Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

There's definitely got to be a limit to this, when people start describing Carcassonne as "worker placement", Smash Up as "deckbuilding" or Descent 2.0 as "a role playing game".

Smash Up is a deck building game, with a very limited buy phase and a long resolution phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

OK a little contest for you guys. Go to BGG and browse Games. See how many pages you can get through before not recognizing any games on that page. I got to page 30.

Start here https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Page 24 was the first page with no games I own.

Page 29 was the first with no games I've played.

Page 78 was the first with no games I recognised (excluding expansions and sourcebooks).

I'm very surprised you whiffed on 30, though - it has Arkham Horror 1st edition on it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Page 78 was the first with no games I recognised (excluding expansions and sourcebooks).

I'm very surprised you whiffed on 30, though - it has Arkham Horror 1st edition on it.

And bunny bunny moose moose!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, how's the Descent app with handling expansions and which give you the best amount of content with the app?

Anything you buy will automatically add the monster, heroes, and associated items/equipment/statuses into the available pools in the app.

Lieutenant packs will add those minis, but as I recall they only come up if you're dicking around and not actually moving into new areas.

The Delve module has a pool of pregenerated floors it picks at random, new expansions will add new floors that use those tiles.

And there's an in-app purchase for a campaign that requires Shadows of Nekherall and uses all the monsters/items/tiles from it.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2017

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I found Descent with the app pretty disappointing. It seemed to me that it was a mediocre computer game crossed with a mediocre board game.

It also made some strange choices about what aspects the app handles and what the players have to track. Players still have to track equipment, skill usage, status effects, hit points for monsters and characters, the specifics of monster movement, and worst of all the combat dice rolls. In combat you roll attack dice and defense dice every time, which I found very tedious. I would have really appreciated some automation with this.

I know everyone here rates it very highly, and I can certainly see that there are elements of something good in the game, but I found it a terrible slog.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gilgameshback posted:

I found Descent with the app pretty disappointing. It seemed to me that it was a mediocre computer game crossed with a mediocre board game.

It also made some strange choices about what aspects the app handles and what the players have to track. Players still have to track equipment, skill usage, status effects, hit points for monsters and characters, the specifics of monster movement, and worst of all the combat dice rolls. In combat you roll attack dice and defense dice every time, which I found very tedious. I would have really appreciated some automation with this.

I know everyone here rates it very highly, and I can certainly see that there are elements of something good in the game, but I found it a terrible slog.

If they automated it too much it would just become a generic dungeon crawling app. You need to actually use the cardboard that comes with the game at some point or its not a board game any more.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah what you're asking for is literally a computer game at that point. People wouldn't need to even own the board game to play it. There's no point.

Also the app does keep track of equipment for you? Unless you just meant like, having it track whether you've used a weapon to attack already or not?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A big part of why people enjoy the app so much is how vastly it improves the game from the DM centric one versus many that it was without it. It's much better as a pure coop because of a lot of balance issues. Some of those are still present in Imperial Assault, which is another reason why everyone is excited for that app as well.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The Mansions app is much less intrusive and at the same time much more useful. That one is handled really well except for its stupid habit of putting text boxes over important map info sometimes.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

dropkickpikachu posted:

Yeah what you're asking for is literally a computer game at that point. People wouldn't need to even own the board game to play it. There's no point.

Also the app does keep track of equipment for you? Unless you just meant like, having it track whether you've used a weapon to attack already or not?

I agree with your thoughts here, but I do like the idea of an "automated opponent" app that could keep track of the whole board state without "double entering" stuff (ie. having to do the change on the board and then tell the app about every little thing, at which point all digital seems better).

It seems pretty far off for Descent, but with some design changes and some cleverness you could probably make a game like this where the app somehow "sees" (perhaps literally, with the camera) enough of the state for it to play reasonably without requiring onerous input from players. I know the general concept of app-enhanced game has been messed with a few times (some "LEADERS" game, more limited stuff like XCOM) but I don't think there's been a game to really make "full integration" functional/worthwhile yet.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 27, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

There was that Legend of Yoho thing where your phone was the playing piece but that seemed more like an app with expensive real world components than anything else.

