Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm fine with Vampires being the best school. It's what cements VC as a premier spellcasting faction, as they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Ammanas posted:

I admittedly didn't spend a lot of time with Cataph's, but I believe Gejnor's is a bit stronger. I didn't like some of the changes Cataph made to what certain spells did and didn't notice them being particularly potent. Gejnor's hits pretty fiestily, at higher difficulties it makes being severely outnumbered not a necessarily detriment to engagements. I want to fight 3 stacks with my one, but without some kind of force multiplier it simply isnt possible to win. Gejnor's mod can provide that.

I double checked it again, and the nice thing about Cataph's Closer to the Lore buffs is that not only does it tweak the spells, it tweaks a lot of other abilities. Those missile resistance skills that seem redundant if you're not on a flying mount? With the mod they give other stuff too depending on the race. Cataph's mod was meant to be a more reasonable mod to Molay's, which took a lot of the magic, wargear, and LL skills and went a little too hog wild with them. Cataph scaled it back a bit but still made it reasonably epic.

My memory is hazy but I know that a lot of the skills in any magic user's tree with Cataph's mod increase your winds reserve by some amount. So putting a second skill point in a spell not only reduces the cooldown it gives another 5/10 winds reserve. I found that with Legendary Lords, especially with appropriate wargear, you actually get a large pool of magic to work with. This means you can have another mage nerd of a different lore tagging along and it isn't a cumulative drain on your primary spellcaster.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vargs posted:

I'm fine with Vampires being the best school. It's what cements VC as a premier spellcasting faction, as they should be.

every faction is the best at spell casting

every warhammer faction, fantasy or 40K, is always the best at whatever

they are written as propaganda for who ever loves what ever the most

like pointy ears? Yep dem the best

like lizards? guess what, best

like humans? also best

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Like Grimgor? Grimgor is da best!!!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I just checked, Karl Franz is actually the best.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The fiction is dumb but to be fair, no one but high elves, lizards, and tzeentch chaos is portrayed to be the best spellcasters. The dark elves literally taught the vampires how to do necromancy and the high elves literally taught the humans everything. It's a big deal that high elf mages and lizards can just decide what lore they want to use on a whim but human casters have to dedicate their life to a single, specific one.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

they are really, really good at that specific one though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can confirm, did the research. Franz #1.

Also, I didn't think the Dark Elfs taught the VCs necromancy, I thought they picked it up with the Nagash stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Can confirm, did the research. Franz #1.

Also, I didn't think the Dark Elfs taught the VCs necromancy, I thought they picked it up with the Nagash stuff.
Nagash first learned dark magic from a captured(?) Dark Elf. He combined it with Death and created necromancy. At least, I think that's how it went.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

every faction is the best at spell casting

every warhammer faction, fantasy or 40K, is always the best at whatever

they are written as propaganda for who ever loves what ever the most

like pointy ears? Yep dem the best

like lizards? guess what, best

like humans? also best

I don't really care about the lore tbh. I just like it from a Total War: Warhammer gameplay perspective with VC as a faction that has zero ranged units and instead relies on super strong magic. It works and it makes them unique.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Safety Factor posted:

Nagash first learned dark magic from a captured(?) Dark Elf. He combined it with Death and created necromancy. At least, I think that's how it went.

Yup. Nagash, who had no inborn magical ability to start with, took knowledge of Dhar that he gained from the Dark Elves and mixed it with the mortuary cult's knowledge of Death magic to create what many consider to be an entirely new Wind of Magic. There's a reason he's one of the great magical geniuses of the world.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Pretty much. Vampires are basically the only people practicing necromancy as Nagash did it these days, since the Tomb Kings have done their level best to sand off all non-structural Pure loving Evil on the power that's animating them.

Their gimmick was that they explicitly had the weakest magic of any of the factions, but unlike everyone else, who had to worry about potentially not successfully casting, Tomb Kings were Push Button Receive Spell, on the grounds the exact same wizards have been casting the exact same seven spells for literal thousands of years.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ze Pollack posted:

the Tomb Kings have done their level best to sand off

:vince:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gently caress

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Tomb Kings be :fap:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
So you're saying Tomb Kings are secretly the only actual good guys in all of Warhammer.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

vorebane posted:

So you're saying Tomb Kings are secretly the only actual good least evil guys in all of Warhammer.

Slight fix, but bingo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

vorebane posted:

So you're saying Tomb Kings are secretly the only actual good guys in all of Warhammer.

Your average individual Tomb King is a petty, vendetta-obsessed rear end in a top hat with a legion of deathless warriors literally incapable of disobeying his commands at his back, accustomed to instant and unthinking obedience from his inferiors, a category that at last check included Everyone Who Isn't Nehekaran Royalty. The Vampire Counts at least need humans alive as livestock, and the forces of Chaos need worshippers; to him, the living are only worth keeping around for the novelty value. Sure, after a couple thousand years' worth of undeath in Fantasy Egypt novelty value counts for considerably more than it does to us, but you in agony is just as novel as you happy, and requires less effort to make happen.

