Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe Clea Duvall's character comes back to testify, as she's medically seen Chuck. Plus, she pulled that 'dirty trick' of having his hospital bed actually turned on when it Chuck thought it was off.

She's been in an episode every season so far, so there's a good chance they'll bring her back. She's an excellent actress who's finally making a comeback, and I'm so glad for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I love the contrast of how Jimmy utterly fucks up at being sneaky and putting sugar into his coffee at the restaurant

but Mike is an expert at sneaking sugar onto the back of the truck

Mikes an amateur at sneaky sugar placement compared to some people

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

GOOOOOOOO LANDCRABS
I really really want him to actually say this at some point.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

Jimmy will call in a neuroscientist who will explain that our brains function by electrical signals, and then point out that Chuck The gently caress cannot be afraid of electricity when he is electricity. Everyone will applaud and Chuck will immediately be disbarred and have his teeth removed and be sent to the home for criminally insane bad brothers.

And that neuroscientist was Albert Einstein.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hiddenmovement posted:

Mikes an amateur at sneaky sugar placement compared to some people

Honestly they both got made by Gus

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Chuck also grossly underestimates Jimmy's abilities as a lawyer. He acknowledges Jimmy's knack for dirty tricks, but you know he's not even entertaining the possibility that Jimmy could put together a competent defense for himself.

I liked when Chuck threw out the University of American Samoa bit as attempted slander against Jimmy. If anything, that makes Jimmy's accomplishments more impressive: managing to pass the bar with an education received from some two-bit operation shows just how seriously he must've taken his attempt to turn his life around.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Vermain posted:

I liked when Chuck threw out the University of American Samoa bit as attempted slander against Jimmy. If anything, that makes Jimmy's accomplishments more impressive: managing to pass the bar with an education received from some two-bit operation shows just how seriously he must've taken his attempt to turn his life around.

Yeah. The whole point of the bar exam is that everyone takes the same one in the state they want to practice. The multi-state is the same for everyone. If you pass, you pass. The issue with lovely law schools is usually that their graduates CAN'T pass the bar.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

EatinCake posted:

So Kim leaving his life is clearly going to be a breaking point for Jimmy turning full on Saul. Anyone want to start a pool on whether she:

- dies
- leaves him because he goes to far this time!
- ends up in prison because of working with him somehow

Sagebrush posted:

Jimmy doesn't need to go to prison to learn the ins and outs of money laundering. Until he decided to get a law degree, he was making a living as a literal con man. I'm sure he understands perfectly well how to sneak around just below the law.

I think it'll be either
(good ending) Jimmy decides that being a criminal lawyer suits him better than being Matlock, starts operating as Saul, and Kim decides that she can't associate herself with him any more because her career as a Real Lawyer is taking off. She says she's going to leave but Jimmy kindly lets her take over W/M, removes his name, and leaves her alone, immersing himself fully in the criminal lawyer world that he fits so well; or,

(bad ending) all the poo poo that Jimmy keeps pulling ruins his reputation and Kim's by association -- Mesa Verde pulls out, she's blacklisted in Albuquerque -- so she leaves him in disgust and is never heard from again. In his sorrow over losing Kim (and his brother too), Jimmy burns all his bridges and decides to start living as Saul.

It has been bugging me why Jimmy would become Saul. In Breaking Bad we are introduced to him as a criminal lawyer for criminals. It is going to be interesting seeing him go from elder law to car accidents and money laundering. The first season of Better Call Saul makes it seem like the McGil name is very important and I am wondering if changing his name and never bugging Chuck again is going to be part of a deal. Chuck thinks that Jimmy is bringing his good McGil lawyer name down with him but Chuck can't tell that acting crazy about electricity is what is really hurting the McGil name. Everyone was super impressed that Jimmy could uncover the Sandpiper thing and was helping old people to boot. Everyone but Chuck. So I could see the change in name being related to Chuck.

