Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe the Soviet R&D regime used a far harsher endurance testing regimen?

The trials are done in the terrain around Kubinka, and that doesn't change. They are also restricted to particular testing grounds, since the authorities complain relentlessly whenever the tankers drove somewhere where they shouldn't have and busted up the roads.

ulmont posted:

...because of (1) the weakest link remains the weakest link and/or (2) the tanks get their asses shot off whether they have 500km left or 3000km left.

The T-34 and Sherman lasted the same amount of time in proving grounds trials where nobody was shooting at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

The trials are done in the terrain around Kubinka, and that doesn't change. They are also restricted to particular testing grounds, since the authorities complain relentlessly whenever the tankers drove somewhere where they shouldn't have and busted up the roads.

The T-34 and Sherman lasted the same amount of time in proving grounds trials where nobody was shooting at them.

Were the cheapo 1942 T-34 models tested against Shermans or was it the later models that (I think, I'll need to double check) were made more expensively?

Ignore this, it never happened, they only reduced cost.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 28, 2017

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

I think what he was angling toward was not that they were made with bad materials but that they loosened tolerances to lower cost and boost production massively so they could fight back after Barbarossa. Why design a precision fit engine that will last you 5k km when the tank will have become a combat loss within 1500? Okay, so why are these road wheels good for 2300 km when again it'll be brewed up within 1500? So on and so forth down the line. Gaskets don't need to be aligned well, bolts don't need to be ratcheted down quite as evenly, your bearings don't need to be quite as perfectly round, etc. Basically yeah your tank is shaking itself apart during combat but statistically it will be perfectly functional until lost to enemy fire. But not much longer than that, since the nice bearings and very straight rods and finely milled pistons are lost all the same, except they cost more and took longer to make, which means your factory misses quota.

A similar example would be how the British (specifically one man at the Royal Torpedo works who's almost been forgotten to time) developed early forms of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing to figure out how reduce the number of parts being declared out of tolerance when the part would actually work just fine.
http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifice/drafting/drawing-studies/dt/history-geometric/index.html

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

An idea for a WW2 game I had that I posted in a TFR thread was setting you up as an under supplied Soviet soldier in the winter of 1942. Your unit gets blown up by artillery or something, leaving you the only survivor. Starting without anything more than the clothes and load-bearing gear on your back, you need to scrounge for weapons, ammo, food, and water while avoiding hypothermia and German patrols to try and get back to your unit. Basically turn the war into a survival horror game where even a single enemy soldier is likely to be lethal and you can just barely carry enough in your inventory to stay alive.

Want to turn the survival horror up a notch?

Do this, but instead of a soldier you're a civilian during the siege of Leningrad. You get an achievement if you make it through the 900 days without turning cannibal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAIL posted:

we should do this but someone else needs to do the programming and (??things???), this thread is just the ideas guy

Programming is the last step. All we need is a couple artists to churn out concept art and a Kickstarter, then we can be the next Star Citizen!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'll start the wiki

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Comrade Koba posted:

Want to turn the survival horror up a notch?

Do this, but instead of a soldier you're a civilian during the siege of Leningrad. You get an achievement if you make it through the 900 days without turning cannibal.

Sort of already a game its called This War of Mine, just sub Lenningrad for Kosovo in the 1990's.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jack2142 posted:

Sort of already a game its called This War of Mine, just sub Lenningrad for Kosovo in the 1990's.

That game has some really well done crafting and exploration elements. Have tissues handy, it's remarkably depressing - so a good sim.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my dream game is dark souls but thirty years war

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How many games are there where you play as the Axis (in like a campaign with a storyline as opposed to just an option in multiplayer) anyways? Seems like an almost totally unexplored perspective in general, and aside from the potential for really bad connotations, it could be really interesting.

Of course, there's plenty of other unexplored perspectives since games mainly are tailored to serve the American perspective; China, the free French forces, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Ethiopia...anything that doesn't serve the one nationalist narrative of the star spangled banner crushing the swastika.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Programming is the last step. All we need is a couple artists to churn out concept art and a Kickstarter, then we can be the next Star Citizen!

Red Star Citizen :ussr:

Jack2142 posted:

TWoM is great, but not nearly depressing enough. I want to turn my neighbors in to the NKVD in exchange for extra rations for my family, then have them all die anyway in a random artillery strike.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 28, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saboteur 2 but in occupied Shanghai. Also questgivers mainly just want you to blow up the other side of the civil war instead of the Japanese.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

thou hast died

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Red Star Citizen :ussr:

TWoM is great, but not nearly depressing enough. I want to turn my neighbors in to the NKVD in exchange for extra rations for my family, then have them all die in a random artillery strike.

