Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Uh, in this context it actually would not be though? You can use the cheapest, smallest station to snare any size fleet and in Hyperlanes it makes perfect sense.

e: made this less snarky cause we're all friends here

It only makes sense if your fleet happens to be sitting right there for some reason. Any other situation and you just lost the station and anything else around it in exchange for probably nothing.

If you want to catch a fleet, you just make the same jump as your opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there an official reason behind the black hole named Blorg's Bane? Because I am so utterly bored out of my meaningless head:

Back when the Blorg first reached for the stars they decided to celebrate their new ftl drive with a grand hug a star festival. Picking a system at random millions of Blorg went into their lone quarters aboard the starships specifically built for the long journey. Unfortunately once they entered orbit around the star it was so repulsed by their impressionist dancing it turned in on itself. Misunderstanding the reaction the Blorg rushed in to cheer up their new common friend and the sheer mass of them was enough to cause the star to collapse completely and form a black hole.

To this day some whisper that they somehow survived by falling through to another dimension and will one day return to hug out the light of all the stars in the galaxy.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

PittTheElder posted:

It only makes sense if your fleet happens to be sitting right there for some reason. Any other situation and you just lost the station and anything else around it in exchange for probably nothing.

Yeah, this is the problem right here. Maybe adopting some of EU's fort mechanics would help, rather than just making them things you can blow up in seconds with a deathball. You'd need them to prevent leaving the system through any lane other than the one the fleet came through, as well

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Poil posted:

Is there an official reason behind the black hole named Blorg's Bane? Because I am so utterly bored out of my meaningless head:

Back when the Blorg first reached for the stars they decided to celebrate their new ftl drive with a grand hug a star festival. Picking a system at random millions of Blorg went into their lone quarters aboard the starships specifically built for the long journey. Unfortunately once they entered orbit around the star it was so repulsed by their impressionist dancing it turned in on itself. Misunderstanding the reaction the Blorg rushed in to cheer up their new common friend and the sheer mass of them was enough to cause the star to collapse completely and form a black hole.

To this day some whisper that they somehow survived by falling through to another dimension and will one day return to hug out the light of all the stars in the galaxy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Im regards to fixing combat, I propose players lose the ability to control a fleet directly at all.

Instead make the system majesty like where you define tasks and things you want done and your generals and admirals wage the war on their own.

The most micromanagement we should be able to do is create the fleets themselves and swap out admirals/generals for those who prefer the sort of tactics we like best. So you can make a doomstack but then you will have no ships to raid or conduct defense.

But then thats pretty much already what I do because I hate combat in this game, make a federation with some nobody and build a fleet and let them handle all the details

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 28, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

GlyphGryph posted:

Im regards to fixing combat, I propose players lose the ability to control a fleet directly at all.

Instead make the system majesty like where you define tasks and things you want done and your generals and admirals wage the war on their own.

The most micromanagement we should be able to do is create the fleets themselves and swap out admirals/generals for those who prefer the sort of tactics we like best.

A bold idea for introducing dozens of new bugs into the game.

Reminder that sectors still barely function after years of patches. I don't want to imagine what a mess it would be leaving the player's entire military over to AI control.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

A bold idea for introducing dozens of new bugs into the game.

Reminder that sectors still barely function after years of patches. I don't want to imagine what a mess it would be leaving the player's entire military over to AI control.

gonna be real nit picky here. the game hasn't even been out for a year.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If theres any bugs with the AIs ability to conduct wars at least it leaves the player and ais on equal footing for obvious reasons hahah

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

after years of patches

Uhhhhh...

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Sorry, long day. Meant to type "tons of patches"

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I was hoping one of the megastructures would be a super fortress, that not only functions to catch ships in its own system but actually has a sizable radius on the galaxy map into which it sucks all hostiles attempting to FTL within your borders. Could make it easier to build the smaller your empire is, or cost more for each one or something like that to help pacifist/turtle builds.

It might be a bit redundant if they're changing the game to be all hyperlane, though.

With the other, less interesting megas, they could consolidate the sensor and science stations into one - and make it a huge AI sphere that sees far more than any meat being or group of them could ever process. You would have to reason with it via events once you build it, and if you squeezed it hard enough in the early game maybe that can set off an endgame crisis later.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

GlyphGryph posted:

The most micromanagement we should be able to do is create the fleets themselves and swap out admirals/generals for those who prefer the sort of tactics we like best. So you can make a doomstack but then you will have no ships to raid or conduct defense.

