Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cowcaster posted:

also on a related note it has come to my attention that i can hone snowspell strike, is that worth it or should i save those precious power/wind/ice crystals for crafting a 6* i don't have yet?

I wouldn't. Snowspell strike shines if you take someone with runic, at which point rank doesn't matter.

Cowcaster posted:

it's frustrating because seeing the crystal costs on honing meltdown means those two black two earth crystals are tantalizing

is meltdown just that good that bringing it along with two casts is a good idea?

Yes, assuming you need honed black magic at all. Between r1 meltdown and a r2 chain-gas you should be ready to start up your bsb and not give a poo poo about hones for the rest of the fight. It is better damage than taking a second r2 chain-gas you'll probably not need to fully use.

If you aren't hitting weaknesses or you don't have decent BSBs to jump into I'm not sure why you should bother with black magic at all.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean, theoretically not everyone is drowning in bsb's

however, i am, so your advice is noted

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm drowning in mage bursts and mag buffs but i only have two mako might so y'know.

Cowcaster posted:

is meltdown just that good that bringing it along with two casts is a good idea?

only as a slot-filler

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

only as a slot-filler

Bzzzzzzt. No. Wrong. Meltdown is goddamn amazing and everyone with even a decent mage team should craft it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Many don't bother mastering it because yeah you have to stall for the crystal to change to the right elements. Wait too long and you die, so it's just a dice roll if you get the 2 elements you need.

If you are kitted out well enough, you only need to nab one of the weaknesses for mastery. That's how I did it finally, and I'm sure it involved a decent amount of luck still (and there's zero margin for error on all the other medal conditions, so your team has to be pretty stacked), but it was way less painful that trying to wait for both of the correct weaknesses to show up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

iamsosmrt posted:

Only one question. To use legendary relics, do you still need to complete the record sphere for the respective character?

No. Once you master an LMR, it automatically unlocks their legend materia slots even if you haven't dived them. The only one I've pulled so far in JP is for Red XIII, and he's only level 42 so I can't even access his regular record spheres yet, but he can still equip the LM. However, you still need to complete their record spheres to access their actual Legend Sphere grid for the stat bonuses and their natural LMs.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Bzzzzzzt. No. Wrong. Meltdown is goddamn amazing and everyone with even a decent mage team should craft it.

i have it at r2. it's nice. it is not goddamn amazing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i really dislike the idea of having to sandbag it to beat a boss, and that funnels into why it's taken me so long to earn any of the 6* records despite having cleared all the minion dungeons for every one, since to a man they all have some weird mechanic going on to discourage typical play. It doesn't help that the gimmicks also seem really poorly explained in game i.e. i just did ultima weapon and the advice runs along the lines of "sometimes the sphere that appears does some things when you hit it! good luck!" well thanks dr. mog that's useful

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

wizard on a water slide posted:

I like this one

Hermes must be quite the diva in Ivalice :wink:

Nah, it's just the latest luxury brand fashion crossover; first Lightning for Louis Vuitton, now this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Prav posted:

i have it at r2. it's nice. it is not goddamn amazing.

i mean i've got chain fire and chain earth at r2 each so that's 4 casts at 2 hits each. there's no wind black magic. so a rank 1 meltdown's got 2 casts at 3 hits each that covers fire wind and earth.

It's a conundrum.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

also on a related note it has come to my attention that i can hone snowspell strike, is that worth it or should i save those precious power/wind/ice crystals for crafting a 6* i don't have yet?

Depends on who your main Spellblade user is.

Do you run Bartz or Squall? By all means, hone up Snowspell Strike, it'll do serious work for you, especially with an enelement SB.
Do you run Celes? Keep Snowspell Strike, but consider not honing it up; Runic will recharge it well enough.
Do you run anybody else? Go ahead and smash Snowspell, Northern Cross uses the exact same orbs and is available on a lot more people.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i've got chain fire and chain earth at r2 each so that's 4 casts at 2 hits each. there's no wind black magic. so a rank 1 meltdown's got 2 casts at 3 hits each that covers fire wind and earth.

It's a conundrum.

Meltdown is really good - 3 hits on a strong spell that is really easy to boost, including one element that is tricky for a mage team to hit otherwise. That being said, unless you have been farming like crazy, even with the crystals from mastering Kaiser Dragon you probably won't have enough to take it to R2.

I think we are getting a decent pile of crystals in one of the big updates coming at some nebulous point in the future, so it's probably not worth stressing over too much right now anyway. Two extra casts of Meltdown aren't going to be the deciding factor in any fight, and R1 Meltdown is still totally worth bringing to most fights assuming you've got another skill with enough hones to ideally get your BSB going.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Between 2 high end wrathable mage bsbs and RWing onion BSB I've pretty much stopped needing honed black magic. I realize that I've been incredibly lucky, for reference my first ever pull included Tyro's wall and Gilgamesh's BSB.

I used to use meltdown with Vanille's elixer medica, but I finally picked up two healing BSBs during the anniversary so Vanille has been phased out until I get her BSB.

Maybe the new 4* witch spells might get some use with Ashe? I have her BSB and OSB so just spamming onion seems like a waste when I could RW sheepsong instead and get a ton more healing between the hi regen and her c1.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

Depends on who your main Spellblade user is.

Do you run Bartz or Squall? By all means, hone up Snowspell Strike, it'll do serious work for you, especially with an enelement SB.
Do you run Celes? Keep Snowspell Strike, but consider not honing it up; Runic will recharge it well enough.
Do you run anybody else? Go ahead and smash Snowspell, Northern Cross uses the exact same orbs and is available on a lot more people.

