Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

PBS posted:

Out of curiosity what is the cost per GB in your SAN env?

Weren't you paying attention, it SHOULD be $0.001 per gig! Those hard drives are just sitting there at best buy WAITING to be purchased!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:tinfoil:

I'll bet you $1 that this guy is the CIO of something.

What? You can't put your entire infrastructure backup on a single USB WD drive you picked up at staples? Hand in your CIO keys buddy, let a pro take over.

We'll also conveniently ignore that cryptolocker would have just zotted everything on that drive as well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Weren't you paying attention, it SHOULD be $0.001 per gig! Those hard drives are just sitting there at best buy WAITING to be purchased!

"Raid? What's that we're not cleaning roaches here pal, buy the green drives, they are the most bang for your buck."

*twitches*

But really what all you people need is a Scott Alan Miller Storage Device.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

An old terminal showing some stats would be a neat ornament and conversation piece so I don't see the problem if a few guys or gals would keep and maintain that as a fun project. But it should never be relied upon in production lol.

The shining wit demanding its return didn't actually maintain it, don't be silly. Per a follow-up email he "relied on it to do his job" but had no idea how it worked or any interest in actually helping put a replacement in.

:suicide:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our bad networking guy sent a ticket to Cisco TAC for a free evaluation license for Cisco ACS. They told him no, and to talk to a reseller or to the Cisco presales department if they want an evaluation license. Then he asked them if ACS could "also be used for other hardware vendors (Juniper, Brocade etc. etc.)?" Were it within my authority I would have had this idiot fired months ago.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

ha ha ha, no.

One of the server guys explained the cost per GB of our SAN environment.

That ticket was the result.

Man I really need to run some numbers and have our "$ / GB" on hand. It would end so many arguments against cleaning up the file server.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

PBS posted:

Out of curiosity what is the cost per GB in your SAN env?

SAN is a VNX 7500 so probably around $4.50 per user GB I'm going to guess.

FLASH stuff for SQL is way more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't know if this guy just loves using the printer/scanner or he just doesn't want to take a screenshot, ever

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I am witnessing a client engineer use a lighter to heat something up at his desk. His desk is literally in the server room.

:psyduck:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

pr0digal posted:

I am witnessing a client engineer use a lighter to heat something up at his desk. His desk is literally in the server room.

He just needs to stand behind the servers, unless it needs to get really hot, which should probably be done in an oven or microwave.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

pixaal posted:

He just needs to stand behind the servers, unless it needs to get really hot, which should probably be done in an oven or microwave.

Well he was heating up some piece of plastic for some reason or another. Since this is a video post house it's probably some weird connector thing.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

pr0digal posted:

Is the something "heroin"?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pr0digal posted:

Well he was heating up some piece of plastic for some reason or another. Since this is a video post house it's probably some weird connector thing.

probably heat shrink

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

probably heat shrink

This. Making custom cables the 'right' way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I seriously hate when people put tickets in for other people.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Especially when it shows which computer it was generated on, but it's not the one they're talking about and they add a bunch of vague "the computer behind the desk that Bob used to sit at a few years ago" as if that helps narrow it down.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

THIS THIS THIS

"Hi, you said you were having an issue?"
"Oh not me, it was actually on Suzie's computer!"
"Ok, can I speak to her?"
"Not right now, she's in another office and she's on the phone and then she's going to lunch then going on vacation to deepest Nepal for the rest of the year, can't​ you just fix it?"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

A Pinball Wizard posted:

THIS THIS THIS

"Hi, you said you were having an issue?"
"Oh not me, it was actually on Suzie's computer!"
"Ok, can I speak to her?"
"Not right now, she's in another office and she's on the phone and then she's going to lunch then going on vacation to deepest Nepal for the rest of the year, can't​ you just fix it?"

We have customers that do this all the time. The customer point of contact forbids us to contact other users AT ALL, if we need to get more info or access their server or whatever, we have to request it from the POC. And the POC is the one that submits tickets for all other users as well. It's beyond frustrating.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bob Morales posted:

It's worse when Level 1 can't make out the name of the person they're talking too and tries userIDs at almost random until they get one that's in the database. Then you have to run one person down, who has no idea what you're talking about.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
When I was Level 1, I could never remember the person's name on the phone.
every time I picked up the phone. They would always say their name in the beginning. And then after troubleshooting on the phone. I would always forget the name and ask them again. While not trying to make it seem that I forget their name.
"so what was your username again?"
It's like my mind goes autopilot when picking up the phone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

every time I picked up the phone. They would always say their name in the beginning. And then after troubleshooting on the phone. I would always forget the name and ask them again. While not trying to make it seem that I forget their name.