But then thats pretty much already what I do because I hate combat in this game, make a federation with some nobody and build a fleet and let them handle all the details

Next time you're going to cross the street, don't bother looking.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Next time you're going to cross the street, don't bother looking.

Harsh. But I guess not uncalled for. Any one thinking that giving your generals/admirals that kind of agency may reduce the level of micromanagement need only look to Distant Worlds to see how giving the game a cat herding feature really isn't helpful or fun...

I don't know if adding more layers between you and your ships/troops/planets is really what the game needs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I saw some complaints earlier about migration not working right atm. What is the exact malfunction?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Don't think it's outright broken per se - I've gotten migrants in the past. But it doesn't happen much.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I saw some complaints earlier about migration not working right atm. What is the exact malfunction?
It's really odd, I'm about 100 years into a game with active migration treaties and high habitability planets with open spots, and I've yet to receive a single migrant. All of my "xenos" are just gene-modified pops.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The latest DLC has me thinking about playing again, but catching up also leads to reading about planned future updates and fixes that make me want to hold off for those too. But of course, I held off before because I'd read about Unity and thought I should wait until that comes out.

Something tells me waiting forever for perfect conditions is probably non-optimal but it's hard to snap out of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The game is pretty great right now. Most broken thing right now is Survey Corps and Purifiers not getting Unity for purging, but those are pretty minor.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I think they may actually get the unity? At least, I found an event for it. It just happens silently at the end of purging.

There's a lot of little broken things, really - I think the worst at the moment is governing ethics attraction not working.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is there a write up anywhere on how exactly Livestock pops work

I was thinking of using Biological Mastery to specialize a race for no other purpose than to fulfill all food needs of the empire but I'm not sure how to do this or if it's even advisable.

Seems like it'd be fun though :v:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there a write up anywhere on how exactly Livestock pops work

I was thinking of using Biological Mastery to specialize a race for no other purpose than to fulfill all food needs of the empire but I'm not sure how to do this or if it's even advisable.

Seems like it'd be fun though :v:

If it makes you feel better, I fed my entire race of space elves in my last game using gene modded delicious humans, purely because I thought it was funny.

And in cmy current fanatical purifiers game, they are being fed entirely by 'processed' primitive races.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 28, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Do you have to feed livestock?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you have to feed livestock?

You don't have to feed 'processing' pops so I'm assuming you don't have to feed livestock either, otherwise they would be even more garbage than they already are.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also the pysichic ascension species swap bug and migration treaties not doing anything for some people.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

I think they may actually get the unity? At least, I found an event for it. It just happens silently at the end of purging.

There's a lot of little broken things, really - I think the worst at the moment is governing ethics attraction not working.

I was watching it real carefully, and I didn't see any Unity gain, beginning or end of purge. Certainly there were no non-hidden events.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Place the cheapest defense station with a snare in the middle of a system. The enemy fleet warps it, but gets pulled to the middle. They instantly vaporize the station, but now they have to travel out to the edge of the system to warp out. Do this for several systems in a row and you've probably doubled their travel time and given your fleet a chance to get set up.

With Hyperlanes-only, of course.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

I was watching it real carefully, and I didn't see any Unity gain, beginning or end of purge. Certainly there were no non-hidden events.

Yeah, but the code does call a hidden event to give FPs Unity after a pop's purge is complete. It may or may not actually work but that's how it's SUPPOSED to work.

It looks like it gives 6 unity per pop, which seems way too low and doesn't scale with size AT ALL. But on the bright side, now I know how to do the same thing when FPs bomb pops from orbit.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 28, 2017

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Dolash posted:

The latest DLC has me thinking about playing again, but catching up also leads to reading about planned future updates and fixes that make me want to hold off for those too. But of course, I held off before because I'd read about Unity and thought I should wait until that comes out.

Something tells me waiting forever for perfect conditions is probably non-optimal but it's hard to snap out of.

I skipped every update from Leviathans/War in Heaven to Utopia because of the same feeling. Bought both when Utopia released and spent a good 30+ hours into the game since then.

The game right now is really amazing. The changes to warscore alone make wars much less tedious, and the Utopia content itself is a very rewarding addition to mid-late game.

The 1.6 changes look nice, but they're not essential at all to enjoy the game as it stands right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

El Disco posted:

Place the cheapest defense station with a snare in the middle of a system. The enemy fleet warps it, but gets pulled to the middle. They instantly vaporize the station, but now they have to travel out to the edge of the system to warp out. Do this for several systems in a row and you've probably doubled their travel time and given your fleet a chance to get set up.