Edit: actually that could be mansions too lol

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I was hoping that the Descent app would be a kind of automated dungeon master that controlled all of the tedious parts of the game so that the players could focus on making decisions for their characters. I think tracking hitpoints, resolving dice rolls, and managing scripted enemy movement are all tedious. Surely someone at Fantasy Flight could figure out how to have the app handle these routines, which involve no decisions on the part of the players, without making the physical components unnecessary and turning the app into a full-fledged computer game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rutibex posted:

Smash Up is a deck building game, with a very limited buy phase and a long resolution phase.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As much as I like Gloomhaven mechanically, I wish it were just a PC game instead of a board game. I think it's just fiddly enough to store, setup/teardown, and play occasionally that I think it would just be better implemented as software. I sorta feel the same about all these app based games. Like I got nothing extra from Mansions of Madness having a physical board aside from RPing my super devout priest that ended up basically being Job because wow, he could not succeed at a single thing.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

I was just thinking it might be neat to do this for what we've played, but ownership is also an interesting criterion.

Page 3 was the first page without a game I own. Sherrif of Nottingham was the last at 185. I actually only own around ten games but that's because I have no space and until recently no money. Also, it's hard to continue in this game when four of them are on page one (Concordia, Star Realms, Splendor, Jaipur).

As far as played, 29 had none that I've played. (Toldja that page was a fucker.) The last I had played was IOTA at 2750.

Best moment: Surviving page 22 with Shadowfist which rules and every card game player should play, which only slightly beat out surviving page 26 with Filthy Rich which rules quite a bit less but I love it so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
OK Magnetic North, you and Jedit were top 2 so send a geekmail to jschlickbernd on BGG and I'll gift you some geek gold.

Yeah so the contest was supposed to be what you'd PLAYED but I screwed it up. Yeah Arkham I certainly recognized. :shepface:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lorini posted:

OK a little contest for you guys. Go to BGG and browse Games. See how many pages you can get through before not recognizing any games on that page. I got to page 30.

Start here https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

I stopped looking at page 43 I think, there was always something I recognized.

However page 23 was the first page with nothing on it that I either owned or had played.

e: I learned that there's a Groo game :psyduck:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

e: I learned that there's a Groo game :psyduck:

I actually own the Groo game, unless I got rid of it. It was a Gen Con purchase back when Gen Con was still at MECCA Arena in Milwaukee.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

GrandpaPants posted:

As much as I like Gloomhaven mechanically, I wish it were just a PC game instead of a board game. I think it's just fiddly enough to store, setup/teardown, and play occasionally that I think it would just be better implemented as software. I sorta feel the same about all these app based games. Like I got nothing extra from Mansions of Madness having a physical board aside from RPing my super devout priest that ended up basically being Job because wow, he could not succeed at a single thing.

I feel the same way about Mage Knight

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

angel opportunity posted:

I feel the same way about Mage Knight

Try The Curious Expedition. Its basically Mage Knight the computer game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rfiQJTVqw

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lorini posted:

OK Magnetic North, you and Jedit were top 2 so send a geekmail to jschlickbernd on BGG and I'll gift you some geek gold.

Sent. Thank you kindly.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Try The Curious Expedition. Its basically Mage Knight the computer game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rfiQJTVqw

There's also the Heroes of Might and Magic series, which was a pretty big influence on Vlaada for Mage Knight.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
HoMM got me into board games

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

taser rates posted:

There's also the Heroes of Might and Magic series, which was a pretty big influence on Vlaada for Mage Knight.

HoMM 3 is one of the golden eternal games, I have never become tired of HoMM 3. It is always fun to play just one more game/round.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Gloomhaven is a great game... to leave eternally set up on a dedicated table.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

HoMM 3 is one of the golden eternal games, I have never become tired of HoMM 3. It is always fun to play just one more game/round.

This. I wish the hd remake had the expansions :X

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Gloomhaven is a great game... to leave eternally set up on a dedicated table.

I love my cat but man....I hate my cat

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lorini posted:

Yeah so the contest was supposed to be what you'd PLAYED but I screwed it up. Yeah Arkham I certainly recognized. :shepface:

Thanks, Lorini. I'm sure I'll find some way to use it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Micro Badges! Do you have the goon one?

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Sleekly posted:

My cat leaves things alone on our table unless we're actually playing. We can leave an Eldritch Horror game set up overnight and every token, monster, standee, everything is perfectly in place, but as soon as we start playing it again, she plops down right in the middle of the board.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lorini posted:

Micro Badges! Do you have the goon one?

Nope. I don't really do microbadges though, I've had the same five for years and been happy.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Jedit posted:

Nope. I don't really do microbadges though, I've had the same five for years and been happy.