"Could you give me your name/username again, to make sure I have it spelt right in the ticket?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sefal posted:

I found what helped me was to repeat the person's name back at them when they tell me. Bonus points, they'll correct you if you're wrong for whatever reason.

This doesn't really help with usernames though since I usually only deal with first names and departments.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Could you give me your name/username again, to make sure I have it spelt right in the ticket?"

If my name was Dave Smith I'd be asking to be fowarded on to someone who is confident they can spell that correctly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New employee that started yesterday, didn't realize her name was wrong until we had her sign in. Thanks lovely manager !

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'd use the username to search for the full name in the AD. Previous company had 600 people.
Where I am now is much smaller so this issue doesn't exist for now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

New employee that started yesterday, didn't realize her name was wrong until we had her sign in. Thanks lovely manager !

I had a user not realize for a year their name was wrong. They had to type it in every day, in a system where you can't change or delete a user since records are tied to a users name and there is no ID number.

They had to keep it, we don't make a second account outside the first week or so of whenever they finally login. It's not bad when it's just first week mostly not important stuff but if you need to track what someone did with a customer you'd have to filter on 2 names and remember that.

Their boss ended up chewing them out for not saying anything sooner and the one that didn't want to deal with tracking 2 accounts. Theirs also not a way to lock an account beyond change the password to gibberish and remove most permissions. Don't leave permissions blank though! If you do that they have super admin! Why yes I've forgotten to add permissions to a user a time or two, the program is garbage.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Only times I worked L1 we had to put in the caller's username and got the whole profile in our ticket system. But one of those times our ticket system was Lotus Notes so it was a different kind of suffering.

I weep for future helldesk slaves when the new generation of Alycias and Brendaenns join the workforce.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

pixaal posted:

you can't change or delete a user since records are tied to a users name and there is no ID number.
As a SQL Dev, this makes me legit angry.

pixaal posted:

the program is garbage.
Glad you reached the correct conclusion.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NtotheTC posted:

If my name was Dave Smith I'd be asking to be fowarded on to someone who is confident they can spell that correctly.

Sorry, the manager's busy.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Smyth is more common than you'd think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

chyaroh posted:

Smyth is more common than you'd think.

Daiyve and Daiyv appear to also be ways that people have chosen to spell Dave as well. I'd just verify everything to be safe.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Renegret posted:

I found what helped me was to repeat the person's name back at them when they tell me. Bonus points, they'll correct you if you're wrong for whatever reason.

This doesn't really help with usernames though since I usually only deal with first names and departments.

I keep a pad of post-its so I can jot it down. If I don't write it immediately, it's just gone.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sefal posted:

When it's my helpdesk day in the rotation, I have OneNote up and type up what's going on and who i'm talking to, as they're explaining the problem. quick notes have saved my rear end.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fil5000 posted:

Daiyve and Daiyv appear to also be ways that people have chosen to spell Dave as well. I'd just verify everything to be safe.

Were they going for a Nathan Barley vibe?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

Were they going for a Nathan Barley vibe?

Well, it certainly READS as wanky and tiresome, so I'm going to go with yes.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Bob Morales posted:

Better not ever work in a hospital, then, because doctors do this poo poo all the time. The best part is that they'll do this and then dodge any attempt to get in touch with them to resolve the issue, and then complain it never got taken care of. gently caress doctors.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Muffinlord posted:

Better not ever work in a hospital, then, because doctors do this poo poo all the time. The best part is that they'll do this and then dodge any attempt to get in touch with them to resolve the issue, and then complain it never got taken care of. gently caress doctors.

lol if you think doctors do gently caress-all for themselves instead of having their secretary/admin assistant (who has all of his passwords and all of his accounts sync'd to their devices as well) do it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

lol if you think doctors do gently caress-all for themselves instead of having their secretary/admin assistant (who has all of his passwords and all of his accounts sync'd to their devices as well) do it.

This.

I've never done hospital work, but have supported a couple small clinics and private practices.

You're the help, you never get to talk to the doctor yourself, everything goes through reception/nurses.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
A ticket came in from a Senior Engineer.

"x default password is not working, do you have to log into y system to set this first?"
then proceeds to send us the rest of the email form... with a copy of the asset tag that literally states "Default Password: xxxx"

Told my supervisor that I was taking the rest of the day off cause that email broke me and that I would be drinking bleach to get rid of the memory.

He said "My ex wife tells me Anti Freeze and Bleach go well over Ice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The Fool posted:

This.

I've never done hospital work, but have supported a couple small clinics and private practices.

You're the help, you never get to talk to the doctor yourself, everything goes through reception/nurses.

I worked in a hospital, you get to talk to the doctors there, because even though they try to delegate as much as they can, they can't get away from it there.

• Locked thread