With Hyperlanes-only, of course.

The ol speed bump class station.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

It looks like it gives 6 unity per pop, which seems way too low and doesn't scale with size AT ALL.
Sure it does, in that the number of pops you're going to be purging scales with size.

Admittedly, six per pop over even a 5-year purge timetable is a pretty crappy rate of return. Just one pop out of ten on a 2-unity building would give you, um. Twice as much, even before any bonuses.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dolash posted:

I delayed a couple weeks and then played it pretty recently and thought that the game pretty much still has all the same nagging issues that become really annoying after playing for a little while, including a lot of things that I can't help but think "holy moly it's almost a year after release how is this or that not fixed." I still had fun with it but I feel like it's still in a position that if you liked it at release you'll like it now and if you didn't then you probably still won't.

Honestly it probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to just forget Stellaris exists for the next 4-5 years while they fix it like all their products.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

Sure it does, in that the number of pops you're going to be purging scales with size.

Admittedly, six per pop over even a 5-year purge timetable is a pretty crappy rate of return. Just one pop out of ten on a 2-unity building would give you, um. Twice as much, even before any bonuses.

Yeah, but the cost of anything using Unity will go up way faster than that. Purging an entire 25-size planet gets you 150 unity, maximum.

It doesn't take many unlocked traditions or many colonies to go way past that in costs. Looking at a 2245 save from my recent Inward Perfection game, with only 3 colonies but 11 traditions and the cost for the next one is already 1700 - and any empire that's going on a purging spree is going to have more colonies and more pops than that, they'll need them for fleet cap if nothing else.

(though now I'd like to see someone play a Fanatic Purifier as a tall game.)

This may be intentional but as a bonus it's kinda weak.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 28, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I literally don't think its possible to play a tall FP, or at least possible to do so without going insane. Even if you could maintain total military dominance somehow, you'd rapidly start to lack border projection, and the current truce timers would give them time to recolonise all the planets you'd just made them cleanse, and you'd be trapped in an endless cycle.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Purifiers should honestly just be in forever-war with all contacts instead of just locking them out of diplomacy options. When in conflict, any planet they take or someone else takes from them should change hands immediately and for regular empires you'd get the option to liberate it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
That would really mess with the diplomacy of other empires as you can't do a bunch of stuff with an empire currently at war. I would guess if they already thought of that it was going to take too much work to change for the time being until they do their war and diplomacy revamp.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm playing non-fanatical pacifist and I likewise had huge troubles trying to make a federation until the War in Heaven solved that problem. Even just having it set to defensive wars only ensured almost nobody wanted to join up, even if they themselves weren't militarist (which half the galaxy was). It was more then a little irritating.

Speaking of, my current game is, uh, quite the loving thing, thanks to some mods. Namely, the LEX.

I was rolling Pacifist/Egalitarian/Spiritualist, so I could be space elf hippies. It was going really good! Lots of early expansion opportunities, and I tend to be pretty fastidious about keeping my fleet in order, so I never had to worry about the aggressive slave empire to the north starting any poo poo. In fact, due to me being the only egalitarian empire, I was getting lots of colonies all OVER the place, as planets rebelled against their horrible overlords and joined my co-op. Still though, things weren't going SUPER great, because I was the only egalitarian, and maybe the only pacifist? And nobody wanted to join my federation. And in fact, there were no federations at all, period. So, wanting to spice things up and grow, I had just begun a war of liberation against the slave empire north of me...when the xenophobes next to said slave empire started to get, uh, interested. And then the xenophile FE to the southeast started to get interested in turn, and soon enough, it's War in Heaven time. I somehow end up the leader of the unaligned federation (and NOW everyone wants to join up, the fuckers), the xenophiles declare war on us, and we beat them back because my fleet is absurd. At the time, I have a small colony near the xenophiles that I don't actually have to defend a lot, because for whatever reason the xenophiles themselves weren't doing a whole lot in this war - it's vassals were doing all the assaulting. This colony was in one of LEX's systems; gaia world with four pillars on the planet, and four corresponding obelisks in the system. I know it'll go to hell, I also think, fuckin' whatever. Deal with that later.

The War in Heaven is going well...when I get the notification that Weird poo poo is afoot, and sure enough, the Unbidden pop in. Directly inside my empire, like, right in the loving middle of it. The Xenophile FE immediately sues for a simple peace, which I agree to, and I go up to deal with the Unbidden. Only to find that my fleet is, in fact, absurd, and I destroy the Unbidden before they can even lay a single anchor down. While I'm routing the Unbidden entirely, that LEX colony is telling me that poo poo is getting weird, and I kinda ignore it because there's not much I can do about it.

