Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I listened to Magnus mostly while working, but now I'm relistening to the entire series in the car with my wife and I'm picking up on so many extra connections between episodes! I'm even more impressed with them than I was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

New Leaf posted:

I listened to Magnus mostly while working, but now I'm relistening to the entire series in the car with my wife and I'm picking up on so many extra connections between episodes! I'm even more impressed with them than I was before.

I keep catching little things like that between episode and being all proud of myself. Then I'll look online to see if anyone else caught the connection, and realize I missed 5 or 6 others, and that people make charts and maps of this stuff.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I wonder how much of each episode of TANIS/TBT/Rabbits is silence or creepy sound effects between people talking..

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

They're certainly all the same ones, at least.

I've also realized the real secret power of Tanis is to make every other phenomenon/conspiracy theory actually about Tanis, and has now enveloped other podcasts as well Rabbits, unsurprisingly

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I wonder how much of each episode of TANIS/TBT/Rabbits is silence or creepy sound effects between people talking..

Is tbt even a going concern still?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Is tbt even a going concern still?

I assume so. Alex was reading stuff in today's Tanis.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I assume so. Alex was reading stuff in today's Tanis.

Episode 212 was 8/16/16
The delay between 112 and 201 was from 10/13/15 to 1/18/16. So they took 3 months off then, and it's already been 8 months now. It's website hasn't had an update since 212 was released. etc...

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Heard someone refer to Tanis as "not so much a story as it is 30 minutes of ambience drone mixed with spoken word."

psychopomp fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 19, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

On the advice of this thread I started listening to Magnus. A new season of Alice Isn't Dead just started, and for some reason, it's a bit harder to go back to after hearing more solid storytelling like in Magnus and Bronzetown. I'll be combing this thread for more good stuff. I wonder if there are any cold war spy thriller story podcasts?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I just caught up on Wolf 359 and.... :vince:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

psychopomp posted:

Heard someone refer to Tanis as "not so much a story as it is 30 minutes of ambience drone mixed with spoken word."

I like that, and I probably would have stuck with TANIS longer if it was just spooky spoken-word snippets about the central mystery and didn't try to tell a full-on story. Instead it rapidly became clear that they had no idea where to go with it and started spinning their wheels. That's not even a criticism, really--it's almost impossible to stick the landing on a weird-horror mystery show. Not even Twin Peaks could go the distance.

So is Rabbits just a TANIS retread, or does it do anything new?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

A retread? Excuse me but Rabbits also includes several minutes of pointless video game trivia every episode. It's completely different.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I was at least kind of enjoying Rabbits until the recent episode where the narrator gets saved by a literal wave of skateboarding teens who zoom by her and transport her a block away, cartoon-style.

I don't know why THAT was my breaking point, but it was.

Also, the idea that these people who have been stalking her and following her around all the time and know where she's going at all times somehow still don't know where she lives because they are unable to follow her home.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

Also, the idea that these people who have been stalking her and following her around all the time and know where she's going at all times somehow still don't know where she lives because they are unable to follow her home.

Is that like how whoever's protecting the TANIS mystery is capable of deleting any reference to it from the entire Internet by snapping their fingers, but they can't get one podcast off iTunes?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Clipperton posted:

Is that like how whoever's protecting the TANIS mystery is capable of deleting any reference to it from the entire Internet by snapping their fingers, but they can't get one podcast off iTunes?

The exact same thing happens in Rabbits too, "this file is immediately removed from any torrent website quicker than a DMCA notice but we've got it for you."

Also, "if you EVER talk about the details of Rabbits to anyone someone will come find and KILL you. Anyways here is a bunch of people who are willing to talk about Rabbits on our podcast, Rabbits."

Tweak fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

doctorfrog posted:

On the advice of this thread I started listening to Magnus. A new season of Alice Isn't Dead just started, and for some reason, it's a bit harder to go back to after hearing more solid storytelling like in Magnus and Bronzetown. I'll be combing this thread for more good stuff. I wonder if there are any cold war spy thriller story podcasts?

Ars Paradoxica has the cold war bit. Have you checked it?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Len posted:

Ars Paradoxica has the cold war bit. Have you checked it?

Not yet. Looks like that's my next podcast after Magnus, thanks!

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead isn't grabbing me as hard as the first.

Season 2 of Spines, however, is turning into a pretty drat good audio anime.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
I'm pretty sure Magnus Archives is my favorite podcast I've ever listened to. I binged the entire run of the show over the last couple weeks. Are there any other horror podcasts with a similar level of quality? Similar things? Wolf 359 is fun but a lot more light and whimsical...mostly.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

I'm pretty sure Magnus Archives is my favorite podcast I've ever listened to. I binged the entire run of the show over the last couple weeks. Are there any other horror podcasts with a similar level of quality? Similar things? Wolf 359 is fun but a lot more light and whimsical...mostly.

Archive 81 is a horror podcast, and is similar in premise to the Magnus Archives while being its own, completely different thing.

The podcast begins with the protagonist starting his new job; archiving some recordings. In an abandoned military bunker. Deep in a forest. In complete isolation.

I won't spoil anything else, but its great. The audio engineering is fantastic, the writing is good, and the cast are excellent voice actors, especially in S2 where the main cast is greatly expanded.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Season 2 of Spines, however, is turning into a pretty drat good audio anime.