Fortunately for the world at large and its continued state of not-being-used-as-toys-for-mummies, his vendettas with his father, grandmother, sister, three brothers, eighteen cousins, twelve aunts, twenty uncles, two legitimate sons, one illegitimate son, and two illegitimate daughters, all of whom share his immortality, his claim on the throne, and their own legions of deathless warriors, occupy most of his time.

And those are just the ones who had the chance to piss him off in life!

the Tomb Kings, the Lizardmen, the Skaven, and to a lesser extent the Empire are genuinely novel elements in a fantasy universe. CA captured what made the Empire excellent magnificently (hello, superhuman monstrosities against which no man could hope to stand in single combat. we call these things "guns.") and now we get to see how they handle the tricky three.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man o War Corsair is basically a jankier boat based Mount and Blade with Warhammer trappings. If you're a crazy man like me that's an appealing description.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Leitdorf is the best. A constant mad carnival of fun, but none of that creepy Slaanesh poo poo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I uploaded some screenshots from that Medieval 2 Warhammer mod I wrote a billion loving words about

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Man o War Corsair is basically a jankier boat based Mount and Blade with Warhammer trappings. If you're a crazy man like me that's an appealing description.

"Jankier than Mount and Blade" sounds like quite an accomplishment.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Vargs posted:

"Jankier than Mount and Blade" sounds like quite an accomplishment.

ive played Gmod mods with less jank

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
How do you guys feel about Steel Faith? I should be wrapping up my Chaos campaign soon and I'm looking at mods for my next campaign.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

How do you guys feel about Steel Faith? I should be wrapping up my Chaos campaign soon and I'm looking at mods for my next campaign.

I can vouch for it; apart from magic (which I feel needs some more buffs to some of the lores), I think the balance is great and factions really feel a lot more flavorful.

There's a lot of changes and I have to rack my brain to write up a thing on each of them, so instead I'll detail one of the more recent changes they did: a thing about Total Warhammer is that elite units tended to entirely replace older ones because they're just straight up better despite the costs and upkeep. The team made it so that apart from upkeep and cost tweaks, elite units generally now have less members but more powerful models in the fashion of Chaos' Aspiring Champions;. Bretonnia is probably the best example of this because the Grail units have extremely small unit counts but each man fights like the demigod the lore presents them to be. Instead of Knights of the Realm getting supplanted entirely by Grail Knights, the KotRs remain a better offensive unit against infantry mobs due to their 75-man count giving them a meatier charge, while the 26-man Grail Knight unit is much more suited to hunting down large units thanks to their innate anti-large bonus and higher defensive stats per man plus regeneration and vigour resistance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Does Plague of Rust permanently reduce the target's armor? It says 'Remains in Play' but also that it has only a 6 second duration so I'm confused.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's good in my book. Enough changes that I don't especially want to type them out, but it avoids the usual mod traps. Nothing stupid, no godawful spergy poo poo. It very much maintains the feel of the original game. The change mentioned above is probably the most notable one, and it makes for a fun time. Grail Guardians have six dudes on ultra in Steel Faith. It really makes them feel special and different rather than just being a flat upgrade from regular knights.

Steel Faith is miles ahead of Radious or Darth mods

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
On the subject of cool mods, I only just realized this existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWNks14gyI

Replaces the very skippable Beastmen minicampaign with a Storm of Chaos campaign that currently has Empire, Cult of Sigmar, Cult of Ulric, and Middenland playable factions along with new legendary lords/heroes/tech trees and what not. I've only just started poking around with it but seems pretty cool.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Dang, that looks great! Here's hoping CA fixes whatever is needed for him to enable co-op for this.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
http://kotaku.com/nfl-draft-pick-excited-to-spend-his-cash-on-a-gaming-pc-1794728643

NFL draftee excited to buy new computer to play Total War

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

madmac posted:

On the subject of cool mods, I only just realized this existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NWNks14gyI

Replaces the very skippable Beastmen minicampaign with a Storm of Chaos campaign that currently has Empire, Cult of Sigmar, Cult of Ulric, and Middenland playable factions along with new legendary lords/heroes/tech trees and what not. I've only just started poking around with it but seems pretty cool.

This looks really fun. And back when I tried to play the tabletop game at age 12, it was the Storm of Chaos era. I have the book he's taking stuff so drat if I'm not the target audience.

Also, I'm probably going to marine boot camp in november and my first thought was "I really want Total Warhammer 2 to come out before that."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

toasterwarrior posted:

I can vouch for it; apart from magic (which I feel needs some more buffs to some of the lores), I think the balance is great and factions really feel a lot more flavorful.