Walter White wanted money to leave to his kids. Jesse Pinkman wanted money because that was where he was at in life. Why does Saul Goodman do what Saul Goodman does? Mike has a grand daughter to care about. Gus is out for blood. Why doesn't Saul just move to say California, take another Bar Exam, and start elder law over? Why Jimmy sticks around the ABQ and what is going to happen to Chuck, Kim, and Hector are so fascinating.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

No Luck Needed posted:

Why does Saul Goodman do what Saul Goodman does?

Because he enjoys the hell out of it and it's the only thing he's good at. He tried playing it straight and narrow to appease his brother but just couldn't help but flick that switch. Whatever happens in BCS completely destroys his relationship with Chuck and Kim and he has no reason to keep pretending to be someone he's not. Jimmy is and always has been Saul, he doesn't need to "become" him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it ever stated whether he legally changed his name? From what I remember of BB Saul was more of a stage/working name.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Steve2911 posted:

Is it ever stated whether he legally changed his name? From what I remember of BB Saul was more of a stage/working name.

I'm pretty sure he introduces himself to Walt(?) as James McGill straight up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

canoshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure he introduces himself to Walt(?) as James McGill straight up.

Faith and begorrah! A fellow potato eater! My real name's McGill. The Jew thing I just do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't remember the interaction exactly but he doesn't introduce himself as Jimmy McGill, I don't think. He's making some small talk about Jewish lawyers and comments that "Saul Goodman's just for show, my real name's McGill"

e: well, there it is

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

No Luck Needed posted:

Chuck thinks that Jimmy is bringing his good McGil lawyer name down with him but Chuck can't tell that acting crazy about electricity is what is really hurting the McGil name. Everyone was super impressed that Jimmy could uncover the Sandpiper thing and was helping old people to boot. Everyone but Chuck. So I could see the change in name being related to Chuck.

Not that I agree with this 100%, but you do bring up an interesting point:

Most all of us have assumed that Jimmy changes his--or uses a different--name (or is forced to) for the benefit of Chuck and/or Chuck's law firm because Jimmy has tainted the name, but what if we have it all wrong and Jimmy changes his--or uses a different--name for his own benefit to distance himself from Chuck and/or Chuck's law firm who have tainted the name somehow instead?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Right so it's very unlikely that going by Saul is a condition of any sort of deal. If Chuck wants him to change his name he'll make sure he actually changes it, not just the sign on the door.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because he enjoys the hell out of it and it's the only thing he's good at. He tried playing it straight and narrow to appease his brother but just couldn't help but flick that switch. Whatever happens in BCS completely destroys his relationship with Chuck and Kim and he has no reason to keep pretending to be someone he's not. Jimmy is and always has been Saul, he doesn't need to "become" him.

I mostly agree, although I think what BCS shows pretty clearly is that Jimmy McGill is a pretty darn good lawyer who, despite being on the sleazy side, could make it in a big time law firm. He might well have settled down and become an "honest" lawyer if the door hadn't been slammed repeatedly in his face. His falls back into Slippin' Jimmy in season 1 are almost all from desperation: he tries to con Tuco's abuela and accepts the Kettleman's bribe because he's on the knife's edge of poverty and exists in a perpetual state of humiliation because of it (pretending to be his own receptionist and pulling out every excuse in the book for people to not see his utility closet office). When dishonesty and scheming gets him further ahead than the honest work he's doing - especially when he finds out that his own brother has been sabotaging him every step of the way - it's no surprise that he falls back into his huckstering ways.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vermain posted:

he tries to con Tuco's abuela

No. The skateboarders thought her car was the Kettlemobile when they hit it. He was trying to get the Kettlemans' business by being there when that happened

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Chance posted:

No. The skateboarders thought her car was the Kettlemobile when they hit it. He was trying to get the Kettlemans' business by being there when that happened

Ah, okay; thanks for the correction.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vermain posted:

Ah, okay; thanks for the correction.

