Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Tony Montana posted:

Of course. The calipers would count for a good percentage of the overall weight of a wheel assembly, minus the wheel. Moving it from the side to the bottom is exactly the sort of fractions of a percent that F1 is all about.

I flunked out of engineering after 1 year and went to like 3 Formula SAE design meetings while there and I still have a totally unreasonable hard on for minimizing unsprung weight. The first time I heard about unsprung aero I nearly had an aneurysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think I would've had a blast doing Formula SAE but all my ideas would've driven everybody else up the wall and I would've had zero credibility backing it up being in absolutely nothing related to that in my varied university career.

Edit: Really bad idea I've literally had to myself: a poor man's FRIC/active suspension for a kart using rotary valves.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 28, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

You may be thinking of the wet tires which were losing chunks of tread during the race and would probably send Red Bull into full on meltdown and asking for a pure aero formula if it happened in F1.

I'm fine with hovercraft racing

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

"These tires are despicable. It makes me sick to see the purity of our great sport raped like this. They need to put someone in prison before they tarnish this farce even more"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I think I would've had a blast doing Formula SAE but all my ideas would've driven everybody else up the wall and I would've had zero credibility backing it up being in absolutely nothing related to that in my varied university career.

Edit: Really bad idea I've literally had to myself: a poor man's FRIC/active suspension for a kart using rotary valves.

get 4 of those handbrake hydraulic cylinders, hook em up to a cylinder at each corner and then to a stick so you can make the cart move forward back and side to side.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

"Here's our guest, and they've died" is potentially funny the first time you see it, and because they had a different audience each time who'd never seen it before, they got the false impression that it was really funny and not tedious. Repeat for every tepid running gag

Actually that's a drat good point, the studio parts of Top Gear are filmed the week of transmission, so they can react to feedback.

They'd filmed the whole of TGT before they released episode 1.

So I imagine there's a lot of changes for season 2 that would normally have been made mid-season 1.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Watching Bernie walking through a paddock full of TVs crews and journalists talking to one guy while being completely ignored by everyone else would be tragic if it weren't so funny.

E: reading back, hey! I have an allotment, allotments are cool and good.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 28, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aww look it's the emptiest of all the stadiums. Even the corporate box seats have literally no one in them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
F1 back on, thank gently caress for that. Reasonable time too.

Race at 10pm Sunday, also good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Mercedes coat hanger has got bigger, wider, and uglier.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Do we really need the Billy Monger grief wanking? The Crofty chat show is bad enough as it is.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This reminds me of when I was going for my Learner's permit.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Renault mechanic's handbook

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
First Renault engine of the race weekend lunched, oh wait this is chuffing cool. He's re-set the car and is starting it up again while parked at the side of the track. Oh wait, Charlie said it was taking too long and made him turn it off again :( gently caress Charlie.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
What the?? Is that legit?

Seb's car sounding v nice.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 28, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Stroll constantly fighting his Williams its upseting. Vettels Ferrari looks planted.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/857873947936903168

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Good lord Crofty is appalling. It's like he feels the need to verbalise every dumb poo poo thought that pops into his empty head.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Halo14 posted:

What the?? Is that legit?

Yes.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mercedes all over the place

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bloody hell, that Force India bodywork explosion.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Bloody hell, that Force India bodywork explosion.

It is nice to get a peek at the engine every so often.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Powershift posted:

Is that a stoffel vandoorne on top of the coffee cup?

No, that's more of a Dutch stroopwafel.
Stoffel broke down and didn't make the picture. Which explains the missing Spanish tortilla as well.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/857894192776970240

To be fair to Lance, pit lane speed limiters are hard!!!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
How good is this? They're filling in the gap between F1 practice sessions with a 2013 Pikes Peak special.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferrari already on the third turbo. NOT GOOD!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Halo14 posted:

How good is this? They're filling in the gap between F1 practice sessions with a 2013 Pikes Peak special.

Pretty interesting. His climb was odd to watch. Honestly looked like he was driving really slowly and like he wasn't trying at all.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
15 grid penalty for Vandoorne. Fifth motor already.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

Pretty interesting. His climb was odd to watch. Honestly looked like he was driving really slowly and like he wasn't trying at all.

Yeah I know, would be fascinating watching them do it on dirt again. That '88 Climb Dance footage is downright scary.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

mrfart posted:

No, that's more of a Dutch stroopwafel.
Stoffel broke down and didn't make the picture. Which explains the missing Spanish tortilla as well.

There's some Duvel, though

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I know, would be fascinating watching them do it on dirt again. That '88 Climb Dance footage is downright scary.

Made my rear end in a top hat pucker, that's for sure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wow, they put Kimi through the ringer during the press conference. Punishment for the press black out?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I would pay a lot of money for a Felipe Massa Russian doll. Almost as much as CVC are being investigated for bribing the FIA for the 2013 concorde agreement.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Stoffel needs a new engine which means that this morning he was on his 4th elements and this afternoon he is on his 5th elements.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh well at least Stroll has done less laps than him.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Stoffel needs a new engine which means that this morning he was on his 4th elements and this afternoon he is on his 5th elements.

Sounds like he might have to give up on his car and find another means of transport. Something that requires a pass. Maybe even a multi-pass.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Holy poo poo Grossjean has the worst grip I've ever seen

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Sounds like he might have to give up on his car and find another means of transport. Something that requires a pass. Maybe even a multi-pass.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Grossjean is legit scared in there: "I've completely lost it into turn three! (Something about understeer) what the hell is going on!"

Followed by loving boring mcdoogle of all people implying he is a poor driver and that it was his own fault.

• Locked thread