Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Do I have to periodically murder somebody to keep my reputation low or just not be the goody goody nice guy in dialogue?

There are definitely some dialogue options that lower your rep...not sure how many. Having Viconia join lowers your rep. I think stealing works too (it's been awhile). But killing is probably the most convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
From time to time you might even want to be increasing your reputation. The game spawns guards on most maps if it's too low, which turns things into a bit of a slog, and all the store items will cost more. You can donate to a temple to increase your reputation, though, so it's not too difficult to keep yourself in a decent spot.

If you want, there's a tweakpack option to stop NPCs complaining/leaving at high reputation - you can then just pick the evil options that suit you and not worry too much if your reputation gets high from completing quests.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adeptus posted:

From time to time you might even want to be increasing your reputation. The game spawns guards on most maps if it's too low, which turns things into a bit of a slog, and all the store items will cost more. You can donate to a temple to increase your reputation, though, so it's not too difficult to keep yourself in a decent spot.

If you want, there's a tweakpack option to stop NPCs complaining/leaving at high reputation - you can then just pick the evil options that suit you and not worry too much if your reputation gets high from completing quests.

The tweak pack also has an option that changes the reputation system so that you get cheap stores for a really low reputation (under the theory that they're terrified of you)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On a related note, Planescape has probably the only well done Evil route I've seen in games like this. That is to say it's less "I am Darkside Revan and will make this dancer trip over her shoes because I'm a dingus" and more "I am a genuine sociopath and none of this is remotely cool on any level"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

On a related note, Planescape has probably the only well done Evil route I've seen in games like this. That is to say it's less "I am Darkside Revan and will make this dancer trip over her shoes because I'm a dingus" and more "I am a genuine sociopath and none of this is remotely cool on any level"

Still never finished an evil Planescape playthrough. Doubt I ever will. I think to do it, you'll either need to be skipping all of the dialogue so you don't see the emotional responses characters in the game will have to your manipulations and sociopathy, or be a legit sociopath yourself to actually finish an evil playthrough.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Still never finished an evil Planescape playthrough. Doubt I ever will. I think to do it, you'll either need to be skipping all of the dialogue so you don't see the emotional responses characters in the game will have to your manipulations and sociopathy, or be a legit sociopath yourself to actually finish an evil playthrough.

Yeah, same. Besides, I think the story works a little better if you're a good Nameless One. It sets up a great contrast with the fact that pretty much every bad thing that ever happened to any of your companions is down to one of your previous incarnations being an utter bastard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This whole "Lawful Evil" character thing has been an interesting exercise just trying to get into that headspace. What's my motivation for doing evil acts? I'm not tying women to railroad ties or anything. Basically I'm obsessed with the accumulation of power, but I respect my allies if they work for me (not "with" me).

Party comp will eventually be:
Me (Fighter)
Montaron
Xzar
Viconia
Dorn
Garrick

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

...why Garrick?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Yea, you can do some heinously cruel things to people in Planescape, hell just reading about the past incarnations actions makes you feel like a dick.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sebzilla posted:

...why Garrick?

I'd like a bard in the party. Then again there's that other bard I can get I think.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I'd like a bard in the party. Then again there's that other bard I can get I think.

Eldoth, who is a bit of a dick. He has poison arrows though which is handy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

sebzilla posted:

...why Garrick?

Basically the definition of a "useful idiot".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Garrick is the worst NPC in the game, mechanically speaking. His stats are garbage and bards are also garbage. I'd recommend that evil dwarf in Beregost instead.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like I need to have a bard in my party for ~*class fantasy*~. Plus they have fast progression which increases the effect of lower level arcane spells if cast.

I have no clue what my party will be in BG2.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Garrick is the worst NPC in the game, mechanically speaking. His stats are garbage and bards are also garbage. I'd recommend that evil dwarf in Beregost instead.

Oh yeah, this is true. His stats are terrible and he doesn't even have any redeeming qualities like Tiax's ghoul summon. I rolled a random party for a Wild mage playthrough of the series and he is the only one I ended up regretting.

This despite half the party killing each other or absconding. It wasn't pretty.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guess I'll swap to Eldoth once I get to the area where he's recruitable. In general my comp is Fighter, Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Thief, Utility. Swap one fighter with Paladin or Ranger as the mood strikes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The thing about bards and their spell power progression is that while it's true that bards level faster than a mages and thus their spells will scale quicker, bards also unlock spell tiers MUCH slower. Bards unlock tier 3 spells at level 7, which requires 40,000 XP. Mages unlock tier 3 spells at level 5, which requires 20,000 XP. It doesn't matter if the bard is casting 6th level Agannazar's Scorchers if the mage is casting 5th level Fireballs. This discrepancy only increases with time. Bards max out at 5th tier spells, and require 1,320,000 XP to get there. Mages hit tier 5 at only 135,000 XP.

Bards compare with mages only at extremely low levels, but even in the very narrow xp band when their spell power is competitive, it's better to just leave the bard's party slot empty entirely so that the mage gets more xp, and just use wands for the time being. Almost all wands are scaled as if they were 6th-8th level casters, and they are plentiful.