Sorry, couldn't let it slide. Jimmy loves old people and wouldn't simply grift them out of cash. He wants justice, dammit!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Vermain posted:

I mostly agree, although I think what BCS shows pretty clearly is that Jimmy McGill is a pretty darn good lawyer who, despite being on the sleazy side, could make it in a big time law firm. He might well have settled down and become an "honest" lawyer if the door hadn't been slammed repeatedly in his face. His falls back into Slippin' Jimmy in season 1 are almost all from desperation: he tries to con Tuco's abuela and accepts the Kettleman's bribe because he's on the knife's edge of poverty and exists in a perpetual state of humiliation because of it (pretending to be his own receptionist and pulling out every excuse in the book for people to not see his utility closet office). When dishonesty and scheming gets him further ahead than the honest work he's doing - especially when he finds out that his own brother has been sabotaging him every step of the way - it's no surprise that he falls back into his huckstering ways.

Yeah you're definitely right that he has the skills to have a steady career at a law firm, but that's not really the point. I think his downfall is a combination of his nature and his brother's assholishness. While Chuck does constantly sabotage him, I think the lightswitch scene at Davis and Main was meant to demonstrate something important about his character: despite his best efforts, sometimes he just can't help himself. I just don't see a world in which, even absent Chuck's meddling, he would be happy and satisfied working corporate law or whatever; there's always a switch to flip. He gets in his own way almost as much as Chuck does. That's what's so compelling about their feud...Chuck is kinda right about him sometimes. Also, Kim kinda likes Slippin Jimmy, it's a core part of his personality and essentially makes him who he is. Without Slippin Jimmy/Saul, he's just another boring lawyer.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Colonel Whitey posted:

Without Slippin Jimmy/Saul, he's just another boring lawyer.

Like Hamlin, and like that prosecutor guy that just popped again this episode. Excellent point.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i appreciate that mr. petty with a prior was too pleased to be getting free food to know or care that he was being bribed

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really really want him to actually say this at some point.

I'd settle for a reference to crabs in a bucket

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah you're definitely right that he has the skills to have a steady career at a law firm, but that's not really the point. I think his downfall is a combination of his nature and his brother's assholishness. While Chuck does constantly sabotage him, I think the lightswitch scene at Davis and Main was meant to demonstrate something important about his character: despite his best efforts, sometimes he just can't help himself. I just don't see a world in which, even absent Chuck's meddling, he would be happy and satisfied working corporate law or whatever; there's always a switch to flip. He gets in his own way almost as much as Chuck does. That's what's so compelling about their feud...Chuck is kinda right about him sometimes. Also, Kim kinda likes Slippin Jimmy, it's a core part of his personality and essentially makes him who he is. Without Slippin Jimmy/Saul, he's just another boring lawyer.

he probably could have ended up in some sort of federal or nonprofit gig. they'll tolerate a lot of weirdness

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I can't help but think it's significant that the prosecutor asked about Jimmy helping Chuck to survive, to which Chuck assured her that he now has an employee from the firm handling that. However, at that point he had already fired Ernesto from HHM, which seems more than a little sketchy, unless he wants to involve poor Ernie even further by stating that he fired him for spilling the beans about the tape to Jimmy.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

i appreciate that mr. petty with a prior was too pleased to be getting free food to know or care that he was being bribed

That was great, he was eating two bags of chips at the same time for lunch and then started eating Jimmy's fries lmao

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

he knew he wasn't working saul's case, but wasn't going to turn down free food

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pocket Billiards posted:

The cocaine in the shoe setup was getting up there with Breaking Bad for suspension of disbelief. To me it's just a little too clever and outlandish.

The tracker in the petrol cap thing was great writing and plausible. The shoe thing stepped over the line a bit I thought. Like Breaking Bad it doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all, just a bit of a stretch in plausibility.

