Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Given how well the others took having their heart stolen, I'd say less 'redeemed' and more 'stricken with a fate worse than death.'

Akechi hates himself to a staggering degree already so if anyone popped the cork on his repressed guilt then he'd probably eat his own tongue to make it stop. Boy is effed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Persona users don't have Palaces. So no Akechi hacking.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If I can't steal his heart through magic, then I'll have to do it through love...

Oxxidation posted:

Akechi hates himself to a staggering degree already so if anyone popped the cork on his repressed guilt then he'd probably eat his own tongue to make it stop. Boy is effed up.
Oof, yeah god, if you ever break that dam on Goro, you'd need an ark

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Akechi seemed halfway through having a change of heart already by the time he "died". So I don't know if taking his heart is really what will go down in this hypothetical Akechi-dungeon.

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

If I can't steal his heart through magic, then I'll have to do it through love...

https://youtu.be/zIMOhmbRVd8

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

I like everything about sojiro and futaba besides the fact that hermit angles romantic after the headpat then evades it if you don't go that route. I sure didn't want to romance her but sidestepping her having a crush feels dumb even if it happened in a funny way and ended with hi-fives.

futaba is the correct option because she gives you morgana chocolate

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Motto posted:

I like everything about sojiro and futaba besides the fact that hermit angles romantic after the headpat then evades it if you don't go that route. I sure didn't want to romance her but sidestepping her having a crush feels dumb even if it happened in a funny way and ended with hi-fives.
Presumably they dealt with it among themselves later, offscreen. That's the rank 11 conversation you don't get to see.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
A cool thing that's semi-easy to miss: A lot of the Mementos requests can be found hanging around the city, both before and after you change their hearts.

• The homeless assassin with the split personality is hanging out in the Underground Walkway, near the entrance to the Station Square. As you get closer and closer to his request becoming available, his daytime personality starts musing about whether the Phantom Thieves might be able to help him, while he's writing letters to his nighttime murder personality asking him to please stop.
  • The female stalker is right outside your classroom, with the target of her obsession talking about finding her blog and how much she mentions "Blood Storms"
  • The rear end in a top hat boss you find out about through working at Crossroads is occasionally by the bakery next to the Ginza platform / Shibuya hangout.
  • The exploitative music producer has a whole little storyline that plays out with one of his victims in the red light district in Shinjuku.
  • The school bullies are hanging out outside the School Gate, and their dialogue slowly changes as you advance through the quest.
  • Probably more that I can't think of right now.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I caught the homeless one but none of the others.
Speaking to hobos is easier than speaking to school-people.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I was gonna fight Caroline and Justine early for the Expedite Ring, but I accidentally won.

Yoshitsune, my man, Jesus Christ. I love how they aren't immune to having their 50% HP spells reflected back at themselves, that helped out a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So there are a few Thoth deck Major Arcana we haven't seen in a Persona game yet that could show up in a (still hypothetical) Persona 5 expanded edition:
  • VIII - Adjustment. Replaces Justice and represents objectivity, cause and effect, and understanding consequences.
  • XI - Lust. Replaces Strength and represents the mastery of one's animal side. Forgot this one is in Persona 4 Golden under a different name.
  • XIV - Art. Replaces Temperance. "Art" here refers to alchemy. The card represents the ability to turn something plain into something precious, or a need to explore paths that you previously ignored.
It'd be interesting to see one of these show up as a new confidant. The Aeon will certainly show up because that's been the case in both expanded/remade Persona games before this, but I wonder if any existing characters would fit the ones we haven't seen before. I've seen people ask for a Shiho confidant, and she'd fit Adjustment pretty well, but having her as a confidant would require totally rewriting the last parts of Ann's confidant and would kinda cheapen her growth so I wouldn't want that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 28, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

So there are a few Thoth deck Major Arcana we haven't seen in a Persona game yet that could show up in a (still hypothetical) Persona 5 expanded edition:
  • VIII - Adjustment. Replaces Justice and represents objectivity, cause and effect, and understanding consequences.
  • XI - Lust. Replaces Strength and represents the mastery of one's animal side.
  • XIV - Art. Replaces Temperance. "Art" here refers to alchemy. The card represents the ability to turn something plain into something precious, or a need to explore paths that you previously ignored.
It'd be interesting to see one of these show up as a new confidant. The Aeon will certainly show up because that's been the case in both expanded/remade Persona games before this, but I wonder if any existing characters would fit the ones we haven't seen before. I've seen people ask for a Shiho confidant, and she'd fit Adjustment pretty well, but having her as a confidant would require totally rewriting the last parts of Ann's confidant and would kinda cheapen her growth so I wouldn't want that.

