Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Andrevian posted:

Best thirty grand ever spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
lol

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

alright then spurs it is go rockets (bitch)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Holy wow... Memphis just went brain dead.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
ah that sucks

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

well then

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
cosmic

justice

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Feel for the Grizzlies. My boy Nick makes me like them. Soon our teams will go fishing together, my friend.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
lmao

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress the Grizzlies and their trash foul calls

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i love that randolph got to shoot a 3

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haven't followed the NBA very long, but I'm starting to get the feeling Spurs fans are like the Cardinals fans of the NBA.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Great Memphis crowd but dang Kawhi is the second best player in the league probably

Conley was real good

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

PostNouveau posted:

I haven't followed the NBA very long, but I'm starting to get the feeling Spurs fans are like the Cardinals fans of the NBA.

yankees fans of the nfl

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

they aren't that bad because there aren't that many of them

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

PostNouveau posted:

Cardinals have fans?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

There really aren't enough to qualify.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the grizzlies had a loving mountain of grit and grind jesus chrsit

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god no more seeing that douche Fizdale, adios bitch!

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Rockets Spurs bitch gently caress mark cuban

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bashez posted:

Cardinals have fans?

He's talking about birding

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

Cardinals have fans?

The St. Louis Cardinals? Yeah, they're pretty obsessed with doing things the right way and everything good that happens to them is karma because all other teams are full of bad people and bad fans.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
you guys lost to an ancient frenchman
listen to him condescendingly compliment you after molesting you
I toxxed to harakiri, I was ready for Nick to deliver his duty as Second and decapitate me after I disemboweled myself, your nuisance of a team should commit collective suicide
ya'll should just kill yourselves

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PostNouveau posted:

Depending on the year or the series the Spurs and their fans are either heroes or villains of this forum. Not sure how that compares to baseball fandom.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The 6th greatest Houston Rockets player in history: Marc Gasol

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
That silence was sweet music. The sweetest music in my life.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the grizz are awesome and amazing and i salute them

i wish they got to play someone else so i could cheer for them

spurs got lucky there was no tony allen (though his lack of offense might have actually hampered the grizz)

grizz fans, you guys are amazing and your loyalty and faith is among the best in sports

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pftttttttt, who the gently caress green-lit a series about Charles Barkley going around the country to talk about race?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Man Scottie Pippen still looks great

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

PostNouveau posted:

The St. Louis Cardinals? Yeah, they're pretty obsessed with doing things the right way and everything good that happens to them is karma because all other teams are full of bad people and bad fans.

Ah I thought we were talking about the Arizona Cardinals.

In that case yes, cheering against the Spurs is a moral failing.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
And yeah, the grizz are great. gently caress the spineless refs though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

RaySmuckles posted:

the grizz are awesome and amazing and i salute them

i wish they got to play someone else so i could cheer for them

spurs got lucky there was no tony allen (though his lack of offense might have actually hampered the grizz)

grizz fans, you guys are amazing and your loyalty and faith is among the best in sports

I really so wish they would play someone not the Spurs. I actually like everyone in the team but ZBo and like to watch them play.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
turned on postgame to hear Pop gushing about the Grizz and Mike

not disappointed

LOL

"did you just hear him?

can you give him your notes?"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

PostNouveau posted:

ooo i answered this long form in another thread

EvanTH posted:

My hot take:

Rivalries don't exist so much in professional basketball because rivalries aren't so much about the teams as they are about fanbase vs. fanbase, and basketball fans are the most mature of any of the sports viewers, tending to be friendly to everyone and glad to share their love of the sport.

Red Sox v. Yankees is a rivalry because fans of both teams are lifelong belligerent assholes. Same with Pats v. Jets. Same with every group of college fans vs. every other group of college fans. Basketball folks are more like "ahh heck these guys always beat us, but I love the way their bench power forward sees passing lines and I wish my team would play that well :( what is wrong with my team why do we always lose to the Bulls"

Instead of rivalries, basketball just has rear end in a top hat Fan Base Of The Moment that is mostly disliked by the other fans (over the last decade or so I believe this went something like Lakers, Heat, Warriors. Spurs fans have been unable to rise to the status of hatred because it is hard to rise to anything when you weigh over 300lbs).

There's a bunch of other stuff around that, frequent trades and the sorta incestuous nature of AAU means a ton of "rivals" on opposing teams are basically childhood friends so things don't get as heated during play as they might in sports with a larger player base, this final sentence is really an excuse to post the two MVP candidates going dick-to-dick after their recent FACE-OFF
https://streamable.com/ky19t

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
P.O.P.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

ooo i answered this long form in another thread

Fat joke, eh? Stay classy, boston!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Pop is a national treasure and i wish that i lived in the alternate universe where he went into politics instead of sports after the Air Force

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ah yeah sorry Billy Crystal, that's a hard turn off. I have no desire to hear his Seinfeldian-Anti-Dentiteesque Clippers Jokes.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

sorta i guess

the spurs have "done things the right way" for literally decades straight though, being arguably the best team in organized sports over a period of like 20 years, even potentially going back like 30+.

they don't get the hype other teams get and that rubs people the wrong way considering how long they've been good.

i wouldn't call it "karma" nor would i judge them on based on this one anomalous series. the grizz play unique hard nosed basketball that rubs everyone they go against the wrong way. its just who they are. its grit and grind. the grizz are my #2 team in the league because they're so drat lovable/respectable.

judging spurs and their fans when going against memphis is unfair to the spurs. follow the thread during the next round when they play the polar opposite team the rockets. might change you opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Shea is a spurs fan and he's pretty much delightful all around

• Locked thread