So, I've got Delita, Orlandeau, and Celes, and Celes has runic. On Delita I made and shattered a snowspell, and I had just enough motes left over to let Orlandeau have 6* spellblade but not get an extra copy of snowstrike to shatter.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

So, I've got Delita, Orlandeau, and Celes, and Celes has runic. On Delita I made and shattered a snowspell, and I had just enough motes left over to let Orlandeau have 6* spellblade but not get an extra copy of snowstrike to shatter.

Celes will do fine with the twinstrikes; Snowspell is a little stronger but it's not worth losing sleep over. It's mostly notable for Bartz (with his enwind SBs) and Squall (with his enice). Orlandu and Delita would much rather have Saint Cross to play off elemental gimmicks anyway, I think.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Celes will do fine with the twinstrikes; Snowspell is a little stronger but it's not worth losing sleep over. It's mostly notable for Bartz (with his enwind SBs) and Squall (with his enice). Orlandu and Delita would much rather have Saint Cross to play off elemental gimmicks anyway, I think.

That said, if you have either squall's enice or Butz's enwind, defonitely hone snowspell. With a cloud USB RW In the near future, that's one of the best damage combos in the game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Trying to clear up some skill space and man I've got a bunch of random 5* skills that I never use, but I keep hoarding them ~just in case~

I should probably break some down eventually, but I dunno what to get rid of.

I have Aegis Strike, which I can probably get rid of since I'm never ever going to hone it and I've already got Beatrix's BSB for AoE Holy damage, but then again shattering 6* stuff is way scarier than 5*.

Rapid Fire is basically strictly worse than Tempest Snipe, right? Or did I misremember what someone said about that.

And I think I can ditch Morbid Countdown too, since I've never used it and can't imagine ever using it over Memento Mori + Dark Zone on a dark mage. I've also got Reaping Scythe, which seems pretty bad. I never run a physical dark team unless I'm hitting a weakness anyway, but the few times I've used it have been pretty underwhelming.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Woo! Got the rafa BSB!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Trying to clear up some skill space and man I've got a bunch of random 5* skills that I never use, but I keep hoarding them ~just in case~

I should probably break some down eventually, but I dunno what to get rid of.

I have Aegis Strike, which I can probably get rid of since I'm never ever going to hone it and I've already got Beatrix's BSB for AoE Holy damage, but then again shattering 6* stuff is way scarier than 5*.

Rapid Fire is basically strictly worse than Tempest Snipe, right? Or did I misremember what someone said about that.

And I think I can ditch Morbid Countdown too, since I've never used it and can't imagine ever using it over Memento Mori + Dark Zone on a dark mage. I've also got Reaping Scythe, which seems pretty bad. I never run a physical dark team unless I'm hitting a weakness anyway, but the few times I've used it have been pretty underwhelming.
I cleared out my skill list a few days ago and yeah, Reaping Scythe didn't make the cut. Mainly because I have a few physical Dark BSBs, but with better physical Dark skills on the horizon and even the Sanguine Cross buff it seemed like it was time to let it go.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
USB on the dollar!

Back to saving for next fest.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 28, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Dollar pull, nada.
50 pull because I wanted Ramza's USB: Ramza's USB.

Thank you Dr. Mog.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well, threw in 50 mythril for a shot at ramza's ultra soul break and walked away with delita's SSB (which despite giving him snowstrike he was literally the only FFT character i had not drawn a single soul break for, ever) and rafa's BSB, and a dupe lambent hat. that's not bad, not bad at all

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i threw in a single draw because i had a weird number of 73 mythril so i'd still have 50 in the barrel, got delita's BSB. i'm out.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Still can't play the damned game, anyone else stuck?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Guess I won the dollar pull.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess I won the dollar pull.

I'm mad if that thing doesn't include your own party in "random targets".

OneTwentySix posted:

*raises paw*

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

OneTwentySix posted:

Uninstall/reinstall worked for me

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I've done that half a dozen times with no change.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Dupe Ovelia hat/11. rear end in a top hat game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OneTwentySix posted:

I've done that half a dozen times with no change.

yea, I reinstalled to no avail

iOS?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Dupe Ovelia hat/11. rear end in a top hat game.

that or grand armor or genji gloves/11 scared the poo poo out of me.

So happy I got two new bursts. FFT <3 me and I <3 FFT.

Gotterdammerung
Jun 16, 2003

iOS?

Still the same. Super annoying. I sent their Facebook page a message and haven't heard back.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I got a response from support re: my weird connection issues in the Orthos fight which amounted to "we're not really sure, just try reinstalling". If I have it synced to Game Center, I should be pretty safe with not losing anything/having it recognize my account and not lose all my stuff right?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm on Android. Just downloaded BlueStacks and got on on my PC, so I got my mythril, but no dice on​ phone.

Blockhead
Jun 6, 2003

turtle power

iOS?

I'm on iOS as well. I uninstalled, reset my phone and then reinstalled and it started working.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
2/11, no dupes but Ovelia hat and ??? robe. Meanwhile a buddy has SG, Shout, Chant, and got Ramza's USB. It'd be cool to have any meta defining SBs other than SG, super loving tired of Tyro and want cool poo poo too :mad:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Crap, now that I updated Android, the touch detection for this game is suddenly off. I recall other people were having a similar issue. Is there a good solution for this?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dunno if I want to pull on this given the next like, 5 DU Lucky Draws are going to include FFT.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guardbringer and Tempest Snipe. Are they any good? How to best use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I think I won this banner earlier

• Locked thread