Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

On June 3, 1958, the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear submarine, visited Everett and Seattle. In Seattle, crewmen dressed in civilian clothing were sent in to secretly buy 140 quarts of an automotive product containing sodium silicate (originally identified as Stop Leak) to repair a leaking condenser system. The Nautilus was en route to the North Pole on a top secret mission to cross the North Pole submerged.[18]

that's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

that's pretty cool

sodium silicate can also be used to preserve eggs

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
the whole north pole trip was a cover for the navy's secret love of pickled eggs

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Quote from the movie Young Frankenstein when Elizabeth and Frederick were saying goodbye to each other at the train station: Elizabeth (Madeline Kahn): "Taffeta, darling." Dr. Frederick Frankenstein (Gene Wilder): "Taffeta, sweetheart." (Her dress was made of taffeta.)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This but with hologram Tupac

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trig Discipline posted:

the whole north pole trip was a cover for the navy's secret love of pickled eggs

trig tell me, what do pickled eggs taste like?

this is my imagination, based on three things that i love:
- green olives
- pickled greens
- boiled eggs

--- scene ----

"but ive never tried a pickled egg" i say, slowly and seductively and mostly drunkenly

i imagine it like a couch of egg whites for your tongue, and as you lay your tongue down you start to sense the sour tang of pickles

but then you curl up your tongue and you find that your mouth is full of eggs and olives and greens. and they're all pickled, and they're all fresh... and the pickle juice is covering my face and its only my face and theres nobody else around and im no bathing in pickleju-

i mean whatta they taste like really?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Powaqoatse posted:

trig tell me, what do pickled eggs taste like?

this is my imagination, based on three things that i love:
- green olives
- pickled greens
- boiled eggs

--- scene ----

"but ive never tried a pickled egg" i say, slowly and seductively and mostly drunkenly

i imagine it like a couch of egg whites for your tongue, and as you lay your tongue down you start to sense the sour tang of pickles

but then you curl up your tongue and you find that your mouth is full of eggs and olives and greens. and they're all pickled, and they're all fresh... and the pickle juice is covering my face and its only my face and theres nobody else around and im no bathing in pickleju-

i mean whatta they taste like really?

boiled eggs and pickling spices

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

i don't think they allow superfans at the super bowl. they give all the tickets to corporations

actually it's pronounced the superb owl

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Improbable Lobster posted:

boiled eggs and pickling spices

i can work w that as long as i got a huge jar

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

There is currently no scientific consensus on what constitutes a gnat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ive never eaten a pickled egg because i just generally don't like boiled eggs and I can't imagine that leaving them in a bucket of pee for a few months helps much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trig Discipline posted:

ive never eaten a pickled egg because i just generally don't like boiled eggs and I can't imagine that leaving them in a bucket of pee for a few months helps much

no pee, no pee

but like vinegar man

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
still not selling me on the idea

"this tastes like a congealed fart, but man if it was like a VINEGAR fart we would be in business"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Trig Discipline posted:

still not selling me on the idea

"this tastes like a congealed fart, but man if it was like a VINEGAR fart we would be in business"

sorry to hear your tastebuds are broken

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
man i'm not even going to try to defend it, i know i'm in the minority on this one. but for my taste buds/texture buds/jo buds it's seriously like "hey what if we ate our most atrocious farts, but they had the texture of orthopedic shoe inserts?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trig Discipline posted:

man i'm not even going to try to defend it, i know i'm in the minority on this one. but for my taste buds/texture buds/jo buds it's seriously like "hey what if we ate our most atrocious farts, but they had the texture of orthopedic shoe inserts?

goddamn

i thought you were cool

check this out: i think one of my parents farted in this living room that im sitting in ––– im slamming a jigger of extra vergine just for safety

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
In May 2008, an advertisement screened on ITV and Channel 4 in the United Kingdom, featured in various ways a creme egg being melted while still in its wrapper (there were various versions of the commercial), only to mutate into a Twisted while yelling "Goo!" at random intervals and "spitting" out some of its goo, before repeating the word again when the advert finishes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
worst roguelike bestiary ever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
During the 1970s and early 1980s, fans arriving at the stadium from the Metro were greeted by an oom-pah band playing "The Happy Wanderer." Whenever an opposing pitcher tried to hold a runner at first rather than pitch, the sound system would cluck at him like a chicken.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_British_terms_not_widely_used_in_the_United_States

