Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

Is there a gdt for tonight .

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818639

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Butch Jones showed up and now I really hope no Tennessee player gets drafted tonight

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

pubic works project posted:

What's up my dude
Just graduated from college

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Current crowd mood, drunk and optimistic

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This guy has the best live coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGCLAk7dGs

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Philly isn't gonna draft Foster or Mixon apparently

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Butch Jones showed up and now I really hope no Tennessee player gets drafted tonight

If Barnett makes it out of the first round I will be blown away

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

this is the most excited I've been for a draft since booing the Benson pick

the highest the bears have selected in the NFL era, likely the highest in my lifetime (because the NFL favors the big city teams too much to let them be insanely bad losers instead of mediocre)

too bad it's in a year where the best players are in less prestigious positions (te, SS) , and the other best guys are injured (fs, cb) or have other huge flaws like the defensive ends

After trading up for Trubisky, you can be this excited next year.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

89 posted:

Philly isn't gonna draft Foster or Mixon apparently

Howard is available still, holy hell! I would be absolutely ecstatic

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Is QB "ball velocity" really a thing or nah?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Joey Freshwater posted:

If Barnett makes it out of the first round I will be blown away

Titans took him 2 picks ago

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

It's a thing. Someone posted a comparison way earlier in the thread and based on past results it seems to mostly be something you need a certain level of to be a successful QB, which makes sense.

So it isn't a big deal to have the most velocity in a given class (and most of the top guys have sucked if I remember right), but you do need to be able to put a certain amount of zip on the ball to succeed.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Grittybeard posted:

It's a thing. Someone posted a comparison way earlier in the thread and based on past results it seems to mostly be something you need a certain level of to be a successful QB, which makes sense.

So it isn't a big deal to have the most velocity in a given class (and most of the top guys have sucked if I remember right), but you do need to be able to put a certain amount of zip on the ball to succeed.

In that case I am surprised Watson didn't drop out of the 1st round.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lasagna Pilot posted:

For certain things, without a doubt. Check out cams goal line throw to dickson against atlanta for instance. Alex smith isnt making that throw.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Titans took him 2 picks ago

No we didn't you filthy troll

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Texans cowboys bitch

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Where is Romo. Is he with Houston

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

anne frank fanfic posted:

Where is Romo. Is he with Houston

CBS

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

In order of likelihood

1. Seahawks trade back in 1st round gran tredavious, draft Qb in 2nd
2. Seahawks trade back to 2nd round, get CB/S, get QB in 2nd
3. Draft some crap OL,
4. TJ Watt/taco charlton
5. Kevin King
6. John Ross falls

First 2 happened

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wait. WAIT. WAIT. I missed this...we picked a TE in Round 1?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

We picked a linebacker

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What's this I hear about Trubisky loving to kiss titties?

I'm a fan of that, too. Mitch sounds like a cool dude.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
IMO the Texans just closed their window

Time to rebuild. Trade JJ and Clowney and Nuk

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Intruder posted:

IMO the Texans just closed their window

Time to rebuild. Trade JJ and Clowney and Nuk

Yes, please tank next year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

From now on I'm going to call him Oily Head Rick

Remember when he said he felt no pressure to take a QB?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Intruder posted:

From now on I'm going to call him Oily Head Rick

Remember when he said he felt no pressure to take a QB?

What did they lose to trade up?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

What did they lose to trade up?

Next year's first which will probably be a top 10 pick

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Intruder posted:

Next year's first which will probably be a top 10 pick

So they traded up to get a So-so quarterback who has no offensive line to defend him?
All the good OTs or OGs will be gone by the time Texans get their next pick.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

With the way Chiefs fans are partying tonight you'd think we won a playoff game

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kiimo posted:

With the way Chiefs fans are partying tonight you'd think we won a playoff game

Give it time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Every single draft pick is a lottery ticket. Nothing is guaranteed. It's all just voodoo and tea leaves. Good will be bad and bad will be good. By the end of the year, ten UDFAs will be playing better than ten first round picks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been screaming Mahomes for two months I'm ecstatic

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I've been screaming Mahomes for two months I'm ecstatic

I said this in the other thread but I originally wanted Mahomes at 27 in what I would have thought of as a ridiculous overdraft at the time or in the second round. As it turns out he never would have lasted that long because the NFL is insane about QBs and he got tons of hype, so this is probably about what it would have taken to get him.

But man even though I like him that's too much to give up unless he hits, and Jesus he's not the most likely guy to actually hit to put it kindly. I'm already dreading hearing dumb people yell for him to start this year when Alex has one of his typically underwhelming games, Mahomes needs lots of time to get rid of bad habits.

Having said all that if everything works out and Andy is as amazing as he's shown himself to be in the past it could be awesome. Eventually. Just almost certainly not now.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I figured the Niners would gently caress up draft day pretty bad but instead they did great. I'm confused.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I guess I'm okay with the Bucs.

Give them a B. Maybe a B-

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^
What? Tampa did exactly what you're supposed to do, let talent fall to you while everyone else goes crazy.

All that CTE has given Lynch otherworldly insight into the very fabric of the NFL. As far as explanations go that's the best I got.

I mean how does a deal like that Chicago trade even end up on the table? If San Fran proposed that poo poo to me I'd just flatly hang up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I said this in the other thread but I originally wanted Mahomes at 27 in what I would have thought of as a ridiculous overdraft at the time or in the second round. As it turns out he never would have lasted that long because the NFL is insane about QBs and he got tons of hype, so this is probably about what it would have taken to get him.

But man even though I like him that's too much to give up unless he hits, and Jesus he's not the most likely guy to actually hit to put it kindly. I'm already dreading hearing dumb people yell for him to start this year when Alex has one of his typically underwhelming games, Mahomes needs lots of time to get rid of bad habits.

Having said all that if everything works out and Andy is as amazing as he's shown himself to be in the past it could be awesome. Eventually. Just almost certainly not now.

Here's my thing. Some people today are saying the Chiefs paid too much and should have taken defense and stayed at 27.

We've done that. The Chiefs have drafted conservative for 34 years and what has it gotten us? Zero Super Bowl appearances. At some point you have to pull the trigger. Good on them for not doing it for a QB they didn't believe in. They were unilaterally 100% all for Mahomes, Reid said so in his press conference. So they had to move up 17 places and what we paid to do that is not much at all. Next year's top pick will also likely be late 20s. Who cares.

The Chiefs drafted Derrick Johnson, an incredible linebacker over Aaron Rodgers. Results speak for themselves.

So here's what I say to the detractors. You can argue that you know more than Reid, Dorsey and their draft war room and think Mahomes actually isn't that good. But you can't argue with the strategy. If you like a QB you go get him. This is an incredibly awesome move and I won't blame them one bit even if he busts. You have to swing at some point.

But all along I've stated that I believe in Mahomes and his negatives don't bother me at all.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/857974622486188032

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can the Browns trade 2 firsts in 2018, 1 in 2019, and offer to burn Brock Osweiler at the stake and we get Aaron Rodgers?

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I mean how does a deal like that Chicago trade even end up on the table? If San Fran proposed that poo poo to me I'd just flatly hang up.

"Hi the bears this is SF. We have an offer on the table from <another team> to trade up to #2 and they are obviously going to draft your guy. Would you like to beat their offer?"

SF was never going to draft Trubisky, but that doesn't mean that Trubisky was going to be available at #3.

• Locked thread