Username-post combo. Also this just makes me want to play Papers Please, even though that's about being a low level functionary.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mantis42 posted:

Saboteur 2 but in occupied Shanghai. Also questgivers mainly just want you to blow up the other side of the civil war instead of the Japanese.

Occupied Shanghai/Singapore/Manila

Any of those would be loving awesome.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Something in the style of Dynasty Warriors would probably work better for a early modern action game.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Been reading about the Syrian civil war and it's just so weird and tangled so I'm wondering what conflicts are the most complicated clusterfucks you can think of?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bates posted:

Been reading about the Syrian civil war and it's just so weird and tangled so I'm wondering what conflicts are the most complicated clusterfucks you can think of?

Seven years war.

Basically it was a world war scale conflict except with 18th century mobility so you had little things going on all over with colonial powers negotiating smaller players into proxy fighting against the other power's proxies. Treaty of Paris likes to get coopted by Americans as "the moment of Independence" but lol most of the event was Britain and France and Spain and everyone else settling their poo poo.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 28, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's what the tutorial level should be!

Invade the Aleutians, watch some people die due to friendly fire, :fireman:

The Tank tutorial would be one of the African-American tank battalions still in the USA while the war was going on because of idiot racists, who had nothing to do but train. Then you could come back to them when they finally get deployed in the Ardennes.

Actually, I seem to recall one of the CoD games did have a bit with African-American tankers in Europe.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jack2142 posted:

Sarajevo. Not Kosovo.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If you are going to include depressing Chinese campaigns, might as well play a pregnant farmer who gets scooped up by unit 731 :vomarine:

Pyle posted:

I thought that taking Berlin was specifically appointed to Chuikov's troops which had defended Stalingrad.

If they did, they weren't alone. Konevs guards made for Berlin after rampaging through Romania, IIRC.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

Something in the style of Dynasty Warriors would probably work better for a early modern action game.

Watch Mansfeld break open a pike square by doing a triple somersault into it from horseback.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bates posted:

Lebanese Civil War springs to mind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bates posted:

The conflict complex enveloping Zaire / DRC and the whole Great African Lakes region.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ulmont posted:

A very similar claim is made in Walter S. Dunn Jr.'s "Stalin's Keys to Victory":
https://www.amazon.com/Stalins-Keys-Victory-Stackpole-Military/dp/0811734234

Also, if you don't want to watch the video, here's basically the talk in print:
http://www.historynet.com/profiles-cold-steel-making-tanks.htm

some models were perhaps too cut down:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many games are there where you play as the Axis (in like a campaign with a storyline as opposed to just an option in multiplayer) anyways? Seems like an almost totally unexplored perspective in general, and aside from the potential for really bad connotations, it could be really interesting.

Of course, there's plenty of other unexplored perspectives since games mainly are tailored to serve the American perspective; China, the free French forces, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Ethiopia...anything that doesn't serve the one nationalist narrative of the star spangled banner crushing the swastika.

Men of War lets you play as the Germans and the Japanese.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Seven years war.

Basically it was a world war scale conflict except with 18th century mobility so you had little things going on all over with colonial powers negotiating smaller players into proxy fighting against the other power's proxies. Treaty of Paris likes to get coopted by Americans as "the moment of Independence" but lol most of the event was Britain and France and Spain and everyone else settling their poo poo.

When I first learned about the Seven Years War, I only knew about the war of Prussia defending themselves against Russia, France and Austria. Then I learned the British where helping the Prussians for some reason and got curious.

So later I learned about all this colonial poo poo happening elsewhere, as if the Prussian Seven Years War wasn't enough of a clusterfuck already. That was an eye-opener for my interest in foreign history.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Silent Storm games had a Axis campaign. Codename Panzers had campaigns for both Germany and Italy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Loads of strategy games let you play as the nazis. From War in the East to Silent Storm, and so on. There's a bunch that only let you play as nazis, in fact. It's only the big budget FPS subgenre where I can't really think of any notable examples - and the reason there is probably obvious. You'd either make a game that is like CoD:MW2's No Russian level except for 10 hours, or make a game that implicitly does the Clean Wehrmacht bullshit. No one will chuck substantial money at that.

