Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Profaned Capital's optional side area that neatly loops back into the dungeon room with the giant is pretty fun though - and I still have no idea why two of those jailers just randomly can start entirely invisible. I don't think that's ever happened before or after.

I'm pretty sure you can see them in the window from the Giant room, too, which makes it seem like some weird bug more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Genocyber posted:

...Which is entirely my point. A ton of stuff strongly implies the profaned flame is the flame of chaos (the fact that it lasts eternally, the transformative effect it had when it washed over the profaned capital, the implication that Alsanna may have been involved) even though other stuff in the game states the flame of chaos is definitely dead.

It doesn't turn people into chaos beasts though, or anything like them. It turned a handful of women into horrifying hand monsters covered in teeth. Kind of like Manus. It's more likely that the profaned flame is some kind of lovely abyssal fire that burns on humanity. Hence why the coal for it is a skull.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I always felt like DS2 is pretty stingy on upgrade materials. You can't reliably buy them until the stone lady decides to carry the stuff and chunks I think only become full stocked at end game. I swear you guys played a different game than I did.
It only takes 6 of each level of titanite to reach the next tier in DS2, whereas DS3 takes 12, DS1 takes 8-10, and Bloodborne takes 16. You can finish FoFG with a +4 weapon, then take an eagle ride to Lost Bastille to grab 4 more and buy a 5th to hit +6 after only beating two bosses, with the ability to buy infinite large shards already. In DS3 & BB, you have to grind like mad to be able to get even a +3 weapon on the High Wall or in Central Yharnam, and in DS1 you don't even get upgrade materials as anything other than super-rare drops until you reach Andre. And then DS2 continues to shower you with shards through NMW, Huntsman's Copse, & Harvest Valley.

DS2 is way, way more free with upgrade materials than any of the other games, aside from the ability to buy infinite small shards coming later (but you shouldn't need to buy because they're laying all over the ground everywhere).

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Lol I'm farming Heide knights anyway.
Are you specifically trying to get their equipment as early as possible? Otherwise this is a terrible idea.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh lol the old knights never deaggro so I can't run past. They attack like DS3 enemies while I move like a DS1 character
They absolutely do deaggro. They are extremely slow and predictable in their attacks.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

How very dare you. I'm used to DS3 rolling who can blame me for eating hits. The roll poise is also really throwing me off. What looks like a clean dodge has me taking damage.
You shouldn't need to roll against the old knights. You can just circle-strafe them and their attacks will all whiff, and the mace knight's attacks do almost no stamina damage so you can just block them all day with even a small shield.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DS3 is pretty stingy with its upgrade materials, because the game is linear they can gate off the next upgrade tier until very specific points, only letting you make the leap a bit early by visiting the areas that branch out from the main progression path as soon as they open up.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you are gonna give an area props just for enemy design then Lost Izalith is good because it has chaos eaters.

The Chaos Eaters are an amazing visual design, but their actual overset is nothing to write home about.
The Hand Maidens (:v:) roll and flop around like giant doofuses and it is amazing

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 28, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If you are gonna give an area props just for enemy design then Lost Izalith is good because it has chaos eaters.

i do like the chaos eaters, but mainly i like siegmeyer's gung-ho approach to annihilating them

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I really want to play through DS2 again a few times, but I still want to use my character that is in like NG+5. He's in Heide's and has 5 or 6 travel locations unlocked? I'm not sure I would know where to go. I forgot a lot about that game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Node posted:

I really want to play through DS2 again a few times, but I still want to use my character that is in like NG+5. He's in Heide's and has 5 or 6 travel locations unlocked? I'm not sure I would know where to go. I forgot a lot about that game.

You'll very quickly figure it out, DS2's progression path isn't complex at all.
A good place to go is probably No Man's Wharf, if you haven't done that already. It's right after Heide's Tower, after all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Wow From it is REALLY SUPER COOL TO IMMEDIATELY TAKE ME TO THE MENU SCREEN JUST ABOUT WHEN I WAS GOING TO KILL MIDIR ON NG+1 because my connection was lost

Holy poo poo :ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Node posted:

Wow From it is REALLY SUPER COOL TO IMMEDIATELY TAKE ME TO THE MENU SCREEN JUST ABOUT WHEN I WAS GOING TO KILL MIDIR ON NG+1 because my connection was lost

Holy poo poo :ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj::ssj:

Elsewhere Midir is just holding his Ethernet cord and laughing about how he "totally owned that jackass".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Did it. Took me five tries. The summon is absolutely worthless in that battle and just makes it harder by giving Midir more hit points. Midir is mostly luck for me, half the time he is swiping with his claws I can't loving see them because of the camera.