There's a lot of changes and I have to rack my brain to write up a thing on each of them, so instead I'll detail one of the more recent changes they did: a thing about Total Warhammer is that elite units tended to entirely replace older ones because they're just straight up better despite the costs and upkeep. The team made it so that apart from upkeep and cost tweaks, elite units generally now have less members but more powerful models in the fashion of Chaos' Aspiring Champions;. Bretonnia is probably the best example of this because the Grail units have extremely small unit counts but each man fights like the demigod the lore presents them to be. Instead of Knights of the Realm getting supplanted entirely by Grail Knights, the KotRs remain a better offensive unit against infantry mobs due to their 75-man count giving them a meatier charge, while the 26-man Grail Knight unit is much more suited to hunting down large units thanks to their innate anti-large bonus and higher defensive stats per man plus regeneration and vigour resistance.

It always made me laugh when people say radious mods just had better stronger units that just cost more with no idea of balance behind it then I think of the dwarves (and some ROR) where they are exactly the same thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

It always made me laugh when people say radious mods just had better stronger units that just cost more with no idea of balance behind it then I think of the dwarves (and some ROR) where they are exactly the same thing.

Speaking of which, Longbeards in SFO are 80-model units while Warriors are 100. Longbeards are pretty much better at everything, especially because they have Charge Defense vs All, but losing out on 20 models per unit does make planning out your frontline tougher if you replace Warriors entirely with them.

I actually don't mind RoRs being straight up better; enough of them get unique attributes and you can only have one of each kind so it doesn't really feel like they obsolete whole units. Funnily enough though, SFO does make some RoRs vastly different compared to their regular counterparts: the most prominent example I can think of are the Dragonback Slayers, which become a 12-model squad of Slayer pseudo-heroes instead of a 60-model unit.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 28, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still think they should have some bomb rear end Estalian/Tilean wardog units added to the RoRs instead of boring poo poo like "Sigmar's Sons"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
So I was thinking about Ammanas talking about using mages as force multipliers and had several ideas with that in mind :

Each lore's respective passive skill (aside from life and death) can have additional skill points invested in improving the effect. The buffs/debuffs last ten seconds after a spell is cast :
Metal- +10 armor/-10 armor to allies/enemies when a metal spell is cast
Fire- +25% fire spell damage when any spell is cast
Shadow- - 15 melee attack to enemy army ""
Light- - 10% missile resistance to enemy army ""
Beast- Vigor loss to enemy army ""
Celestial- +20% splash radius of all spells and abilities " "

Lore master skill: Depending on the Lore now gives additional bonuses on top of just cool down reduction. This might be something straightforward (like even more bonus damage for Lore of fire users), even bigger blast radii for celestial mages, a nice extra chunk of winds reserves, reduced spell windup time, additional aura passive abilities, or bonus magic resist.

Scaling:Spells dynamically scale based on the number of models in the target unit. For buffs, they get a bonus duration beyond x models in the unit. This makes them more effective on numerous weak units. The catch is that the cool down for that mage's spell doesn't even start until the buff wore off, so while it might last longer on one specific unit, you won't be able to cast it as frequently during the battle. Other units that benefit from being in the overcast radius don't get bonus duration. It also doesn't apply to buffs/debuffs that damage/heal the target. Some of the weaker/less cost effective vortex spells have their duration extended by hitting units (friendly or enemy) allowing them to be self sustaining and potentially deal a lot of damage if it scatters favorably.

Bolt spells get more distinction, since right now they all feel rather samey. This is reflected by having one stun the target on impact, travel much faster than others, have a particularly large blast on impact, ground flyers, damage towers/walls/gates, or be harmless to friendly units hit.

Now you get more benefits to using multiple mages in an army, and at higher levels will be just as effective, if not more so than artillery.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I know you guy don't like Arch Warhammer, but I thought some of you might be interested in this, it has a referral link that will get you 48% off Warhammer, and 75% off some other Total War games such as Medieval 2. (look in the description)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5mqnk4qRos

Sure, it means the guy get money because referral link, but can you really complain about discounts?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 28, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Panfilo posted:

Does Plague of Rust permanently reduce the target's armor? It says 'Remains in Play' but also that it has only a 6 second duration so I'm confused.

Interesting, I never noticed the "Remains in play" note. Could be because no one plays with Gelt.

Should you be able to test it in a custom battle?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Captain Beans posted:

Interesting, I never noticed the "Remains in play" note. Could be because no one plays with Gelt.

Should you be able to test it in a custom battle?

When I used it on a target the tool tip over the enemy unit indicated it was suffering - 30 armor and had the remains in play in blue text and it almost immediately vanishes. I'm assuming it's meant to be permanent which would make it a decent opener vs some lords.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If it's a permanent effect, that's actually really helpful. Especially if you can stack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
It just occurred to me that it might be due to Cataph's mod that changed it. The mod changes so many spell values I can't even remember what the stock values are off the top of my head. When I get home today I'll check the little red down arrow over the unit details (that shows exact stat buffs/debuffs) to see if the unit gets continuously affected and if it stacks.

• Locked thread