Chuck some dirt on a ute and drive around for like half an hour. Most of it will still be there when you stop.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

That was great, he was eating two bags of chips at the same time for lunch and then started eating Jimmy's fries lmao

Didn't even seem like he had come close to finishing the chips too before he threw them in the trash.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I think the bottom line is that if we don't get a trial next week, I'm gonna flip poo poo.

It usually takes months to get any kind of a hearing beyond arraignment/bond, let alone a trial.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Randandal posted:

It usually takes months to get any kind of a hearing beyond arraignment/bond, let alone a trial.

On the other hand, this show has shown its proficiency with montages.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

Chuck some dirt on a ute and drive around for like half an hour. Most of it will still be there when you stop.

It's not so much that, but all the other things that have to go Mike's way. The truck driving directly under the shoe or wherever the cocaine happens to be falling with that day's wind condition, the two guys dismissing the gunshots and then not noticing the exploding shoe and powder raining down, etc.

I'm not saying that hitting a shoe at distance with a rifle is impossible or cocaine powder sticking to a truck is impossible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It is still a fictional TV show, not fuckin Forensic Files.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is breaking bad 1.5

Every plan in the series has relied on a Rube Goldberg machine going offf without a hitch except the occasional child getting shot

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Jimmy's new law office is absurdly dark. Every professional office I've ever been in is very bright and well lit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Breaking Bad (and now) Better Call Saul always shoot scenes in Mexico with a yellow filter. The doctor was in Mexico, Mike never took the drugs across the border. Mexico scenes are always shot with that yellow tinge, sometimes to indicate a flashback as well. The only exception I can think of are the modern-day scenes at Don Eladio's house.

This was from pages back but I don't care.

The "Mexican filter" has been standard procedure since at least the movie Traffic, good thing for you to notice.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

The Dennis System posted:

Jimmy's new law office is absurdly dark. Every professional office I've ever been in is very bright and well lit.

This is actually a soundstage created to LOOK LIKE an office. The real place is now a Real Estate firm.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Chuck is kinda right about him sometimes.

He's absolutely right. At the same time you can't sabotage Jimmy when he tries to change and then claim you'll be there for him if he tries to change. What is this change supposed to look like if it's not "Get a degree, get a job and be good at it."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm okay with fictional scenarios being slightly contrived and unrealistic.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like Jimmy could probably rein it in ENOUGH to have done alright at HHM or D&M if Chuck hadn't been actively working against him by every means available.

He became a lawyer in the first place because he wanted to be like his big brother. A less evil Chuck could've used that to try and mold Jimmy into a "good" lawyer; let him join HHM at the bottom of the ladder and sink or swim on his own merits like any other random fresh law school grad. Jimmy flaming out at D&M was in the direct shadow of learning of Chuck's betrayal, as well as Chuck still giving him grief and loving with Kim, both of which torched that big piece of his motivation to straighten out.

It's POSSIBLE he would've gone full Saul eventually regardless, but Chuck didn't even give him a fair shot to TRY, so all that follows is ultimately down to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Javid posted:

I feel like Jimmy could probably rein it in ENOUGH to have done alright at HHM or D&M if Chuck hadn't been actively working against him by every means available.

He became a lawyer in the first place because he wanted to be like his big brother. A less evil Chuck could've used that to try and mold Jimmy into a "good" lawyer; let him join HHM at the bottom of the ladder and sink or swim on his own merits like any other random fresh law school grad. Jimmy flaming out at D&M was in the direct shadow of learning of Chuck's betrayal, as well as Chuck still giving him grief and loving with Kim, both of which torched that big piece of his motivation to straighten out.

It's POSSIBLE he would've gone full Saul eventually regardless, but Chuck didn't even give him a fair shot to TRY, so all that follows is ultimately down to him.

I agree. Its a simple sentiment, why bother doing noble self sacrifice and suffering for good morals if you're just going to get kicked down, spit on, and locked out? You might as well get the rewards of being a slippery conman if you're suffering the penalty regardless.

• Locked thread