I'm pretty sure it was either Midir, like you said, or Miyazaki who "accidentally" turned off the DS3 server for a minute.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"sir! he has nearly done it - midir is nearly dead!"
"hit him"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What are the covenant locked spells in 3? The only Soul spell I'm missing is the one Rosaria's gets you

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What are the covenant locked spells in 3? The only Soul spell I'm missing is the one Rosaria's gets you

Warmth (Mound Makers 30 reward), Darkmoon Blade (Darkmoon 30), Great Lightning Spear (Sunlight 30), Sacred Oath (Sunlight 10), and Great Soul Dregs (Aldrich 10).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I'm trawling for DS3 playthroughs again and I just have one thing to say

every time someone says "halbread" my life edges closer to it's end (and at this point I'm already dead)

Adding "thinking Rosaria is half slug" to this. Use your god drat eyes people, her legs are literally right loving there :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Adding "thinking Rosaria is half slug" to this. Use your god drat eyes people, her legs are literally right loving there :argh:

Me and my friend were just talking about that last night when he reached her for the first time. I think it's a giant mangrub? He thinks it's like a weird organ sack like the bird people in the DLC.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Me and my friend were just talking about that last night when he reached her for the first time. I think it's a giant mangrub? He thinks it's like a weird organ sack like the bird people in the DLC.

It's sorta like a man-grub, but even more deformed and hosed up. You can sort of make out the head and upper body. Also, a lot of its guts are on the outside :eng101:

It's certainly.... something.

Here's Rosaria without the grub and her hair (yes, they just painted the top part of her face black):

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
How tryhard do you have to be to be invading in Farron keep and have at least 6 flasks? Answer: Quite.

Then of course make sure you roll constantly, never engage, and finally crystal out when you run out.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Your Computer posted:

Here's Rosaria without the grub and her hair (yes, they just painted the top part of her face black):

Would.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Maybe she's going for a run. Don't style-shame.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Man, someone on From's development team really likes their women to be barefoot.

(It's Miyazaki).

Your Computer posted:

I say! :v:

One of my big grievances with DS3 (after playing hundreds of hours of DS2) was how stingy it was with materials. In DS3 you basically only get enough mats to upgrade a single weapon* and that annoyed me to no end.

*of course you can argue that the game is tuned around not having a maxed weapon for your area, but on a blind first run this new direction sucks. I need every crutch I can get, but I also want to play and experiment with all kinds of weapons! :arghfist::(

This feels kind of like bullshit to me. You get a billion slabs in one playthrough, especially with both dlcs. You definitely have enough titanite, twinkling titanite and titanite scales to upgrade a weapon that requires each of those materials to max pretty easily. I kind of feel like I'm swimming in them to be honest.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nuebot posted:

It doesn't turn people into chaos beasts though, or anything like them. It turned a handful of women into horrifying hand monsters covered in teeth. Kind of like Manus. It's more likely that the profaned flame is some kind of lovely abyssal fire that burns on humanity. Hence why the coal for it is a skull.

Yeah I think it's some abyssal flame. But it might be a product of the chaos flame too.
The profaned flame turns people into abyssal things. Smoldering lake is close to the capital and is filled with the corrupted goat people farron has been strapping up to logs. Specifically embered versions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Augus posted:

Whoever in this thread was recommending Hollow Knight, thank you. This game is an absolute gem.

Let me tell you something about it I wish someone had told me though: if you enter a zone called Ancient Basin and you haven't got a tram pass, don't rest at a bench down there unless you want to relive the "escape from Tomb of Giants without the lordvessel" experience

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

One of my big grievances with DS3 (after playing hundreds of hours of DS2) was how stingy it was with materials. In DS3 you basically only get enough mats to upgrade a single weapon* and that annoyed me to no end.
What? I started a new character to cosplay horace a bit ago and I have 2 fully upgraded weapons and a fully upgraded shield right now and like 3 extra slabs or something, and I haven't been farming at all

bare minimum you can easily upgrade 3 different weapons if you upgrade weapons that take titanite/twinkling/scales, and realistically you can do more than that. also if you want to chunk farming is actually quite easy as of the dlc, some enemies drop a fuckton. on my character I took into NG+ I hit the inventory max for titanite chunks

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cavelcade posted:

This feels kind of like bullshit to me. You get a billion slabs in one playthrough, especially with both dlcs. You definitely have enough titanite, twinkling titanite and titanite scales to upgrade a weapon that requires each of those materials to max pretty easily. I kind of feel like I'm swimming in them to be honest.