Didn't Lust show up in the P4G with Adachi?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There really aren't a lot of good choices for expanded social links unless they make up new characters tbh. P3 had a huge wealth they could because almost all the links in the original release were side characters with no relevance to the plot and a ton of plot characters didn't get them. That was toned back a lot in P4 and P5.

I guess you could probably do Lala Escargot as any of the ones you mentioned, depending on where they want to take her story, and maybe one of the non-Kawakami teachers? I'm struggling to think of anyone else who isn't a new character that could fit. Maybe the priest?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Didn't Lust show up in the P4G with Adachi?

They called it "Hunger" and made it number 0 like The Fool, but that might count, yeah.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

(P4G spoilers)As I understand it this was Adachi's secret arcana in Golden. The English translation changed the name to Hunger for some reason.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Harrow posted:

I'm probably misremembering, but didn't (P4G spoiler)the Japanese version of P4G have Adachi change to the Lust arcana once you revealed him as the killer, but got changed to Hunger or something in the US?.

efb, but at least I wasn't the only one thinking that. Also wow this thread moves fast sometimes.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

[*]VIII - Adjustment. Replaces Justice and represents objectivity, cause and effect, and understanding consequences.

So Akechi's redemption Arcana is built right in?

If Adachi, "I attempt to rape school girls because they're bitches" gets a redemption storyline, I am going to be mad as hell if Akechi doesn't. P5 kind of made a big deal out of, "Dying after doing horrible deeds is bullshit. It's your duty to live and atone for your monstrous acts."

I think Haru is a strong enough person to forgive Akechi or at least accept him back into the Phantom Thieves if he actually tries to atone. IMO Futaba is the party member most likely to say, "gently caress you, I'm not forgiving Akechi."

I also feel Akechi's Confidant should have been like Shinjiro's. You have a limited time to level it and gently caress you if you don't. It would have made his regret feel more natural if the player had to work for that bond instead of Rank 9 coming from him shooting your doppleganger in the head.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Because you don't want to think of Adachi's sex drive any more than necessary tbh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh wait, you're right. Hunter was number XI so it was definitely Lust. Never mind!

dragon_pamcake posted:

So Akechi's redemption Arcana is built right in?

If Adachi, "I attempt to rape school girls because they're bitches" gets a redemption storyline, I am going to be mad as hell if Akechi doesn't. P5 kind of made a big deal out of, "Dying after doing horrible deeds is bullshit. It's your duty to live and atone for your monstrous acts."

I think Haru is a strong enough person to forgive Akechi or at least accept him back into the Phantom Thieves if he actually tries to atone. IMO Futaba is the party member most likely to say, "gently caress you, I'm not forgiving Akechi."

I wouldn't want to see him reintegrated into the Phantom Thieves but if there was like an epilogue month in a Persona 5 expansion or something, I could see a confidant focused around getting him to realize just how wrong his actions were and turn himself in or something. Maybe have one more quest where he fights alongside Joker or something like that.

Adachi is horrible and his actions directly led to the deaths of two people and indirectly to the death of one more, but Akechi personally killed more than that and indirectly caused the death or serious injury of dozens more. I know we only specifically hear about Wakaba and Okumura, but man, Akechi has done some horrible poo poo.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 28, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The principal. The train driver. SIU guy. We'll say he killed someone for each of Shido's five buddies and that puts him at a 10 strong body count. Akechi is irredeemable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Did anyone die in the train accident? Because I have a real hard time believing there weren't any fatalities there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the massacre at shibuya's ihop

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sometimes you just have to kill a shitload of people so that when you kill the person you were originally aiming for it's even more killtastical.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Akechi getting a redemption arc where he rejoins the group would be a 'Join up with Adachi' level bad ending imo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I could see him fighting alongside the Phantom Thieves or even just Joker in a bonus dungeon or something and then turning himself in afterwards, but that's as close to a redemption arc as he deserves.

He's definitely alive, though. We never saw the body and like hell Atlus wouldn't put him in Persona 5 Arena.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
A post-game where he turns himself in, and then you all get to watch his state execution.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Silver lining: for his last meal he finally gets pancakes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lots of people saying he killed people, but can you prove it in a court of law?? Didn't think so

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Akechi will save Joker's baby in the new Epilogue and get a pancake

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Grat posted:

A cool thing that's semi-easy to miss: A lot of the Mementos requests can be found hanging around the city, both before and after you change their hearts.