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bap
soft bread roll or a sandwich made from it (this itself is a regional usage in the UK rather than a universal one); in plural, breasts (vulgar slang e.g. "get your baps out love"); a person's head (Northern Ireland).[3]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bap
soft bread roll or a sandwich made from it (this itself is a regional usage in the UK rather than a universal one); in plural, breasts (vulgar slang e.g. "get your baps out love"); a person's head (Northern Ireland).[3]

blower
telephone

huh. i didn't know that was british; i'd seen it in kinky friedman books

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"throw a wobbly" lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the spanish conquistadores were lazy as gently caress about naming things

quote:

In 1806, Father Jose Maria Zalvidea, diarist for the expedition of First Lieutenant Francisco Ruiz into the San Joaquin Valley, named the canyon, creek, and pass which had been discovered in 1776 by the explorer priest, Father Francisco Garces. He recorded the name as "Tejon" (badger)—after a dead badger found at the canyon's mouth. This original Tejon Pass (later called "Old Tejon Pass"), was situated 15 miles to the northeast of what is now Tejon Pass.

hmm. we ran out of names of saints after naming literally everything in sight after one of them. out of ideas. dead badger? sounds good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

amongst
a synonym of among acceptable in British English while seeming old fashioned or pretentious in American English

this is because we reserve 'among' for referring to americans

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

duTrieux. posted:

On June 3, 1958, the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear submarine, visited Everett and Seattle. In Seattle, crewmen dressed in civilian clothing were sent in to secretly buy 140 quarts of an automotive product containing sodium silicate (originally identified as Stop Leak) to repair a leaking condenser system. The Nautilus was en route to the North Pole on a top secret mission to cross the North Pole submerged.[18]

one time i was sent to wal-mart to buy 50 gallons of windshield washer for the cargo ship i was on because the first mate had forgotten winter was coming and didn't order any anti-freeze. cashier had to scan each gallon individually, then she's like "will that be all?"

and i asked her to call me a cab :unsmigghh:

welp that's my story I guess

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

one time i was sent to wal-mart to buy 50 gallons of windshield washer for the cargo ship i was on because the first mate had forgotten winter was coming and didn't order any anti-freeze. cashier had to scan each gallon individually, then she's like "will that be all?"

and i asked her to call me a cab :unsmigghh:

welp that's my story I guess

Good username/post combo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

amongst
a synonym of among acceptable in British English while seeming old fashioned or pretentious in American English

:golfclap:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

NoneMoreNegative posted:

amongst

it reflects well on you that the most racist way imaginable to denigrate the mentally disabled is considered acceptable on your island

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

hey among man

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it reflects well on you that the most racist way imaginable to denigrate the mentally disabled is considered acceptable on your island

this is dumb, stop being lame you spaz

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Devonaut posted:

hey among man

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

this is dumb, stop being lame you spaz
none of those words link their impairments to the epicanthic folds of the less evolved asiatic races

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The effectiveness of the pens may be skewed- one way or the other. Simply having a banknote pass through laundry, depending on the soaps and bleaches used, can cause a bill to fail the test when it is otherwise OK. Additionally, it was discovered almost immediately that changing the acidity of a note, or most any other piece of paper, a napkin, typical typing paper, cardboard, et cetera, with lemon juice, will cause a false positive, that is, a place mat in a restaurant with lemon juice on it will appear to be a valid banknote.

this isn't worthless, they just, used too many, commas

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It also portrays Universe Man as just as mean as Triangle Man towards Plucky, despite what the lyrics suggest.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

none of those words link their impairments to the epicanthic folds of the less evolved asiatic races

so you're fine with casual ableism as long as it's not based on old times racism, got it :waycool:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Pinball Wizard posted:

so you're fine with casual ableism as long as it's not based on old times racism, got it :waycool:

why is it that you can get your palm read or your fortune told with tarot cards, but there are no phrenologists around? i think that would be fun :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

A Pinball Wizard posted:

you're also apparently cool with casual ableism as long as you're able to criticize other people for not criticizing you for it.

also, casual ableism is pretty much ingrained in YOSPOS.