IronicDongz posted:

What? I started a new character to cosplay horace a bit ago and I have 2 fully upgraded weapons and a fully upgraded shield right now and like 3 extra slabs or something, and I haven't been farming at all

bare minimum you can easily upgrade 3 different weapons if you upgrade weapons that take titanite/twinkling/scales, and realistically you can do more than that. also if you want to chunk farming is actually quite easy as of the dlc, some enemies drop a fuckton. on my character I took into NG+ I hit the inventory max for titanite chunks

I'm not talking about slabs or endgame weapon variety. Like you say, especially with the DLCs they give you plenty of Slabs and the rest of the materials can be bought outright.

What I meant was during a playthrough, and especially during a first playthrough. Before you can buy Shards, there will only be enough of them lying around to upgrade one weapon to +3. Then once you can buy them, suddenly every mob is dropping tons of them, but now there are just barely enough large shards lying around to get one weapon to +6... and so on. Like I said, you can argue that the game is balanced around you having a ~+0 weapon until Farron, a ~+3 weapon until Irrithyll/Smoldering Lake etc. but it's very frustrating if you're new to the game and/or want to play with lots of weapons. Having a +3 weapon will make the start of the game so much easier, but if you wasted those shards on a bow or something? You're SOL until a later area which you won't know on your first playthrough (and the buyable shards are even hidden behind an illusory wall in an optional area!).

Once you already know the game and have gotten better at it, it doesn't make much of a difference. You can beeline for the shards/large/chunks, and you know which weapons you want to upgrade and when the next type becomes available. It just sucks before you get to that point :shobon:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't have a problem with that because my experiences with ds2 trained me to be pretty wary of dumping resources into a weapon. For every two great weapons it feels like there's one that's trash below the surface.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I didn't have a problem with that because my experiences with ds2 trained me to be pretty wary of dumping resources into a weapon. For every two great weapons it feels like there's one that's trash below the surface.

If you've played the previous games, you can at least assume that stuff like the Longsword is Never a Bad Choice etc. but it put a real damper on experimentation in my first run. I like to play with every new weapon I get, and not being able to upgrade them makes it hard to compare. Especially coupled with the poise changes and how overpowered straight swords were at launch.

"Ohh, new weapon! I'll try using it for a bit and see if I like it. .....oh, enemies are taking 5 times more hits to die than my old weapon... and I'm not getting any poise so this is really awkward to use with low damage.... but hey, maybe it's fun when it's upgraded! Hmm, but if I do that and the weapon still isn't fun I'll have wasted materials I could've used on the Longsword that I know is good... I'm already struggling and I don't want to gimp myself further if there's a boss coming up, not to mention I have no idea when I'll be able to get more titanite"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Having the upgrade items unlock as soon as you get one weapon to a certain threshold would be a good compromise, IMO. Still need a bunch of souls to buy them but they're at least there and not a finite resource.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

All the games are stupid trash in their own way.

But for real I don't think any of them have an item economy I could immediately think of complaints, though I wouldn't say any are really terrible

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Your Computer posted:

If you've played the previous games, you can at least assume that stuff like the Longsword is Never a Bad Choice etc. but it put a real damper on experimentation in my first run. I like to play with every new weapon I get, and not being able to upgrade them makes it hard to compare. Especially coupled with the poise changes and how overpowered straight swords were at launch.

"Ohh, new weapon! I'll try using it for a bit and see if I like it. .....oh, enemies are taking 5 times more hits to die than my old weapon... and I'm not getting any poise so this is really awkward to use with low damage.... but hey, maybe it's fun when it's upgraded! Hmm, but if I do that and the weapon still isn't fun I'll have wasted materials I could've used on the Longsword that I know is good... I'm already struggling and I don't want to gimp myself further if there's a boss coming up, not to mention I have no idea when I'll be able to get more titanite"

I dunno. You can gain the ability to buy small shards after ONE boss. Vordt -> Settlement -> Road of Sacrifices -> Farron -> Old Wolf - done.

