Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Sabra was pretty awesome in the Union Jack limited series from a few years ago.

I remember there was a bit of a flap a bit after that because it looked like she'd been killed off during "Ends of the Earth" in ASM, but I believe one of the writers came out and said she was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I believe the only groan-inducing thing involving Sabra (beside that original costume) was really forced tension between her and the Arabian Knight that was in the Union Jack series. Get this, they start out not liking each other, but then they grow to respect each other!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just realized why the name is so familiar to me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would like to imagine it's not just poor wording but that the 'Other current aliases' section really is suggesting that she also goes by Sweet Prickly Pear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

I would like to imagine it's not just poor wording but that the 'Other current aliases' section really is suggesting that she also goes by Sweet Prickly Pear.

That was Luke Cage's catchphrase before he focus grouped it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

Sabra was pretty awesome in the Union Jack limited series from a few years ago.

I remember there was a bit of a flap a bit after that because it looked like she'd been killed off during "Ends of the Earth" in ASM, but I believe one of the writers came out and said she was okay.

That was Silver Sable.

How the gently caress is she 240 pounds?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Soonmot posted:

That was Silver Sable.

No, it was Sabra. It's in her Wikipedia entry. Crossbones shot her.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sabra is actually almost always depicted as awesome and badass. The whole "she decided to dedicate her life to fighting crime and terrorism after her son was killed in a terrorist bombing" bit is a little cliche, but by and large she's pretty awesome. There's a bit in one of her first appearances in The Incredible Hulk where she's all "it has taken a monster to make her see this young Arab boy as a human being" which is pretty heavy-handed, too, now that I look.

Also the whole "Sabra and the Arabian Knight have issues but end up respecting each other" hearkens all the way back to the original Contest of Champions. It was her in Union Jack, btw.

As is probably inescapable, Sabra's ethnicity is almost always front and center - there was a teased plot (that got dropped) in New Warriors where she and Justice almost had a bit of a thing, essentially because 'well, they're both Jewish,' but there don't seem to be too many horribly offensive and/or stereotypical and/or poorly thought-out issues with her. Sabra is cool. People should like Sabra.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

No, it was Sabra. It's in her Wikipedia entry. Crossbones shot her.

welp, shows how memorable that was!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sabra has surprisingly little baggage for a mutant

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I always think of that Simpson's bit where Bart is explaining to Lisa about the short-lived 'Itchy and Scratchy and Friends' show when I run into characters like Sabra or Shamrock or whoever.

'Well the book was called the Contest of Champions so... they needed some champions.'

I would totally buy a book where Sabra battled Klu Klux Clam.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 56: Marvel Boy

I had to do a double take because I was 100% sure this was Quasar from the character model and thought the name was printed wrong. But no, it's Robert Grayson aka Marvel Boy or pretty much the first Quasar. A character that dates back farther than even the Fantastic Four. If any of you are familiar with him it will be almost exclusively from Agents of Atlas or the mini series by Jeff Parker from several years back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's from that weird forgotten era of characters Marvel technically owns from the 50s. A bunch of guys like him showed up during the Kree Skrull war as part of Rick Jones' imagination powers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, Marvel Boy's bands later went to Quasar (EDIT: and IIRC in Quasar's first few appearances he flat out wore Marvel Boy's costume). He confused me so much when I came across his entry in a Marvel Superheroes RPG sourcebook.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 25, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quasar literally debuted as Marvel Boy.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Justice also was a Marvel Boy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"the great video"?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's Latin for "to see".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel Boy was also a bad guy from a few issues of Fantastic Four in the 1970s (I'm guessing by Roy Thomas) under the name "Crusader".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Marvel Boy was also a bad guy from a few issues of Fantastic Four in the 1970s (I'm guessing by Roy Thomas) under the name "Crusader".

Specifically Fantastic Four #164, according to the "significant issues" bit in the posted entry there.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Fantastic Four #164: Discover what Marvel Boy has been up to since the 1950s, than watch him go crazy, kill a guy, and explode!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Endless Mike posted:

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

I like you sister more. Sorry, dude. :/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HitTheTargets posted:

I like you sister more. Sorry, dude. :/

Everyone prefers Sister Boy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

Wendell! Wendell, it's Marvel. Your cousin, Marvel Boy. You know those new bracelets you've been looking for? Well, listen to this!
[holds the receiver out]
[explodes]

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Ghostlight posted:

It's Latin for "to see".

maybe this is why the 90's Spiderman cartoon had Elektro as a russian dude. Like how in Pryde of the X-men, wolverine is australian because of one misreading of a joke

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 57: Krang

Primarily a Namor villain, this guy doesn't really get a lot of play because Namor doesn't really get much that passes for his own stories these days. I know him primarily from the First Mutant series where he had a very different look.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I guess I'm between gigs right now, just making ends meet as I guess what you would call a "professional" criminal? But I was previously the warlord of Atlantis and the head of a movie studio so I think I've got some serious leadership skills to apply in the right position. Personal strengths? I'm literally superhumanly strong, ambitious, amphibious, and a long term planner. My only real weakness is perhaps that I have no weaknesses - oh, and I can't survive out of water for more than nine minutes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

In a world where Atlanteans are running movie studios, I can only imagine that James Cameron's The Abyss was actually a romantic comedy.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Wait, Atlantis is a nation with a capital called Atlantis City? I'm used to DC where it's usually one and the same. How much more of the ocean do they control?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

Wait, Atlantis is a nation with a capital called Atlantis City? I'm used to DC where it's usually one and the same. How much more of the ocean do they control?

Depends on their status quo at the time; they've had conquests and expansions and contractions and diasporas and such.

This map is probably pretty out of date, but:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Is Seaweed Man the name of a city, a hero rooted to the seafloor, or just missing a comma?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Is Seaweed Man the name of a city, a hero rooted to the seafloor, or just missing a comma?

Something better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"And if you need anything, anything at all, just pull the cord and one of the staff will come up to your room."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's clearly Gossamer miscolored.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

It's Latin for "to see".

I didn't see the box at first so it looked like the great Video just liked to swear.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm pretty sure if your name is "Krang" then "Warlord Kang" technically isn't an alias...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha wtf? this minor namor villain at one point ran a movie studio, but the bibliography just talks about things other than his movie studio.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

dr dorcas must have had a rough time in middle school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This guy's basically just a less interesting version of Attuma. And no one gives a poo poo about Attuma.

• Locked thread