I own many but in the end I only need one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Please tell me stuff about Forge War.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sleekly posted:

That's why I rigged up a cover for our game table :smug:

Cat proof!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Played an online Twilight Struggle game as USSR with forums member Covski, it was great fun. Highlights:

• Poor Covski's opening hand was basically all of the USSR Europe events. After UN Intervention and Blockade shrunk it, I had an unopposed AR6 but couldn't really capitalize. Should probably have taken Lebanon/Syria there, I didn't fight hard enough for Mideast in general.
  • I had dominance in Asia (2 Koreas, Thailand), Covski Mideast, both scored a second time on turn 3. Europe eventually stayed neutral after Marshall Plan - so hard to keep dominance after that! Five Year Plan pitched Europe scoring to avoid wasting a turn with it.
  • In the Mid War I held a strong position in the new areas, but eventually got stuck with China, Voice of America, and Ask Not... as my AR7 options to secure Southeast Asia from an incursion (had already spaced Grain Sales). Voice causes more damage than it saves, so if Covski has Ussuri/SE Asia scoring I want to play Ask Not/China respectively. I got it wrong, played Ask Not causing SE Asia Scoring and Allende to be replaced with Colonial Rear Guards (breaking my control of 4 African battlegounds, so I go from Control to Presence) ... then Africa Scoring is the headline.
  • The next round we were fighting very hard in the Americas, but I had the upper hand from being there first. Each of us thought the other had Central America scoring, which caused Covski to miss a chance to score South America at neutral. That left me at +16 VP so I headline Olympics and play OPEC for the remaining points. Thinking about this afterwards, this may have been a Defcon risk as I think it was Turn 7 so everything is shuffled back in and Duck & Cover / Grain Sales might be headlined.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Selecta84 posted:

Please tell me stuff about Forge War.

It's good, very unforgiving and puzzle-like. Many reviewers seemed to dislike the mining mechanic, which is its own little abstract area control game. You use the materials you mine to forge weapons and equipment for adventurers, who complete very simple quests.

I thought the mining added an interesting element - sometimes you can make a mining move that yields tons of raw materials, but of a kind of that you don't need. So do you make a less efficient mining move to get the materials you want, or do you adapt your weapon forging to make use of the other materials?

Worth checking out.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyone played any of the Coal trilogy games (Haspelknecht, Kohl & Kolonie, etc) or Forged in Steel? If so, thoughts?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gilgameshback posted:

It's good, very unforgiving and puzzle-like. Many reviewers seemed to dislike the mining mechanic, which is its own little abstract area control game. You use the materials you mine to forge weapons and equipment for adventurers, who complete very simple quests.

I thought the mining added an interesting element - sometimes you can make a mining move that yields tons of raw materials, but of a kind of that you don't need. So do you make a less efficient mining move to get the materials you want, or do you adapt your weapon forging to make use of the other materials?

Worth checking out.

The mining part feels like the heart of the game with everything else basically being a resolution of how that went for each player. Admittedly only played it once, and it was the short game, but I rather liked it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Anyone played any of the Coal trilogy games (Haspelknecht, Kohl & Kolonie, etc) or Forged in Steel? If so, thoughts?

I've got Haspelknecht and expansion in a CSI preorder. I have heard a lot of positive buzz since release. Not lighting the world on fire, but a nice slow burn of buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

taser rates posted:

The mining part feels like the heart of the game with everything else basically being a resolution of how that went for each player. Admittedly only played it once, and it was the short game, but I rather liked it.

I have played the hell out of Forge War and to me the mining part was where you had to make sure you got the materials to make the weapons you needed (or expected to need) for the coming round. The better you knew what you did and didn't need (and what your opponents did or didn't need) then the better off you would be. The meat of the game was the quest planning and logistics.

Forge War is about being the administrator / accountant for an Adventurer's Guild taking contracts to protect a fantasy poo poo-magnet of a kingdom. The quests are all multi-stage, so you might be in a situation of accepting a 3-round long juicy contract to clear the catacombs of skeletons, but on round 3 you're going to need everyone equipped with a certain number of maces, otherwise the contract is failed. Maybe you have your star player on the mission but if you don't get them a shiny new magic mace (whose blueprint you obtained) in time then you're hooped -- and depending on your past actions and the board state, etc it's possible to know whether the materials you need will be guaranteed, or not even close (because there is persistence in the mining board from round to round.)

Mix in that you can have several quests on the go at once, but your people and resources are limited so there is overlapping "staffing" (i.e. these people go to this mission, but then move to this other mission in time to...) and a risk of cascading failures if you have hosed up. You are often tempted to get greedy and overextend yourself.

Forge War (it seemed to me) had generally positive but overall mixed reception and maybe it's just me but I found it natural and rewarding to groove on its wavelength. If you like the balancing act / enough rope to hang yourself aspects of some Splotter games then you just might enjoy Forge War for similar reasons.