Granted, you're not going to know that route on a first playthrough, but only someone with experience in previous Souls games would "experiment" in the way you are describing. I have been guiding a completely new Souls player through the game, and he went with his starter weapon until he found something better, then went with the Greatsword (which I guided him to) because he's doing a Guts cosplay. It's working for him and he likes the moveset. But between the Knight's starter Longsword, and the Irithyll Straight Sword he never felt behind the curve at all.

What I'm saying is - I don't think your experience (or really - the experience for most of us in this thread) is typical - because we are mostly Very Experienced Players at Souls games. I think the game doles out plenty of upgrade mats for a new player. It feels stingy at times because we have a build in mind which involves getting 3-5 weapons/shields to +5/+10 as fast as possible.

Honestly, I don't think any of the games are that stingy with upgrade materials, unless you need something weird in Demon's like Sticky or something. And even then - once you get to the "home" area for that type of stone, you are swimming in it by the end. Bloodborne is somewhat stingy with chunks, but in a game with what? 20 weapons total? being able to get 3-4 of them to +10 isn't really that stingy.

My route for DS1 is non-standard, since I always take Master Key and speedrun Firelink -> Valley of the Drakes -> Darkroot -> Parish, so I have access to unlimited small shards basically right at the start.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaB posted:

My route for DS1 is non-standard, since I always take Master Key and speedrun Firelink -> Valley of the Drakes -> Darkroot -> Parish, so I have access to unlimited small shards basically right at the start.

I took the master key for my first playthrough, not knowing what it unlocked, and after a couple runs did a game where I took something else (I think black firebombs to get the demon great hammer) and it's insane how different the first half of the game is when you can't just skip around and do whatever. Or when you have to do the top of Blighttown, which to that point I had never seen. :v:

If you're willing to do some suicide runs, the master key gets you so much so quickly but being able to do that much more at once really colored DS1 for me.

e: I had a +4 weapon in DS3 for a while because I was just going through the dlc instead of progressing and it only really hurt when I got to Freide. The Javelin's real good.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

You don't want to fight the Old Dragonslayer without 20 ADP though :v:

But yeah, I had totally forgot about that change. Most of my time spent in DS2 was before SOTFS.

I did it yesterday with 89 agility and was perfectly fine :colbert:

then again, I have so many hours socked away into DS2 that I can parry anything, even after not playing for months and months. it sure as hell made the Heide knights a lot more bearable!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HaB posted:

Granted, you're not going to know that route on a first playthrough, but only someone with experience in previous Souls games would "experiment" in the way you are describing.

But experience in previous Souls games won't give you any knowledge of routs in this game, so I don't really get your argument here :confused:

Anyway, whether we agree on this particular thing or not I think we can all agree that

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

All the games are stupid trash in their own way.

e: also I've been playing with shaders to get them more accurate to the game (and actually render them with the right methods). Did anyone ask for a 4MB png of an Angel? No?

click

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 28, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think the emphasis on having more than one weapon in ds2, with durability being so low and left hand having full moveset, along with upgrades for armor still being in is what makes me feel the squeeze on titanite so much.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Your Computer posted:

This is kind of the whole point of there being different upgrade mats. If you're upgrading your Longsword, you get to +3 and you have no more use for Titanite Shards on it, and can use the rest on other weapons. As long as your weapons are on the previous tier, their damage difference shouldn't be too huge, and you should still get a decent feel for the weapon you're trying out by getting it to the top of the previous tier.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Cavelcade posted:

Man, someone on From's development team really likes their women to be barefoot.

(It's Miyazaki).

Why would she be wearing her shoes in bed? She has loyal servants to bring her snacks, and she's all cozy and snuggled up with her giant testicle-man.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait is she eating all the tongues you give her? Gross.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess? Does she even want the tongues, or do some assholes just keep murdering her scrotumbabies on the way to visit her and give her poo poo she doesn't want, but can't tell them to stop.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I always assumed it pleases her that someone else lacks a tongue like she does.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Especially those dark moon poo poo heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh god she's rebirthing you literally isn't she? Thats what the weird part that doesn't look like a man-grub is...