Edwin, the evil mage available in Nashkel, is the most powerful NPC in BG1. He's single-class so he levels fast, he has 16 CON, and he has that bullshit amulet that gives him free spell slots for no downside. An evil party run should absolutely take Edwin every time, full stop.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So drop Xzar and Montaron and pick up Edwin plus some evil thief? I'm not too terribly concerned about min maxing or anything so long as the party is evil.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vargatron posted:

So drop Xzar and Montaron and pick up Edwin plus some evil thief? I'm not too terribly concerned about min maxing or anything so long as the party is evil.

I myself prefer two mages, so I would keep both Xzar and Montaron.

But if you prefer only having one you can keep Montaron while ditching Xzar by just killing Xzar and then ejecting his corpse from the party, or else sending him into a random house by himself and then kicking him out of the party there. Montaron only leaves the party if you kick out Xzar and Xzar then talks to you, which he can't do if he's dead or in another area.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Vargatron posted:

Shar-teel makes for a good thief if you dual class her, iirc.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Someone has soloed through the entire game as a minimal stat bard, so whoever you pick will result in a game winning party for sure! A good evil thief could be Shar-Teel dual classed after you take a few levels of fighter. She can be picked up to the East of Beregost.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I figured I'd be good to go with whoever. I'm playing on Enhanced Edition normal difficulty instead of AD&D rules so it makes things a bit easier than the vanilla game. Thanks for the input fellas.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I seem to recall someone almost beating the game on one of the ironman threads by using a minimum-stats jester who spent the majority of the game with the Drunk debuff on. I think he only died because the player controlling him got drunk in real life and did some dumb stuff.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One of the best things about Planescape is that the incredibly evil dude who has ruined the lives of almost everyone he came across isn't The Evil Incarnation he is The Practical Incarnation

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Garrick can use wands which automatically makes him a decent addition even if he has nothing else going for him.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Pwnstar posted:

One of the best things about Planescape is that the incredibly evil dude who has ruined the lives of almost everyone he came across isn't The Evil Incarnation he is The Practical Incarnation

The terror of the practical incarnation is not that he's mustache-twirlingly evil, it's that he is unerringly selfish and defines things around him entirely in terms of "will this benefit me, y/n". He is willing to do monstrous things as long as there's a benefit to it, but he doesn't seem to take any pleasure in it. He just does it because it helps him win, and nothing is really off-limits. If he could reach his goals by petting guinea pigs all day, he would. It just happens that cold brutality is much more efficient.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 28, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's a bit in the game where you dive in to the practical incarnation's memory and he's manipulating deionarra. It's really unsettling how the writing style changes and he almost gets off on doing it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

There's a bit in the game where you dive in to the practical incarnation's memory and he's manipulating deionarra. It's really unsettling how the writing style changes and he almost gets off on doing it.

And the part where you see it from her end.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Any word on how PST:EE sold? Haven't heard a lot of talk about it sadly. Did my bit by pre-ordering anyway.

Hope it sold well enough to get us IWD2:EE at any rate!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

They just published a really positive blog today: http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/04/whats-next-for-planescape-torment.html
Beamdog have suggested at different times that they would like to do a new game connected to Baldur's Gate, and a d&d game using 5th edition rules. That doesn't rule out IWD2, but I'm betting on something new.

Personally I'd like to see a enhanced edition Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansion, but I'm pretty sure the IP is tied up in some MMO.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I really hope they do something totally new with 5th edition. IWD2 is really not that good and most of the game is a slog imo. I just recall turning the diff all the way down and just wading through that huge boring ice dungeon after the airship crash. I actually quit because it was just too much of a slog even up to that point.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That sounds really good, thanks for linking. Glad that it's been successful as it's tied with Fallout 1 and 2 as my favourite RPGs of all time, and this release is essential to keep it playable on newer machines. (Thankfully the early Fallouts got fixed up by modders a while back and Bethesda incorporated them into the latest Steam and Gog releases)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vargatron posted:

Do I have to periodically murder somebody to keep my reputation low or just not be the goody goody nice guy in dialogue?

Just keep your reputation below 18 and you should be fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mitochondritom posted:

Yea, you can do some heinously cruel things to people in Planescape, hell just reading about the past incarnations actions makes you feel like a dick.

This kind of thing is why I never finished an evil playthrough of Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Mask of the Betrayer. I'm all for the odd bout of playing a supervillain, but some of that poo poo is wrong.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

This kind of thing is why I never finished an evil playthrough of Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Mask of the Betrayer. I'm all for the odd bout of playing a supervillain, but some of that poo poo is wrong.

I mean...it's not called Mask of the Friend-haver :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I mean...it's not called Mask of the Friend-haver :v:

Yes it is, and that friend is a rainbow colored bear god.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Convex posted:

Any word on how PST:EE sold? Haven't heard a lot of talk about it sadly. Did my bit by pre-ordering anyway.

Hope it sold well enough to get us IWD2:EE at any rate!

PS:T has been one of the top sellers on GOG for awhile. Since the EE is now the only (digital) version you can buy, it'll do fine long term.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mask of the Betrayer has a great evil path, its just a constant escalation of you doing more and more ridiculously evil things.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I forgot how stupid low level AD&D combat was, but now I'm smooth sailing after the Nashkel Mines. Bard was a terrible idea so I got another character that's actually useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Hey Kirk, are you still taking bug reports on Torment? Drusilla disappears after freeing Ignus. You can still see her floating text above where she should be in the bar, but her sprite is missing. A quick google shows this is a bug from the original release.

Great work, btw. Thoroughly enjoying my very first playthrough, which is crazy considering how much I play BG & BG2.