash. But then they decided to put most of the cast in a dream world for the entire middle third of the thing, and that just brought the whole thing to a loving halt. It would've been one thing if that was a standalone Arrow episode, it would've just been kind of dull, but as the middle part of a story about aliens invading, it was so bad.

I'm willing to give it a pass because it was an example of a sentimental episode that was actually good, was a good episode of Arrow, Amell did great work, and--most relevantly--I can understand how the Arrow team would want to do something special for their 100th episode (which is kind of a thing in television). It just happened to coincide with the crossover.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I was hoping Ollie and Diggle would decide not to help Argus defend it's black site holding a man without due process. Especially after Lyla failed to mention it to them. They could have taken their time getting to the site by stopping for milkshakes or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vigilante being the leader of Helix would be really, really dumb. Like, someone will say "but that never stopped them before" but I can't think of anything that's that silly and not quite right and not at all set up.

I really think Vigilante is just meant to be a background character to show us that there are vigilantes and villains who aren't on Team Arrow but also aren't like actively trying to destroy the city or ruin Oliver's life. Its like establishing rogues and recurring villains on Flash. Its something Arrow's never really done besides Vertigo but it brings the show a more comic book life, which I think they've been going for this season with the expanded team of non-arrow based heroes.

I expect Vigilante will just pop back up again next season and he'll be like that bad coin that Oliver can never really take down but also is never really a big enough problem for him to pull himself away from the task at hand. And they could theoretical set up Helix in that same way. Just a nuisance out there that isn't necessarily evil or good... but is a persistent pain in the rear end.

nelson posted:

I was hoping Ollie and Diggle would decide not to help Argus defend it's black site holding a man without due process. Especially after Lyla failed to mention it to them. They could have taken their time getting to the site by stopping for milkshakes or something.

I mean... its all well and good for them to not be happy about the black site holding a man without due process. But neither exactly had a leg to stand on to REALLY object to it. Especially considering Oliver has a joint black site prison with Argus to hold enemies of his without due process.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Especially considering Oliver has a joint black site prison with Argus to hold enemies of his without due process.

Maybe not for long apparently.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Maybe not for long apparently.

I don't know what you are talking about, Manu Bennett has clearly stated he is not coming back to Arrow.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Vigilante was brought in to be a misdirect for people that knew that Adrian Chase is one of the Vigilantes from the comics.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

bentacos posted:

Vigilante was brought in to be a misdirect for people that knew that Adrian Chase is one of the Vigilantes from the comics.

I think that's definitely true, but I'm hoping they flesh him out a lot more in the next season beyond 5-second encounters where he screams "You're bad for this city!!! I'm taking you down!!" and then disappears into thin air. I think he could work as a sort of mini-foil to Oliver but as of right now he seems more like a villain than an actual vigilante because, and I could be wrong, it's been a long season, we haven't seen him do anything good, which a name like vigilante usually implies, especially considering the character's history in the comics.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sir Potato posted:

I think that's definitely true, but I'm hoping they flesh him out a lot more in the next season beyond 5-second encounters where he screams "You're bad for this city!!! I'm taking you down!!" and then disappears into thin air. I think he could work as a sort of mini-foil to Oliver but as of right now he seems more like a villain than an actual vigilante because, and I could be wrong, it's been a long season, we haven't seen him do anything good, which a name like vigilante usually implies, especially considering the character's history in the comics.

Vigilante is Jason Todd

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vigilante is a "vigilante" in the sense that he takes the law into his own hands, like Team Arrow. Which is, of course, illegal and depending on your perspective makes him a villain in and of itself. Which has naturally been a big part of the show with cops pursing the Hood/Arrow.

Within the context of a show that has heroic vigilantes he's a "villain" if you believe his methods and judgments go too far. Such as wanting to kill the Mayor for a coverup. Which is of course a morally grey area considering Oliver's own past of killing people including "white collar" criminals.

Not a lot has been done with him but he's an interesting character in theory as someone who thinks a lot like Oliver but (from Oliver's perspective) goes too far and doesn't have enough moral conscious. If they ever get into it further much like Felicity rejected Oliver's judgment Vigilante would too. And since he's not a threat to Star City in the way the Arrow's usual enemies are he's a guy who is out there without Oliver focusing on tracking him down.

He's similar at least in tone to the Punisher. Or the Huntress, but Arrow kind of blew their wad on that character early on.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Sir Potato posted:

They already said they'll be exploring Vigilante more next season.

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, Manu Bennett has clearly stated he is not coming back to Arrow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

Vigilante is Jason Todd

Well, they are bringing in Grayson, and "shoot everyone and work out logistics later" is Jason's style...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I really want the next crossover to be on Earth-38 with a war against Darkseid's army. It'll never happen since that's Justice League Part 2's domain, but I still want it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

BreakAtmo posted:

I really want the next crossover to be on Earth-38 with a war against Darkseid's army. It'll never happen since that's Justice League Part 2's domain, but I still want it.

Wait...why Earth-38 specifically?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Earth_38

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Longbaugh01 posted:

Earth-38 is Supergirl's Earth in the CW continuity

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

howe_sam posted:

Earth-38 is Supergirl's Earth in the CW continuity

Ughhhh why didn't they just pick an arbitrary number that wasn't already taken.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Ughhhh why didn't they just pick an arbitrary number that wasn't already taken.
It's weird, because they call the main show universe Earth 1, the one Wells and Jessie and Zoom are from Earth 2, the one Jay's from Earth 3, but then for Gypsy's and Supergirl's they jump straight to 19 and 38?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

In Supergirl's case they probably should've numbered it after the year Kara debuted, but they went with Superman's introduction instead. Either way, it makes sense because they're the Earth with Kryptonians

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It's weird, because they call the main show universe Earth 1, the one Wells and Jessie and Zoom are from Earth 2, the one Jay's from Earth 3, but then for Gypsy's and Supergirl's they jump straight to 19 and 38?

Gypsy's is Earth-19 because they were trying out a bunch of Harrison Wells before they got to HR.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Longbaugh01 posted:

Did they make more stories in this universe after Generations 3? If so where?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Gypsy's is Earth-19 because they were trying out a bunch of Harrison Wells before they got to HR.

But why even bother numbering the ones they don't care about? It's not like they're mapping the multiverse or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The impression I got is that's exactly what they're doing, its just one of Earth 2 Wells' and Cisco's side projects.

Like, from a practical sense it would only make sense for them to keep track of which universe is which.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tiggum posted:

But why even bother numbering the ones they don't care about? It's not like they're mapping the multiverse or something.

Just because the DC comics do it I'm pretty sure. It's expected, I suppose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like Cisco isn't going to keep a list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cisco is a nerd with no social life or friends outside work who has the super power to see into and travel to other universes.

That dude probably does nothing but peep on other worlds and make spreadsheets and charts about them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Cisco is a nerd with no social life or friends outside work who has the super power to see into and travel to other universes.

That dude probably does nothing but peep on other worlds and make spreadsheets and charts about them.

They really need to establish that he's been visiting other universes just to get variants of nerd poo poo. Like, the version of the Matrix where they cast Will Smith as Neo, or that Aliens movie James Cameron was working on that in our universe got shelved to make way for Aliens vs Predator

In an infinite multiverse, they must exist, and Cisco would expend energy to track them down

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Or look into the universe where they figured out who savitar was and beat him gently caress

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cisco is an interdimensional peeping tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's amazing how much more I enjoy an episode without flashbacks or hearing the word Bratva constantly.

I actually expected to find out the guy Helix rescued wasn't Kayden, but Slade at the end.

• Locked thread