• The homeless assassin with the split personality is hanging out in the Underground Walkway, near the entrance to the Station Square. As you get closer and closer to his request becoming available, his daytime personality starts musing about whether the Phantom Thieves might be able to help him, while he's writing letters to his nighttime murder personality asking him to please stop.
  • The female stalker is right outside your classroom, with the target of her obsession talking about finding her blog and how much she mentions "Blood Storms"
  • The rear end in a top hat boss you find out about through working at Crossroads is occasionally by the bakery next to the Ginza platform / Shibuya hangout.
  • The exploitative music producer has a whole little storyline that plays out with one of his victims in the red light district in Shinjuku.
  • The school bullies are hanging out outside the School Gate, and their dialogue slowly changes as you advance through the quest.
  • Probably more that I can't think of right now.

That a nice detail. I also noticed it on my first playthrough, but you can see the thug working for Kaneshiro in town asking if you want to join his gang the first time you visit there. He usually hanging out by the DVD rental store.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You can pull it off if you retcon the story a little bit: Akechi is actually the youngest member of a Strega-like group that did the executions. He only personally killed Okumura. You get the option to appeal to his sense of justice and regret over killing Okumura, now he's seen the effects it had on the target's family. The new January dungeon is Akechi promising to turn himself in if the Phantom Thieves help him defeat his former group of assassins who have reopened the metaverse with the help of Wakeba's science and Shido's accomplices.

EDIT: This was actually how I genuinely thought it was going to play out, considering Akechi's popularity. What a waste of potential to not have a mirror match between the Phantom Thieves and some evil parallel organisation to them, perhaps with another guy who's a wildcard leading his buddies in a 4v4 fight. Bonus points because this would make Akechi a traitor twice.

EDIT2: vv Yep, it's lovely fanfiction, but in between being able to save Chidori and what's his name in P3P, it's not like Atlus hasn't dabbled into wish fulfilment before. The changes would be too sweeping though, so it won't happen.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 28, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

You can pull it off if you retcon the story a little bit: Akechi is actually the youngest member of a Strega-like group that did the executions. He only personally killed Okumura. You get the option to appeal to his sense of justice and regret over killing Okumura, now he's seen the effects it had on the target's family. The new January dungeon is Akechi promising to turn himself in if the Phantom Thieves help him defeat his former group of assassins who have reopened the metaverse with the help of Wakeba's science and Shido's accomplices.

This would be dumb as poo poo and undermine his whole character so people can project their fantasy onto him more easily.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought pee science would factor more into the game. Was there anything to it other than "Shido figured out you could do bad poo poo in there because Akechi told him you could"?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Terper posted:

Lots of people saying he killed people, but can you prove it in a court of law?? Didn't think so

In real life you only need to show that a crime was committed and that he confessed to it. It's happened before.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bogart posted:

I thought pee science would factor more into the game. Was there anything to it other than "Shido figured out you could do bad poo poo in there because Akechi told him you could"?

Not really. It let you have a government conspiracy and tied Shinjiro and Futaba closer in to the plot, but they didn't really do much with it and it could probably have been cut completely.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Saint Freak posted:

In real life you only need to show that a crime was committed and that he confessed to it. It's happened before.

This would actually be unacceptable in any country that prides itself for its rule of law. I think even Japan requires the confessor to at least be able to explain how he did it, and if the explanation is unreasonable or causally impossible, it won't hold.

In some European countries you can't even self-incriminate at all. Even a watertight confession needs evidence to back it up.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Count Bleck posted:

Haru is just a collection of good things, and her flair for the dramatic is fantastic.

This game needed more of her.

They need to do the P2 thing of having a prior game's characters be party members in the sequel, and bring Haru back to kick more rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

Japan tends to be pretty conscientious about obtaining confessions before prosecution, and after Shido goes down Akechi's dumb rear end has a lot of testimonial evidence tied to it. Not to mention the phone recording that Futaba used to bury him after the sixth Palace.

Akechi is presented more sympathetically than Adachi but his actions are way more heinous, and he realizes that himself on some level since part of his boss-fight freakout is borne from the realization that there's absolutely no good way out for him anymore. His dad wants him dead, his popularity is superficial, and if he turned himself in he'd either be executed or imprisoned for such a long time his future would be ash by the time he got out (and that's assuming that a self-professed cop would be able to survive a lengthy prison stay in the first place, I don't know how harsh Japanese jails are).

His trial would be a complete circus either way. Undisclosed murder methods, circumstantial evidence, and ten new FREE AKECHI blogs springing up every thirty minutes.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 28, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Deltasquid posted:

This would actually be unacceptable in any country that prides itself for its rule of law

So, countries that are definitively not Japan is what you're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Country Known For Literally Torturing False Confessions Out Of People suddenly cares when it's plot convenient.

• Locked thread