And then that colony disappears.

And so does all colonies on the systems around it.

And so does all territory even REMOTELY around it.

One of my biggest allies in the federation has lost 3/4ths of their territory. The xenophile FE may as well be GONE. That entire corner of space is now simply called "The Garden," and it is filled to the brim with leviathan level enemies. Just a loving TON of them.

As it currently stands, one of my federation partners has dropped out to become my vassal straight up. The rest of my federation wanted to declare war on the other FE and it's vassals, the xenophobic one. There's technically a third spiritualist FE in the upper corner just keeping to itself. On my part, I'm absorbing that vassal into becoming a full blown sector, as I rebuild my fleet and eye what remains of the empire to the north, eager to finally destroy it and bring it's people FREEDOM.

All said and done, I'm still blown away from the tone event that just ripped apart almost the entire southern part of the map, destroying a full awakened FE and shredding some of my allies in the process. It was awesome in the best and worst ways.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

HiKaizer posted:

That would really mess with the diplomacy of other empires as you can't do a bunch of stuff with an empire currently at war. I would guess if they already thought of that it was going to take too much work to change for the time being until they do their war and diplomacy revamp.

presumably the code to handle that situation already exists, since afaik the endgame crisis empires don't cause that problem

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Playing my first game and everything is going swimmingly but I just encountered something I can't figure out and apparently isn't being talked about anywhere I could find.

I just conquered a hive mind empire and a decade afterwards I noticed some of my factions weren't happy with some of my pop rights. Confused, I looked around and sure enough the hive mind pops have like no rights. The problem is, I can't increase them. The only clue is a message saying something like "These mindless drones can't be integrated into society". So is there a way around this because I'd really like to grant them full citizenship like everyone else.

Or is it impossible to give a hive mind rights? If so that doesn't make sense since it should be the same as granting my neighbor Gary rights. The message also makes it sound like only the drones are left and the queen is dead. In that case it would make more sense but I feel like someone should have told me the queen died. She gave me the standard surrender message when the war was over.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I Am A Robot posted:

Playing my first game and everything is going swimmingly but I just encountered something I can't figure out and apparently isn't being talked about anywhere I could find.

I just conquered a hive mind empire and a decade afterwards I noticed some of my factions weren't happy with some of my pop rights. Confused, I looked around and sure enough the hive mind pops have like no rights. The problem is, I can't increase them. The only clue is a message saying something like "These mindless drones can't be integrated into society". So is there a way around this because I'd really like to grant them full citizenship like everyone else.

Or is it impossible to give a hive mind rights? If so that doesn't make sense since it should be the same as granting my neighbor Gary rights. The message also makes it sound like only the drones are left and the queen is dead. In that case it would make more sense but I feel like someone should have told me the queen died. She gave me the standard surrender message when the war was over.

They couldn't figure out how to balance the game or implement proper mechanics for dealing with hive-mind pops so your nation, regardless of policies, brutally genocides them. The excuse is that, separated from the hive they all die off, but mechanically it's treated as you purposefully exterminating them in a full on genocide and your factions get angry. Hives are forced to do the same to any planets they conquer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

Wiz's main concern with "lots of small fleets" was that they are fundamentally unfun to manage, since the AI can do it with ease but it's tedious at best for humans, especially in maps as big as Stellaris. Sort of like the infinite city spam/sleaze from Civ. What might be neat is if you could create "Sector Defense Forces" that are sort of active response fleets within your territory, maybe?

I think the big issue is that doomstack is just flat out the optimal way to play for people, since it maximizes your damage, which means you win fights faster, thus minimizing damage taken, and making buffs cheap (one admiral for all). Something like combat with could be cool but I think if I had to actively manage more than 2-3 fleets, I'd get pretty cranky.

It's not fun because of stellaris combat/UI system. managing 10+ fleets is no problem
It's also not good, because admirals are so hard to come by, and you need those buffs for your fleet.

The limit on leaders is hilarious low, combined with influence being rare, and that leaders die even, and so much fighting on where to put them.
Unlimited leaders would be good, influence would be the limit anyway

If they want to spice up combat, they should look at HOI4 or similar..
Right now fleet combat is a blob battle, and land combat is 100% certain victory and tedious to play out

• Locked thread