Thanks for this. Did most of S1 last night will probably finish it today. Reminds me of a slightly less allegorical / stream of conscious Mabel while still having that dreamlike feel.

Plus hardcore body horror right out the gate.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rob Filter posted:

Archive 81 is a horror podcast, and is similar in premise to the Magnus Archives while being its own, completely different thing.

The podcast begins with the protagonist starting his new job; archiving some recordings. In an abandoned military bunker. Deep in a forest. In complete isolation.

I won't spoil anything else, but its great. The audio engineering is fantastic, the writing is good, and the cast are excellent voice actors, especially in S2 where the main cast is greatly expanded.

I thought season 2 of Archive 81 was dreadful and stopped listening after two episodes. Has it improved?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I thought season 2 of Archive 81 was dreadful and stopped listening after two episodes. Has it improved?

It's different and has grown on me personally but it's not a direct continuation of season 1 in style or format.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
S2 of Archive 81 is more like their other production The Deep Vault than it is like S1. Less building a mystery, more figuring out how to deal with indescribable horrors. They do use less of the crunchy gore sound effects after the first ep or two, if that helps.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Like I said earlier, I think I'm the only one who likes S2 of Archive 81 better than S1. Found footage stories about gormless men discovering conspiracies are a dime a dozen, but a story about exploring an unknown continent full of eldritch horrors is exciting. My only complaint is that I hate the one character who is basically a poor imitation of Alec Baldwin from Glengarry Glen Ross (Lydia? Cynthia?). One of the other characters even calls that out, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a bad character. She says "I don't like wasting time," but is constantly interrupting people to insult them.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I like S2 better too. It's bonkers but it's interesting bonkers.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I finally decided to listen to Magnus Archives and: wow, this is really good! I'd read a short story collection by whoever writes this.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I finally decided to listen to Magnus Archives and: wow, this is really good! I'd read a short story collection by whoever writes this.

Great. Become a patron on patreon, transcripts are a perk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

Great. Become a patron on patreon, transcripts are a perk.

Transcripts are going free for all according to an update they posted

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Magnus would make a great TV show akin to "The Twilight Zone". Totally episodic but still keeping to a plotline at the Institute. They could keep the general conceit and let someone narrate every episode, then have follow ups to certain things down the road.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
New stretch goal of $1,000 a month for the Magnus Archives (Rusty Quill) Pantheon:

https://www.patreon.com/rustyquill

quote:

This is a big one, allowing us to:

Completely overhaul the Rusty Quill Gaming equipment which would allow us to release weekly again.

Massively expand The Magnus Archives recording setup allowing for more multi-cast recordings and ensemble episodes.

Give us equipment to generate some of our own dedicated foley for all projects.

Massively reduce the amount of time it takes to record, produce and edit our podcasts so that we can start generating significantly more Patreon-only content.

This increase in productivity also gives us the option of creating a brand-new, free, podcast.

I'm not sure how I would feel about more multi-cast recordings honestly.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

theblackw0lf posted:

New stretch goal of $1,000 a month for the Magnus Archives (Rusty Quill) Pantheon:

https://www.patreon.com/rustyquill

I'm not sure how I would feel about more multi-cast recordings honestly.

This is cool, good for them. I'm happy they already have over $800 monthly coming in. I agree with you about multi-but, but I think they know their main draw is spooky stories told by a single narrator.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Yeah, none of the guest readers have ever been as compelling as Jonathan Simms. I'm sure they know that, though, so it's all good.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I dunno, today's wasn't bad..

Also, I'm biting my tongue on the super unique new character on The Bright Sessions.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I dunno, today's wasn't bad..

Also, I'm biting my tongue on the super unique new character on The Bright Sessions.

Pretty sure we can count the number of straight characters on one hand now.

Things we learned about this new character:
She can sleep walk
Is gay

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are we having round 2 of Podcast Gay Panic?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Len posted:

Pretty sure we can count the number of straight characters on one hand now.

Things we learned about this new character:
She can sleep walk
Is gay

This wasn't her first appearance. She was featured in an earlier episode having a discussion with Agent Green. Also, we know that she's nervous about how to relate to other people and is worried about inadvertently invading their privacy. Saying all there is to her is sexuality and power is reductive and insulting. Yeah, it's odd how hardly any of the characters are straight (though Joan, Owen, and Sam all seem to qualify), but it's not like there's nothing to her but a box on a checklist. It seems like when a queer character is introduced, people immediately respond with "pandering! Just make good characters and stop worrying about if they're gay!" It's kind of like when a white guy gets cast to play a minority role in a big budget movie and people defend it by saying "we just want the best actors and didn't think about race."

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 28, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Insulting to who, exactly? The fictional character?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Hi podcast thread, I tried listening to Rabbits because the premise was fun and checked a lot of boxes on my list of interests, but I can't stand the pacing or narrative structuring. Are there any good vaguely spooky podcasts? I listened to Limetown because a friend was, and it was fun even if it felt like they didn't have enough meat on the premise by the end. WTNV is fun but I liked the spooky NPR stuff more than the serialized narratives, so I lost interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The Magnus Archives. For real. It's the loving best.

• Locked thread