EDIT: Submarine sims and flight sims will also generally let you play as the nazis.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 28, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bates posted:

Russian Civil War, judging by the sheer number of sides in the conflict and the complete inability of anyone to make a hex & counter wargame of it that is comprehensible to the human mind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

C.M. Kruger posted:

A similar example would be how the British (specifically one man at the Royal Torpedo works who's almost been forgotten to time) developed early forms of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing to figure out how reduce the number of parts being declared out of tolerance when the part would actually work just fine.
http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifice/drafting/drawing-studies/dt/history-geometric/index.html

Huh. This is interesting. I don't know much about what makes out of tolerance parts actually work, but you see this a TON on an ad hoc basis in late WW2 german small arms manufacture. By '44 and '45 the various factories are going through the piles of reject parts from the 30s and early 40s and just seeing what will fit together and still make a functional gun. This leads to a lot of weirdo franken guns.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

Russian Civil War, judging by the sheer number of sides in the conflict and the complete inability of anyone to make a hex & counter wargame of it that is comprehensible to the human mind.

Oddly enough there's a Tachanka level in an Assassin's Creed game, but it's one of the Italian ones.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. This is interesting. I don't know much about what makes out of tolerance parts actually work, but you see this a TON on an ad hoc basis in late WW2 german small arms manufacture. By '44 and '45 the various factories are going through the piles of reject parts from the 30s and early 40s and just seeing what will fit together and still make a functional gun. This leads to a lot of weirdo franken guns.

On the basis of "OK this one isn't that bad I guess" or via "OK this piece is hopelessly out of tolerance but this other component is also out of tolerance and they should probably hopefully work together" ?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oddly enough there's a Tachanka level in an Assassin's Creed game, but it's one of the Italian ones.

Nooo :negative:

I would pay any level of dough to play a Makhnovschina cavalry unit :getin:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Libluini posted:

When I first learned about the Seven Years War, I only knew about the war of Prussia defending themselves against Russia, France and Austria. Then I learned the British where helping the Prussians for some reason and got curious.

So later I learned about all this colonial poo poo happening elsewhere, as if the Prussian Seven Years War wasn't enough of a clusterfuck already. That was an eye-opener for my interest in foreign history.

That's pretty funny, here in North America we learn about how the Seven Years War was a huge and descive colonial war between Britain and France. Powers like Austria, Spain, Russia and Prussia are never even mentioned (nor are Britain's Hanoverian possessions), despite the European portions of the war being both more important and more interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

Loads of strategy games let you play as the nazis. From War in the East to Silent Storm, and so on. There's a bunch that only let you play as nazis, in fact. It's only the big budget FPS subgenre where I can't really think of any notable examples - and the reason there is probably obvious. You'd either make a game that is like CoD:MW2's No Russian level except for 10 hours, or make a game that implicitly does the Clean Wehrmacht bullshit. No one will chuck substantial money at that.

EDIT: Submarine sims and flight sims will also generally let you play as the nazis.

Basically, the only games that let you play as the world's ultimate bad guys are the ones that have absolutely zero story whatsoever and treat the war in a clinical sense where it's basically mashing numbers together. As soon as you add a storyline or characterization, you risk a lot of your image.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of it is just being smart about tolerances. Sometimes the drawing might say "this edge can't be more than 10mm or it won't fit" when you actually mean "the corners of this square peg have to fit in this round hole" which means there might be cases where the 10.1mm reject actually works fine without requiring other modifications.

This is rather different from raiding the reject bin and trying to stick random parts together until they match

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

That's pretty funny, here in North America we learn about how the Seven Years War was a huge and descive colonial war between Britain and France. Powers like Austria, Spain, Russia and Prussia are never even mentioned (nor are Britain's Hanoverian possessions), despite the European portions of the war being both more important and more interesting.

I'm not sure the phrase "Seven Years War" was ever used in my High School History class, they called it the French and Indian War instead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Probably because the French & Indian War that spawned as part of it is a major part of American existence. The grumbling over taxes that eventually led to the American Revolution started because the British needed to pay for the war, so they decided to make the colonists pay for what happened on their side of the empire. The taxes were pretty justifiable from a logical standpoint, but it inspired a lot of questioning about how much representation the colonists actually had in their government until things reached a boiling point.

We usually get told that it's part of a larger conflict, but that's about it. How the war progresses overseas gets ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically, the only games that let you play as the world's ultimate bad guys are the ones that have absolutely zero story whatsoever and treat the war in a clinical sense where it's basically mashing numbers together. As soon as you add a storyline or characterization, you risk a lot of your image.

I can't even stomach playing as Germany in hearts of iron because you're greeted by a picture of hitler (and other nazis) on the politics screen. There's mods that change that, and of course you can also overthrow the government entirely, but I also don't really like the game enough to put that much investment in it.

Elyv posted:

I'm not sure the phrase "Seven Years War" was ever used in my High School History class, they called it the French and Indian War instead.

I don't think I even learned that until I got out of college (and I looked it up on my own)